Full Tuition Prices for Online Education?! (Residential @St. Augustine)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Violet2020

USA San Marcos SPT
Reaction score
Is anyone else going into Fall 2020 being asked to pay full tuition while adapting to an online education model?

For fall I was told we are most likely going to be going in for a laboratory check one day/week, which is similar to what the flex peers do. They still are asking for $14,770.75/trimester. Flex students pay closer to $9,157/trimester.
I'm currently emailing everyone for answer to why it will not be decreased and they have yet to respond. Meanwhile, I am reading online about universities left and right being hit with class action lawsuits due to breaching contracts of what students were sold and signed up for vs what they got.

Let me know what you've heard at your school! Mine said they are definitely keeping the cohort closer to 70 students/trimester, and not capping the influx of students. Desks would be socially distant by 6 ft, and a room for a lab test would be by appointment only with 9 people/room maximum.

Members don't see this ad.

My school hasn't given us a super detailed answer to that question yet which is kind of annoying since I really want to know whether my classes will be online or in person. I do know that 3/6 classes will be online completely and the other three which have lab components will be a hybrid model. So around like 75% of our coursework will be online, but we are not having our tuition reduced. We actually had an increase in tuition this year for about $1200 for the Fall semester so I'm now paying $12,236 for the Fall. It is kind of frustrating but whenever we ask about tuition, they just give us links to scholarships :/

My school hasn't given us a super detailed answer to that question yet which is kind of annoying since I really want to know whether my classes will be online or in person. I do know that 3/6 classes will be online completely and the other three which have lab components will be a hybrid model. So around like 75% of our coursework will be online, but we are not having our tuition reduced. We actually had an increase in tuition this year for about $1200 for the Fall semester so I'm now paying $12,236 for the Fall. It is kind of frustrating but whenever we ask about tuition, they just give us links to scholarships :/
I should clarify, my campus is San Marcos. Funny enough, I think all of our campuses happen to be in hot spots for Covid-- I imagine with Florida the most. This week San Diego Unified School District actually mandated all of their schools to be online only this fall because 1 out of 100 people have tested positive.

Funny you had an increase-- in San Marcos my 2nd term student room mates said their planned tuition increase was canceled. They then refunded the students their trimester fees, a meager $160 or so which I assume was the gym membership.

Members don't see this ad :)
Is anyone else going into Fall 2020 being asked to pay full tuition while adapting to an online education model?

For fall I was told we are most likely going to be going in for a laboratory check one day/week, which is similar to what the flex peers do. They still are asking for $14,770.75/trimester. Flex students pay closer to $9,157/trimester.
I'm currently emailing everyone for answer to why it will not be decreased and they have yet to respond. Meanwhile, I am reading online about universities left and right being hit with class action lawsuits due to breaching contracts of what students were sold and signed up for vs what they got.

Let me know what you've heard at your school! Mine said they are definitely keeping the cohort closer to 70 students/trimester, and not capping the influx of students. Desks would be socially distant by 6 ft, and a room for a lab test would be by appointment only with 9 people/room maximum.

Flex program is 4 years. Full time program is 3 years. So if the cost of program is $100 (using this number for simplicity), Flex student will be paying $25 per year for 4 years (25 x 4 = 100) and Full time student will be paying $33 per year for 3 years (33 x 3 =100 [rounding]).

Reactions: 1 user
I understand your frustrations but they are misguided. You aren't paying for in-person education, online delivery, or "state of the art" facilities. At the end of the day you are paying for the school to prepare and sponsor you for your board exam. If you have good reason to believe the school will not deliver on their end I would immediately find a different school.

I tell anyone that will listen you should think of your total tuition cost as the cost of your license and choose schools accordingly. Higher education will get its reckoning, but unfortunately money makers like medical graduate programs will probably be the last to undergo meaningful change given the demand for those degrees is so high. In the history of our profession I don't think there has been a tougher time to be a part of it. Good luck.

Reactions: 1 user