You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
Funny quotes from "less informed" premeds
Started by TheGloaming
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
- Status
- Not open for further replies.
The program was much too stressful. Why do people have to lie?
Sent from my iPad using SDN Mobile app
he didnt get in to any program. He also lied to his parents about it and they bought him a condo to live in for med school 😱
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Her:" Ew I hate feet"
Me/ "get over and get used to it"
Her: "why?"
Me: aren't you interested in family med?"
Her:" yeah I want to go into IM and be a family physician"
Me:" right and you'll be working with all adults and some will probably be older with circulation issues, diabetes, etc etc"
Her: " it's not like I'm going into podiatry! I wont see feet"
Me: " ok...."
Me/ "get over and get used to it"
Her: "why?"
Me: aren't you interested in family med?"
Her:" yeah I want to go into IM and be a family physician"
Me:" right and you'll be working with all adults and some will probably be older with circulation issues, diabetes, etc etc"
Her: " it's not like I'm going into podiatry! I wont see feet"
Me: " ok...."
She's really going to hate not being able to refer ingrown toe nails to podiatry. 🙂Her:" Ew I hate feet"
Me/ "get over and get used to it"
Her: "why?"
Me: aren't you interested in family med?"
Her:" yeah I want to go into IM and be a family physician"
Me:" right and you'll be working with all adults and some will probably be older with circulation issues, diabetes, etc etc"
Her: " it's not like I'm going into podiatry! I wont see feet"
Me: " ok...."
IM and FM are two different residencies....
Indeed. Although, you can still do primary care with an IM residency, just not peds or OBGYN related stuff. But IM does cover treating more advanced diseases and allows more flexibility for fellowships and attending opportunities (e.g., some places will allow you to provide hospitalist care or attend for the ER). IM is usually 4 years and FM is usually 3.IM and FM are two different residencies....
Indeed. Although, you can still do primary care with an IM residency, just not peds or OBGYN related stuff. But IM does cover treating more advanced diseases and allows more flexibility for fellowships and attending opportunities (e.g., some places will allow you to provide hospitalist care or attend for the ER). IM is usually 4 years and FM is usually 3.
+1 maybe I should have stated/corrected, IM as a pcp.
Indeed. Although, you can still do primary care with an IM residency, just not peds or OBGYN related stuff. But IM does cover treating more advanced diseases and allows more flexibility for fellowships and attending opportunities (e.g., some places will allow you to provide hospitalist care or attend for the ER). IM is usually 4 years and FM is usually 3.
Speaking of less informed premeds...
IM is always 3 years. Unless you do some kind of funky research track, which is quite a bit less than 1% of internists.
After IM, you can work in a primary care clinic (treating adults), as a hospitalist, or do a fellowship in a subspecialty (such as cardiology, gastroenterology, etc). It's not "some places will allow you to provide hospitalist care", it's "the vast majority of hospitalists are internists".
Additionally, unless you are in an extremely rural environment, you will not be able to be an attending in the Emergency Department. That's what board certified emergency physicians are for.
C'monSpeaking of less informed premeds...
I stand corrected and was mistaken; I'm at an academic institution.IM is always 3 years. Unless you do some kind of funky research track, which is quite a bit less than 1% of internists.
Some only allow those with FHM (fellowship in hospital medicine); some allow internists. Some was an accurate description, though perhaps less apposite.After IM, you can work in a primary care clinic (treating adults), as a hospitalist, or do a fellowship in a subspecialty (such as cardiology, gastroenterology, etc). It's not "some places will allow you to provide hospitalist care", it's "the vast majority of hospitalists are internists".
VA allows IM to attend ED as well as other non-rural, suburban hospitals, a common source of moonlighting.Additionally, unless you are in an extremely rural environment, you will not be able to be an attending in the Emergency Department. That's what board certified emergency physicians are for.
While volunteering today at the hospital, I saw a doctor go on wikipedia to look up some medical stuff
mmmcdowe
Duke of minimal vowels
Staff member
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Speaking of less informed premeds...
IM is always 3 years. Unless you do some kind of funky research track, which is quite a bit less than 1% of internists.
After IM, you can work in a primary care clinic (treating adults), as a hospitalist, or do a fellowship in a subspecialty (such as cardiology, gastroenterology, etc). It's not "some places will allow you to provide hospitalist care", it's "the vast majority of hospitalists are internists".
Additionally, unless you are in an extremely rural environment, you will not be able to be an attending in the Emergency Department. That's what board certified emergency physicians are for.
I think that the discrepancy between you two may be the inclusion or exclusion of the intern year as part of residency.
No, s/he was correct. I double checked the PGYs. Ours includes a Chief Residency/Research year as PGY4. PGY1 was included in the normal IM residency for a total of PGY1-3, much to my chagrin. 🙂I think that the discrepancy between you two may be the inclusion or exclusion of the intern year as part of residency.
mmmcdowe
Duke of minimal vowels
Staff member
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
No, s/he was correct. I double checked the PGYs. Ours includes a Chief Residency/Research year as PGY4. PGY1 was included in the normal IM residency for a total of PGY1-3, much to my chagrin. 🙂
Interesting. I know the IM chief residents here would be quite chagrined to be called PGY4s.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
LoL, Ah the joys of attending responsibilities with PGY4 pay and benefits.Interesting. I know the IM chief residents here would be quite chagrined to be called PGY4s.
While volunteering today at the hospital, I saw a doctor go on wikipedia to look up some medical stuff
How is that bad? He was probably referring to a few things. One cannot simply remember EVERYTHING. The human brain is not built like that.
Last edited:
How is that bad? He was probably referring to a few things. One cannot simply remember EVERYTHING. The human brain is not built like that.
I can't find it at the moment, but there is a great graph of the publications on PubMed over time, showing an exponential increase in content. There is literally no way to know everything. Though Wikipedia may not be the best source....maybe the Doc will use UpToDate next time!
While volunteering today at the hospital, I saw a doctor go on wikipedia to look up some medical stuff
Not exactly the most surprising thing in the world; 4 years of medical school and 3+ years of residency don't necessarily make you an Encyclopedia Britannica of medicine. UptoDate would have been a more ideal source, but my understanding is that not every hospital necessarily funds the subscription.
You have to realize that many times when doctors look something up, it's not necessarily because they have no idea what they are doing. It could be something as simple as being relatively sure of the treatment needed but unsure of the dosing regimen, or making sure that their differential given the symptomatic presentation is sufficient.
Seeing as how the buck stops with the attending, I have no problem with them making sure they get the decision/management right the first time, at the expense of a few extra minutes on the computer.
overheard in orgo lab today...
girl 1: "so when are you taking the MCAT?"
girl 2: "i think, in like, a year from now, maybe"
girl 3: "so hey what kind of doctors are you guys going to be?"
girl 1: "i'm doing surgery"
girl 2: "i'm doing surgery too!"
girls 1 and 2: "OMG OMG OMG"
girl 3: "oh yeah? that's cool. i was going to do surgery but now i'm doing emergency medicine"
i didn't chime in... stood there tapping my foot and waiting for my damn ethanol to fractionate...
girl 1: "so when are you taking the MCAT?"
girl 2: "i think, in like, a year from now, maybe"
girl 3: "so hey what kind of doctors are you guys going to be?"
girl 1: "i'm doing surgery"
girl 2: "i'm doing surgery too!"
girls 1 and 2: "OMG OMG OMG"
girl 3: "oh yeah? that's cool. i was going to do surgery but now i'm doing emergency medicine"
i didn't chime in... stood there tapping my foot and waiting for my damn ethanol to fractionate...
one of my pre med friends did not know about a thing called RESIDENCY. she was like, hey immediately after med school, i will be making 200K +.![]()
Pretty much the entirety of my knowledge about residency when I started med school came from season 1 of scrubs. I wasn't sure how it worked at all but figured I'd have a handle on it by the time it mattered. I turned out OK
While volunteering today at the hospital, I saw a doctor go on wikipedia to look up some medical stuff
Doctors reference stuff there all the time.
mmmcdowe
Duke of minimal vowels
Staff member
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
I use it all of the time. I prefer uptodate, but sometimes uptodate is too focused for what I am looking for. Wikipedia represents a rapid and easy source of general knowledge that allows me to confirm/prove wrong what I though the right answer was.Doctors reference stuff there all the time.
LoL Meeemmmmmoooorrriiiiees!overheard in orgo lab today...
girl 1: "so when are you taking the MCAT?"
girl 2: "i think, in like, a year from now, maybe"
girl 3: "so hey what kind of doctors are you guys going to be?"
girl 1: "i'm doing surgery"
girl 2: "i'm doing surgery too!"
girls 1 and 2: "OMG OMG OMG"
girl 3: "oh yeah? that's cool. i was going to do surgery but now i'm doing emergency medicine"
i didn't chime in... stood there tapping my foot and waiting for my damn ethanol to fractionate...
Love love loved the show, but loathed that darn backwards chest x-ray! I about fell off the couch laughing when they made a big deal about fixing it later on.Pretty much the entirety of my knowledge about residency when I started med school came from season 1 of scrubs. I wasn't sure how it worked at all but figured I'd have a handle on it by the time it mattered. I turned out OK
I'm not going to lie, I have the limited edition DVD set, which includes the crappy "med school years" comeback season. It's a cool set, though, shaped like a chart. *pushes non-existent glasses up the bridge of my nose*
LoL Meeemmmmmoooorrriiiiees!
Love love loved the show, but loathed that darn backwards chest x-ray! I about fell off the couch laughing when they made a big deal about fixing it later on.
I'm not going to lie, I have the limited edition DVD set, which includes the crappy "med school years" comeback season. It's a cool set, though, shaped like a chart. *pushes non-existent glasses up the bridge of my nose*
I stopped watching after it got silly(ier?) during season 5-ish. Love the show, though. It's in the top 3 of things that inspired me to go to med school - no joke.
I may as well be the inspiration for half the snooty quotes on this thread. So-so GPA, inspired to medicine as a senior in college by a TV show, took the MCAT without studying to "see how I do," earned every grade my undergrad institution had to offer (batting the cycle is one of my proudest achievements in college). selected all my upper level bios on the basis of time spent outside in the mountains, didn't know what residency was about, you name it.
It turns out you don't have to obsess over medical school while in college to get into a good med school and do well.
How is that bad? He was probably referring to a few things. One cannot simply remember EVERYTHING. The human brain is not built like that.
I Google or Wiki quick things frequently - you can't possibly remember all the minutia. Used Wiki the other day to look up what traverses the foramen spinosum for a patient with a neuro deficit and skull base fracture. They're both quick references for the little factoids that you tend to forget when you are 10 years out from your med school basic sciences. My hospital does not sponsor uptodate, either.
(Middle meningeal artery and vein)
Hah, I had already opened another window and was about to look before I read the last bit. Thanks for including.I Google or Wiki quick things frequently - you can't possibly remember all the minutia. Used Wiki the other day to look up what traverses the foramen spinosum for a patient with a neuro deficit and skull base fracture. They're both quick references for the little factoids that you tend to forget when you are 10 years out from your med school basic sciences. My hospital does not sponsor uptodate, either.
(Middle meningeal artery and vein)
I can't find it at the moment, but there is a great graph of the publications on PubMed over time, showing an exponential increase in content. There is literally no way to know everything. Though Wikipedia may not be the best source....maybe the Doc will use UpToDate next time!
wiki is great when you have a decent handle on something but some specifics escape you. One of those situations where if it is wrong you will be able to identify that it is wrong, but otherwise it is 'on the tip of your tongue". We joke in class that wiki is teaching us medicine some times.
wiki is great when you have a decent handle on something but some specifics escape you. One of those situations where if it is wrong you will be able to identify that it is wrong, but otherwise it is 'on the tip of your tongue". We joke in class that wiki is teaching us medicine some times.
Haha, speaking of that, we have actually had professors acknowledge that using Wikipedia is perfectly fine as a starting point when we need to learn about a given disease (e.g., for a presentation) or need a second explanation of something brought up in class. It's emphasized that we should always check details and such with reputable journals and studies and not simply assume Wikipedia is always correct, but at least my school's faculty see it as a good place to pick up some background information quickly in order to get your bearings before going deeper with things.
A postbac who was in my Physics 1 class during undergrad, regarding a kinematics problem involving a hummingbird:
"But I don't get it... It's a hummingbird so we don't have to account for gravity right?"
Birds are immune to the effects of gravity.
Also, during high school, we were filling out forms for the PSAT maybe and there was a section where we filled in our anticipated major. Someone raises her hand and asks "is premedicine the same as pre-med?"
And OP, great username. Amazing track, amazing album.
Currently laughing out loud. Thank you. And this is my favorite thread on SDN.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
How is that bad? He was probably referring to a few things. One cannot simply remember EVERYTHING. The human brain is not built like that.
Probably because of how unreliable Wikipedia has been found to be at times.
Probably because of how unreliable Wikipedia has been found to be at times.
Pretty sure that myth was debunked a few yrs ago... in a comparison with several other (commercial) encyclopedias....
K
kpcrew
Probably because of how unreliable Wikipedia has been found to be at times.
Wikipedia isn't being use for learning, it's for verifying information that was learned previously. You can tell if something you're reading is dissonant with what you picked up in the classroom even if you can't think of the specifics offhand.
Probably because of how unreliable Wikipedia has been found to be at times.
Wikipedia is one of the most reliable and useful quick references out there.
There should be a parents-of-uninformed-premeds thread. They're always embarrassing me in front of friends/relatives, and showing their utter disregard for what is actually going on in my life.
I overheard my dad on the phone once, catching up with an old friend:
Dad: My oldest son is now an English teacher, my youngest is in high school...yeah he plays sports. And my middle son (me), he is starting premed at UCONN (I go to SCSU) next year (I was a sophomore in college). Yeah, he's majoring in Neurology (WTF?)
I overheard my dad on the phone once, catching up with an old friend:
Dad: My oldest son is now an English teacher, my youngest is in high school...yeah he plays sports. And my middle son (me), he is starting premed at UCONN (I go to SCSU) next year (I was a sophomore in college). Yeah, he's majoring in Neurology (WTF?)
There should be a parents-of-uninformed-premeds thread. They're always embarrassing me in front of friends/relatives, and showing their utter disregard for what is actually going on in my life.
I overheard my dad on the phone once, catching up with an old friend:
Dad: My oldest son is now an English teacher, my youngest is in high school...yeah he plays sports. And my middle son (me), he is starting premed at UCONN (I go to SCSU) next year (I was a sophomore in college). Yeah, he's majoring in Neurology (WTF?)
1. Your dad wishes you went to a better school
2. Your dad is giving you a 1 year cushion for when you have to take a gap year because you don't get into med school immediately after UG.
Pretty sure that myth was debunked a few yrs ago... in a comparison with several other (commercial) encyclopedias....
Thank you so much. I just want to hug you. It is a shame how many times these brawds tell me "Naw, man. Wiki ain't right. That's unreliable. Get your life right bro."
If you feel an article is not correct, make an effort to correct some language and reference the material.....ugh!!
I agree 100%. I just know there's a stigma about it for some people, including professors of mine.Wikipedia is one of the most reliable and useful quick references out there.
Wikipedia is fine. The articles most likely to be vandalized (to the point of almost being the only articles to get vandalized) are articles about celebrities, entertainment media, politicians, political topics, etc. As my organic chemistry lab professor said one time "the science articles are pretty safe. No one is going to vandalize an article on a random chemical".Probably because of how unreliable Wikipedia has been found to be at times.
It's also worth pointing out that even when an article does get vandalized, the change is usually reverted within 5 minutes.
I'm guessing many of you have seen this View attachment ImageUploadedByTapatalk1347520919.582761.jpg
I love the Eraserhead avatar. There aren't too many other David Lynch fans out there, especially in our discipline.I'm guessing many of you have seen this View attachment 21287
1. Your dad wishes you went to a better school
2. Your dad is giving you a 1 year cushion for when you have to take a gap year because you don't get into med school immediately after UG.
This is somewhat hurtful, but 100% true.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
A GRAD student at my undergrad school:
Her: "I'm going to be a doctor"
Me: "Cool, do you want to be a DO or MD?"
Her: "No, I just told you, I want to go to medical school."
Ha. She's really nice and means well so I felt kinda bad for her. Felt worse when she got a 15 on her MCAT and my friend goes "Nice, what section?"
Her: "I'm going to be a doctor"
Me: "Cool, do you want to be a DO or MD?"
Her: "No, I just told you, I want to go to medical school."
Ha. She's really nice and means well so I felt kinda bad for her. Felt worse when she got a 15 on her MCAT and my friend goes "Nice, what section?"
zing!a grad student at my undergrad school:
Her: "i'm going to be a doctor"
me: "cool, do you want to be a do or md?"
her: "no, i just told you, i want to go to medical school."
ha. She's really nice and means well so i felt kinda bad for her. Felt worse when she got a 15 on her mcat and my friend goes "nice, what section?"
A GRAD student at my undergrad school:
Her: "I'm going to be a doctor"
Me: "Cool, do you want to be a DO or MD?"
Her: "No, I just told you, I want to go to medical school."
Ha. She's really nice and means well so I felt kinda bad for her. Felt worse when she got a 15 on her MCAT and my friend goes "Nice, what section?"
😳
I love the Eraserhead avatar. There aren't too many other David Lynch fans out there, especially in our discipline.
Agreed, one of the best filmmakers out there today. But seriously, who doesn't love Twin Peaks?
- Status
- Not open for further replies.
Similar threads
- Replies
- 4
- Views
- 1K