You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
Funny quotes from "less informed" premeds
Started by TheGloaming
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
- Status
- Not open for further replies.
My mom calls it the "Med-CAT" and I'm like ohh mom 🙄
haha... for a while my dad thought it was "Med-CAP" ... drove me nuts!

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
End of freshman year, a pre-med on my floor told me my major sucked because he was going to med school and would be making more money than me in the future. He was getting a C in all his basic science classes. I wished him luck.
Also, happy halloween everyone. 😀
Also, happy halloween everyone. 😀
I have bring this thread back....
After an interview the whole group of interviewees were all gathered for a final Q and A session and the presenter was talking about when decisions would go out and one of the interviewees asks, "Does the school accept a greater number of people than the number that end up attending the school?" I saw quite a fewlooks from around the room.
That act seems like a valid question to me since most schools probably do since some applicants that are accepted won't attend anyway. I don't think they just pull from the waitlist if someone decides not to go.. I know schools have run into issues with this in the past where they have even offered discounted tuition or something of the sort to start the year later because they accepted too many people and many ended up accepting their acceptance.
This is my single favorite SDN thread. By far. Let's bring it back. Makes me feel like I have a better chance.
My thoughts exactly


"What's D.O.?"
You have to be a science major.
or
You can't drop classes.
or
You can't drop classes.
"What's D.O.?"
Sadly, I've heard this before.
I didn't know what a DO was until I came to SDN. It's completely normal for people to not know the things that are specific to your life experiences, you know.😳
During interview day as we all sat around waiting for our interviews.
Pre-med 1: I work here blah blah.
Pre-med 2: Do you know this person? He works there.
Pre-med 1: No, but it is a big company maybe they work in a different department.
Pre-med 2: Oooh.... Do they drug test there? Because I want to work there!
Pre-med 1 & all of us: Huh? Why?
Pre-med 2: Ooh no reason.. I mean, I've worked many jobs and I've never had one.
😕
Pre-med 1: I work here blah blah.
Pre-med 2: Do you know this person? He works there.
Pre-med 1: No, but it is a big company maybe they work in a different department.
Pre-med 2: Oooh.... Do they drug test there? Because I want to work there!
Pre-med 1 & all of us: Huh? Why?
Pre-med 2: Ooh no reason.. I mean, I've worked many jobs and I've never had one.
😕
I didn't know what a DO was until I came to SDN. It's completely normal for people to not know the things that are specific to your life experiences, you know.
Same. Still didn't really understand it after 30 minutes on wikipedia 😳
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I didn't know what a DO was until I came to SDN. It's completely normal for people to not know the things that are specific to your life experiences, you know.😳
I'm in the same boat. In Oregon, D.O.s are not that common so I had no idea what it was until joining SDN.
"If you're going to be a surgeon, you should DEFINITELY dissect this earthworm perfectly. If not, then I feel bad for your future patients..."
I wanted to beat his ignorant *** to the ground.
I can relate to this so much. *dissecting a pig in Gen Bio 2 with freshman pre meds*
"What's D.O.?"
There are MD students that don't know what a DO is. It's certainly not strange for a pre-med to be unfamiliar with the degree. They are extremely rare in many parts of the country.
Pre-med in my dorm freshman year wore scrubs all day, every day. He said he wanted to "feel professional" because he planned on "double majoring in two really tough specialties" when he got into med school.
Pre-med in my dorm freshman year wore scrubs all day, every day. He said he wanted to "feel professional" because he planned on "double majoring in two really tough specialties" when he got into med school.
That is a new level of uninformed doucheness. Impressive.
You should have found out which two specialties he was going to major in during med schoolPre-med in my dorm freshman year wore scrubs all day, every day. He said he wanted to "feel professional" because he planned on "double majoring in two really tough specialties" when he got into med school.

I worked as a Medical Assistant in a dermatology clinic in high school to get some clinic experience. One day after class I was talking with my home ec teacher and about how I wanted to go to medical school and that I liked derm. She was appalled that I was still taking classes in high school and said that I NEEDED to start dual enrollment at the community college ASAP so I could "take dermatology classes and graduate to become a dermatologist!!"
sounds good to me 😉
sounds good to me 😉
"I'm going to study for like 2 months for my MCAT, I hear thats all you need to get a 40+" coming from a student who has all C's in their pre-reqs. I lol'd
another time I went to a pre-health club meeting and it was the first meeting of the year and the board members wanted us to say what medical fields we were interested so I said "Doctor...either MD or DO. Whichever I get into really" The board members got a super confused look on their face and said "...what's DO?" I got up and left because I knew the club was going to be useless
another time I went to a pre-health club meeting and it was the first meeting of the year and the board members wanted us to say what medical fields we were interested so I said "Doctor...either MD or DO. Whichever I get into really" The board members got a super confused look on their face and said "...what's DO?" I got up and left because I knew the club was going to be useless
Not really a pre-med story but sometime during the first couple weeks of college, my roommate were talking about our high school anatomy classes:
RM: Yeah, I know a lot about anatomy. My high school teacher went really in depth.
Me: Oh did he have a PhD or something?
RM: No, he was just really in depth. I bet what we did probably wasn't far off from what they do in medical school.
Me: 😕
RM: Yeah, I know a lot about anatomy. My high school teacher went really in depth.
Me: Oh did he have a PhD or something?
RM: No, he was just really in depth. I bet what we did probably wasn't far off from what they do in medical school.
Me: 😕
Pre-med in my dorm freshman year wore scrubs all day, every day. He said he wanted to "feel professional" because he planned on "double majoring in two really tough specialties" when he got into med school.
This made me lol out loud.


Was this him?
I had this conversation a few weeks ago with a friend who wants to be a doctor:
Me: hey, why are you dropping calc?
Friend: I decided to take an art class instead, so it'll look like I'm diverse.
Me: You know med school adcoms don't give a **** about what classes you took in high school right?
Friend: Actually, they do.
Me: 🙄 Okay, I'll ask Mrs. "X"(teacher at our school who is in charge of every health care related class and club at our school).
Me: Hey Mrs. X, do med school adcoms care about the classes you took in HS?
Teacher: Yes, its actually very important.
Me:
Me: hey, why are you dropping calc?
Friend: I decided to take an art class instead, so it'll look like I'm diverse.
Me: You know med school adcoms don't give a **** about what classes you took in high school right?
Friend: Actually, they do.
Me: 🙄 Okay, I'll ask Mrs. "X"(teacher at our school who is in charge of every health care related class and club at our school).
Me: Hey Mrs. X, do med school adcoms care about the classes you took in HS?
Teacher: Yes, its actually very important.
Me:

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Maybe he/she is applying for a BS/MD program?I had this conversation a few weeks ago with a friend who wants to be a doctor:
Me: hey, why are you dropping calc?
Friend: I decided to take an art class instead, so it'll look like I'm diverse.
Me: You know med school adcoms don't give a **** about what classes you took in high school right?
Friend: Actually, they do.
Me: 🙄 Okay, I'll ask Mrs. "X"(teacher at our school who is in charge of every health care related class and club at our school).
Me: Hey Mrs. X, do med school adcoms care about the classes you took in HS?
Teacher: Yes, its actually very important.
Me:![]()
There's a theme of making fun of pre-meds who don't know what a DO is, and I'd just like to clarify that I had no idea what one was until I was in med school.
My parents still think that DO's are chiropractors despite explaining multiple times.
"I went to the doctor again today, but they keep having me see this D.O, Do you know of a good real doctor I can see in town"
In parts of the country where there aren't DO's its pretty common for most people to be confused!
My parents still think that DO's are chiropractors despite explaining multiple times.
"I went to the doctor again today, but they keep having me see this D.O, Do you know of a good real doctor I can see in town"
In parts of the country where there aren't DO's its pretty common for most people to be confused!
Girl in my grade 12 class:
I'm going to become a brain surgeon.
She said that after failing grade 12 math.
Year later in undergrad:
I have to become a brain surgeon, I might not get into every school I apply to, but at least half will take me.
Highest mark: mid 60s
I'm going to become a brain surgeon.
She said that after failing grade 12 math.
Year later in undergrad:
I have to become a brain surgeon, I might not get into every school I apply to, but at least half will take me.
Highest mark: mid 60s
K
kpcrew
I didn't know what a DO was until I came to SDN. It's completely normal for people to not know the things that are specific to your life experiences, you know.😳
I also found out from sdn, on a DO vs MD thread. I recently found out that my mom goes to a DO but she didn't know what that was either until I told her.
Girl in my grade 12 class:
I'm going to become a brain surgeon.
She said that after failing grade 12 math.
Year later in undergrad:
I have to become a brain surgeon, I might not get into every school I apply to, but at least half will take me.
Highest mark: mid 60s
Maybe she meant half of the Caribbean
D
deleted413795
Pre-med in my dorm freshman year wore scrubs all day, every day. He said he wanted to "feel professional" because he planned on "double majoring in two really tough specialties" when he got into med school.
Oh yeah?! Well I am going to triple major in three moderately difficult specialties.

Don't do that, you'll be overwhelmed! Why not just minor in two and major in the one you enjoy most? 🙂Oh yeah?! Well I am going to triple major in three moderately difficult specialties.![]()
D
deleted413795
Don't do that, you'll be overwhelmed! Why not just minor in two and major in the one you enjoy most? 🙂
Good thinkin'. I don't want to have a Maalox moment in the first week of med school. 😛
lolz.. and then comes step 1...Maybe she meant half of the Caribbean

Maybe he/she is applying for a BS/MD program?
Didn't think of that, but his plan is to go the traditional route. What really pissed me off was the teacher's response. I mean she is the person that people go to when they're wondering about this stuff.

"What's D.O.?"
Im an MS1 at a top 15 MD school and this was a serious question by people in my class. They thought they say it wrong and it was supposed to be OD.
I wonder how much DO's in private practice can make, since so many potential clients don't even know what they do.Same. Still didn't really understand it after 30 minutes on wikipedia 😳
Last edited:
I had this conversation a few weeks ago with a friend who wants to be a doctor:
Me: hey, why are you dropping calc?
Friend: I decided to take an art class instead, so it'll look like I'm diverse.
Me: You know med school adcoms don't give a **** about what classes you took in high school right?
Friend: Actually, they do.
Me: 🙄 Okay, I'll ask Mrs. "X"(teacher at our school who is in charge of every health care related class and club at our school).
Me: Hey Mrs. X, do med school adcoms care about the classes you took in HS?
Teacher: Yes, its actually very important.
Me:![]()
*Sigh*
I have had similar conversations with the people in my life -- including, if not especially, teachers. For some reason that I do not understand, it is shocking and unbelievable to them that graduate and professionals schools not only do not care about what you did in high school; but do not even look at your high school records/transcripts and that, in fact, it i discouraged to talk about you did in your teenage years.
Sometimes I wonder if they just make these comments because they assume if they say "med schools do not care" that students will start slacking off? Why knows.
I wonder how much DO's in private practice can make, since so many potential clients don't even know what they do.
Wait, is this a serious question?
DOs make just as much as MDs, including in private practice. In fact, if you listen to some, those practicing primary care actually have the potential to make actually make a little bit more as they can use and bill for OMM.
Yes.Wait, is this a serious question?
DOs make just as much as MDs, including in private practice. In fact, if you listen to some, those practicing primary care actually have the potential to make actually make a little bit more as they can use and bill for OMM.
From my experience many, if not most, people are uninformed of the DO occupation. Why would they choose "John Smith, DO" over "John Smith, MD?"
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Yes.
From my experience many, if not most, people are uninformed of the DO occupation. Why would they choose "John Smith, DO" over "John Smith, MD?"
Think, for a moment, the way most people find out about and select their physicians.
Word of Mouth: X is looking for, say, a good OB/GYN for her prenatal care. Y just had a kid and saw Doctor A; in Y 's opinion, Doctor A was great. So, she recommends Doctor A to X and gives her the doctor's phone number. Nowhere in this conversation did the physician's degree -- MD or DO -- come up, just the fact that he was a doctor.
Referrals: For specialist care, many people get referred by their primary care physician. Once again, degree does not come up -- just the fact that the person one is being referred to is, in fact, a doctor and a doctor in the specialty one needs to see.
Their Insurance Company: Either through their internet website, phone line or some list provided when they first became a customer, many people just call up doctors their insurance companies tell them take their plan. Perhaps someone may pause at the "DO" after someone's name; but, for the most part, they have been told these people are doctors and thus, are just going to pick who is most convenient. They are not going to think much about it.
The Internet: Some use various internet websites to find a doctor. See above.
Honestly, though, I have never heard of this being an issue for DOs. All of the ones I have talked to have quite a full patient load and are doing quite well -- they have no more or no less patients than the average MD.
Ok, I guess I was the only one who checked school and residency when selecting a doctor. It did not work well though. I had a doctor from a top 2 school that made me feel very uncomfortable. Now I don't care about school name any more.
You're not the only one (I do it); but it's certainly not the norm and I do not know anybody, other than myself and others on SDN, that does this.
Even if most people did this, however, I'm still not sure it would make a difference. They would still have gone to a "School of Medicine" -- most wouldn't even notice the word "Osteopathic" before that.
Also, it is worth noting that how much the public knows about DOs is very geographically dependent. Most people around here know what DO is, for example.
You're not the only one (I do it); but it's certainly not the norm and I do not know anybody, other than myself and others on SDN, that does this.
Even if most people did this, however, I'm still not sure it would make a difference. They would still have gone to a "School of Medicine" -- most wouldn't even notice the word "Osteopathic" before that.
Also, it is worth noting that how much the public knows about DOs is very geographically dependent. Most people around here know what DO is, for example.
Anybody ever wonder why DO's aren't on medical dramas on TV?
- Status
- Not open for further replies.
Similar threads
- Replies
- 4
- Views
- 1K
looks from around the room.