Friday thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Woodfords is good. I’ve been liking the larceny and Lexington at the 25ish dollars pricepoint
I’ve wondered about Larceny. I’ve seen it around, but never tried it.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
FC9055DE-2E35-4A5E-8461-281276F1AF4D.jpeg
Cheers!

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Is it ok to post here today? It is, after all, Friday (at least where I am right now).

I'm doing a Rugged Maniac Race tomorrow. Never done one before, so excited but a little nervous. I am neither rugger nor a maniac and am probably to old for such foolishness. Sunday we will visit my 1st year college student daughter for the first time, whence I will try to convince her pick a different major (she currently want to do psychology, of all things!).

As Rebecca Black would agree, it definitely is Friday.

I have some sports playoffs this weekend to play in. Also a baby shower, and bartending a friend's small wedding.

And @ClinicalABA , if your daughter finishes with a degree in psych, we're going to consider you a failed parent. As a household with MD and PhD parents, we're forbidding our kids from going into either field.

I have some sports playoffs this weekend to play in. Also a baby shower, and bartending a friend's small wedding.

And @ClinicalABA , if your daughter finishes with a degree in psych, we're going to consider you a failed parent. As a household with MD and PhD parents, we're forbidding our kids from going into either field.
She attends one of the premier schools for business in the country, too! At least they will make her minor in the business school...

I've found the best way to motivate a teenager to do something is for their parents to forbid it. So, MD-PhDs for your kids Wis?

Reactions: 1 users

Katy Perry agreed last week.

I need to scrounge up some bourbon and watch some sportsball!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Last week I finally restocked my bar, mostly bourbon, whiskey, scotch. I grabbed some common but enjoyable options like Eagle Rare (10yr), Speyburn (10yr), and Rowan’s Creek (12yr, I think?). I also found a bottle of Nikka Wisky (the last of 3 they were allotted), Four Roses single barrel (Barrel Strength), and Mashbuild (a limited edition I think, finished in Cab Sauv barrels).

I was tempted by a bottle of The Cream of Kentucky (11.5yr), which my local guy said has been hard to find. I’ve never had it, and while it seems to have quite a bit of hype...I wasn’t going to spend $150 on it blindly. I was torn bc I really like Jim Rutledge (former head spirit guy at Four Roses). It’s his first release as far as I know since he left 4R.

A few years ago Jim brought up a bunch of rare stuff he had from 4R for a private tasting with a small group of us. Heck a fun night, and it gave me an idea of what his own solo stuff may be like. The KC is not his own (yet), but made from his choices, so that was the other reason I passed.

It's Friday peeps, what's going on?

Rec vball, taking a friend out for his bday, and brewing a batch of beer. If there is enough time, going to build a copper still. At some point I need to empty and clean all of my outside planters for winter, because...adulating.

Going out to dinner tonight and then seeing a musical tomorrow (which, for those of you who don't know me, is like my favorite thing to do). Also, all of my afternoon patients cancelled so that's nice... although I've also noticed it makes the day seem to go slower.

Going out to dinner tonight and then seeing a musical tomorrow (which, for those of you who don't know me, is like my favorite thing to do). Also, all of my afternoon patients cancelled so that's nice... although I've also noticed it makes the day seem to go slower.

Can't you just go home after you finish up?

Catching up on some paperwork today. Probably gonna claim to work a half day and then, let's be honest.... work until 7. Then dinner with friends tonight. Long run Saturday, taking an antique table to the restoration guys, followed by a whole pig roast at a friend's house. Sunday will either be working on presentations, chores, or brunch.

The federal holidays are nice, at least. But the leave request administrative requirements are...cumbersome.

Yeah, you guys definitely get more days off. But, I'd say that my 30-35 hour work weeks offset that overall :)
I'm actually going to be butting up against my PTO cap, may need to take some official days off soon.

Yeah, you guys definitely get more days off. But, I'd say that my 30-35 hour work weeks offset that overall :)
I'm actually going to be butting up against my PTO cap, may need to take some official days off soon.

I lost PTO last year, without realizing it for a couple months, because I was over the cap. Nothing egregious (~40 hours), but I was still frustrated when I noticed it. Bah. Not being able to buy back leave is a bit of a bummer.

I lost PTO last year, without realizing it for a couple months, because I was over the cap. Nothing egregious (~40 hours), but I was still frustrated when I noticed it. Bah. Not being able to buy back leave is a bit of a bummer.

Yeah, only way you get that paid out, is by leaving the VA. Having about a month and a half of pay coming to me when I left was a nice chunk of change.

PsyDr: How about dictating presentations while doing chores and eating bacon...?

It's been a long week. Dinner tonight, then not much other than mowing the lawn sometime this weekend.

True story: during fellowship/residency I would pace the length of my apartment while dictating. A neighbor eventually knocked on the door because all he saw was a guy walking back and forth and talking to himself for hours each night. Once I explained, we had a good laugh. Nice guy. Went to his wedding.

You guys need to jump on the PP train. Time off is whenever you want.

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
True story: during fellowship/residency I would pace the length of my apartment while dictating. A neighbor eventually knocked on the door because all he saw was a guy walking back and forth and talking to himself for hours each night. Once I explained, we had a good laugh. Nice guy. Went to his wedding.

I don't entirely disagree.

Also, this story makes me want to start dictating.

I'm not business minded-enough for PP. I also like being paid regardless of patients showing or not.

brewing a batch of beer.
what are you brewing?

Yesterday, I took a gallon of a Belgian brown and added some hot peppers and a shot of apple brandy to it for a small batch of holiday beer.

what are you brewing?

Yesterday, I took a gallon of a Belgian brown and added some hot peppers and a shot of apple brandy to it for a small batch of holiday beer.

Thinking of doing a spiced rye for the season. Haven't brewed beer in several months. Too busy to find a brew day, but have started ageing three 1-gallon batches of mead and a case of wine.

Your original post said something like “all of my afternoon patients cancelled so hrm.” I figured hrm was an acronym that I hadn’t heard of and went to urban dictionary. And now I’m dead :rofl:

Attachments

• F0402E7A-EBD0-49F8-9174-600F8F3A3CCC.jpeg
    F0402E7A-EBD0-49F8-9174-600F8F3A3CCC.jpeg
    98.8 KB · Views: 65
  • Haha
I'm not business minded-enough for PP. I also like being paid regardless of patients showing or not.

I’m making the shift to private practice and will keep working my way through this book over the weekend. So far, it’s a very helpful resource.

Amazon product

I’m also working on trawling this board for PP nuggets, of which there are many. If I get it together, I can share that in a separate thread for anyone who’s interested.

Otherwise...leaf peeping in New England and planning a New York theater trip!

Your original post said something like “all of my afternoon patients cancelled so hrm.” I figured hrm was an acronym that I hadn’t heard of and went to urban dictionary. And now I’m dead :rofl:

I changed it because "hrm" seemed nefarious to me ;)

Otherwise...leaf peeping in New England and planning a New York theater trip!

Ooh, what are you planning on seeing?

Also, the rest of my scheduled pts this morning either no showed or cancelled...

I changed it because "hrm" seemed nefarious to me ;)

Ooh, what are you planning on seeing?

Also, the rest of my scheduled pts this morning either no showed or cancelled...

I have no idea! Last night my man friend surprised me with the gift of a birthday trip to NYC next weekend and suggested that I pick out a couple of shows. I’m sitting with The New Yorker in my lap to get some ideas. Any recommendations?

@msgeorgeeliot

Free advice which I debated about posting before:

1) Some public libraries have wall art that you can check out. It's not a bad resource for when you are starting out lean.
2) Get a HIPPA compliant phone. Do not text, as this isn't HIPPA on most lines.
3) When buying office furniture, it is a good idea to spend a little more on actual antiques. That way you can depreciate them on taxes, but sell them at cost years down the line.
4) AMEX business platinum for the win. Use it for large purchases, as there is a 120 day insurance if you accidentally damage the purchase. Drop a laptop? They'll replace it. Plus you get all the bonus stuff like status on planes and whatnot.

One of the positives of a 3+moth waiting list, is that patients seem to cancel/no show far less often. Though I suspect a large portion of that variance is not seeing VA patients anymore as well.

I have no idea! Last night my man friend surprised me with the gift of a birthday trip to NYC next weekend and suggested that I pick out a couple of shows. I’m sitting with The New Yorker in my lap to get some ideas. Any recommendations?

Awesome! I would recommend Hadestown, Hamilton (if you haven't seen it yet), and Come From Away (although the tour is fantastic too). I also am very intrigued by the Oklahoma revival so might check that out.

There's a show transferring in the spring that I think you'll like, btw - it's called Six the Musical and it's basically about the wives of Henry VIII taking back their stories. It's an all female cast, a fantastic score, and just one of the most feminist shows I've seen in a long time.

• Love
@msgeorgeeliot

Free advice which I debated about posting before:

1) Some public libraries have wall art that you can check out. It's not a bad resource for when you are starting out lean.
2) Get a HIPPA compliant phone. Do not text, as this isn't HIPPA on most lines.
3) When buying office furniture, it is a good idea to spend a little more on actual antiques. That way you can depreciate them on taxes, but sell them at cost years down the line.
4) AMEX business platinum for the win. Use it for large purchases, as there is a 120 day insurance if you accidentally damage the purchase. Drop a laptop? They'll replace it. Plus you get all the bonus stuff like status on planes and whatnot.

Thank you! You are the source of lots of good tips that I’m compiling. On the phone topic, I’m researching the options. Google voice apparently offers a paid service that is hipaa compliant, which is intriguing in that I perhaps wouldn’t need to get a separate phone or land line. I’m not sure about that yet, though. I’ll include what I learn in the new thread that I will hopefully get it together to compile.

Awesome! I would recommend Hadestown, Hamilton (if you haven't seen it yet), and Come From Away (although the tour is fantastic too). I also am very intrigued by the Oklahoma revival so might check that out.

There's a show transferring in the spring that I think you'll like, btw - it's called Six the Musical and it's basically about the wives of Henry VIII taking back their stories. It's an all female cast, a fantastic score, and just one of the most feminist shows I've seen in a long time.

Thank you so much! This gives me a great start.

Or just transfer to home-based primary care/ tele-health psych and get a tele-work agreement with the VA. No one has any clue where I am at any given time. Right now, on my couch at home doing paperwork.

I did the exact same thing during fellowship....:laugh: I actually picked up the habit from grad school when I would practice conference talks/lectures. I did 90% of my reading in a hammock, so the pacing was a nice change.

I did the exact same thing during fellowship....:laugh: I actually picked up the habit from grad school when I would practice conference talks/lectures. I did 90% of my reading in a hammock, so the pacing was a nice change.
T4C question, what percentage of mtbi cases can be attributed to people falling out of a hammock?

I was out late last night with some friends and took today off to relax and work on my golf game. I’ve had a couple of injuries this season, so it has really limited my ability to play. I’m playing a great course on Sunday, so I wanted to get some range time in and i’ll probably play a twilight round.

I totally will talk broadway shows with you both! I have a few shows I still want to see. I still haven’t seen Hamilton, so that is probably next up, but i’m definitely seeing Waitress, as I love Sara B.

I have a soft spot for classic musicals, but some of the newer shows are really good too. Book of Mormon is great if you haven’t seen it yet. Hadestown too. Dear Evan Hanson is good, but different. I’m really hoping someone brings back “The Last Five Years”, which is somewhat lesser known, but a really well done show.

Have to teach my once per semester full-day class tomorrow. 6-8 hours of Single Subject Research Design! Hopefully yardwork/winter prep the plants Sunday, with ice hockey Sunday night.

Had an age-related standard medical screening today that involved general anesthesia, so no drinking tonight! It also involved no solid food since yesterday morning, plus a lovely “prep” procedure involving drinking a gallon of what could best be described, taste-wise as liquified plastic sandwich bags! It’s fun to get old!

• Love