-
CycleTrack and SDN are teaming up to make medical school admissions more transparent and accessible! Read the announcement to learn how we’re supporting the future of CycleTrack’s free application-tracking tools .
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
Funny quotes from "less informed" premeds
Started by TheGloaming
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
- Status
- Not open for further replies.
FAR wiser than majoring in bio for med school. A better combo would be a major in Spanish with a double-minor in Business and Bio or Chem, IMO. Something like that covers your background pretty well and offers things every doc needs but doesn't learn in med school (from what I hear from attendings, anyway).
If someone could be absolutely certain that s/he's going to med school, the ability to "design your own major" could be useful. After including the pre-med pre-reqs, a student could combine courses in accounting, finance, speech, economics, Spanish, and some fine arts/culture classes. Understanding the business end would be useful. And, it's helpful to be more well-rounded if your specialty involves having a good bedside manner or you want a decent social life. Some doctors have reps for lacking in social skills. Who wants to be a one-dimensional person?
No one. It's not even considered standard usage by most English writers (i.e., the entire UK and most of the US).
Most of the US also uses "your" and "there" to mean about 6 combined different words
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Was hanging out with my friend at my CC a few months back when we ran into a girl he knew and that I had meant once before. We all got to conversing and she said she was pre-med. Asked her where she planned to transfer and she said "Oh, I don't need a degree." Now I know it's technically possible to get accepted without one, but that rarely happens. On the bright side, she otherwise seemed pretty intelligent and informed...and I think URM, so that might help her chances...
All I can say is...good luck lol.
All I can say is...good luck lol.
Yup. I've given up on bringing down the grammar hammer.Most of the US also uses "your" and "there" to mean about 6 combined different words![]()
If someone could be absolutely certain that s/he's going to med school, the ability to "design your own major" could be useful. After including the pre-med pre-reqs, a student could combine courses in accounting, finance, speech, economics, Spanish, and some fine arts/culture classes. Understanding the business end would be useful. And, it's helpful to be more well-rounded if your specialty involves having a good bedside manner or you want a decent social life. Some doctors have reps for lacking in social skills. Who wants to be a one-dimensional person?
I think it is possible to be absolutely certain you'll get in, and a number of schools do let you design your own major at least to some extent. But really, if you've always tested well, made good grades, are personable, and are determined, there's no reason you shouldn't be able to get in to medical school.
Agreed.I think it is possible to be absolutely certain you'll get in, and a number of schools do let you design your own major at least to some extent. But really, if you've always tested well, made good grades, are personable, and are determined, there's no reason you shouldn't be able to get in to medical school.
I think it is possible to be absolutely certain you'll get in, and a number of schools do let you design your own major at least to some extent. But really, if you've always tested well, made good grades, are personable, and are determined, there's no reason you shouldn't be able to get in to medical school.
True. There are a lot of pretty big "Ifs" there, though. There is a reason relatively few of those who try actually get in.
But no, I don't think one's major plays a huge role. AdComs will look at the courses you took, but many of the ones they want are in the med pre-reqs anyways. It will count against you slightly if you take nothing but fluff classes. I would say your app should demonstrate that you were busy. If you took nothing but BS courses and have a near 4.0, make sure you have some extra unique volunteer stuff so someone on the committee doesn't look at it and say "so what, this kid took the bare minimum and partied all day?". They do have access to everything, and these people have a mix of personal beliefs just like all of us. I think pre-meds around here treat admissions like finding the magic code that will unlock a box.
So, on another more comical note, I posted on the OHSU thread that I'd make a silly youtube video of myself celebrating an interview should I receive one and post it to the thread. Now I'm thinking I should've waited to offer that if I got accepted. LoL It'll be fun either way.
Most of the US also uses "your" and "there" to mean about 6 combined different words![]()
I actually meant in terms of professional writers...
If someone could be absolutely certain that s/he's going to med school, the ability to "design your own major" could be useful. After including the pre-med pre-reqs, a student could combine courses in accounting, finance, speech, economics, Spanish, and some fine arts/culture classes. Understanding the business end would be useful. And, it's helpful to be more well-rounded if your specialty involves having a good bedside manner or you want a decent social life. Some doctors have reps for lacking in social skills. Who wants to be a one-dimensional person?
I think it is possible to be absolutely certain you'll get in, and a number of schools do let you design your own major at least to some extent. But really, if you've always tested well, made good grades, are personable, and are determined, there's no reason you shouldn't be able to get in to medical school.
Oh I agree. I was just looking at it from the standpoint of what might make for a better well-rounded physician - assuming admittance. Since most schools do not have a Premed major, designing a major with the above-listed classes might make for a better prepared "all around" person professionally and personally. I should have also included Philosophy, such as the Deductive Logic class. That class would benefit nearly everyone regardless of major or career goal.
Oh of course, but that's because just statistically most people won't fall into those zones. Honestly though, if you're enough above average that you fit these requirements, it should be pretty easy for you to tell.True. There are a lot of pretty big "Ifs" there, though. There is a reason relatively few of those who try actually get in.
Oh of course, but that's because just statistically most people won't fall into those zones. Honestly though, if you're enough above average that you fit these requirements, it should be pretty easy for you to tell.
Yeah, that I can agree with 👍
D
deleted503015
I was hoping somebody would get the reference:
[YOUTUBE]P_i1xk07o4g[/YOUTUBE]
![]()
don't worry some of us did 😛
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Gratz on the Vandy acceptance. Your MDApps profile is living proof of all the advice I gave to Vandy applicants over the last two years. 🙂don't worry some of us did 😛
I'm just curious, for the people who think that medical school refers to training to become a nurse/pharmacy tech, etc.., what school do they think that one goes to to become a doctor? doctor school?
Yup. Had a whole conversation with a girl about medical school until she finally asked me if I was PreMed and attending "Doctor School" next year.
I vote we all start saying we're going to attend "Doctor School" from now on to avoid any confusion. LoLYup. Had a whole conversation with a girl about medical school until she finally asked me if I was PreMed and attending "Doctor School" next year.
I've thought about this a bit, though. And if you're really intent on conveying yourself accurately, try to work "physician" into to the mix if you feel the person is confused. I personally don't run into any of that confusion, though, and probably wouldn't care enough to elaborate if I did. However, so many of my pts tell me their children are "radiologists" after they graduated medical school in 1 to 2 years. Again, I just don't have the heart to burst their bubble and explain the difference between techs and radiologists. I do, however, explain the difference between mid level providers (e.g., NPs, CRNAs) and physicians as a learning opportunity now that the profession is surging. So many pts confuse them for physicians, or anyone with a white coat for that matter.
I remember telling my high school sweetheart how I wanted to become a physician. Her response,
"Really? I didn't know you liked physics."
She was cute. 🙂
"Really? I didn't know you liked physics."
She was cute. 🙂
Yup. Had a whole conversation with a girl about medical school until she finally asked me if I was PreMed and attending "Doctor School" next year.
👍
I remember telling my high school sweetheart how I wanted to become a physician. Her response,
"Really? I didn't know you liked physics."
She was cute. 🙂
My little brother (still in high school) introduced me to his girlfriend. She asked me what I am doing, and I respond, "going to school to be a physician."
She responded with, "I took a physics class and it seems like they know everything. So are you going to rediscover gravity or something?"
It was at this moment that I found I didn't really like her.
my little brother (still in high school) introduced me to his girlfriend. She asked me what i am doing, and i respond, "going to school to be a physician."
she responded with, "i took a physics class and it seems like they know everything. So are you going to rediscover gravity or something?"
it was at this moment that i found i didn't really like her.
![]()
lol 🙂
My little brother (still in high school) introduced me to his girlfriend. She asked me what I am doing, and I respond, "going to school to be a physician."
She responded with, "I took a physics class and it seems like they know everything. So are you going to rediscover gravity or something?"
It was at this moment that I found I didn't really like her.
![]()
Pure quality.
D
deleted503015
Gratz on the Vandy acceptance. Your MDApps profile is living proof of all the advice I gave to Vandy applicants over the last two years. 🙂
Haha thanks! 😀 ...and how?
Haha thanks! 😀 ...and how?
Hah, LaPresse, would you mind forwarding that spiel via PM? I'm on my phone and it takes a minute to sift thru my PMs to find it even on the computer.
Peanutz, you'll see 😉
I forgot about this one. This guy was the total opposite of all those starry-eyed premeds applying to Harvard with a 3.0 and 28P:
Friend: I'm planning on applying to our state medical school, but most likely I'll end up going to the Caribbean.
Me: I don't think that's a good idea. Caribbean schools are expensive and the shortage of residencies means you might end up without a job after you graduate. You should do everything you can to get into a US school.
Friend: I know, but I don't think I have the grades anymore.
Me: Things probably aren't as bad as you think. What's your GPA?
Friend: That B I just got in Physics brought me down to a 3.89.
Typical SDN member
Reading this thread makes me remember how clueless I was in the years leading up to my application. (In my defense, I was a non-trad with a DIY post-bacc, so I didn't really have access to much by way of advising.) All things considered, I'm pretty lucky to have done as well as I did this season. I remember taking gen chem with someone at community college who was pre-med but only planning to apply in the Caribbean. I think my response was, "Oh, that's nice. Do you have family there?" 😳
Hah, LaPresse, would you mind forwarding that spiel via PM? I'm on my phone and it takes a minute to sift thru my PMs to find it even on the computer.
Peanutz, you'll see 😉
PM sent. 😉
Reading this thread makes me remember how clueless I was in the years leading up to my application. (In my defense, I was a non-trad with a DIY post-bacc, so I didn't really have access to much by way of advising.) All things considered, I'm pretty lucky to have done as well as I did this season. I remember taking gen chem with someone at community college who was pre-med but only planning to apply in the Caribbean. I think my response was, "Oh, that's nice. Do you have family there?" 😳
I don't think that sounds clueless at all. Sounds quite logical, actually. Why else apply there. 😀
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
PM sent. 😉
Much obliged! Peanutz, see what I mean?
This is long, but I thought it was pretty sad. Found on a Q&A website.
Resolved Question: what does it take to be a neurologist?
how long do i have to go to school? how hard s it? Does it ever get boring? what is the job like? hours? etc.
i want to know everything about becoming a neurologist and being a neurologist.
Best Answer
Well first you have to start with education.
A neurologist is a medical doctor so all you have to do is the standard for getting an MD
that starts with four years of college
in college you will take prerequisites that prepare you for the medical college admissions test (mcat)
1 year of biology with lab
1 year of chemistry with lab
1 year of physics with lab
1 year of organic chemistry with lab
these are required by every medical school in the country
in addition some schools may require calculus, genetics, anatomy and physiology, biochemistry, just check the admission website to a med school you plan to go to and they will inform you.
While taking these classes KEEP EVERYTHING
the course materials will help you study for the mcat which is leap #2 when becoming a doctor
you will take this test at the end of your junior year
it tests
physics
chemistry
verbal reasoning
and biology
the test is scored with a max of 15 points per section on the science parts for a total of 45 points
the verbal reasoning section just gets a letter (the higher the letter in the alphabet the higher the score)
the national average for the mcat is about a 30/45 = 10 on each section
This test is extremely important because if you do not make the score all of that endless studying in college means nothing
after you get finished with the mcat you are ready to apply to medical school (start this at the end of your sophomore year in college it will take a good year to really plan your application)
in the application you are applying to numerous medical schools at once through a service called amcas. Then the colleges receive your data and see if your grades and test scores are okay. if they do not they send a rejection letter if your grades are okay they send a secondary application so that you can tell them why you want to be a doctor and everything basically so they can set you apart from other applicants
If the review board likes your second application they will set up an interview with you.
The interview is usually an all day process where you tour the campus and university hospitals and then you have a formal session with 1 2 or 3 different people who will make the decision of whether or not to let you in
once they accept you classes will start the next fall in heavy science like histology gross anatomy medical ethics pharmacology
you will do these sciences for two years and then you take one of three medical licensing exams usmle step 1
then you will spend the next two years preparing for your residency doing clinicals
after clinicals you take the usmel step 2 and then you will be a resident in a specialty field (yours will be neuro)
this is where you spend 3-5 years learning everything about the medicine of neurology
oh and after the first year of that 3-5 you take the last of the boards the usmle step 3
the residency ranks are
pgy 12 3 and so on depending on specialty
residents are still considered students so they do not make anywhere near doctor salary. The government pays a stipend of about 40k per year depending on residency year
residency is hard. you work about 90 hours per week sometimes with a 40 hours shift ITS HARD
then you take a board certification in neurology where advanced mds will fire questions at you and you will have to answer correctly to pass the test (board certification is not required to practice)
as a neurologist after 8 years of school 200k in student loans and 5 years in residency you will not practice until you are about 31 - 32 (if you start on time)
then the hours you will work will vary on if you work at a hospital or privately or what have you. the good news is that you will be making about 400 thousand per year now
take out student loans and malpractice insurance and you still make great salary
Becoming any kind of doctor will be challenging. And when I say HARD I MEAN HARD. Be prepared to give your life to medicine because you have 2 options study every free second of the day or fail.
When you think you know something you read it again and again and again and again and again and again.
Its competitive but if it is in your heart you know it is and you can do it.
If you have more questions post more details....Best of luck to you in whatever you decide.
Resolved Question: what does it take to be a neurologist?
how long do i have to go to school? how hard s it? Does it ever get boring? what is the job like? hours? etc.
i want to know everything about becoming a neurologist and being a neurologist.
Best Answer
Well first you have to start with education.
A neurologist is a medical doctor so all you have to do is the standard for getting an MD
that starts with four years of college
in college you will take prerequisites that prepare you for the medical college admissions test (mcat)
1 year of biology with lab
1 year of chemistry with lab
1 year of physics with lab
1 year of organic chemistry with lab
these are required by every medical school in the country
in addition some schools may require calculus, genetics, anatomy and physiology, biochemistry, just check the admission website to a med school you plan to go to and they will inform you.
While taking these classes KEEP EVERYTHING
the course materials will help you study for the mcat which is leap #2 when becoming a doctor
you will take this test at the end of your junior year
it tests
physics
chemistry
verbal reasoning
and biology
the test is scored with a max of 15 points per section on the science parts for a total of 45 points
the verbal reasoning section just gets a letter (the higher the letter in the alphabet the higher the score)
the national average for the mcat is about a 30/45 = 10 on each section
This test is extremely important because if you do not make the score all of that endless studying in college means nothing
after you get finished with the mcat you are ready to apply to medical school (start this at the end of your sophomore year in college it will take a good year to really plan your application)
in the application you are applying to numerous medical schools at once through a service called amcas. Then the colleges receive your data and see if your grades and test scores are okay. if they do not they send a rejection letter if your grades are okay they send a secondary application so that you can tell them why you want to be a doctor and everything basically so they can set you apart from other applicants
If the review board likes your second application they will set up an interview with you.
The interview is usually an all day process where you tour the campus and university hospitals and then you have a formal session with 1 2 or 3 different people who will make the decision of whether or not to let you in
once they accept you classes will start the next fall in heavy science like histology gross anatomy medical ethics pharmacology
you will do these sciences for two years and then you take one of three medical licensing exams usmle step 1
then you will spend the next two years preparing for your residency doing clinicals
after clinicals you take the usmel step 2 and then you will be a resident in a specialty field (yours will be neuro)
this is where you spend 3-5 years learning everything about the medicine of neurology
oh and after the first year of that 3-5 you take the last of the boards the usmle step 3
the residency ranks are
pgy 12 3 and so on depending on specialty
residents are still considered students so they do not make anywhere near doctor salary. The government pays a stipend of about 40k per year depending on residency year
residency is hard. you work about 90 hours per week sometimes with a 40 hours shift ITS HARD
then you take a board certification in neurology where advanced mds will fire questions at you and you will have to answer correctly to pass the test (board certification is not required to practice)
as a neurologist after 8 years of school 200k in student loans and 5 years in residency you will not practice until you are about 31 - 32 (if you start on time)
then the hours you will work will vary on if you work at a hospital or privately or what have you. the good news is that you will be making about 400 thousand per year now
take out student loans and malpractice insurance and you still make great salary
Becoming any kind of doctor will be challenging. And when I say HARD I MEAN HARD. Be prepared to give your life to medicine because you have 2 options study every free second of the day or fail.
When you think you know something you read it again and again and again and again and again and again.
Its competitive but if it is in your heart you know it is and you can do it.
If you have more questions post more details....Best of luck to you in whatever you decide.
3 kids walking by my office, one of them says to the others "dude, when we're doctors, we're totally writing prescriptions for each other."
And I couldn't help but think:
https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRS1mUnasmhGP5lw3aHgPkTIRRBw26KmCH0shZexoVqsax9dcEa5A
And I couldn't help but think:
https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRS1mUnasmhGP5lw3aHgPkTIRRBw26KmCH0shZexoVqsax9dcEa5A
Why? Seems accurate to me for the most part. Not the full story, but a good general idea.
Why? Seems accurate to me for the most part. Not the full story, but a good general idea.
And most of the details were wrong. Verbal scoring is just a letter? So my score was letter 10? The general outline was sort of right.
And most of the details were wrong. Verbal scoring is just a letter? So my score was letter 10? The general outline was sort of right.
I skimmed but that is the only detail I see that is flat wrong. Some are only true for certain things or don't exactly convey the understanding I would shoot for, but otherwise it seems fine.
Edit: the apply after sophomore year thing is also a little off. You could, but summer after junior year is much more common.
I skimmed but that is the only detail I see that is flat wrong. Some are only true for certain things or don't exactly convey the understanding I would shoot for, but otherwise it seems fine.
Edit: the apply after sophomore year thing is also a little off. You could, but summer after junior year is much more common.
True, I wasn't impressed by the writing and stopped after the MCAT part. I mean, it told them to keep everything from classes! It also said anatomy is a requirement.
I just kept reading and it is more or less right.
I think the funny part is that the person took the time to give a rather detailed answer for someone who's rather clueless and unlikely going to be accepted anywhere
Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2
Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2
I think the funny part is that the person took the time to give a rather detailed answer for someone who's rather clueless and unlikely going to be accepted anywhere
Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2
👍 yeah lol. Could have summed that all up with 4 years of college, 4 years of medical school, and residency. Takes about 13 years of "schooling" total.
I sometimes wonder who these types are that ask questions on things like yahoo answers anyways. They apparently know how to work a computer, yet google seems to be foreign to them.
I sometimes wonder who these types are that ask questions on things like yahoo answers anyways. They apparently know how to work a computer, yet google seems to be foreign to them.
Hah, this could be said about 1/2 the threads on SDN...
So I have two stories:
Story #1: My mom works at a hair salon and all of her co-workers brag about how "successful" their kids are. My mom doesn't like to participate in this because she thinks that all their boasts about their kids are kinda BS.
Co-worker: So what is tmn5291 majoring in?
Mom: She's biochem at X school?
Co-worker: Oh that's nice. What are her career aspirations?
Mom: She doesn't know yet. She is researching about different careers though.
Receptionist (who is my age and goes to my school): OMG that's so cool! I'm a bio major! Maybe I will see her!!
a few months later
Co-worker: So how is tmn5291?
Mom: She is good. She is actually looking into pharmacy.
Receptionist: OMG I WANT TO BE A PHARMACIST TOO!
Mom: ... ok ...
many months later
Co-worker: So what is tmn5291 doing for the summer?
Mom: She is busy driving my son to band camp and tutoring and helping out my mother, but she is volunteering at a hospital because now she is considering medicine.
Receptionist: OMG I WANT TO BE A DOCTOR TOO! What hospital is your daughter volunteering at?
Mom: She volunteers at ABC hospital.
Receptionist: Oh that's far. It's ok, I don't really need to volunteer at a hospital.
Co-worker: Don't you need to have some volunteer experience at a hospital for med schools?
Receptionist: No I don't. I think that working at this hair salon is good enough. Anyways, I am the only smart person in my family so I have a chance to become a doctor and be more successful than my sisters.
Story #2: There was this girl in my gen chem class is very annoying. She rarely showed up for lecture (a lot of people didn't) and even slept through (and missed) one exam and came late to another (as in 10-15 minutes before the exam was over). She kept telling me that she wanted to be a "pharmacist, nurse, or doctor" and is "double-majoring in biochemistry and health science". One day, a friend, who was conducting interviews for a internship program at a hospital and ended up interviewing her.
Friend: So what are your career aspirations?
Girl (in the thick valley girl accent): I want to be a veterinarian.
Friend: You know that this is a hospital for people, right?
Girl: Yeah
Thank goodness, she wasn't accepted. It was her second time being rejected from the program, by the way.
Story #1: My mom works at a hair salon and all of her co-workers brag about how "successful" their kids are. My mom doesn't like to participate in this because she thinks that all their boasts about their kids are kinda BS.
Co-worker: So what is tmn5291 majoring in?
Mom: She's biochem at X school?
Co-worker: Oh that's nice. What are her career aspirations?
Mom: She doesn't know yet. She is researching about different careers though.
Receptionist (who is my age and goes to my school): OMG that's so cool! I'm a bio major! Maybe I will see her!!
a few months later
Co-worker: So how is tmn5291?
Mom: She is good. She is actually looking into pharmacy.
Receptionist: OMG I WANT TO BE A PHARMACIST TOO!
Mom: ... ok ...
many months later
Co-worker: So what is tmn5291 doing for the summer?
Mom: She is busy driving my son to band camp and tutoring and helping out my mother, but she is volunteering at a hospital because now she is considering medicine.
Receptionist: OMG I WANT TO BE A DOCTOR TOO! What hospital is your daughter volunteering at?
Mom: She volunteers at ABC hospital.
Receptionist: Oh that's far. It's ok, I don't really need to volunteer at a hospital.
Co-worker: Don't you need to have some volunteer experience at a hospital for med schools?
Receptionist: No I don't. I think that working at this hair salon is good enough. Anyways, I am the only smart person in my family so I have a chance to become a doctor and be more successful than my sisters.
Story #2: There was this girl in my gen chem class is very annoying. She rarely showed up for lecture (a lot of people didn't) and even slept through (and missed) one exam and came late to another (as in 10-15 minutes before the exam was over). She kept telling me that she wanted to be a "pharmacist, nurse, or doctor" and is "double-majoring in biochemistry and health science". One day, a friend, who was conducting interviews for a internship program at a hospital and ended up interviewing her.
Friend: So what are your career aspirations?
Girl (in the thick valley girl accent): I want to be a veterinarian.
Friend: You know that this is a hospital for people, right?
Girl: Yeah
Thank goodness, she wasn't accepted. It was her second time being rejected from the program, by the way.
Not from a pre-med, but hilarious primarily because it came from a mental illness advocacy blog:
"Mental health care is very diverse...There are culturally specific mental health interventions practiced by countless people across the US, from licensed psychotherapists to spiritual counselors. Mental healthcare interventions ranges from ECT to community drum circles."
Good luck getting an insurer to reimburse you for that! 🙄
"Mental health care is very diverse...There are culturally specific mental health interventions practiced by countless people across the US, from licensed psychotherapists to spiritual counselors. Mental healthcare interventions ranges from ECT to community drum circles."
Good luck getting an insurer to reimburse you for that! 🙄
4
487806
Who would have figured that this came from Yahoo Answers? 🙄
This is long, but I thought it was pretty sad. Found on a Q&A website.
Resolved Question: what does it take to be a neurologist?
how long do i have to go to school? how hard s it? Does it ever get boring? what is the job like? hours? etc.
i want to know everything about becoming a neurologist and being a neurologist.
Best Answer
Well first you have to start with education.
A neurologist is a medical doctor so all you have to do is the standard for getting an MD
that starts with four years of college
in college you will take prerequisites that prepare you for the medical college admissions test (mcat)
1 year of biology with lab
1 year of chemistry with lab
1 year of physics with lab
1 year of organic chemistry with lab
these are required by every medical school in the country
in addition some schools may require calculus, genetics, anatomy and physiology, biochemistry, just check the admission website to a med school you plan to go to and they will inform you.
While taking these classes KEEP EVERYTHING
the course materials will help you study for the mcat which is leap #2 when becoming a doctor
you will take this test at the end of your junior year
it tests
physics
chemistry
verbal reasoning
and biology
the test is scored with a max of 15 points per section on the science parts for a total of 45 points
the verbal reasoning section just gets a letter (the higher the letter in the alphabet the higher the score)
the national average for the mcat is about a 30/45 = 10 on each section
This test is extremely important because if you do not make the score all of that endless studying in college means nothing
after you get finished with the mcat you are ready to apply to medical school (start this at the end of your sophomore year in college it will take a good year to really plan your application)
in the application you are applying to numerous medical schools at once through a service called amcas. Then the colleges receive your data and see if your grades and test scores are okay. if they do not they send a rejection letter if your grades are okay they send a secondary application so that you can tell them why you want to be a doctor and everything basically so they can set you apart from other applicants
If the review board likes your second application they will set up an interview with you.
The interview is usually an all day process where you tour the campus and university hospitals and then you have a formal session with 1 2 or 3 different people who will make the decision of whether or not to let you in
once they accept you classes will start the next fall in heavy science like histology gross anatomy medical ethics pharmacology
you will do these sciences for two years and then you take one of three medical licensing exams usmle step 1
then you will spend the next two years preparing for your residency doing clinicals
after clinicals you take the usmel step 2 and then you will be a resident in a specialty field (yours will be neuro)
this is where you spend 3-5 years learning everything about the medicine of neurology
oh and after the first year of that 3-5 you take the last of the boards the usmle step 3
the residency ranks are
pgy 12 3 and so on depending on specialty
residents are still considered students so they do not make anywhere near doctor salary. The government pays a stipend of about 40k per year depending on residency year
residency is hard. you work about 90 hours per week sometimes with a 40 hours shift ITS HARD
then you take a board certification in neurology where advanced mds will fire questions at you and you will have to answer correctly to pass the test (board certification is not required to practice)
as a neurologist after 8 years of school 200k in student loans and 5 years in residency you will not practice until you are about 31 - 32 (if you start on time)
then the hours you will work will vary on if you work at a hospital or privately or what have you. the good news is that you will be making about 400 thousand per year now
take out student loans and malpractice insurance and you still make great salary
Becoming any kind of doctor will be challenging. And when I say HARD I MEAN HARD. Be prepared to give your life to medicine because you have 2 options study every free second of the day or fail.
When you think you know something you read it again and again and again and again and again and again.
Its competitive but if it is in your heart you know it is and you can do it.
If you have more questions post more details....Best of luck to you in whatever you decide.
Yup, that's where I saw it.
I shared it because there's a lot more wrong with it than just saying that verbal is a letter score or that you should apply during junior year.
It says the national average MCAT is a 30. Not exactly sure what he meant by national average, but that's not exactly right.
It says nothing of any EC's, which are essential to getting into a school.
It says nothing about how you actually get into a residency program or how competitive that can be.
The application/interview process is a little skewed, and it talks nothing about your PS.
Yeah, I'm probably being overly sensitive to the inaccuracies. Just thought it was kind of funny. When people look to sources like this for info on med school it's no wonder that so many are confused.
Yup, that's where I saw it.
I shared it because there's a lot more wrong with it than just saying that verbal is a letter score or that you should apply during junior year.
It says the national average MCAT is a 30. Not exactly sure what he meant by national average, but that's not exactly right.
It says nothing of any EC's, which are essential to getting into a school.
It says nothing about how you actually get into a residency program or how competitive that can be.
The application/interview process is a little skewed, and it talks nothing about your PS.
Yeah, I'm probably being overly sensitive to the inaccuracies. Just thought it was kind of funny. When people look to sources like this for info on med school it's no wonder that so many are confused.
No kidding. I was reading the comments from a HuffPo article about med school rankings the other day, naturally people posting about how Vanderbilt and UPenn aren't regarded as good med schools. 😛
I don't get it. If you don't know what you're talking about and you're just going to make stuff up on the internet, can't you provide a disclaimer or something?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
No kidding. I was reading the comments from a HuffPo article about med school rankings the other day, naturally people posting about how Vanderbilt and UPenn aren't regarded as good med schools. 😛
I don't get it. If you don't know what you're talking about and you're just going to make stuff up on the internet, can't you provide a disclaimer or something?
That's the problem - they genuinely think they know what they're talking about. In their eyes, it's everybody else who needs to provide the disclaimer.
4
487806
Yup, that's where I saw it.
I shared it because there's a lot more wrong with it than just saying that verbal is a letter score or that you should apply during junior year.
It says the national average MCAT is a 30. Not exactly sure what he meant by national average, but that's not exactly right.
It says nothing of any EC's, which are essential to getting into a school.
It says nothing about how you actually get into a residency program or how competitive that can be.
The application/interview process is a little skewed, and it talks nothing about your PS.
Yeah, I'm probably being overly sensitive to the inaccuracies. Just thought it was kind of funny. When people look to sources like this for info on med school it's no wonder that so many are confused.
People who answer questions on Yahoo answers (which is infested with trolls and people who write walls of text) remind me of Yahoo commenters in political news articles... they have no idea what they are talking about, but love to show off their ignorance. They suffer from a psychological condition
This is sooooo trueHah, this could be said about 1/2 the threads on SDN...
👍Yup, that's where I saw it.
I shared it because there's a lot more wrong with it than just saying that verbal is a letter score or that you should apply during junior year.
It says the national average MCAT is a 30. Not exactly sure what he meant by national average, but that's not exactly right.
It says nothing of any EC's, which are essential to getting into a school.
It says nothing about how you actually get into a residency program or how competitive that can be.
The application/interview process is a little skewed, and it talks nothing about your PS.
Yeah, I'm probably being overly sensitive to the inaccuracies. Just thought it was kind of funny. When people look to sources like this for info on med school it's no wonder that so many are confused.
~30 was the average matriculant score from a couple years back. It is still pretty close

I suppose the EC thing is true, but it is less of an absolute requirement in the pathway. I dunno.... I think we some times take for granted how much information (good and bad) we have here at SDN. For some random schmoe responding to some random schmoette, I think it gets a passing grade.
I think I may start a new thing where I go to yahoo answers unanswered stuff and just spam LMGTFY links to every question 🙂
4
487806
This is sooooo true👍
~30 was the average matriculant score from a couple years back. It is still pretty close
I suppose the EC thing is true, but it is less of an absolute requirement in the pathway. I dunno.... I think we some times take for granted how much information (good and bad) we have here at SDN. For some random schmoe responding to some random schmoette, I think it gets a passing grade.
I think I may start a new thing where I go to yahoo answers unanswered stuff and just spam LMGTFY links to every question 🙂
People who answer questions on Yahoo answers (which is infested with trolls and people who write walls of text) remind me of Yahoo commenters in political news articles... they have no idea what they are talking about, but love to show off their ignorance. They suffer from a psychological condition
😱
You just gave a name to the argument I make in nearly every mid-level expansion thread. THANK YOU! I'm always sure there is some fancy term for many of the arguments I make on things but have no idea how to go about finding them. I suppose yahoo answers 😀 or google "that thing where [paragraph description]".
Will definitely use in the future.
- Status
- Not open for further replies.
Similar threads
- Replies
- 4
- Views
- 1K