Funny quotes from "less informed" premeds

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Better than volunteering, you are saving lives! I affirm them, and hope one day I can do this too!


Sent from my iPhone using SDN Mobile app please excuse punctuation and spelling

On9h9.gif
 
I overheard a conversation between my friend and a girl who was a biology major (not sure if she was pre med, maybe pre nursing):

My friend: I read an article about a manufacturing company's difficulty obtaining helium.

Girl: Isn't helium easy to get?

My friend: I guess not.

Girl: Why don't they just get helium from outer space?

My friend: ...wait, what?

Girl: Well isn't that what space is made of?

:eyebrow:
 
I overheard a conversation between my friend and a girl who was a biology major (not sure if she was pre med, maybe pre nursing):

My friend: I read an article about a manufacturing company's difficulty obtaining helium.

Girl: Isn't helium easy to get?

My friend: I guess not.

Girl: Why don't they just get helium from outer space?

My friend: ...wait, what?

Girl: Well isn't that what space is made of?

:eyebrow:

Oh dear... As they say in the South, "Bless her heart..." LoL
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I overheard a conversation between my friend and a girl who was a biology major (not sure if she was pre med, maybe pre nursing):

My friend: I read an article about a manufacturing company's difficulty obtaining helium.

Girl: Isn't helium easy to get?

My friend: I guess not.

Girl: Why don't they just get helium from outer space?

My friend: ...wait, what?

Girl: Well isn't that what space is made of?

:eyebrow:

Lol I think they were confusing the fact that HE is the second most abundant element in the universe.
 
A friend of mine said she wanted to become a pediatrician. I asked her how she was considering about going about that. Her reply was, "I was thinking after community college that I would go to a trade school."
 
A friend of mine said she wanted to become a pediatrician. I asked her how she was considering about going about that. Her reply was, "I was thinking after community college that I would go to a trade school."

Are people really this clueless?

Had a church member recently tell me they were gonna do their preclinical years online and get ahead....
 
Many of you know that I am a TA for the anatomy department. Yesterday, I gave out the lab final for the cadaver portion of my class.

I noticed one of the students was missing. He never showed up for the entire test. It was weird because he had talked about how he was for sure going to be a doctor and nothing was going to get in his way.

I saw him today, and I asked him "Why weren't you at the lab final?"

He responded to me, "I'm going to drop the course so I decided not to show up"

...


The deadline to drop a course was two weeks ago and by not taking the final he received an automatic F in the class. When I told him that, he said he didn't believe me.

I mean, what do I know? I am only the one that assigns grades for the class!

He then proceeded to tell me that medical schools are okay with a few F's because it shows he is human.

What?
 
Many of you know that I am a TA for the anatomy department. Yesterday, I gave out the lab final for the cadaver portion of my class.

I noticed one of the students was missing. He never showed up for the entire test. It was weird because he had talked about how he was for sure going to be a doctor and nothing was going to get in his way.

I saw him today, and I asked him "Why weren't you at the lab final?"

He responded to me, "I'm going to drop the course so I decided not to show up"

...


The deadline to drop a course was two weeks ago and by not taking the final he received an automatic F in the class. When I told him that, he said he didn't believe me.

I mean, what do I know? I am only the one that assigns grades for the class!

He then proceeded to tell me that medical schools are okay with a few F's because it shows he is human.

What?

😱

NO. I hope he figures out that is totally not true. Especially an F in anatomy?! That's the worst class to fail in my opinion! 👎
 
Many of you know that I am a TA for the anatomy department. Yesterday, I gave out the lab final for the cadaver portion of my class.

I noticed one of the students was missing. He never showed up for the entire test. It was weird because he had talked about how he was for sure going to be a doctor and nothing was going to get in his way.

I saw him today, and I asked him "Why weren't you at the lab final?"

He responded to me, "I'm going to drop the course so I decided not to show up"

...


The deadline to drop a course was two weeks ago and by not taking the final he received an automatic F in the class. When I told him that, he said he didn't believe me.

I mean, what do I know? I am only the one that assigns grades for the class!

He then proceeded to tell me that medical schools are okay with a few F's because it shows he is human.

What?

Lawd..
 
Many of you know that I am a TA for the anatomy department. Yesterday, I gave out the lab final for the cadaver portion of my class.

I noticed one of the students was missing. He never showed up for the entire test. It was weird because he had talked about how he was for sure going to be a doctor and nothing was going to get in his way.

I saw him today, and I asked him "Why weren't you at the lab final?"

He responded to me, "I'm going to drop the course so I decided not to show up"

...


The deadline to drop a course was two weeks ago and by not taking the final he received an automatic F in the class. When I told him that, he said he didn't believe me.

I mean, what do I know? I am only the one that assigns grades for the class!

He then proceeded to tell me that medical schools are okay with a few F's because it shows he is human.

What?

You better well know that you have to tell us the rest of this story as it unfolds.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Student: So say I don't get into medical school with my 3.5, what are my chances on getting into D.O.?

Me: Zero? You just said you didn't get into medical school.

Student: Ohh so D.O is sort of like medical school too?

Me: Yeah..? Something like that.


Sent from my iPhone using SDN Mobile app please excuse punctuation and spelling
 
I have a few:

Girl 1: I think i'm going to do medicine, but I want to really stand out.
Girl 2: Have you done any volunteering?
Girl 1: No
Girl 2: Just go into the hospital and do something, then.

It's understandable that certain individuals aren't aware of the need of meaningful volunteer work. I don't have much myself as of late. What put a smile on my face was that Girl 1 comes off as one of the most pretentious and competitive pre-meds in my class and has for the past two years. She's applying this summer too. Pretty much going to be rejected.

Another Scenario:

Me, a very competitive applicant, and random girl talking.

Me to App: Well, you have a very strong GPA. Pretty sure you're going to be interviewed.
Girl: OMG wuts ur GPA?
Applicant: It's high, don't like to say my marks usually.
Girl: *Spiel on how she doesn't understand why people keep their marks to themselves, blah blah blah*
App: *Says his GPA, Asks the girl, who wants to be a MD too, about her GPA*
Girl: I just know I'm going to make it.
App: 3.7?
Girl: I just know i'm going to make it
App: Above 3.5 and you're decent
Girl: I just know i'm going to make it

Girl GPA: 2.0
 
I have a few:

Girl 1: I think i'm going to do medicine, but I want to really stand out.
Girl 2: Have you done any volunteering?
Girl 1: No
Girl 2: Just go into the hospital and do something, then.

It's understandable that certain individuals aren't aware of the need of meaningful volunteer work. I don't have much myself as of late. What put a smile on my face was that Girl 1 comes off as one of the most pretentious and competitive pre-meds in my class and has for the past two years. She's applying this summer too. Pretty much going to be rejected.

Another Scenario:

Me, a very competitive applicant, and random girl talking.

Me to App: Well, you have a very strong GPA. Pretty sure you're going to be interviewed.
Girl: OMG wuts ur GPA?
Applicant: It's high, don't like to say my marks usually.
Girl: *Spiel on how she doesn't understand why people keep their marks to themselves, blah blah blah*
App: *Says his GPA, Asks the girl, who wants to be a MD too, about her GPA*
Girl: I just know I'm going to make it.
App: 3.7?
Girl: I just know i'm going to make it
App: Above 3.5 and you're decent
Girl: I just know i'm going to make it

Girl GPA: 2.0

so she launches into a think about how she doesnt understand why people hide their scores and then is reluctant to tell her score? She will have trouble getting accepted into nursing school with that GPA... (i.e. the college of nursing UG program at whatever school she is at). Some schools wont even grant a bachelors without a 2.5.......
 
so she launches into a think about how she doesnt understand why people hide their scores and then is reluctant to tell her score? She will have trouble getting accepted into nursing school with that GPA... (i.e. the college of nursing UG program at whatever school she is at). Some schools wont even grant a bachelors without a 2.5.......

I just know she's going to make it.
 
I have a few:

Girl 1: I think i'm going to do medicine, but I want to really stand out.
Girl 2: Have you done any volunteering?
Girl 1: No
Girl 2: Just go into the hospital and do something, then.

It's understandable that certain individuals aren't aware of the need of meaningful volunteer work. I don't have much myself as of late. What put a smile on my face was that Girl 1 comes off as one of the most pretentious and competitive pre-meds in my class and has for the past two years. She's applying this summer too. Pretty much going to be rejected.

you have no real basis for this based on the above
 
?

No volunteering experience, No MCAT needed in quebec.

A 4.0 student can apply in any med uni here. No volunteer=no acceptances. There isn't really a question about that. She'll be a quick filter.

So I kind of do; but I see where your coming from. Extenuating circumstances are also a big factor big here, and I don't know hers.
 
Last edited:
Scene: health psychology class, discussing the idea that doctors have bad handwriting. Instructor addresses girl wearing scrubs.

Instructor: I'm sure you've seen some pretty awful doctor handwriting.

Girl in scrubs: Yea..

Instructor: So what do you do? (inquiring what job she has that necessitates her wearing scrubs)

Girl in scrubs: Oh me? I'm a pre-med!

Instructor and class in unison: "...."

Honestly, I was pretty appalled, though I'm optimistically hoping that she misunderstood the question.
 
Lol..yea. Again, I'm hoping that was the case, though I have a hard time imagining how she made that leap. Consider an alternative question of comparable length that maybe she thought she heard. "What is your major?" Our university has a pre-med option, but that is not a major, at least not here. If the instructor had asked that question instead, her answer, sadly, would still almost be worthy of this thread.

To make this a non-worthy post for this thread, accommodating her answer, the question would probably have had to have been something like, "What aspect of your academic career/career goals encourage the type of employment that requires or encourages you to wear scrubs?".
 
I knew this kid in college who thought he was a local legend. Actual quote:

"Yeah, it's pretty crazy doing track AND double majoring in biochemical engineering and math."

Note: he failed pre-calc and biochemical engineering is not a major at my school.
 
Bored so I'll contribute 🙂

Friend: "so I was telling my gf you took Mcat twice."
Friend gf: "Yeah you couldn't pass it the first time."
Me: "Well it's not really about passing it's about.........Nevermind."
Friend gf: "What did you score the 1st time?"
Me: "2X:
Friend gf: "And the second time"
Me: 3X
Friend gf: "And you still couldn't pass? Even nurses take the Mcat and score 80's and 90's".
Me: 😕 "I'm done."

Another incident:

Same guy as above friend, who recently graduated college.
Guy: "So blank said you are applying to med school."
Me: "Yup"
Guy: "Yeah, i'm looking at a med schools now for anesthesiology"
Me: "Nice, we're in it for the long hall."
Guy: "Not really, i'm about to start at this school that let's you get your anesthesiology degree in 3 years."
Me: (Look over at friend, he's shaking his head).
Me: "Well......you......:laugh::laugh:"
 
Bored so I'll contribute 🙂

Friend: "so I was telling my gf you took Mcat twice."
Friend gf: "Yeah you couldn't pass it the first time."
Me: "Well it's not really about passing it's about.........Nevermind."
Friend gf: "What did you score the 1st time?"
Me: "2X:
Friend gf: "And the second time"
Me: 3X
Friend gf: "And you still couldn't pass? Even nurses take the Mcat and score 80's and 90's".
Me: 😕 "I'm done."

Another incident:

Same guy as above friend, who recently graduated college.
Guy: "So blank said you are applying to med school."
Me: "Yup"
Guy: "Yeah, i'm looking at a med schools now for anesthesiology"
Me: "Nice, we're in it for the long hall."
Guy: "Not really, i'm about to start at this school that let's you get your anesthesiology degree in 3 years."
Me: (Look over at friend, he's shaking his head).
Me: "Well......you......:laugh::laugh:"


I dont know how you guys do it 😕
I would be unable to hold my tongue. Although I had a similar one I guess. I cant remember if I shared it here earlier or not:

Saw a guy I knew from HS when I was out with my family for dinner. he was our waiter.

Him: so what are you up to now?
me: going to _____ (university) and studying chemistry
him: oh yeah? what do you want to do with that?
me: try to go to med school, but we will see what happens (this was a few years ago)
him: oh sweet. yeah me too. I'm going to ______ (community college) right now, but I just hate the bio and chem stuff, once I am done with this undergrad stuff I will go to med school

Me: 😕🙄 ok, goodluck 👍


not that you cant do medschool if you do gen eds at community college, but his plan was to do "pre med" at the community college, and just pass the sciencey stuff that he wouldnt need anyways.... 🙄
 
Did I tell you guys about the guy who said he got accepted but didn't matriculate because he didn't get any scholarships and plans on reapplying so he can go to med school for free?

Sent from my SGH-T999 using SDN Mobile
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Did I tell you guys about the guy who said he got accepted but didn't matriculate because he didn't get any scholarships and plans on reapplying so he can go to med school for free?

Sent from my SGH-T999 using SDN Mobile

This guy?

Interviewer: So why did you chose medicine?
Me: Seriously? That's the most cliche question in the book... Can we move on to the next question?
Interviewer: Uhhh sure (really caught him off guard), what makes ___ medical school stand out over other schools?
Me: Hmm, to be honest, there isn't anything that makes it stand out. I just applied because my MCAT and GPA are higher than the averages. So it's basically a guarantee that I'll get in here.
Interviewer: (Looks at me funny) You do realize that MCATs and GPAs aren't the only things that determine whether you get accepted right?
Me: Yeah... That's why you're interviewing me. Before we move on, can I ask you some questions?
Interviewer: (Getting a little frustrated) Suuure why not.
Me: Why kind of scholarship will I be getting?
Interviewer: None.
Me: I'm done, see ya later.

I got accepted, and I declined.
 
This guy?

Originally Posted by scruggs92
Interviewer: So why did you chose medicine?
Me: Seriously? That's the most cliche question in the book... Can we move on to the next question?
Interviewer: Uhhh sure (really caught him off guard), what makes ___ medical school stand out over other schools?
Me: Hmm, to be honest, there isn't anything that makes it stand out. I just applied because my MCAT and GPA are higher than the averages. So it's basically a guarantee that I'll get in here.
Interviewer: (Looks at me funny) You do realize that MCATs and GPAs aren't the only things that determine whether you get accepted right?
Me: Yeah... That's why you're interviewing me. Before we move on, can I ask you some questions?
Interviewer: (Getting a little frustrated) Suuure why not.
Me: Why kind of scholarship will I be getting?
Interviewer: None.
Me: I'm done, see ya later.

I got accepted, and I declined.


OMFG I almost spit out my water laughing. :laugh::laugh::laugh:
 
I saw this ridiculous letter the other day as I was digging in the recycling bin at school for scratch paper. It was a neatly typed up excuse for missing a class that was so stupid, I wanted to punch something.

This girl couldn't attend a class because of "severe arachnophobia" and being "held hostage" by a spider in her room.

It was so dramatic and elaborately written that I pitied the student not for her "severe arachnophobia," but for her huge entitlement complex.
 
I saw this ridiculous letter the other day as I was digging in the recycling bin at school for scratch paper. It was a neatly typed up excuse for missing a class that was so stupid, I wanted to punch something.

This girl couldn't attend a class because of "severe arachnophobia" and being "held hostage" by a spider in her room.

It was so dramatic and elaborately written that I pitied the student not for her "severe arachnophobia," but for her huge entitlement complex.

Going to use this one the next time I don't want to go to work.
 
I saw this ridiculous letter the other day as I was digging in the recycling bin at school for scratch paper. It was a neatly typed up excuse for missing a class that was so stupid, I wanted to punch something.

This girl couldn't attend a class because of "severe arachnophobia" and being "held hostage" by a spider in her room.

It was so dramatic and elaborately written that I pitied the student not for her "severe arachnophobia," but for her huge entitlement complex.

That is such a major problem all over the place.
My gf is TAing this semester within her PhD program and several students have been emailing her ridiculous crap about their finals. Not pre-meds, I guess, but pre-meds are not immune to this sort of thing :laugh: Requests for "review sessions" are the best, where the first year students expect to be handed a "study guide" a.k.a. the answers to the test.

I think that sort of thing falls off in med school (at least it has in my experience) but that is mostly because the profs make it very clear they have no time for undergrad BS :laugh:
 
Going to use this one the next time I don't want to go to work.

I think I would have to come up with something better if I call out of work. At least in the ER where I work, we have to have "blood gushing out of our head and be on coumadin" in order to not feel guilty about calling out of work.

I mention the blood-thinner because even IF blood was gushing out of someone's head, there would of course be a nurse or physician somewhere who might say "ah, it's just a flesh wound. Throw some gauze on it and send them out." 😉
 
Student: So say I don't get into medical school with my 3.5, what are my chances on getting into D.O.?

Me: Zero? You just said you didn't get into medical school.

Student: Ohh so D.O is sort of like medical school too?

Me: Yeah..? Something like that.


Sent from my iPhone using SDN Mobile app please excuse punctuation and spelling

I like this one. :laugh:
 
I had a funny conversation with a friend yesterday:

Friend: You're still working in Prof. __'s lab right?
Me: Yep. I'm working on some pretty interesting stuff *began to talk a little bit about my current project*
Friend: *cutting me off* I heard he accepts a bunch of undergrads...
Me: Kinda, he's really nice and is inviting to undergrads.
Friend: I heard he has like a hundred...
Me: (thinking I heard incorrectly) Huh?
Friend: I said, he has like a hundred undergrads in the lab, right?
Me: 😕 Umm, you're kidding right?
Friend: *getting defensive* No, that's just what I heard...I mean, it's a big lab, right?
Me: 😕 ...uh, yeah. But not that big 😛

I kept it cool and steered the conversation to a different topic but was lol'ing inside for several minutes afterward. Not sure if it was a passive-aggressive attempt to say that I wasn't that special to have gotten a research position at that lab, or if my friend was truly clueless.
 
WHY OH WHY are you trying to ruin this thread by exhibiting empathy/understanding/reasonable thought processes?!?!? THIS IS SDN DAMMIT!!!!!!!!!!! I H8 EVERY1 WHO IZ NOT ME THEY ARE ALL ARTARDS!!! 😉
Get rid of the last word in your last sentence. You don't make it any cleaner and less insulting if you change a couple letters...don't make yourself look bad, please.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Get rid of the last word in your last sentence. You don't make it any cleaner and less insulting if you change a couple letters...don't make yourself look bad, please.

You are right. "Motard" is much better 👍

Or were you pushing him to say "THEY ARE ALL......." and then just trail off? 😕 I feel like improper syntax would result in him looking bad, but that is just me..
 
This. Definitely this. Every time I hear this I'm like 😎. I guess some people just don't think about it, but pre-med (at least at my school) isn't a major.

We were introducing ourselves on the first day of one of my classes. I stand up and say "I'm majoring in microbiology. Two or three kids later, a dude stands up and says "My major is microbiology, pre-med." :smack: Honestly, I don't know why it wrinkles my pantaloons so much.
Because it sounds absolutely ridiculous. I'm a third year in med school and every once in a while friends (classmates of mine) will run into a "pre-med"....with a major of Communications, that is pretty sure they took the MCAT but not positive.

Really?

I never said I was a premed major b/c thats NOT a major, even though my Big 10 school actually offered it. There are no jobs in the workforce that have "premed" as a pre-req. Even though I was always pointed at medical school, I kept my major to "Biology--w/ a focus in Vertebrate Physiology"

Don't say premed. Please don't say premed. Even if you are now in medical school! Just don't.
 
Because it sounds absolutely ridiculous. I'm a third year in med school and every once in a while friends (classmates of mine) will run into a "pre-med"....with a major of Communications, that is pretty sure they took the MCAT but not positive.

Really?

I never said I was a premed major b/c thats NOT a major, even though my Big 10 school actually offered it. There are no jobs in the workforce that have "premed" as a pre-req. Even though I was always pointed at medical school, I kept my major to "Biology--w/ a focus in Vertebrate Physiology"

Don't say premed. Please don't say premed. Even if you are now in medical school! Just don't.

I would occasionally mention that I was "planning on attending medical school" when people asked what my major was (whether in a classroom or a social setting) because my major isn't related to medicine at all, so just telling them my major wasn't giving the whole picture - which is sort of the point of an introduction, isn't it? I don't see what the big deal with saying that you're a microbiology/communications/whatever major and pre-med is :shrug:
 
?

No volunteering experience, No MCAT needed in quebec.

A 4.0 student can apply in any med uni here. No volunteer=no acceptances. There isn't really a question about that. She'll be a quick filter.

So I kind of do; but I see where your coming from. Extenuating circumstances are also a big factor big here, and I don't know hers.

I didn't do any volunteering or have any clinical experience other than shadowing, and I honestly can't think of any extenuating circumstances that got me in.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.