Funny quotes from "less informed" premeds

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Lol...I might argue that the ones who are self-appointed "brilliant conversationalists" are the ones who the attractive lady candidates at the bar likely find to be the least interesting conversationalists.

I wish I had an image to post. 😳

Likewise, I find that women who designate an inflated value to themselves because of their looks or because they are aesthetically pleasing tend to shoo us away because the level of interaction is much too captivating for them. It is just that kind of dynamic I have experienced in the past.
 
I wish I had an image to post. 😳

Likewise, I find that women who designate an inflated value to themselves because of their looks or because they are aesthetically pleasing tend to shoo us away because the level of interaction is much too captivating for them. It is just that kind of dynamic I have experienced in the past.

Shoo US away? Speak for yourself bro!😎
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
My best friend's girlfriend is pre-med, so whenever she talks about admission, I try to be encouraging and optimistic. But at the same time, I feel like I owe it to her (and him) to be honest. One of our conversations:

Her: I'm so jealous you got into X School of Medicine. That's where I want to go!

Me: When do you plan on applying?

Her: Next year.

Me: Cool- how's the application coming along?

Her: My GPA is down to 3.0 after all those D's in calculus and orgo, but the MCAT should help me out.

Me: Well that's great, what'd ya get?!

Her: I haven't started studying for it yet.

Me: Gotcha...well, make sure you get some clinical experience and volunteering done.

Her: I haven't started that yet either, but I'm REALLY looking for a research position at Yale. Once I have that I'll be all set.

Me (like a lying idiot): Yeah you will. 😎

Another conversation, shortly after:

Me: You should re-take those courses you got D's in, it would probably help a lot.

Her: Right, but only DO schools allow grade replacement.

Me: Nice, you know your stuff. So which DO schools are you applying to?

Her: None. I was going to, but they get paid so much less for their degree.

This is where I changed the subject.
 
Another conversation, shortly after:

Me: You should re-take those courses you got D's in, it would probably help a lot.

Her: Right, but only DO schools allow grade replacement.

Me: Nice, you know your stuff. So which DO schools are you applying to?

Her: None. I was going to, but they get paid so much less for their degree.

This is where I changed the subject.

She's right. Even a janitor gets paid much better than a DO. 🙄
 
My best friend's girlfriend is pre-med, so whenever she talks about admission, I try to be encouraging and optimistic. But at the same time, I feel like I owe it to her (and him) to be honest. One of our conversations:

Her: I'm so jealous you got into X School of Medicine. That's where I want to go!

Me: When do you plan on applying?

Her: Next year.

Me: Cool- how's the application coming along?

Her: My GPA is down to 3.0 after all those D's in calculus and orgo, but the MCAT should help me out.

Me: Well that's great, what'd ya get?!

Her: I haven't started studying for it yet.

Me: Gotcha...well, make sure you get some clinical experience and volunteering done.

Her: I haven't started that yet either, but I'm REALLY looking for a research position at Yale. Once I have that I'll be all set.

Me (like a lying idiot): Yeah you will. 😎

Another conversation, shortly after:

Me: You should re-take those courses you got D's in, it would probably help a lot.

Her: Right, but only DO schools allow grade replacement.

Me: Nice, you know your stuff. So which DO schools are you applying to?

Her: None. I was going to, but they get paid so much less for their degree.

This is where I changed the subject.

OMG!!! I'm dying over here. :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh: 🙄
 
My best friend's girlfriend is pre-med, so whenever she talks about admission, I try to be encouraging and optimistic. But at the same time, I feel like I owe it to her (and him) to be honest. One of our conversations:

Her: I'm so jealous you got into X School of Medicine. That's where I want to go!

Me: When do you plan on applying?

Her: Next year.

Me: Cool- how's the application coming along?

Her: My GPA is down to 3.0 after all those D's in calculus and orgo, but the MCAT should help me out.

Me: Well that's great, what'd ya get?!

Her: I haven't started studying for it yet.

Me: Gotcha...well, make sure you get some clinical experience and volunteering done.

Her: I haven't started that yet either, but I'm REALLY looking for a research position at Yale. Once I have that I'll be all set.

Me (like a lying idiot): Yeah you will. 😎

Another conversation, shortly after:

Me: You should re-take those courses you got D's in, it would probably help a lot.

Her: Right, but only DO schools allow grade replacement.

Me: Nice, you know your stuff. So which DO schools are you applying to?

Her: None. I was going to, but they get paid so much less for their degree.

This is where I changed the subject.

Oh goodness. Those are the worst ones. Nice people who are just misinformed. It'd probably be easier to stomach if it was someone that's hard to get along with.
 
This one always seems to baffle me.

33329331.jpg
 
My best friend's girlfriend is pre-med, so whenever she talks about admission, I try to be encouraging and optimistic. But at the same time, I feel like I owe it to her (and him) to be honest. One of our conversations:

Her: I'm so jealous you got into X School of Medicine. That's where I want to go!

Me: When do you plan on applying?

Her: Next year.

Me: Cool- how's the application coming along?

Her: My GPA is down to 3.0 after all those D's in calculus and orgo, but the MCAT should help me out.

Me: Well that's great, what'd ya get?!

Her: I haven't started studying for it yet.

Me: Gotcha...well, make sure you get some clinical experience and volunteering done.

Her: I haven't started that yet either, but I'm REALLY looking for a research position at Yale. Once I have that I'll be all set.

Me (like a lying idiot): Yeah you will. 😎

Another conversation, shortly after:

Me: You should re-take those courses you got D's in, it would probably help a lot.

Her: Right, but only DO schools allow grade replacement.

Me: Nice, you know your stuff. So which DO schools are you applying to?

Her: None. I was going to, but they get paid so much less for their degree.

This is where I changed the subject.

At first I was sure you made this whole thing up. But then I thought about all the threads on SDN that support people actually thinking all those things.
 
Found this on an active SDN member's SDN apps.

Rocky Vista University - "I have decided that D.O. is not for me. I have what it takes to be an M.D. "Summary of Experience:
I have decided that D.O. is not for me. I have what it takes to be an M.D.

New York College of New York Tech. - "I have decided that D.O. is not for me. I have what it takes to be an M.D. "Summary of Experience:
I have decided that D.O. is not for me. I have what it takes to be an M.D.
View New York College of New York Tech. >
West Virginia (D.O.) - "I have decided that D.O. is not for me. I have what it takes to be an M.D. "
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I forgot about this one. This guy was the total opposite of all those starry-eyed premeds applying to Harvard with a 3.0 and 28P:

Friend: I'm planning on applying to our state medical school, but most likely I'll end up going to the Caribbean.

Me: I don't think that's a good idea. Caribbean schools are expensive and the shortage of residencies means you might end up without a job after you graduate. You should do everything you can to get into a US school.

Friend: I know, but I don't think I have the grades anymore.

Me: Things probably aren't as bad as you think. What's your GPA?

Friend: That B I just got in Physics brought me down to a 3.89.
 
I forgot about this one. This guy was the total opposite of all those starry-eyed premeds applying to Harvard with a 3.0 and 28P:

Friend: I'm planning on applying to our state medical school, but most likely I'll end up going to the Caribbean.

Me: I don't think that's a good idea. Caribbean schools are expensive and the shortage of residencies means you might end up without a job after you graduate. You should do everything you can to get into a US school.

Friend: I know, but I don't think I have the grades anymore.

Me: Things probably aren't as bad as you think. What's your GPA?

Friend: That B I just got in Physics brought me down to a 3.89.
Bless his sweet little heart!
 
In my Organic 2 class there was a hot Indian girl who was dumber than a stick. She kept saying she was pre-med, but also talked about how she failed Org 1 and somehow barely passed it the second time when she took in over the summer. She failed our first three tests, but still wouldn't drop the class. I finally asked her how she expected to get into Medical School with her grades and she replied, "Oh It's cool, I'll just go to a Caribbean school and my brother will pay for it." 😵
 
I have a sorority sister who is retaking general bio for the third time (after getting an F and a D) and has a cgpa less than 2.5 who still says she's premed.....I don't have the heart to tell her she needs to rethink her career choices

Sent from my SCH-I405 using SDN Mobile
 
Heard today....Not funny though, quite repulsive actually.

White idiot: "Yea there's like 8 or 9 med schools in Texas.....Yea including that one D.O one...But yea I'm not goin to apply there it's the run of the mill sh** with that chiropractor BS...."

Asian Idiot: "Oh UNT?"

White idiot: "yeaaaa that...never wanna go there."

Asian Idiot: "lol yea don't go there"


It went on and on - the Asian guy had an acceptance to Dental school and it's quite astonishing due to the fact that he was socially impaired in regards to being the typical pre-dent/pre-med fitting the exact stereotype - Idk how he succeeded in an interview without sounding like a complete douche thinking all about grades and the standardized test...I swear some people are incompetent..

It went on for at least an hour. I wanted to stand up and knock them the f*** out. Both of them - particularly the Asian guy, trying to give nuance advice to this poor premed business major.
 
I forgot about this one. This guy was the total opposite of all those starry-eyed premeds applying to Harvard with a 3.0 and 28P:

Friend: I'm planning on applying to our state medical school, but most likely I'll end up going to the Caribbean.

Me: I don't think that's a good idea. Caribbean schools are expensive and the shortage of residencies means you might end up without a job after you graduate. You should do everything you can to get into a US school.

Friend: I know, but I don't think I have the grades anymore.

Me: Things probably aren't as bad as you think. What's your GPA?

Friend: That B I just got in Physics brought me down to a 3.89.

images
 
Heard today....Not funny though, quite repulsive actually.

White idiot: "Yea there's like 8 or 9 med schools in Texas.....Yea including that one D.O one...But yea I'm not goin to apply there it's the run of the mill sh** with that chiropractor BS...."

Asian Idiot: "Oh UNT?"

White idiot: "yeaaaa that...never wanna go there."

Asian Idiot: "lol yea don't go there"


It went on and on - the Asian guy had an acceptance to Dental school and it's quite astonishing due to the fact that he was socially impaired in regards to being the typical pre-dent/pre-med fitting the exact stereotype - Idk how he succeeded in an interview without sounding like a complete douche thinking all about grades and the standardized test...I swear some people are incompetent..

It went on for at least an hour. I wanted to stand up and knock them the f*** out. Both of them - particularly the Asian guy, trying to give nuance advice to this poor premed business major.

This post comes off as a bit racist.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Overheard in bio...

Girl 1: Why are you doing so many minors?
Girl 2: I'm minoring in communications so that I can communicate with my patients and business for when I open my own practice.
 
I think that thinking you need a minor in communications to be able to communicate with patients is stupid. Plus, one-on-one interactions aren't really the focus of communications. Having some business knowledge would be helpful for anyone, but I think that thinking a minor in business would necessarily prepare you to run a practice is naive.
 
I think that thinking you need a minor in communications to be able to communicate with patients is stupid. Plus, one-on-one interactions aren't really the focus of communications. Having some business knowledge would be helpful for anyone, but I think that thinking a minor in business would necessarily prepare you to run a practice is naive.

This.. The undergrad is clueless. Thinking she needs a minor to perform such a task is absurd. She has good intentions, but is just another ill-informed premed.
 
This.. The undergrad is clueless. Thinking she needs a minor to perform such a task is absurd. She has good intentions, but is just another ill-informed premed.

As the only one of us three that is in medical school: the things you learn in your elective or minor classes can actually be quite helpful in your development as a physician.

The skills that she learns in her communications courses might not be directly applicable to patient interaction, but they could form a basis for an effective communication style to use in the future. The business skills may not alone be enough for her to run a private practice, but they could still help her understand things better later on, rather than being a fish out of water like many physicians trying to run a private practice.
 
As the only one of us three that is in medical school: the things you learn in your elective or minor classes can actually be quite helpful in your development as a physician.

The skills that she learns in her communications courses might not be directly applicable to patient interaction, but they could form a basis for an effective communication style to use in the future. The business skills may not alone be enough for her to run a private practice, but they could still help her understand things better later on, rather than being a fish out of water like many physicians trying to run a private practice.

This is true I had a double major in Biology and Economics (I actually like the subject). It does give a theoretical understand of institutions and investments/loans. Of course it won't give you the know how to run a private practice but it gives a basic foundation of how finance works.

One of the best ways that most graduates of residency try to learn the financial aspect of running a private practice is to work in a private practice run by a senior physician. This helps to ease the transition when one wants to set up his or her own practice.
 
My parents successfully ran their own practice without minors in business or communications lol. I'm not in med school yet, but I have seen what it takes to be a physician in private practice. I guess my family background made her statement seem more ridiculous. But sure, I can see how business classes could help. You could say that about someone interested in owning a business in any field.
 
Buddy: Yeah man, I'm really thinking I want to do medical school or something

me: Cool man, what are your plans and stuff?

buddy: well, I mean I know I'm not the best applicant, and plus I have no qualms doing it the easier way, so I think I'm gonna take the MCAT to see what happens then go down to the Caribbean with (friend in caribbean med school) and have some fun, just enjoy the beach you know?

me: ... um...

friend in caribbean med school: you sad, misinformed, ignorant man...
 
Here is a conversation I had with a gunner in the forensic chemistry lab that I teach. It isn't related to medical school admission, but how hard he tries is hilarious. When I address the whole lab, he apparently assumes I'm just talking to him:

Me (addressing the whole lab): Since we emphasize safety, blahblahblah it is very important that you get these kind of goggles, not safety glasses. See? These goggles protect the sides and back of y--

Student: OK! I need to talk to you about something.

Me: ...aaalright, just let me finish going over safety, and--

Student: OK great, sounds good.

Later on...

Student: I have a friend whose dad works in a lab at my old high school and he thinks he can get me a pair of goggles. Is it alright if I bring them to you to show you them, and you can check them out for me?

Me: Uhh, yup, that'd be fine, or you can just buy them for 5 bucks at the book sto--

Student: ALRIGHT! That'd be awesome, like, I'll just bring them to you next week, and you can make sure they'll protect me from chemicals and stuff, and if they're OK then I'll wear them but if not then you can let me borrow a pair, right? Right? Right?

Me: Yeah...you can borrow a pair for one week if necessary.

Student: Oh my goodness, thank you, thank you, but like, I'll make sure that they're OK, I'll ask my friend's dad first, so they'll be OK for me to wear. Right? Right?

It was pretty embarrassing dealing with him in front of the whole lab. Kid might have severe anxiety issues, which is not funny, but I can tell I'm in for a semester full of similar conversations. Also, the poor kid has...how do I put this...just absolutely overwhelming body odor. Not trying to ridicule here, but you have to picture me at the front of the lab, trying to avoid looking squeamish as this conversation unfolds.
 
Last edited:
me: so have you taken physics yet?
uninformed pre-med: nah, I don't need to. I'm going to be a neurosurgeon.
 
This post comes off as a bit racist.

No dude, the fact that one person was "Asian" and the other was "White" completely changes the story!

Seriously though, he might as well have said "Idiot wearing blue shirt" and "Idiot wearing sneakers" - was race in any way, shape or form relevant? No. 👎
 
No dude, the fact that one person was "Asian" and the other was "White" completely changes the story!

Seriously though, he might as well have said "Idiot wearing blue shirt" and "Idiot wearing sneakers" - was race in any way, shape or form relevant? No. 👎

Oxford comma. :eyebrow:

























:eyebrow:



















































:naughty:
 
Hey MedPr, that guy that said he has what it takes to be an MD and not a DO actually got into MD school.

And I had this guy in my bio class bless his heart lol.

Me: so how many pre reqs do you have left to take.

Guy: well Im taking bio 2 now and chem 1, after that I'll just do bio chemistry, orgo 1 and anatomy and take the mcat.

Me: but you have to have Bio 1,2 Chem 1,2 Physics 1,2 and Orgo 1,2. Thats usually the rule of thumb.

Guy: well not for all schools im gearing my application for (Top private university in my state) and they don't require those, since there so hard to get into If I can apply there, I can apply anywhere.

Girl that inflates his idiocracy: (directed at me) Yeah you should check the website for your #1 school choice because most of them don't require those classes.

Me: haha how silly of me.
 
Me: so how many pre reqs do you have left to take.

Guy: well Im taking bio 2 now and chem 1, after that I'll just do bio chemistry, orgo 1 and anatomy and take the mcat.

Me: but you have to have Bio 1,2 Chem 1,2 Physics 1,2 and Orgo 1,2. Thats usually the rule of thumb.

Guy: well not for all schools im gearing my application for (Top private university in my state) and they don't require those, since there so hard to get into If I can apply there, I can apply anywhere.

Girl that inflates his idiocracy: (directed at me) Yeah you should check the website for your #1 school choice because most of them don't require those classes.

Me: haha how silly of me.


:laugh:

Actually, since many of us walk around with smart phones and iPads, it's funny just to pull up the facts when faced with such insane remarks. I once had someone diss my state's top med school by assuming that because it's in the south and he'd never heard of it, it must be crappy. I pulled the rankings up on my iPad and enjoyed the shocked look on his face when he saw that his first-choice SOM was ranked lower in both the Research and Primary Care lists.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Overheard in bio...

Girl 1: Why are you doing so many minors?
Girl 2: I'm minoring in communications so that I can communicate with my patients and business for when I open my own practice.

FAR wiser than majoring in bio for med school. A better combo would be a major in Spanish with a double-minor in Business and Bio or Chem, IMO. Something like that covers your background pretty well and offers things every doc needs but doesn't learn in med school (from what I hear from attendings, anyway).
 
Status
Not open for further replies.