Frontline protect against Sand Fleas?

Started by Doc 2b
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Doc 2b

Full Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey guy's i couldn't find an answer anywhere on the web. I thought you current Vet students might know? I'm moving to Florida and I'm wondering if the frontline i'm giving my dog will protect against sand fleas or do I need to switch to something differnt?
 
Doc 2b said:
Hey guy's i couldn't find an answer anywhere on the web. I thought you current Vet students might know? I'm moving to Florida and I'm wondering if the frontline i'm giving my dog will protect against sand fleas or do I need to switch to something differnt?

It really depends on what these "sand fleas" are. I did some research on the veterinary information network (VIN) for you and found that sand fleas can be: crustaceans that do not parasitize animals, blackflies (Simulium spp.), midges (Culicoides spp.), or even the domestic cat flea (Ctenocephalides felis).

Frontline would work on the cat flea but not likely blackflies or midges. Pyrethrins applied regularly may protect against midges, and perhaps blackflies.


Cindy
4th year student
Glasgow University Veterinary School