Funny quotes from "less informed" premeds

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Past story

Me: so are you applying this semester?
Student: yep.
Me: cool. Well good luck.
Student: Thanks. I really don't think I should have a problem getting in though... I'm applying to the state school and a few ivys.
Me: Nice 🙄
Student: Yeah, plus after this semester my GPA should be up to a 3.45.
Me:😕
I know a girl who had a 3.4 GPA and got a 37 on her MCAT, she got into Dartmouth, just sayin' it can happen!
 
I had somebody tell me that he and his girlfriend were going to apply to the same schools because med schools are more likely to accept couples...

Not the best way to say it, but there is SOME truth to this insofar as if both people were acceptable to begin with, schools occasionally will take this into account (i.e., if the girl gets in in November and her bf interviews in December, some schools will take the fact that his gf will be matriculating into account since it helps their numbers and such; however, it is all dependent upon BOTH people being acceptable to the school. It could help or hurt and is a complex topic that has been discussed many times before.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Not the best way to say it, but there is SOME truth to this insofar as if both people were acceptable to begin with, schools occasionally will take this into account (i.e., if the girl gets in in November and her bf interviews in December, some schools will take the fact that his gf will be matriculating into account since it helps their numbers and such; however, it is all dependent upon BOTH people being acceptable to the school. It could help or hurt and is a complex topic that has been discussed many times before.

Interesting, and this applies to non-married couples as well? Learn something new everyday, guess I'm the one whose "less informed " 🙂
 
what's so absurd about it? Isn't it required that all pre-medical students maintain a lab coat with their names, year, major, and future specialty?

I have a hard time discerning sarcasm this early when not accompanied by the appropriate emoticons
 
I have learned something new in the last week..

Apparently there are pre-med majors for people who are planning to go to pharmacy school. I have heard this from two different girls this week on two separate occasions...


Learn something new everyday, I guess..
 
Interesting, and this applies to non-married couples as well? Learn something new everyday, guess I'm the one whose "less informed " 🙂

Generally engaged or married. I have heard of it sometimes being taken into account in very committed bf/gf (as well as, perhaps, homosexual) relationships but these are likely to receive consideration much less of the time.
 
Post any funny comments you've overheard from other premeds that really don't know what they are talking about.


Premed student: I think I'm going to apply to cornell.
Other Student: Is that a good school?
Premed student: I don't really know but I have all the preqes done for them so that makes it a good school.


(While the dean of admissions is talking about the application process at a premed meeting)
Premed student: Are the interviews mandatory?

I know I've heard others but just can't think of them.


Wait, what's wrong with Cornell?
 
This is somewhat hurtful, but 100% true.

Hey it's not that bad. A few months after kicking me out of the house (and making me homeless) My dad sent me a text flatout telling me I would never be a doctor. This was back in december. Today I got accepted to a DO school and am sitting 4 MD interviews and 3 more DO interviews.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using SDN Mobile
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey it's not that bad. A few months after kicking me out of the house (and making me homeless) My dad sent me a text flatout telling me I would never be a doctor. This was back in december. Today I got accepted to a DO school and am sitting 4 MD interviews and 3 more DO interviews.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using SDN Mobile

👍👍👍
 
Hey it's not that bad. A few months after kicking me out of the house (and making me homeless) My dad sent me a text flatout telling me I would never be a doctor. This was back in december. Today I got accepted to a DO school and am sitting 4 MD interviews and 3 more DO interviews.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using SDN Mobile

admirable how you were able to overcome this. Personally, I don't know where I will be without my parents' love and support.
 
Hey it's not that bad. A few months after kicking me out of the house (and making me homeless) My dad sent me a text flatout telling me I would never be a doctor. This was back in december. Today I got accepted to a DO school and am sitting 4 MD interviews and 3 more DO interviews.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using SDN Mobile

Dang bro, that's excessively harsh. Wtg though, I wonder what he'd say now. Lol
 
admirable how you were able to overcome this. Personally, I don't know where I will be without my parents' love and support.

I wouldn't have been able to do it without my girlfriend... and sdn.
My gf has been incredibly supportive throughout this whole process and there's so many things I wouldn't have been able to do without her. SDN of course is excellent provided you know what info to take seriously and what to ignore.




Dang bro, that's excessively harsh. Wtg though, I wonder what he'd say now. Lol

Yea man, idk but I havent made contact or heard from him since then. Im really not worried about it at this point. I cant imagine this cycle going more smoothly than it has thus far.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using SDN Mobile
 
I wouldn't have been able to do it without my girlfriend... and sdn.
My gf has been incredibly supportive throughout this whole process and there's so many things I wouldn't have been able to do without her. SDN of course is excellent provided you know what info to take seriously and what to ignore.






Yea man, idk but I havent made contact or heard from him since then. Im really not worried about it at this point. I cant imagine this cycle going more smoothly than it has thus far.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using SDN Mobile

I'm glad I've been able to help, however indirectly. 😉
Well like I said, good on ya for getting in, and to nova nonetheless! Very nice. Now you can sit back and relax, unless you get multiple acceptances. I'm already freaking out as if I had, lol. What a dummy. 🙂
 
Hey it's not that bad. A few months after kicking me out of the house (and making me homeless) My dad sent me a text flatout telling me I would never be a doctor. This was back in december. Today I got accepted to a DO school and am sitting 4 MD interviews and 3 more DO interviews.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using SDN Mobile

Umm... simply because we all know you kick ass? Just saying...
 
Hey it's not that bad. A few months after kicking me out of the house (and making me homeless) My dad sent me a text flatout telling me I would never be a doctor. This was back in december. Today I got accepted to a DO school and am sitting 4 MD interviews and 3 more DO interviews.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using SDN Mobile

"Hey dad, I just got into med school, F**K you, I proved you wrong, PS you're going to a nursing home when you hit 65."
 
Hey it's not that bad. A few months after kicking me out of the house (and making me homeless) My dad sent me a text flatout telling me I would never be a doctor. This was back in december. Today I got accepted to a DO school and am sitting 4 MD interviews and 3 more DO interviews.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using SDN Mobile

Hey!! Congrats man. You might wanna send him a text.
 
Hey it's not that bad. A few months after kicking me out of the house (and making me homeless) My dad sent me a text flatout telling me I would never be a doctor. This was back in december. Today I got accepted to a DO school and am sitting 4 MD interviews and 3 more DO interviews.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using SDN Mobile

Admirable, you deserve the fruits of your hard work.
 
I'm glad I've been able to help, however indirectly. 😉
Well like I said, good on ya for getting in, and to nova nonetheless! Very nice. Now you can sit back and relax, unless you get multiple acceptances. I'm already freaking out as if I had, lol. What a dummy. 🙂

+1
I see you ballin!:clap::claps:

Umm... simply because we all know you kick ass? Just saying...

"Hey dad, I just got into med school, F**K you, I proved you wrong, PS you're going to a nursing home when you hit 65."

Hey!! Congrats man. You might wanna send him a text.

Admirable, you deserve the fruits of your hard work.

Thanks everyone 🙂 This type of support is really what makes SDN great! 👍👍
 
Thanks everyone 🙂 This type of support is really what makes SDN great! 👍👍
Awesome story, MedPR. I love hearing those prevailing stories. I was homeless, too. I lived in an abusive home and left the day I turned 18. Unfortunately, one of the guys I moved in with was pocketing our rent and utility money unbeknownst to us. We got home one day to an empty third bedroom, all utilities shut off, and much of our stuff stolen. It sucked. I lived out of a car for months.

Then, to add to the whole thing, when I decided to go to med school, my wife didn't want me to apply and protested throughout. We argued and argued about where I would apply, since we'd both have to move. We compromised on a 4 hour radius, limiting me to 12 schools. Then I bombed my first mcat, but still managed to get 2 interviews and a waitlist spot. And the worst part? While I was waiting for that waitlist spot to open up my grandmother died, my dad was diagnosed with MS and discovered he had a brain tumor, my wife and I continued to deteriorate and separated, I pulled my first C+ ever, and then I didn't get in after all that.

Upside?

I retook the MCAT, jumped 6 points in the subsections and 2 letters in the writing portion, plus my wife and I are still working on things and plan to move out West if I get accepted and we work out. Not as awesome as having interviews, but it's early considering my MCAT just posted 9/5. I finally see light at the end of the tunnel.

Huh, never thought I'd share something that personal. But hearing your story was encouraging. Hopefully mine can relate to someone, too.
 
Awesome story, MedPR. I love hearing those prevailing stories. I was homeless, too. I lived in an abusive home and left the day I turned 18. Unfortunately, one of the guys I moved in with was pocketing our rent and utility money unbeknownst to us. We got home one day to an empty third bedroom, all utilities shut off, and much of our stuff stolen. It sucked. I lived out of a car for months.

Then, to add to the whole thing, when I decided to go to med school, my wife didn't want me to apply and protested throughout. We argued and argued about where I would apply, since we'd both have to move. We compromised on a 4 hour radius, limiting me to 12 schools. Then I bombed my first mcat, but still managed to get 2 interviews and a waitlist spot. And the worst part? While I was waiting for that waitlist spot to open up my grandmother died, my dad was diagnosed with MS and discovered he had a brain tumor, my wife and I continued to deteriorate and separated, I pulled my first C+ ever, and then I didn't get in after all that.

Upside?

I retook the MCAT, jumped 6 points in the subsections and 2 letters in the writing portion, plus my wife and I are still working on things and plan to move out West if I get accepted and we work out. Not as awesome as having interviews, but it's early considering my MCAT just posted 9/5. I finally see light at the end of the tunnel.

Huh, never thought I'd share something that personal. But hearing your story was encouraging. Hopefully mine can relate to someone, too.

Wow. Props to you, dude!
 
Awesome story, MedPR. I love hearing those prevailing stories. I was homeless, too. I lived in an abusive home and left the day I turned 18. Unfortunately, one of the guys I moved in with was pocketing our rent and utility money unbeknownst to us. We got home one day to an empty third bedroom, all utilities shut off, and much of our stuff stolen. It sucked. I lived out of a car for months.

Then, to add to the whole thing, when I decided to go to med school, my wife didn't want me to apply and protested throughout. We argued and argued about where I would apply, since we'd both have to move. We compromised on a 4 hour radius, limiting me to 12 schools. Then I bombed my first mcat, but still managed to get 2 interviews and a waitlist spot. And the worst part? While I was waiting for that waitlist spot to open up my grandmother died, my dad was diagnosed with MS and discovered he had a brain tumor, my wife and I continued to deteriorate and separated, I pulled my first C+ ever, and then I didn't get in after all that.

Upside?

I retook the MCAT, jumped 6 points in the subsections and 2 letters in the writing portion, plus my wife and I are still working on things and plan to move out West if I get accepted and we work out. Not as awesome as having interviews, but it's early considering my MCAT just posted 9/5. I finally see light at the end of the tunnel.

Huh, never thought I'd share something that personal. But hearing your story was encouraging. Hopefully mine can relate to someone, too.

Seriously, people like you really impress me. It's tough enough to jump through the seemingly endless hoops that lead to med school, but I can't imagine holding it all together while being homeless or trying to keep a marriage healthy. I hope you get everything you've worked so hard for and wish you and your wife all the best!
 
Last edited:
Seriously, people like you really impress me. It's tough enough to jump through the seemingly endless hoops that lead to med school, but I can't imagine holding it all together while being homeless or trying to keep a marriage healthy. I hope you get everything you've worked so hard for and wish you and your wife all the best!

+1
Good luck brother
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Awesome story, MedPR. I love hearing those prevailing stories. I was homeless, too. I lived in an abusive home and left the day I turned 18. Unfortunately, one of the guys I moved in with was pocketing our rent and utility money unbeknownst to us. We got home one day to an empty third bedroom, all utilities shut off, and much of our stuff stolen. It sucked. I lived out of a car for months.

Then, to add to the whole thing, when I decided to go to med school, my wife didn't want me to apply and protested throughout. We argued and argued about where I would apply, since we'd both have to move. We compromised on a 4 hour radius, limiting me to 12 schools. Then I bombed my first mcat, but still managed to get 2 interviews and a waitlist spot. And the worst part? While I was waiting for that waitlist spot to open up my grandmother died, my dad was diagnosed with MS and discovered he had a brain tumor, my wife and I continued to deteriorate and separated, I pulled my first C+ ever, and then I didn't get in after all that.

Upside?


I retook the MCAT, jumped 6 points in the subsections and 2 letters in the writing portion, plus my wife and I are still working on things and plan to move out West if I get accepted and we work out. Not as awesome as having interviews, but it's early considering my MCAT just posted 9/5. I finally see light at the end of the tunnel.

Huh, never thought I'd share something that personal. But hearing your story was encouraging. Hopefully mine can relate to someone, too.

Great story! You're amazing for accomplishing all that under those conditions. Best of luck to you!
 
I once heard about a father who kicked his son out of his house and told him he'd never become a physician, then his son got multiple interviews and even one acceptance to a medical school :laugh: , boy was he misinformed
 
A GRAD student at my undergrad school:

Her: "I'm going to be a doctor"
Me: "Cool, do you want to be a DO or MD?"
Her: "No, I just told you, I want to go to medical school."

Ha. She's really nice and means well so I felt kinda bad for her. Felt worse when she got a 15 on her MCAT and my friend goes "Nice, what section?"
LMAOOOOO that is hilarious. I would have laughed so hard if I heard this in real life. "Oh no I got a six in verbal, six in bio, and a three in physics" haha
 
LMAOOOOO that is hilarious. I would have laughed so hard if I heard this in real life. "Oh no I got a six in verbal, six in bio, and a three in physics" haha

Poor her. How does a grad student make a 15 composite on the mcat? Feelsbadwoman.
 
A GRAD student at my undergrad school:

Her: "I'm going to be a doctor"
Me: "Cool, do you want to be a DO or MD?"
Her: "No, I just told you, I want to go to medical school."

Ha. She's really nice and means well so I felt kinda bad for her. Felt worse when she got a 15 on her MCAT and my friend goes "Nice, what section?"

wow, missed this one.

what was her grad program?
 
Not exactly a pre-med quote. Perhaps worse actually. This is a current PA student on facebook:

Future PA: "I love having to take time out of studying to learn, or maybe relearn, the metric system conversions for my exam. This is America people. It is called an inch, a foot, or a pound."

Someone else dealt with it: "1/454th pound Amoxicillin PO BiD x 10 days.... sounds a bit strange..."
 
Friend: How'd you do on the MCAT?
Me: I did well, I did better than I thought I would!
Friend: C'mon dude, tell me what your score was
Me: I got a 41!
Friend: Nice, I'm planning on getting at least a 40 too
Me: Awesome man 👍
 
Friend: How'd you do on the MCAT?
Me: I did well, I did better than I thought I would!
Friend: C'mon dude, tell me what your score was
Me: I got a 41!
Friend: Nice, I'm planning on getting at least a 40 too
Me: Awesome man 👍

Your MD apps is ridiculous... maybe he thought you were joking, it's not very common someone says they get 40+
 
Friend: How'd you do on the MCAT?
Me: I did well, I did better than I thought I would!
Friend: C'mon dude, tell me what your score was
Me: I got a 41!
Friend: Nice, I'm planning on getting at least a 40 too
Me: Awesome man 👍

Yes, how foolish he is to even compare himself to you.

Christ, this thread really brings out the tools.
 
Yes, how foolish he is to even compare himself to you.

Christ, this thread really brings out the tools.

Haven't seen one of these posts for a couple pages now 🙂 all I think Kdizzle was trying to say is that it is ridiculous for anyone to assume they will get that astronomical of an MCAT. And nothing wrong with being proud of a great MCAT score either.
 
Your MD apps is ridiculous... maybe he thought you were joking, it's not very common someone says they get 40+

He definitely wasn't joking, but he didn't mean any harm in it either; it seemed he just thought a 40+ was something that was easily attainable if you put in a little bit of work for it, kind of like getting an A on a test in a not-too-hard class 😛

Yes, how foolish he is to even compare himself to you.

Christ, this thread really brings out the tools.

Haha, thanks. Sorry if what I posted offended you. I feel like you had to read between the lines and see what you wanted to see in order to have reached that conclusion though.

Haven't seen one of these posts for a couple pages now 🙂 all I think Kdizzle was trying to say is that it is ridiculous for anyone to assume they will get that astronomical of an MCAT. And nothing wrong with being proud of a great MCAT score either.

Exactly. Thanks 🙂
 
Waiting in line to get my badge pass today so I can park my bike in the parking garage & I hear this girl from the premed meeting for incoming freshman I helped out at the day prior. She ended the meeting with asking a million irrelevant/unnecessary Qs & then a bunch that the advisor had already answered. To top it off I can tell its her from her awful high pitched mouse voice. As I'm standing there at 8 am in line, with my Starbucks, all I can hear is "YEA WELL IM GOING TO MEDICAL SCHOOL. I JUST HAVE TO FINISH THESE 4 YEARS REAL QUICK & THEN IM IN. THIS IS JUST THE BEGINNING, THIS IS LIKE ME HARDLY LIFTING MY FOOT HAHAHA!!!!!!!!" ....not to mention I'm like 10 people ahead of her in a single file line. I'm just standing there like........ You get the point.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Waiting in line to get my badge pass today so I can park my bike in the parking garage & I hear this girl from the premed meeting for incoming freshman I helped out at the day prior. She ended the meeting with asking a million irrelevant/unnecessary Qs & then a bunch that the advisor had already answered. To top it off I can tell its her from her awful high pitched mouse voice. As I'm standing there at 8 am in line, with my Starbucks, all I can hear is "YEA WELL IM GOING TO MEDICAL SCHOOL. I JUST HAVE TO FINISH THESE 4 YEARS REAL QUICK & THEN IM IN. THIS IS JUST THE BEGINNING, THIS IS LIKE ME HARDLY LIFTING MY FOOT HAHAHA!!!!!!!!" ....not to mention I'm like 10 people ahead of her in a single file line. I'm just standing there like........ You get the point.

I really hate that ****--how people tend to yell and flaunt it. Be humble. She sounds cute though. I would have definitely humored her.

27045157.jpg
 
A cute girl sits next to me in the computer lab yesterday, starts flipping through a pre-med workshop packet.

Always ready to run game, I ask her how far along she is and tell her I'm applying this cycle. Eventually we get to talking about clinical experiences, and she tells me she has shadowed an anesthesiologist and a general surgeon.

me: Sounds like it must have been a great experience.
her: Yeah they were so cool. The anesthesiologist let me intubate a patient one time. it was crazy!!
Me: ... (at this point I'm thinking "color me dubious")
her: And I got to help the surgeon out with procedures all the time. He let me like, drill and stuff
me: ...Okay yeah, so, how are your grades if you don't mind me asking? (at this point I'm thinking "abort abort")
her: well I've got a 2.9 but I still have time to bring it up. Wait so I'm a junior, when should I be applying again?

What I found really crazy about this was I've skimmed through this thread before and saw all the vitriol about pre-meds "totally getting to intubate patients while shadowing", never actually thought I would hear that from someone in real life. Really just a head-exploding conversation for me.

Also: I asked her if she had considered DO, her response was "what's that".
 
A cute girl sits next to me in the computer lab yesterday, starts flipping through a pre-med workshop packet.

Always ready to run game, I ask her how far along she is and tell her I'm applying this cycle. Eventually we get to talking about clinical experiences, and she tells me she has shadowed an anesthesiologist and a general surgeon.

me: Sounds like it must have been a great experience.
her: Yeah they were so cool. The anesthesiologist let me intubate a patient one time. it was crazy!!
Me: ... (at this point I'm thinking "color me dubious")
her: And I got to help the surgeon out with procedures all the time. He let me like, drill and stuff
me: ...Okay yeah, so, how are your grades if you don't mind me asking? (at this point I'm thinking "abort abort")
her: well I've got a 2.9 but I still have time to bring it up. Wait so I'm a junior, when should I be applying again?

What I found really crazy about this was I've skimmed through this thread before and saw all the vitriol about pre-meds "totally getting to intubate patients while shadowing", never actually thought I would hear that from someone in real life. Really just a head-exploding conversation for me.

Also: I asked her if she had considered DO, her response was "what's that".


LOL. I think we go to the same college don't we?.... there are a TON of hilarious premeds who have < 3.0 gpa. Have you run into the biomedical sciences kids? Pretty much all of them make me want to off myself.
 
LOL. I think we go to the same college don't we?.... there are a TON of hilarious premeds who have < 3.0 gpa. Have you run into the biomedical sciences kids? Pretty much all of them make me want to off myself.

Possibly... I tend to hang out more with the business school crowd. I try to distance myself from pre-meds because most I've met are pretentious and annoying. I think this type of thing is bred into the culture. Have you seen some of the pre-med society T-shirts, with the stethoscope printed around the shoulders, and "trust me, I'm (going to be!) a doctor" on the back? I USED to think these tuxedo shirts were the most irritating shirts around... boy was I wrong

image001.jpg



That being said, there are still good folks to be found in those circles, just not generally many people I'd like to spend time with outside of class.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.