Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
That's usually everyone's response when I tell them I'm not going straight to med school (So you had a bad GPA?)... I graduated with a 3.99 cGPA / 4.00 sGPA... 😡
So what was the one class you got a B in?
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
That's usually everyone's response when I tell them I'm not going straight to med school (So you had a bad GPA?)... I graduated with a 3.99 cGPA / 4.00 sGPA... 😡
So what was the one class you got a B in?
... actually I got an A- in two classes: a neuroscience class and a writing class.... actually I got an A- in two classes: a neuroscience class and a writing class.
Nice!... actually I got an A- in two classes: a neuroscience class and a writing class.
So true! I see classmates with this kind of pressure. It makes me happy that to my parents are like "Oh, look - she's breathing, we are so proud of her!"Sadly there are so many people who think the loss of 1 or 2 years of a doctors salary are going to make all the difference in the world when that is not the case. What's worse is these kids are often the kids of parents who think you have to live life on this strict time line and if you don't you are a failure in life. i see this with indians and asians especially who think that there is a strict timeline by which you have to finish education, get married, and ahve kids. Its quite sad to say the least.
Should I be surprised that this thread is mostly full of douchey comments? The whole premise is basically "Let's show how much we know about medical school admissions and being doctors vs. other premeds and laugh at them!"
As much as everyone is free to smugly amuse themselves with how much more they know than some of their peers, we are equally free to point out that this thread lacks a basic level of humility and respect that I had assumed most individuals possessed or valued. Jokes are jokes, but making jokes at others' expense isn't always that amusing...is that really surprising?
I feel like this thread is intended to be more lighthearted than it's appearing.
Alright I got a good story.
I went to a school in SC for undergrad, Emory is one of the closer "prestigious" schools. I was playing pool one day with this kid who goes to my school but was transferring to Emory because their cardiology program is one of the best and if he gets into the undergrad he is a guaranteed a spot in the cardiology program.
In addition to this, he mentioned he was double majoring in Bio and Business, but he planned on finishing his Business major during med school because he wasn't in a rush.
Ok so apart from the fact that he forgot about the whole med school before residency thing, he's also overweight, smokes, and drinks excessively... and wants to be a CARDIOLOGIST. lol
I'm not trying to talk **** about the kid because he's cool and whatever but he was very cocky about the whole thing.
Ok so apart from the fact that he forgot about the whole med school before residency thing, he's also overweight, smokes, and drinks excessively... and wants to be a CARDIOLOGIST. lol.
Sadly there are so many people who think the loss of 1 or 2 years of a doctors salary are going to make all the difference in the world when that is not the case. What's worse is these kids are often the kids of parents who think you have to live life on this strict time line and if you don't you are a failure in life. i see this with indians and asians especially who think that there is a strict timeline by which you have to finish education, get married, and ahve kids. Its quite sad to say the least.
fellow guju here..ya there are a lot of ppl like that and its really annoying..im doing well and i have the stats to get in to a good school straight out.
my parents are pushing me to take 2 years off though probably not wut u would expect from guju parents
i only want to take 1 year off to learn 2 languages (one of which is spanish, the other one, i think u know my fellow guju 😉) and i want to get into REALLY GOOD physical shape..these are things u CANNOT do in med school, most certainly cannot do in residency and will find very very hard to do once u get a job..most premeds are very narrow-minded..
there are a lot of indians who are doctors, and these parents must know that 1 year really isn't a big deal..yet when searching for a spouse for their kid they all of a sudden place so much importance on adhering to the strict timeline...life is weird🙁
yeah I agree with this post fully. I'm glad ur parents are not pushing u to live ur life on a strict time table. i did meet a couple of telugu south indians whose parents were also not that uber pushy and it was a refreshing change fromt he doom and gloom that u see with a lot of desi and asian families.
I'm not so sure cocky is the right word. I'd say uninformed is more like it.
I love it when people don't keep track of their lies.What I heard wasn't necessarily an uninformed statement, but just a stupid statement that made this pre-med look so full of b.s.
Early on in the semester: "Yeah, man I got a perfect 4.0 all throughout undergrad."
Later on in the semester: "I'll be going to med school in the Caribbean."
What a liar about his "4.0".I love it when people don't keep track of their lies.
Could be an MCAT score...
I doubt someone with a 4.0 does that bad on the MCAT. I mean even with a mid 20s score you could go DO with a 4.0, heck even MDs if you have a strong enough app.
He was cocky about how he said things. Like bragging basically about something you haven't done yet and are very misinformed about. I didn't mention I was premed at all or that I had been accepted because at that point I would have had to explain an entire process which could easily be googled.
Yeah it is amazing how the process is so easily to figure out if u do your own research but so many people I know look at me like whoa how do I know so much. yet, I always feel like saying if you'd stop acting like a helpless, lazy premed you would now how. I never say it but it is what i feel like saying. It amazes me how many are so ill informed of the process to med school.When I tell my undereducated relatives that I'm working and planning on going to med school (take note, I will be the first person on that side of the family to attend college, much less anything past those first four years) they ask me to cure all the congenital diseases they collectively have. So far I'm scheduled to cure cancer, huntington's, cystic fibrosis, and diabetes.![]()

Because med school acceptances means that you're smart and grad students aren't...maybe they're just the same obtuse people as those mentioned in this thread...LOL what an idiot. I bet some of those grad students were premed at some point before they bombed the mcat or realized they were too stupid for med school. I wonder if they all rallied around that annoying little brat afterward and took turns kicking him, because that is what I would like to do.
Because med school acceptances means that you're smart and grad students aren't...maybe they're just the same obtuse people as those mentioned in this thread...
And the obsessiveness over grades and numbers...someone might have done better than you on paper, but you can still turn out to be a better person and doctor than them. that 4.0 gpa with a 20 mcat just means they worked their tail off. who knows how they'll fare as a doctor? there is such thing as a great doctor...
Because med school acceptances means that you're smart and grad students aren't...maybe they're just the same obtuse people as those mentioned in this thread...
And the obsessiveness over grades and numbers...someone might have done better than you on paper, but you can still turn out to be a better person and doctor than them. that 4.0 gpa with a 20 mcat just means they worked their tail off. who knows how they'll fare as a doctor? there is such thing as a great doctor...
I think you isn't smart.I think premeds think everyone except premeds isn't smart.
jk"[There's a school called] Case Western Reserve? I think you're making it up."
there are a lot of indians who are doctors, and these parents must know that 1 year really isn't a big deal..yet when searching for a spouse for their kid they all of a sudden place so much importance on adhering to the strict timeline...life is weird🙁
At an interview a couple weeks ago....
Everyone was looking through their folders to see who their interviewers were. One guy asked one of the interview day organizers this question:
"What does PhD mean?" (referring to one of his interviewers' name)
I get this all the time. Most people just think it's just another community college 🙄
Ah yes, and I am slated to cure Rheumatoid Arthritis. Good luck to you in your respective fields, sir or madame.![]()
that 4.0 gpa with a 20 mcat just means they worked their tail off. who knows how they'll fare as a pharmacy tech?
"I'm going to take my MCAT in September and submit my primary on the day of the deadline." 😱
😕
I don't really have many quotes, I associated with the "successful" pre-meds who knew what they were talking about for the most part, just a couple people who put on their Facebook "Radiology" or "Orthopaedic Surgeon" for the major in undergrad...
Or I remember the girl in my high school who came around telling everyone to join the Army because (I'm paraphrasing, it was about 6 years ago, I just remember calling her on her BS cuz it was foul):
"[The Army] can train me to be a doctor in 6 weeks. Going to school for 8 years is dumb, would you rather spend 6 weeks or 8 years learning medicine? Then when I finish the Army I'll be a doctor and make $XXX,XXX while most people are still in school"

I was at a book store skimming the anatomy books and contemplating getting a coloring book.
I know what you mean...😕
I don't really have many quotes, I associated with the "successful" pre-meds who knew what they were talking about for the most part, just a couple people who put on their Facebook "Radiology" or "Orthopaedic Surgeon" for the major in undergrad...
Or I remember the girl in my high school who came around telling everyone to join the Army because (I'm paraphrasing, it was about 6 years ago, I just remember calling her on her BS cuz it was foul):
"[The Army] can train me to be a doctor in 6 weeks. Going to school for 8 years is dumb, would you rather spend 6 weeks or 8 years learning medicine? Then when I finish the Army I'll be a doctor and make $XXX,XXX while most people are still in school"
I think you isn't smart.jk
I want to be a neurologist,
it's a "brain doctor",
how did you do?
what was your score on the sections?I just don't really get the point. You get paid nothing DURING the four years of medical school, but suddenly when you do start getting paid something, it isn't enough? If everything is relative like you (I believe) said, wouldn't that 50K look like a small fortune after spending 4 years living on loans? I'm sure there are MS3 and MS4's living on ramen noodles who would gladly trade places with you...
Our mission is to provide students with free, unbiased information, resources, and advising for careers in the health professions. We believe every student deserves access to trustworthy guidance, regardless of background or ability to pay.