Funny quotes from "less informed" premeds

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Possibly... I tend to hang out more with the business school crowd. I try to distance myself from pre-meds because most I've met are pretentious and annoying. I think this type of thing is bred into the culture. Have you seen some of the pre-med society T-shirts, with the stethoscope printed around the shoulders, and "trust me, I'm (going to be!) a doctor" on the back? I USED to think these tuxedo shirts were the most irritating shirts around... boy was I wrong

image001.jpg



That being said, there are still good folks to be found in those circles, just not generally many people I'd like to spend time with outside of class.

Oh god I see those shirts all the time and I hate them.... there's definitely a huge misconception about how hard it is to gain acceptance to medical school (and you can blame those several large premed organizations on campus)
 
A cute girl sits next to me in the computer lab yesterday, starts flipping through a pre-med workshop packet.

Always ready to run game, I ask her how far along she is and tell her I'm applying this cycle. Eventually we get to talking about clinical experiences, and she tells me she has shadowed an anesthesiologist and a general surgeon.

me: Sounds like it must have been a great experience.
her: Yeah they were so cool. The anesthesiologist let me intubate a patient one time. it was crazy!!
Me: ... (at this point I'm thinking "color me dubious")
her: And I got to help the surgeon out with procedures all the time. He let me like, drill and stuff
me: ...Okay yeah, so, how are your grades if you don't mind me asking? (at this point I'm thinking "abort abort")
her: well I've got a 2.9 but I still have time to bring it up. Wait so I'm a junior, when should I be applying again?

What I found really crazy about this was I've skimmed through this thread before and saw all the vitriol about pre-meds "totally getting to intubate patients while shadowing", never actually thought I would hear that from someone in real life. Really just a head-exploding conversation for me.

Also: I asked her if she had considered DO, her response was "what's that".

She is not lying. I perform numerous prostate exams during my clinical experiences. one time, I even did minor surgery on an acute nervous disorder. 🙄 😎

Neat way to "open a set." You are a natural.
 
She is not lying. I perform numerous prostate exams during my clinical experiences. one time, I even did minor surgery on an acute nervous disorder. 🙄 😎

Neat way to "open a set." You are a natural.

Right, because I was actually all about closing the deal with this girl. That couldn't have just been a humorous way to frame the conversation.

In other news, sounds super illegal brochacho. Is my sarcasm detector malfunctioning?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Right, because I was actually all about closing the deal with this girl. That couldn't have just been a humorous way to frame the conversation.

In other news, sounds super illegal brochacho. Is my sarcasm detector malfunctioning?

Not at all. don't sweat it. 😉

How'd that deal work out? I suppose you collected a telephone number or an e-mail address as a guideline.
 
Not at all. don't sweat it. 😉

How'd that deal work out? I suppose you collected a telephone number or an e-mail address as a guideline.

Okay, fine, I did manage to get her number. But I'm following a strict no Kappa policy this semester so I won't be using it. Probably.
 
A cute girl sits next to me in the computer lab yesterday, starts flipping through a pre-med workshop packet.

Always ready to run game, I ask her how far along she is and tell her I'm applying this cycle. Eventually we get to talking about clinical experiences, and she tells me she has shadowed an anesthesiologist and a general surgeon.

me: Sounds like it must have been a great experience.
her: Yeah they were so cool. The anesthesiologist let me intubate a patient one time. it was crazy!!
Me: ... (at this point I'm thinking "color me dubious")
her: And I got to help the surgeon out with procedures all the time. He let me like, drill and stuff
me: ...Okay yeah, so, how are your grades if you don't mind me asking? (at this point I'm thinking "abort abort")
her: well I've got a 2.9 but I still have time to bring it up. Wait so I'm a junior, when should I be applying again?

What I found really crazy about this was I've skimmed through this thread before and saw all the vitriol about pre-meds "totally getting to intubate patients while shadowing", never actually thought I would hear that from someone in real life. Really just a head-exploding conversation for me.

Also: I asked her if she had considered DO, her response was "what's that".
6 months...of monthly Seroquel injections and a steady regimen of 1mg risperdal TID, all in a feeble attempt to combat these elaborate confabulations with visual and auditory hallucinations. Jesus man, run, run like you've stumbled into an overeaters anonymous meeting slathered in honey and bacon bits!
Preview
 
How come all the guys who post about girls feel it necessary to comment on her physical attractiveness? Is it different if a "cute girl" says something? Just curious. Women don't usually do this when we talk about men in passing.

Is this a serious question?

Of course it is.
 
How come all the guys who post about girls feel it necessary to comment on her physical attractiveness? Is it different if a "cute girl" says something? Just curious. Women don't usually do this when we talk about men in passing.

yes, it makes a difference

Yes, girls do this too, just probably unaware. For example,
odd-looking guy tries to buy a girl a drink and talk to her = creepy.
Attractive guy buys her "whatever is on dollar you call it" and rattles off 9 token UG ice-breakers (what's your major, ect...) = smooth.

Admittedly the reduction in effort required is rather nice 😎 :d


If it makes you feel better, a girl becomes about 5 points less attractive as soon as she says something really stupid 🙂
 
How come all the guys who post about girls feel it necessary to comment on her physical attractiveness? Is it different if a "cute girl" says something? Just curious. Women don't usually do this when we talk about men in passing.

Yes they do
 
If I have learned anything it is that girls are just dudes who are less of dudes while around dudes. Also they have boobs 👍

Your last point is why they sometimes get more leeway to say silly things.

Pretty girls can get away with moider, usually figuratively, sometimes literally.

Attractive guys get cut more slack too, of course, but not a fan personally.
 
I was home one weekend during freshman year while friends of my Mom were over. With them was their 12 year old son. I was reading my physiology text book and he decides to bother me.

him: that looks complicated
me: yeah, but it's not too bad
him: do you want to be a doctor?
me: don't think so (wasn't yet "premed")
him: oh, well I'm gonna be an orthopedic surgeon!
me, thinking to myself: what's an orthopedic surgeon??? 😕

as if I didn't feel stupid enough, he continued with...

him: are you top of your class?
me: am I the top of my class in college? No...
him: oh.... well I am! 😀

pretty sure I got pwned that day by a 12 year old :laugh:
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I was home one weekend during freshman year while friends of my Mom were over. With them was their 12 year old son. I was reading my physiology text book and he decides to bother me.

him: that looks complicated
me: yeah, but it's not too bad
him: do you want to be a doctor?
me: don't think so (wasn't yet "premed")
him: oh, well I'm gonna be an orthopedic surgeon!
me, thinking to myself: what's an orthopedic surgeon??? 😕

as if I didn't feel stupid enough, he continued with...

him: are you top of your class?
me: am I the top of my class in college? No...
him: oh.... well I am! 😀

pretty sure I got pwned that day by a 12 year old :laugh:
In order to make TheMightySmiter feel more comfortable... how would you rate the attractiveness of that 12 year old?
 
How come all the guys who post about girls feel it necessary to comment on her physical attractiveness? Is it different if a "cute girl" says something? Just curious. Women don't usually do this when we talk about men in passing.

To give a slightly different answer, I wouldn't bother to comment on the attractiveness of the girl unless I had something nice to say. For example, if the girl in question were really unattractive, I wouldn't lead off a story about her with "so this hideous cow sits next to me"...

Because well, that's not very nice. What's wrong with being complimentary? I think if you look past the fairly obvious humor (because you know, I totally cruise around the library looking to pick up chicks 🙄) there was nothing remotely lascivious about my post.

Leave it to this crowd to pick the statement apart I guess.
 
yes, it makes a difference

Yes, girls do this too, just probably unaware. For example,
odd-looking guy tries to buy a girl a drink and talk to her = creepy.
Attractive guy buys her "whatever is on dollar you call it" and rattles off 9 token UG ice-breakers (what's your major, ect...) = smooth.

Admittedly the reduction in effort required is rather nice 😎 :d


If it makes you feel better, a girl becomes about 5 points less attractive as soon as she says something really stupid 🙂

You just uncovered my game plan...
 
(assume you are a "she") you say stupid things to get guys to not talk to you? Unfortunately this has the opposite effect for 99% of guys :laugh:

Wow. I might have to change my username. :laugh:

No. I usually try and get a girl to say something very stupid that will make me very confident. It works like a charm, especially when inebriated. I was at this frat party at one time and this chick was downing some Chardonnay (Merlot?) and she kept talking to me about the comparison between Dickens and Blume (da fuq). Don't get me wrong, but after that, I think I needed a drink, too. She was so haut, but at the next event, I think she caught on to my disdain and acted likewise.
 
Wow. I might have to change my username. :laugh:

No. I usually try and get a girl to say something very stupid that will make me very confident. It works like a charm, especially when inebriated. I was at this frat party at one time and this chick was downing some Chardonnay (Merlot?) and she kept talking to me about the comparison between Dickens and Blume (da fuq). Don't get me wrong, but after that, I think I needed a drink, too. She was so haut, but at the next event, I think she caught on to my disdain and acted likewise.

You know I don't speak Spanish 😀


And "missus" threw me off
 
You know I don't speak Spanish 😀


And "missus" threw me off

French. lol.

Funny story about the "missus" bit. I actually observed something wild during chemistry lab that triggered my memory in recalling a few past details about my life--details involving a particular elementary school teacher by the surname Augustine.
 
Alright, sorry for derailing the thread. 😀 I guess it just seems weird to me to comment on a person's physical appearance when you're telling a story about something stupid they said. Like, does that make it less of a stupid comment? I'm not saying you have to view everyone equally--you can't help feeling differently about someone if you're physically attracted to them--I'm just questioning why put it at the beginning of a totally unrelated story.

Okay, more funny stories please!
 
Wow. I might have to change my username. :laugh:

No. I usually try and get a girl to say something very stupid that will make me very confident. It works like a charm, especially when inebriated. I was at this frat party at one time and this chick was downing some Chardonnay (Merlot?) and she kept talking to me about the comparison between Dickens and Blume (da fuq). Don't get me wrong, but after that, I think I needed a drink, too. She was so haut, but at the next event, I think she caught on to my disdain and acted likewise.

Judy Blume?

Also, I don't get how disdain equals confidence....
 
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
yes, it makes a difference

Yes, girls do this too, just probably unaware. For example,
odd-looking guy tries to buy a girl a drink and talk to her = creepy.
Attractive guy buys her "whatever is on dollar you call it" and rattles off 9 token UG ice-breakers (what's your major, ect...) = smooth.

Admittedly the reduction in effort required is rather nice 😎 :d


If it makes you feel better, a girl becomes about 5 points less attractive as soon as she says something really stupid 🙂

This is only true for the GI Jane's.

Reminded me of this video nonetheless:

http://comedians.jokes.com/jim-gaffigan/videos/jim-gaffigan---people-who-don-t-drink
 
Last edited:
Judy Blume?

Also, I don't get how disdain equals confidence....

I award you 5 internets. Good guess.

"We must have weather in Maine, whether or not."

There was a difference in time--to answer your 2nd question. About a week.



Sent from my iPad using SDN Mobile app.
 
Ok, maybe this is not a pre-med, but I was talking on a different forum to a person. He stated that he was really busy taking college classes. I asked him if he was at XXXX (state school) and he replied

naw im in medical school.
going to get my hygienst license

At first I was like 👍. Then I realized what he wrote and I was like 😱.

I wanted to tell him that it was not medical school, but I am trying to sell something that he wants to buy. If I make him mad he may not buy it.

dsoz
 
Ok, maybe this is not a pre-med, but I was talking on a different forum to a person. He stated that he was really busy taking college classes. I asked him if he was at XXXX (state school) and he replied



At first I was like 👍. Then I realized what he wrote and I was like 😱.

I wanted to tell him that it was not medical school, but I am trying to sell something that he wants to buy. If I make him mad he may not buy it.

dsoz

Wait until payment clears 🙂
 
friend of mine who likes to ask me advice about school and premed stuff since I'm a senior while she is a sophomore keeps arguing to me that her "B.S. in Neuroscience" is superior to my "B.A. in Neuroscience". I tried to tell her more than once that major doesn't really matter but she won't listen. And she's super proud of that "B.S." and thinks it will give her an advantage over BA majors in the app process. I guess if it was like comm vs. ChemE she might have a point but this is BS vs BA of the same major which is sort of ridiculous.

Same girl (man I feel bad talking about her like this since she is nice but just doesn't want to listen to whatever info i get off of SDN) and this was last year, but we both ran for E-board of the same club as well as a few other people. I gave a little speech (talk? lol we all gave one of course) about who I was "Hi my name is Argama, I'm going to be a senior and I'm majoring in Neurosci. *blah blah blah talk about why i should be elected blah blah*"

Then it's her turn to talk "Hi my name is _________ and I'm going to be a sophomore. I am a premed studying neuroscience major--B.S. of course---and etc etc etc"

I was thinking "really.......? -_________________-"

And finally....this same girl, her bf convinced her to turn down a paid tutoring position "because it was not directly connected with her major and med schools don't care about teaching about writing and english." Her bf is a CS major and knows like nothing about premed stuff. I just think he wanted to have more time w/her xD Ah well I did set those 2 up last year, so I guess I should be partly to blame...
 
Alright, sorry for derailing the thread. 😀 I guess it just seems weird to me to comment on a person's physical appearance when you're telling a story about something stupid they said. Like, does that make it less of a stupid comment? I'm not saying you have to view everyone equally--you can't help feeling differently about someone if you're physically attracted to them--I'm just questioning why put it at the beginning of a totally unrelated story.

Okay, more funny stories please!

Welcome to the internet. If a person has a phallus...which is all of the internet... breasts are always relevant. Attractiveness always dictates the interest and success of the story.

Unfortunately my school educates our premeds very well, so I don't have any frequent absurd stories like you guys do. 🙁
 
friend of mine who likes to ask me advice about school and premed stuff since I'm a senior while she is a sophomore keeps arguing to me that her "B.S. in Neuroscience" is superior to my "B.A. in Neuroscience". I tried to tell her more than once that major doesn't really matter but she won't listen. And she's super proud of that "B.S." and thinks it will give her an advantage over BA majors in the app process. I guess if it was like comm vs. ChemE she might have a point but this is BS vs BA of the same major which is sort of ridiculous.

Same girl (man I feel bad talking about her like this since she is nice but just doesn't want to listen to whatever info i get off of SDN) and this was last year, but we both ran for E-board of the same club as well as a few other people. I gave a little speech (talk? lol we all gave one of course) about who I was "Hi my name is Argama, I'm going to be a senior and I'm majoring in Neurosci. *blah blah blah talk about why i should be elected blah blah*"

Then it's her turn to talk "Hi my name is _________ and I'm going to be a sophomore. I am a premed studying neuroscience major--B.S. of course---and etc etc etc"

I was thinking "really.......? -_________________-"

And finally....this same girl, her bf convinced her to turn down a paid tutoring position "because it was not directly connected with her major and med schools don't care about teaching about writing and english." Her bf is a CS major and knows like nothing about premed stuff. I just think he wanted to have more time w/her xD Ah well I did set those 2 up last year, so I guess I should be partly to blame...

I could be wrong as well, but all of my advisors have told me that B.S. is looked on favorably compared to B.A. because it indicates a higher rigor of academic courseload.
 
I could be wrong as well, but all of my advisors have told me that B.S. is looked on favorably compared to B.A. because it indicates a higher rigor of academic courseload.

That's what I was told in terms of journalism degrees, as well. A B.S. was worth more than a B.A. It may differ based on the major, though.
 
I could be wrong as well, but all of my advisors have told me that B.S. is looked on favorably compared to B.A. because it indicates a higher rigor of academic courseload.

It might depend upon field, but there is too much variability b/w programs and the degree offered to really make an assumption about that. In 90+% of cases, no one is even going to notice. The BA also has the advantage of being a broader degree, which can be beneficial in cases requiring "soft skills" and a diverse skill set (read: virtually any job).
 
It is going to be looked at well after other things.... if he and this girl had the exact same ECs, GPA, and MCAT, this would be looked at next.

but a B.A 3.9 > B.S. 3.5

it isn't a substantial edge and nothing to brag about. most B.S.'s are only 3-4 classes longer than the B.A.
 
It is going to be looked at well after other things.... if he and this girl had the exact same ECs, GPA, and MCAT, this would be looked at next.

but a B.A 3.9 > B.S. 3.5

it isn't a substantial edge and nothing to brag about. most B.S.'s are only 3-4 classes longer than the B.A.

It's worth less than having a minor, which is basically worthless (unless it makes you "unique" or adds a valuable skill set). Things like how your major lines up with a job or, for medical school, your ECs, GPA, MCAT will make an infinitely greater difference.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
It's worth less than having a minor, which is basically worthless (unless it makes you "unique" or adds a valuable skill set). Things like how your major lines up with a job or, for medical school, your ECs, GPA, MCAT will make an infinitely greater difference.

yes. And minors are basically handed out to you if you spent any time not directly focused on your major.
 
How come all the guys who post about girls feel it necessary to comment on her physical attractiveness? Is it different if a "cute girl" says something? Just curious. Women don't usually do this when we talk about men in passing.

i always comment on a guys physical attractiveness.
and, taking it one step further .....judging hotness by sdn username/icon
 
Last edited:
I could be wrong as well, but all of my advisors have told me that B.S. is looked on favorably compared to B.A. because it indicates a higher rigor of academic courseload.

Not all schools give out degrees with a B.A. and B.S. option. At my school, if you major in a science you get a B.S. no matter what. If you major in a non-science, it is a B.A.

That's why I don't really think the difference matters much in the application process.
 
Besides, I graduated with a BA in Spanish and have been accepted to 3 schools so far. I don't think the degree matters too much.
 
Few minutes ago:

"I'm a Brahmin, so I think that'll make my journey to med school a whole lot easier."
 
Status
Not open for further replies.