Friend thought he did well on his Multiple Mini Interview (MMI)...rejected....why?!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Im76at711

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
What exactly do they look for here? My friend interviewed in Ohio a few weeks ago and said that he felt extremely good about his performance, and that he "clicked" with the interviewers, but he just recently got his rejection email.

Members don't see this ad.

Wrong thread section bro. But as someone who was recently outright rejected from a school that she thought she performed the best in (really clicked with interviewers, received multiple praises and they talked as if I was already accepted to the program), I can personally say you can never really tell how you did in the eyes of the interviewer. It could also be that the interview did go well, however admissions looked at the overall application afterwards and found red flags... There's literally no way you can know unless you call the admissions office.

Reactions: 2 users
Sorry about your rejection. The truth is, it's really hard to objectively assess your own performance during an interview. Maybe the interviewers weren't as impressed with you as you thought- they get training on not making their feelings obvious and not making applicants leave with a bad feeling.

Or maybe you did fine, but not well enough to overcome some deficit/red flag in your app.

You could ask for feedback, but it may or may not be helpful.

Good luck with the rest of the process!!

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
University of Cincinnati? They have a really tricky MMI, particularly the acting scenarios, and one's own impressions aren't always accurate.
lol. yes. IDK how many actor stations he had though.

Wrong thread section bro. But as someone who was recently outright rejected from a school that she thought she performed the best in (really clicked with interviewers, received multiple praises and they talked as if I was already accepted to the program), I can personally say you can never really tell how you did in the eyes of the interviewer. It could also be that the interview did go well, however admissions looked at the overall application afterwards and found red flags... There's literally no way you can know unless you call the admissions office.
1) sorry about posting this in the wrong thread (new to making threads)
2) sorry to hear about you getting rejected from the school you were so confident about.

Reactions: 1 user
Sorry about your rejection. The truth is, it's really hard to objectively assess your own performance during an interview. Maybe the interviewers weren't as impressed with you as you thought- they get training on not making their feelings obvious and not making applicants leave with a bad feeling.

Or maybe you did fine, but not well enough to overcome some deficit/red flag in your app.

You could ask for feedback, but it may or may not be helpful.

Good luck with the rest of the process!!
why would they call one in to interview if they are going to get hung up on some detail that they were aware of pre-interview. seems absolutely unfair and they are taking advantage of us and planting false hope.

Tell your friend to call them and ask why he was rejected. When I interviewed there they told us they'd be willing to review our applications if we got rejected.

Yeah the actors at Cincinnati are like way too good, one of the situations made me cry a little bit because I forgot that it wasn't real lol.

Yeah the actors at Cincinnati are like way too good, one of the situations made me cry a little bit because I forgot that it wasn't real lol.
LMAO. that is sort of funny...

why would they call one in to interview if they are going to get hung up on some detail that they were aware of pre-interview. seems absolutely unfair and they are taking advantage of us and planting false hope.

Because a stellar interview would have been able to convince them to overlook that detail. It's not unfair to give you a chance to make up for a shortcoming in person. And if the interview didn't reach "stellar" level, it's not unfair for them to say "Too bad."

A lot of confident interviewees actually suck at interviews. A shockingly high amount, actually. I blame it on kids that have been told they're great at everything their whole life who have thus developed poor abilities in regard to self-analysis.

Also the person who said not to trust what interviewers say is right on. Interviewers couldn't care if a close relative of yours died, they're there to evaluate you based on if you're fit for the school, and part of the job is to make you feel comfortable and feel like you did a good job regardless of how you actually performed.

It's dishonest for them to do, but just realize it and take what they say with a grain of salt.
well, then it goes back to my original question. What IS a good indicator of performance on MMIs? what do they look for? in general and also Cincinnati specifically. I mean I helped my friend by posing ethical questions to him to kind of get him in the swing, and I thought he did well. But then again, I do not know what "well" is.

Members don't see this ad :)
1) sorry about posting this in the wrong thread (new to making threads)
2) sorry to hear about you getting rejected from the school you were so confident about.

Haha 1) no worries, and 2) thanks for the condolences :) it definitely feels better having 10 other decisions to wait on but yah, the first one stings lol

Haha 1) no worries, and 2) thanks for the condolences :) it definitely feels better having 10 other decisions to wait on but yah, the first one stings lol
did you happen to tell them where you fell short?

edit: ask them, not tell them lol

Here is another friend I have that interviewed in California. Also an MMI. He said he got so nervous that he made a joke that tanked... and teh interviewer actually told him that he was not even close to answering the question.... He got in despite all of that... What gives?!! I am so confused o_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_O

A lot of confident interviewees actually suck at interviews. A shockingly high amount, actually. I blame it on kids that have been told they're great at everything their whole life who have thus developed poor abilities in regard to self-analysis.
I mean is it their personality? or their overly confident answers that are horribly off? or a little bit of both? Idk but I thought MMIs don't focus on personality as much as other (unknown, to me) things.

did you happen to tell them where you fell short?

edit: ask them, not tell them lol

I scheduled an appointment to discuss my application with admissions next week. Too bad I'll be 90% done with all of my interviews by that time, but hey at least it's something to give closure

I scheduled an appointment to discuss my application with admissions next week. Too bad I'll be 90% done with all of my interviews by that time, but hey at least it's something to give closure
if you do not mind or feel uncomfortable, I would love to hear any advice they give you.

Honestly they'll give you a bunch of vague characteristics like empathy, humanism, maturity, cultural competence etc. Each of these are very subjective and up to each interviewer and can vary a lot even though interviewers have "guidelines".

1).... ACTUALLY answer the question. If you talk too much it's easy to be interpreted as not answering the question.
are you saying that people may get off topic so much that they are giving the pros and cons on an unrelated scenario? do you have a short example of what you said?

if you do not mind or feel uncomfortable, I would love to hear any advice they give you.

Fo sho, I'll comment on this thread or PM you as soon as I get feedback

All subjective feels can be wrong. In the end it's something in writing that will let you know for sure, so why get so nervous when the situation is very much outta your hand.

What exactly do they look for here? My friend interviewed in Ohio a few weeks ago and said that he felt extremely good about his performance, and that he "clicked" with the interviewers, but he just recently got his rejection email.