You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
Funny quotes from "less informed" premeds
Started by TheGloaming
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
- Status
- Not open for further replies.
Why so late?
Held back in school.
I was accepted to a DO school and was telling a fellow tech in the ED about it (who also wants to go to med school) and his reply was, "So, do you, like, already have a degree in medicine, because you have to for a DO school, right?"
Yeah buddy, I already have a degree in medicine and am working as a tech in the ER because . . . and really, you're pre-med?
Yeah buddy, I already have a degree in medicine and am working as a tech in the ER because . . . and really, you're pre-med?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Wow. Just. Wow. I think Dmr6186 was prescient in his reply below.I was accepted to a DO school and was telling a fellow tech in the ED about it (who also wants to go to med school) and his reply was, "So, do you, like, already have a degree in medicine, because you have to for a DO school, right?"
Yeah buddy, I already have a degree in medicine and am working as a tech in the ER because . . . and really, you're pre-med?
Held back in school.
This isn't from a pre-med, but a pharm friend said that vet school was tougher than med school because they need to know how to treat hundreds of animals rather than just 1 human
and all that malpractice they pay certainly makes the depth of understanding as intense too 🙄
When you have the option to put your "patient" down, the standard mantra of "steroid, antibiotic, or put it down" can get you through pretty far. My vet puts his damn stethoscope in backwards most of the time and use the otoscope to check eyes (not that you are going to get much of a clear retinal image on a dog anyways...)
Seriously?and all that malpractice they pay certainly makes the depth of understanding as intense too 🙄
When you have the option to put your "patient" down, the standard mantra of "steroid, antibiotic, or put it down" can get you through pretty far. My vet puts his damn stethoscope in backwards most of the time and use the otoscope to check eyes (not that you are going to get much of a clear retinal image on a dog anyways...)
Seriously?
yes. It is amazing once you learn a little bit about physical exam skills how many people just plain do them wrong. I also got a physical from a nurse once that was horrendous. No, you cannot gain anything informative by using a penlight and shining it into my ears. Also, using the penlight in the eyes is not a "blink test". 🙄.
The problem seems to be people who were never taught WHY things are performed and are just used to going through the motions.
Oi vey...any other vets in town? LoLyes. It is amazing once you learn a little bit about physical exam skills how many people just plain do them wrong. I also got a physical from a nurse once that was horrendous. No, you cannot gain anything informative by using a penlight and shining it into my ears. Also, using the penlight in the eyes is not a "blink test". 🙄.
The problem seems to be people who were never taught WHY things are performed and are just used to going through the motions.
"You can't be a Japanese major and be premed. Schools will only accept science majors. You're just wasting your time."
"TWU is like the best premed school, right?"
Duh, why bother even trying if you go elsewhere.
虚偽"you can't be a japanese major and be premed. Schools will only accept science majors. You're just wasting your time."
Just now (not sure if she's pre-med):
Professor: Nicotine is caustic. What's the meaning of caustic? Does anyone know?
Girl: It costs a lot. Like costly, or expensive.
The professor actually chuckled before spelling "caustic" on the board like this: cAUstic.
Professor: Nicotine is caustic. What's the meaning of caustic? Does anyone know?
Girl: It costs a lot. Like costly, or expensive.
The professor actually chuckled before spelling "caustic" on the board like this: cAUstic.
Just now (not sure if she's pre-med):
Professor: Nicotine is caustic. What's the meaning of caustic? Does anyone know?
Girl: It costs a lot. Like costly, or expensive.
The professor actually chuckled before spelling "caustic" on the board like this: cAUstic.
sounds like she was joking. I hope...
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
What I was thinking when he said that to me. 🙂
Just now (not sure if she's pre-med):
Professor: Nicotine is caustic. What's the meaning of caustic? Does anyone know?
Girl: It costs a lot. Like costly, or expensive.
The professor actually chuckled before spelling "caustic" on the board like this: cAUstic.
That quote's made of gold.
That quote's made of gold.
My personal favorite is:
A postbac who was in my Physics 1 class during undergrad, regarding a kinematics problem involving a hummingbird:
"But I don't get it... It's a hummingbird so we don't have to account for gravity right?"
Birds are immune to the effects of gravity.
My personal favorite is...
That reminded me of what Mike Huckabee once said. "It's scientifically impossible for the bumblebee to fly; but the bumblebee, being unaware of these scientific facts, flies anyway."
*massive facepalm*
I had a pretty good one the other day in the middle of physics. The professor was going over some of the rotational equations:
premed guy: "So what equations come on the formula sheet for the MCAT?"
professor: "I don't think they give you one of those...."
premed guy: "Are you sure? It's not like they actually expect us to remember all of these! At least we get a calculator...."
me: ?!?!?!?!
premed guy: "So what equations come on the formula sheet for the MCAT?"
professor: "I don't think they give you one of those...."
premed guy: "Are you sure? It's not like they actually expect us to remember all of these! At least we get a calculator...."
me: ?!?!?!?!

I had a pretty good one the other day in the middle of physics. The professor was going over some of the rotational equations:
premed guy: "So what equations come on the formula sheet for the MCAT?"
professor: "I don't think they give you one of those...."
premed guy: "Are you sure? It's not like they actually expect us to remember all of these! At least we get a calculator...."
me: ?!?!?!?!![]()
Lol.
I think every applicants heart dropped a little when they found out they couldn't use a calculator.
Sent from my iPhone using SDN Mobile app please excuse punctuation and spelling
Lol.
I think every applicants heart dropped a little when they found out they couldn't use a calculator.
Sent from my iPhone using SDN Mobile app please excuse punctuation and spelling
*Heart drops*
Nah, just kidding. I'm rather skilled in mental calculating.
Do we get scratch paper?
*Heart drops*
Nah, just kidding. I'm rather skilled in mental calculating.
Do we get scratch paper?
Depends on the testing facility (actually serious -- some testing centers make you use whiteboards with markers instead which I hear totally sucks).
Oh hellz no! That'd really tick me off. *scoff* Psh, white boards!Depends on the testing facility (actually serious -- some testing centers make you use whiteboards with markers instead which I hear totally sucks).
Depends on the testing facility (actually serious -- some testing centers make you use whiteboards with markers instead which I hear totally sucks).
Really? My testing site just had URM boards. Dang affirmative action.
Just kidding. We had scratch paper.
Sent from my iPod using SDN Mobile app. Please excuse the typos.
2
235009
Depends on the testing facility (actually serious -- some testing centers make you use whiteboards with markers instead which I hear totally sucks).
get used to it. that's what they use for the step exams and shelf exams.
Really? My testing site just had URM boards. Dang affirmative action.
Just kidding. We had scratch paper.
Sent from my iPod using SDN Mobile app. Please excuse the typos.
That joke was in poor taste.
get used to it. that's what they use for the step exams and shelf exams.
seriously? 1) why and 2) is that universal? Boards are prometric proctored.... Ive always gotten paper and pencil there.
2
235009
seriously? 1) why and 2) is that universal? Boards are prometric proctored.... Ive always gotten paper and pencil there.
not sure if it's universal seeing as i've only taken shelf exams in one place (my school) and the boards in one place. i think its actually a much better idea than paper because you can just erase rather than having to ask for more paper and disturbing yourself and everyone around you
Guero's next question @ GWU on interview day: *raises hand* "Yes, do we get scratch paper or white boards for our shelf exams?"get used to it. that's what they use for the step exams and shelf exams.
Scenario 1: Answer, scratch paper ----> matriculate
Scenario 2: Answer, white boards ------> withdraw
LoL Kidding of course, but I could totally see someone uber OCD doing that.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
not sure if it's universal seeing as i've only taken shelf exams in one place (my school) and the boards in one place. i think its actually a much better idea than paper because you can just erase rather than having to ask for more paper and disturbing yourself and everyone around you
The nice thing about paper is it lets you easily refer back to previous thoughts on future questions. Everyone is different, but I know I personally learn things while taking tests as new relationships are often explored on an exam. While more common on regular exams, I have certainly learned new concepts during standardized tests that allowed me to gain add'l points.
seriously? 1) why and 2) is that universal? Boards are prometric proctored.... Ive always gotten paper and pencil there.
I've taken tests at two different prometric centers and one had whiteboards and the other had paper and pencil. Granted, the paper and pencil was MCAT, LSAT, GRE specific, while the whiteboard one had EMT and other licensing kinds of tests. Also, the paper and pencil place was pretty run-down and two computers failed during testing (thankfully not mine!).
In short, I think it depends on the test center.
Really? My testing site just had URM boards. Dang affirmative action.
Just kidding. We had scratch paper.
Sent from my iPod using SDN Mobile app. Please excuse the typos.
can we please cut it out with wack racist jokes on SDN. Obviously there are consquences to such behavior.
can we please cut it out with wack racist jokes on SDN. Obviously there are consquences to such behavior.
Sorry, I will take my not funny puns elsewhere. I did not intend for it to come off like that. I just think it is weird people call then whiteboards. I call them dry erase boards. Some people call chalkboards "black boards" which is just weird.
Sent from my iPod using SDN Mobile app. Please excuse the typos.
I just think it is weird people call then whiteboards. I call them dry erase boards. Some people call chalkboards "black boards" which is just weird.
I find it weird that you find this weird. Whiteboards are white and blackboards are black. Simple as that.
I find it weird that you find this weird. Whiteboards are white and blackboards are black. Simple as that.
This. Why must everything turn racist, people? Is that really all some of you think about? Get over it...please.
I find it weird that you find this weird. Whiteboards are white and blackboards are black. Simple as that.
Right? Seems pretty logical to me
I find it weird that you find this weird. Whiteboards are white and blackboards are black. Simple as that.
Some are green. It's weird.
I've been to 2 pretty nice testing stations, one for the GRE and the other for the MCAT, and both used pencil and paper which I find to be very useful. I tend to write very large, sloppy and all over the place during these tests so I need all the space a sheet of paper provides 😉
I had a teacher that had an allergy to the green chalk boards. She said she'd literally start bleeding if she touched one. I never saw it and thought it a crock; because my middle school mind immediately envisioned a The Shining-type flow of blood from her hands. Now I think she meant more of a crack and bleed kind of allergy. LoL
Last edited:
Some are green. It's weird.
And some are brown and some grey.
Sent from my iPod using SDN Mobile app. Please excuse the typos.
Very unique allergy for sure.
Not in America?
And some are brown and some grey.
Sent from my iPod using SDN Mobile app. Please excuse the typos.
Not in America?
2
235009
The nice thing about paper is it lets you easily refer back to previous thoughts on future questions. Everyone is different, but I know I personally learn things while taking tests as new relationships are often explored on an exam. While more common on regular exams, I have certainly learned new concepts during standardized tests that allowed me to gain add'l points.
i actually had never taken a computer based test before coming to med school so i've only experienced the white boards therefore i have no opinion on the matter. (i took the mcat on paper)
Kid in my Orgo lab: "Does this count as research?"


Is going to church community service?Kid in my Orgo lab: "Does this count as research?"
![]()
Is going to church community service?
Is babysitting my little sister volunteering?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
LoL, these last three posts can constitute yet another thread in and of itself!
I find it weird that you find this weird. Whiteboards are white and blackboards are black. Simple as that.
This. Why must everything turn racist, people? Is that really all some of you think about? Get over it...please.
Perhaps, but in the private school where I send my kids there are no more black boards. They have been replaced by the electronic, touch sensitive, interactive "white" boards.
The less affluent public school districts in the area still use "black" boards. Coincidence? I'm not so sure...:what:
😉
Is babysitting my little sister volunteering?
Would sending someone to the hospital after a fight count as a clinical experience?
Would sending someone to the hospital after a fight count as a clinical experience?![]()
Is peeping on your hot OB/GYN neighbor while in the shower considered shadowing?
Is peeping on your hot OB/GYN neighbor while in the shower considered shadowing?
I think so, it constitutes around 300 hours of my shadowing experiences
- Status
- Not open for further replies.
Similar threads
- Replies
- 4
- Views
- 1K