Funny quotes from "less informed" premeds

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Sat next to a woman who talked to me about her grand kids and their medical pursuits. One grand daughter was attending med school while the other grandson was a hopeless cause to them.

I asked them why they thought so and she said, well his sister got all 4.0s but he only managed 3.6 and 3.8s. I told them that he stood a great chance and asked if he had taken the MCAT. She said he got a 42 and didn't think it was good enough because he wasn't accepted anywhere. I was pretty frustrated at this point but I then asked her how many schools he applied to to which she responded as four.
 
Sat next to a woman who talked to me about her grand kids and their medical pursuits. One grand daughter was attending med school while the other grandson was a hopeless cause to them.

I asked them why they thought so and she said, well his sister got all 4.0s but he only managed 3.6 and 3.8s. I told them that he stood a great chance and asked if he had taken the MCAT. She said he got a 42 and didn't think it was good enough because he wasn't accepted anywhere. I was pretty frustrated at this point but I then asked her how many schools he applied to to which she responded as four.

Its always possible her numbers were off as well. Or the kid is a social *****.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using SDN Mobile
 
Sat next to a woman who talked to me about her grand kids and their medical pursuits. One grand daughter was attending med school while the other grandson was a hopeless cause to them.

I asked them why they thought so and she said, well his sister got all 4.0s but he only managed 3.6 and 3.8s. I told them that he stood a great chance and asked if he had taken the MCAT. She said he got a 42 and didn't think it was good enough because he wasn't accepted anywhere. I was pretty frustrated at this point but I then asked her how many schools he applied to to which she responded as four.

Maybe he really got a 4, 3 and 2 and she just heard "four, three, two" as "forty-two." That might explain the problem.

Either that or you just got trolled by Grannie!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Me: So what did you get on the MCAT ???? !?

Her: 33

Me: Oh.. are you going to retake? You know, you can apply to DO schools and Caribbean.

Her: No, I think my score is fine. I've done some volunteering and have 4th author on a research paper so I think im fairly competitive 🙂laugh🙂.

Me: Oh.... well good luck with that.


Haha.. premeds these days
 
Me: So what did you get on the MCAT ???? !?

Her: 33

Me: Oh.. are you going to retake? You know, you can apply to DO schools and Caribbean.

Her: No, I think my score is fine. I've done some volunteering and have 4th author on a research paper so I think im fairly competitive 🙂laugh🙂.

Me: Oh.... well good luck with that.


Haha.. premeds these days

The average score for entrance to med school is 31-33... I don't really understand why this is funny. Am I missing something??? 😕
 
I'm barrels of fun.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using SDN Mobile

I always picture you as spock like irl.


This u specter??


hE716A8F6
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I always picture you as spock like irl.


This u specter??


hE716A8F6

I just realize he has the same haircut as Lloyd Christmas.

Also no. I never liked star trek. I would accept Jayne, Dr. Rush, Rodney McKay, or Bill Adama. Not all similar character types, but whatevvs

Sent from my DROID RAZR using SDN Mobile
 
wtf.gif



Star trek is a quality show. At least the original series and the next generation. why don't you like it?

Did you like the Star Trek 2009 movie?

Scene-from-Star-Trek-2009-001.jpg


it was pretty badass

Yes. That movie was baller. Excited for the second one too. But the show..... :barf:

Sent from my DROID RAZR using SDN Mobile
 
I'm just curious, for the people who think that medical school refers to training to become a nurse/pharmacy tech, etc.., what school do they think that one goes to to become a doctor? doctor school?

I've mentioned it before in this thread but my cousin went to trade school for medical assistant. She went to "medical school like me," as she likes to say at family gatherings. I have to leave the room before I say something and ruin the holidays
 
I once complained to a friend that I was worried about getting a C in a class, because it would affect my chances of getting into medical school.

Her response: "Ah, it's okay. All they care about is that you passed."

(To be fair, she wasn't pre-med or even a college student for that matter.)
 
My sister and my cousin tried to convince me that medical schools don't care if you have a bachelors or not, as long as you have taken the pre req courses. I told them they were absolutely right, and that I was also going to skip the pre reqs and apply without taking the MCAT, because medical schools won't care.

And of course:
Friend: I've considered dentistry but I'm gonna stick to medicine
Me: Why?
Friend: When I say to people "I'm a dentist" it just doesn't sound as prestigious, you know *he was completely serious*
Me: You forgot that doctors also make more money!!!!!!!!!

Also, my other sister, who is currently in dental school, told me that I should keep dentistry as my back up in case I don't get into medical school. I told her she forgot that I am already keeping radiology technician school as a back up!

Finally,
Girl: So you wanna become a doctor?
Me: Yes...
Girl: Oh that's cool, what medical school are you aiming for, Harvard?
Me: Just a US medical school...
Girl: You're smart, you can get into any medical school you want...
Me: Of course I can I'm Batman
 
My sister and my cousin tried to convince me that medical schools don't care if you have a bachelors or not, as long as you have taken the pre req courses. I told them they were absolutely right, and that I was also going to skip the pre reqs and apply without taking the MCAT, because medical schools won't care.

And of course:
Friend: I've considered dentistry but I'm gonna stick to medicine
Me: Why?
Friend: When I say to people "I'm a dentist" it just doesn't sound as prestigious, you know *he was completely serious*
Me: You forgot that doctors also make more money!!!!!!!!!

Also, my other sister, who is currently in dental school, told me that I should keep dentistry as my back up in case I don't get into medical school. I told her she forgot that I am already keeping radiology technician school as a back up!

Finally,
Girl: So you wanna become a doctor?
Me: Yes...
Girl: Oh that's cool, what medical school are you aiming for, Harvard?
Me: Just a US medical school...
Girl: You're smart, you can get into any medical school you want...
Me: Of course I can I'm Batman

No need to lie, we know you weren't joking when you said those things.
 
I work with someone who is "pre-med" (non-health care related job). She's in a CC and planning on transferring to a 4 year. I recommended a slightly easier undergrad for a better gpa and said "GPA and MCAT are really the most important". She looks at me and goes: "What's an MCAT?" I respond with "the test you have to take to get into med school." As if the beginning of the conversation wasn't bad enough, she goes "Wait, you have to take a test?!"

She was dead serious. WHAT?! 😕


I can't tell you how many students I've met who had low ACT or SAT scores and somehow think that they will end up in med school. They all say "I'm a bad test taker." How do they think they'll do when it they have to take the MCAT? I guess a number of them don't even know it exists. 🙁
 
I can't tell you how many students I've met who had low ACT or SAT scores and somehow think that they will end up in med school. They all say "I'm a bad test taker." How do they think they'll do when it they have to take the MCAT? I guess a number of them don't even know it exists. 🙁

I had a relatively low SAT score and high school GPA, yet I got into an awesome undergrad that really challenged me -- something my high school failed to do. Stop being an elitist, there are often mitigating factors for why someone might be underperforming.
 
I can't tell you how many students I've met who had low ACT or SAT scores and somehow think that they will end up in med school. They all say "I'm a bad test taker." How do they think they'll do when it they have to take the MCAT? I guess a number of them don't even know it exists. 🙁

I had a "bad" SAT score because I stayed up all night before and never opened a study book. I showed up late to the test too.

Got into medical school because I was more serious about the MCAT.
 
I had a relatively low SAT score and high school GPA, yet I got into an awesome undergrad that really challenged me -- something my high school failed to do. Stop being an elitist, there are often mitigating factors for why someone might be underperforming.

There's a difference between knowing you didn't prepare or take a test seriously and knowing that you aren't comfortable with standardized tests or don't perform well on them for whatever reason.

Edit: Yeah, like what BABS said.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I had a relatively low SAT score and high school GPA, yet I got into an awesome undergrad that really challenged me -- something my high school failed to do. Stop being an elitist, there are often mitigating factors for why someone might be underperforming.

Same exact story here. I got an 18 on the ACT (didnt study) and had a 2.7 HS GPA I failed one class during an emotionally savage year. All of my other grades were As and Bs; but I not once studied because I wasn't challenged. So I got into and took two years at a state school with a 3.9 and txfrd to a much more difficult school. That experience was what I needed to get the confidence necessary to even consider Med school. Some of us were just very fortunate. But there are definitely some very overconfident or otherwise oblivious ppl out there. It reminds me a lot of those contestants on shows like America's Got Talent that think their voices or talents are god's gift to man but end up humiliating themselves 🙁 I can't bear to watch that stuff.
 
I can't tell you how many students I've met who had low ACT or SAT scores and somehow think that they will end up in med school. They all say "I'm a bad test taker." How do they think they'll do when it they have to take the MCAT? I guess a number of them don't even know it exists. 🙁

You sound like the Hater of the year, Oh man I can't tell you how many kids I know who don't have a job or any money or clothes but think they are going to be successful in life SMH "ever heard of ambition and development of self".


Any way

Pre med girl, and I had a convo Lol

Girl: Yeah im getting married to a marine so I'll probably do my medical school online.

Me: Really I don't think that's possible though (giggle)

Girl: No I can I'll just do them online until I get ready to go to the campus.

Me: Well that's, that's cool.
 
I just started Physics 2 this week and as an intro the professor was going over electric charges, static electricity and basically was going over a diagram about making a ball have a positive charge. After he said the ball now has a positive charge the girl next to me leaned over and asked me "so what happens now that its positive? does the ball start glowing?"

i wish i had a picture of my face after i heard her, im pretty sure it must have been something like 😱
 
When I ask a young attractive blonde friend of mine her future plans for college she replies,"I was thinking about doing medical assisting, but I think now I wanna do the radiology program (at the CC to become a tech) and become a radiologist and then I'll specialize."


..... just nod my head and say... oh really..... sweet.... (I'm too into her to tell her she's clueless haha! :laugh: )
 
When I ask a young attractive blonde friend of mine her future plans for college she replies,"I was thinking about doing medical assisting, but I think now I wanna do the radiology program (at the CC to become a tech) and become a radiologist and then I'll specialize."


..... just nod my head and say... oh really..... sweet.... (I'm too into her to tell her she's clueless haha! :laugh: )

Maybe I just can't relate because my father is a physician... but where exactly are these kids getting the idea that you can just opt into one of the most sought after jobs (at various levels) by taking a few CC credits? Freshman year, nearly 80% of my intro bio lecture (400ish students) were pre-med. You'd think this level of ignorance just wouldnt be possible.
Then again, honey booboo is a thing so.....
 
Maybe I just can't relate because my father is a physician... but where exactly are these kids getting the idea that you can just opt into one of the most sought after jobs (at various levels) by taking a few CC credits? Freshman year, nearly 80% of my intro bio lecture (400ish students) were pre-med. You'd think this level of ignorance just wouldnt be possible.
Then again, honey booboo is a thing so.....

In my experience, they have always been females. They say, " Yeah I wanna go to med school too i'm entering this fall..." i'm like what??? you're 18... and it turns out to be some trade school where they will become CNA or Medical Assistant... then I specify I'm interested in becoming a doctor and it seems to click... always females though.....

With my other friend I told her I was interested in radiology and she kept talking about how much money she will make as a radiologist after her tech program at the CC and then once she's a radiologist she will specialize... haha like wtf?!?!?

Not tryin to be sexist but I feel there are TONS of premed girls that are just premed cuz they think the scrubs look cute.
 
I had a relatively low SAT score and high school GPA, yet I got into an awesome undergrad that really challenged me -- something my high school failed to do. Stop being an elitist, there are often mitigating factors for why someone might be underperforming.


lol...I'm hardly an elitist.


there's a difference between having a lowish SAT (what was it?) because that test may not have been too important to you and someone who routinely doesn't "test well".
 
I had a "bad" SAT score because I stayed up all night before and never opened a study book. I showed up late to the test too.

Got into medical school because I was more serious about the MCAT.

There's a difference between knowing you didn't prepare or take a test seriously and knowing that you aren't comfortable with standardized tests or don't perform well on them for whatever reason.

Edit: Yeah, like what BABS said.


Exactly!
 
In my experience, they have always been females. They say, " Yeah I wanna go to med school too i'm entering this fall..." i'm like what??? you're 18... and it turns out to be some trade school where they will become CNA or Medical Assistant... then I specify I'm interested in becoming a doctor and it seems to click... always females though.....

With my other friend I told her I was interested in radiology and she kept talking about how much money she will make as a radiologist after her tech program at the CC and then once she's a radiologist she will specialize... haha like wtf?!?!?

Not tryin to be sexist but I feel there are TONS of premed girls that are just premed cuz they think the scrubs look cute.

There are just as many clueless boys. You probably talk more to the girls, or pay less attention to the guys.

I know a kid that told me that first he was going to get his PhD in surgery and be a surgeon for about 10 years (making lots of money and becoming rich), then he would get his MD and work in a family practice until he retires.

I tried to tell him that PhD doctors do not do surgery. He was adamant that anyone that is a "doctor" can do surgery, but only MDs can work in FM.

We argued for over 15 minutes when I finally just gave up and walked away. No point trying to argue with ignorance.

dsoz
 
No point trying to argue with ignorance.

Orly? :meanie:

I would agree with you on the other points. I am not in the habit of asking random dudes what their life plans are and only tend to ask girls because what else are you going to talk about downtown at the bar? :laugh:
 
lol...I'm hardly an elitist.


there's a difference between having a lowish SAT (what was it?) because that test may not have been too important to you and someone who routinely doesn't "test well".

You really can't judge someone's aptitude for medical school based on a test he prepped for (or, as in most cases, didn't prep for) and took when he was 16/17. That's why everything you do in high school is really insignificant (except for things you did that you were arrested for doing) in the eyes of medical schools.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Orly? :meanie:

I would agree with you on the other points. I am not in the habit of asking random dudes what their life plans are and only tend to ask girls because what else are you going to talk about downtown at the bar? :laugh:

Sometimes when they ask me, I think they are genuinely interested. 🙁
 
Sometimes when they ask me, I think they are genuinely interested. 🙁

nope they just pity you enough to try to save your cute little pride by striking up some new, basic conversation since they're so utterly uninterested in whatever else it was you were interested in talking about. Thanks for playing, next contestant please!
 
nope they just pity you enough to try to save your cute little pride by striking up some new, basic conversation since they're so utterly uninterested in whatever else it was you were interested in talking about. Thanks for playing, next contestant please!

This would be true, but I cannot deny that I am a brilliant conversationalist. :meanie:
 
This would be true, but I cannot deny that I am a brilliant conversationalist. :meanie:

Lol...I might argue that the ones who are self-appointed "brilliant conversationalists" are the ones who the attractive lady candidates at the bar likely find to be the least interesting conversationalists.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.