Funny quotes from "less informed" premeds

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Would sending someone to the hospital after a fight count as a clinical experience? :meanie:

Reminds me of a local dude who got into a fight here, went to his car, pulled a gun, shot his opponent, then realized what he did and pulled out his jump bag to render aid. Turns out the dude was an EMT. Many suspect he rendered aid with the hopes it'd help his case in the long run by reducing his sentence. :eyebrow: True remorse or false remorse?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Reminds me of a local dude who got into a fight here, went to his car, pulled a gun, shot his opponent, then realized what he did and pulled out his jump bag to render aid. Turns out the dude was an EMT. Many suspect he rendered aid with the hopes it'd help his case in the long run by reducing his sentence. :eyebrow: True remorse or false remorse?

Sounds like a good start to a PS. Maybe he should just start with, "I pulled out my bag and ran to the victim. He had a single gunshot wound which was life threatening. I was the first one on the scene, but I knew what to do..."


Sent from my iPod using SDN Mobile app. Please excuse the typos.
 
Sounds like a good start to a PS. Maybe he should just start with, "I pulled out my bag and ran to the victim. He had a single gunshot wound which was life threatening. I was the first one on the scene, but I knew what to do..."


Sent from my iPod using SDN Mobile app. Please excuse the typos.


Hahaha!!

Sent from my BlackBerry 9800 using my crap-happy Tapatalk app
 
A friend's cousin was visiting from Detroit. He asks where everybody goes to school. My friend says, "I'm way done with school. I'm a Doctor."

He's actually a Pharmacist with the PharmD degree.
 
A friend's cousin was visiting from Detroit. He asks where everybody goes to school. My friend says, "I'm way done with school. I'm a Doctor."

He's actually a Pharmacist with the PharmD degree.

😕 A PharmD is a doctorate in pharmacy .... technically he's a doctor.
 
A friend's cousin was visiting from Detroit. He asks where everybody goes to school. My friend says, "I'm way done with school. I'm a Doctor."

He's actually a Pharmacist with the PharmD degree.

A PharmD is a professional doctorate. Nothing to see here folks.

Edit---
Although, the wording is very misleading and can make believe that he is actually a physician, rather than a pharmacist.
 
Not really a funny quote but its kind of a personal pet peeve when people ask me if I "passed" my MCAT. Like if there is some cut off point considered as "passing".
 
Not really a funny quote but its kind of a personal pet peeve when people ask me if I "passed" my MCAT. Like if there is some cut off point considered as "passing".

Haha same thing happens to me too. I usually laugh and give them this look like "what is wrong with you?!" They start to feel guilty as if somehow they were supposed to know better, at which time I come back to earth and realize, "wait, how are they supposed to know how the MCAT is scored?" and then explain it to them. 😀
 
Haha same thing happens to me too. I usually laugh and give them this look like "what is wrong with you?!" They start to feel guilty as if somehow they were supposed to know better, at which time I come back to earth and realize, "wait, how are they supposed to know how the MCAT is scored?" and then explain it to them. 😀

Lol. I always give them a face too, similar to this
NUP-142710-0175.jpg


And then I just say "yes" cuz Im too lazy to get into all the details about scores and what is considered good and why.

The thing with me is that its often other premeds asking me this, and Im just like dude you should kind of know how the scoring works and what to aim for.
 
And then I just say "yes" cuz Im too lazy to get into all the details about scores and what is considered good and why.

I usually give them the percentile if they're not familiar with the MCAT. People understand that much better than a random number.
 
Not really a funny quote but its kind of a personal pet peeve when people ask me if I "passed" my MCAT. Like if there is some cut off point considered as "passing".

I would have a hard time explaining to people that even though 45 is the highest score possible, very few people actually get a +40. Some people just took this as my justification for why I was "only" able to get a +30 and not a +40 score. 🙄
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Talking to a pre-med friend about M1 year:

Me: The rest of the semester is cardiac physiology, its pretty ridiculous (At a school where the cardio phys prof is notorious for difficulty)
pre-med: Thats nothing, cardiac physiology is easy!


*urge to kill, rising.....*
 
Talking to a pre-med friend about M1 year:

Me: The rest of the semester is cardiac physiology, its pretty ridiculous (At a school where the cardio phys prof is notorious for difficulty)
pre-med: Thats nothing, cardiac physiology is easy!


*urge to kill, rising.....*

:laugh: :laugh:
 
What do you think about those high schoolers/undergraduate freshman who read medical books like surgical manuals for fun? Weird/neurotic or not? I swear I've met about 15 people who say theve done this
 
What do you think about those high schoolers/undergraduate freshman who read medical books like surgical manuals for fun? Weird/neurotic or not? I swear I've met about 15 people who say theve done this

When I was a sophomore in high school I bought Gray's Anatomy with the intent to read it all. I got to page 3.
 
Lol. but looking back what do you think of your decision to buy it

I must have been thinking something along the lines of, "OMG if I read this this I'll know so much I'll essentially be a doctor lolz." Looking back, I think it was a waste of 20 dollars and 7 minutes.
 
This gem recently popped up on SDN. I've gotten in trouble for quoting people and then sharing it in order to have a laugh at their comment(s) so I've excluded the name of this poster as to not harass them.

>31 MCAT score is pretty much a shoe-in to an MD school. They like to worship to MCAT numbers, most even don't consider too much about the GPAs. Numbers game is their playground.

My experiences with physicians so long tell me that DOs are more down to earth persons than most of the MDs, who think themselves are like small-scaled gods on Earth. There must have been a philosophy behind this phenomenon.
 
I got grays anatomy as a christmas gift in high school.... it was the only weird gift though.
 
I got grays anatomy as a christmas gift in high school.... it was the only weird gift though.

I got two of them for Christmas. One modern one and one from the 1920s. They are just shelf decorations.


Sent from my iPod using SDN Mobile app. Please excuse the typos.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
That's the one I bought. It's chilling on my shelf right now.

I got two of them for Christmas. One modern one and one from the 1920s. They are just shelf decorations.

I always find it funny when I walk into a professor's office and they have hundreds of books, mostly for show, I'm sure.

The following is from the front page of a website of a company that sells books "by the yard" to people who just want to fill shelves;

"Contrary to popular belief, the most expensive aspect of creating an elegant library or study is not the furniture. It is not the impressive bookcase or the fancy lighting or even the cozy reading chair. Actually, the priciest design element of a library is almost always (what else?) the books.

No doubt about it, books are expensive. When bought one at a time they might not seem too pricey, but when purchased as a collection the cost of books can really add up. At ______, we recognize the expense of creating an impressive library. We also appreciate the beauty of decorative books. That is precisely why we offer books by the yard.

The adage "do not judge a book by its cover" does not apply at _______. Here, we ask that you disregard the quality of the text in favor of our books' outer beauty. Home libraries are often more about decorative splendor than they are functionality. In offering books by the yard, we give our clients the opportunity to spend hundreds of dollars on volume collections as opposed to thousands.
 
I just remembered this little gem the other day. In my Kaplan MCAT class, we went around the room on the first day and said what fields we might be interested in. Everyone gave the usual answers until we got to one girl who said "I want to be a child psychologist." She quit showing up a few weeks in. Maybe someone told her that you don't go to med school for psychology.
 
I just remembered this little gem the other day. In my Kaplan MCAT class, we went around the room on the first day and said what fields we might be interested in. Everyone gave the usual answers until we got to one girl who said "I want to be a child psychologist." She quit showing up a few weeks in. Maybe someone told her that you don't go to med school for psychology.

Ouch. That's like $1200 right?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using SDN Mobile
 
I just remembered this little gem the other day. In my Kaplan MCAT class, we went around the room on the first day and said what fields we might be interested in. Everyone gave the usual answers until we got to one girl who said "I want to be a child psychologist." She quit showing up a few weeks in. Maybe someone told her that you don't go to med school for psychology.

I was going to say to give her the benefit of the doubt and that she meant psychiatrist, but the fact she left a few weeks in means you are probably right
 
Meh, the classes were worthless. The online material was where it was at. Maybe she was the informed one. 😱!
 
I always find it funny when I walk into a professor's office and they have hundreds of books, mostly for show, I'm sure.

The following is from the front page of a website of a company that sells books "by the yard" to people who just want to fill shelves;


Dear god, that is pathetic (books by the yard).
 
👍👍👍 Dude I laughed really hard at this

Glad you got a kick out of it 😀👍

The first lesson I learned in medical school was that UG prepared me so poorly for what I was going to be doing academically that I didnt even have the capacity to understand how much more there was in each topic. It is easy to think that once you come out of a class you unplug matrix style and "know kung fu" :laugh: As it turns out, that is just a failure of imagination for the most part.
 
and all that malpractice they pay certainly makes the depth of understanding as intense too 🙄

When you have the option to put your "patient" down, the standard mantra of "steroid, antibiotic, or put it down" can get you through pretty far. My vet puts his damn stethoscope in backwards most of the time and use the otoscope to check eyes (not that you are going to get much of a clear retinal image on a dog anyways...)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4qP8LHurwHw&sns=em
 
4 chambers, 4 valves, systole = squeeze. BOOM. Done. Cardiologist 😎

I took a medical science class in high school and everyone who memorized the parts of the heart thought that they were going to go med school now. Oh high school pre-meds 🙄
 
I took a medical science class in high school and everyone who memorized the parts of the heart thought that they were going to go med school now. Oh high school pre-meds 🙄

This is cracking me up. "I don't think I could be a doctor because I can't memorize over 200 bones"

Sent from my DROID RAZR using SDN Mobile
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Is going on a medical mission vacation where I hammer some nails and hand out aspirin for a few hours between liquor shots and surfing considered volunteering?

Better than volunteering, you are saving lives! I affirm them, and hope one day I can do this too!


Sent from my iPhone using SDN Mobile app please excuse punctuation and spelling
 
Glad you got a kick out of it 😀👍

The first lesson I learned in medical school was that UG prepared me so poorly for what I was going to be doing academically that I didnt even have the capacity to understand how much more there was in each topic. It is easy to think that once you come out of a class you unplug matrix style and "know kung fu" :laugh: As it turns out, that is just a failure of imagination for the most part.

This statement scares me to the core. And yet I can't wait for classes to start. :laugh:
 
Never hated triangles more in my life

Sent from my DROID RAZR using SDN Mobile


What is with anatomists' obsession with triangles?! WTF... And then where there clearly ISN'T a triangle, they just divide another shape in half to make it a triangle!

...Makes me wonder how long they stared at the Circle of Willis trying to find something to bisect it twice so they could call it "the Four Triangles of Willis"
 
Status
Not open for further replies.