This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Admiral Charly McPie

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I am a veterinary student in my final year at university and I got the rare chance to do an internship at a vet clinic on Guam. But I am from Germany, so I will have to obtain a so-called J-1 visa in order to ever set a foot on US-territory and start my internship.

Everything is sorted out except for the visa.

Apparently, 4 parties are involved in the visa application process:
1. The student
2. The host (vet clinic)
3. The US-embassy
4. A sponsoring agency

And number 4 is giving me quite a headache at the moment.

It is super hard to find a sponsoring agency who would even consider sponsoring veterinary internships, especially when the placement is located far from the US-mainland. I am running against closed doors. :(

I talked to about 100 people from different professions over the past few weeks but none of them was actually able to help me. They just keep telling me how unique and exotical my case is and that they had never encountered such cases before. None of them wants to be the first one to do it either ;).

Well, here we go. I am stuck and I feel I am running out of options.
Still, I am refusing to give up on my dream. I cannot believe there is no way. :bored:

All I have left to do is, to somehow find a person who "did it all before". :idea:

So if you know of any foreigner who had to obtain a visa for Guam in order to start an internship in a medically related field, please please let me know.

Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

just to be clear, when you say 'internship,' do you mean a fourth-year externship while you're still in school? Or are you referring to apost Dvm job offer?

If the latter, the company offering you the internship should foot the costs of sponsorship. If it's just for a few week externship though, I guess I could see why it's thorny.

At the moment I am still an enrolled university student (in EU we study 5.5 years at vet-uni before we graduate as DVM) so it is rather a few week externship then.
The visa category J-1 is the so-called "internship" category though. That may explain the confusion with the terms used. ;)