Funny quotes from "less informed" premeds

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Some schools have a pre-med major. I cannot believe someone would be so ignorant as to not know that.

*creeps slowly out from under bridge, careful to avoid direct sunlight*

ImageUploadedBySDN Mobile1360386491.858801.jpg

I've never heard of a pre-med major... Only a pre-med or pre-professional emphasis. Have I been ignorant this whole time?
 
Even if there is a pre-med major, that doesn't negate the false claim of being a pre-med major that students at an uncountable number of other schools with no distinct pre-med major/degree make. Slight run-on. I Sry..
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
As an anthropology major who gets asked on a regular basis why I'm taking bio or physics or calc, I have definitely said "I'm premed" for the sake of simplicity. I used to try to explain that it was a pre req I was taking to apply to med school blah blah blah, then I realized that the only people who actually care if you say "im premed" are a selective group of tools on SDN.
 
The idea I think that annoys a lot of people is that some students seem to say it as if it's an accomplishment to be applauded in and of itself.

Personally, when asked what my major is, I say psychology, and if the question of why I'm taking cancer cell biology or molecular genetics comes up, I'll then say that it's because I'm also "pre-med". But still, notice how that's different than saying I'm a "pre-med major", and how highlighting medical school aspirations at the forefront can often be, if only mistaken as, a prideful claim.
 
The idea I think that annoys a lot of people is that some students seem to say it as if it's an accomplishment to be applauded in and of itself.

Personally, when asked what my major is, I say psychology, and if the question of why I'm taking cancer cell biology or molecular genetics comes up, I'll then say that it's because I'm also "pre-med". But still, notice how that's different than saying I'm a "pre-med major", and how highlighting medical school aspirations at the forefront can often be, if only mistaken as, a prideful claim.

This. The lack of any alternative career options with a "premed" major is presumptuous (and probably foolish considering acceptance rates), this is why it's annoying.
 
Some schools have a pre-med major. I cannot believe someone would be so ignorant as to not know that.

*creeps slowly out from under bridge, careful to avoid direct sunlight*

it is actually incredibly rare. And not really well tenured in any way. Essentially a science heavy independent study major (i.e. doesn't mean crap, and at about 3 colleges total give or take).

Most schools have science majors and will have pre-med requirements to help students check off all of their pre-med boxes. and by most I mean essentially all. I cannot believe someone would be so ignorant as to not know that. 🙄
 
Some schools have a pre-med major. I cannot believe someone would be so ignorant as to not know that.

*creeps slowly out from under bridge, careful to avoid direct sunlight*


Very few schools...like maybe 5 or less.

It's highly unlikely that all these students claiming to be "premed majors" are all attending those very few schools.

.
 
Very few schools...like maybe 5 or less.

It's highly unlikely that all these students claiming to be "premed majors" are all attending those very few schools.

.

Maybe I'm the only person who read "The Three Billy Goats Gruff" as a child...

Clearly my sarcasm and reference to a certain mythical creature was not picked up on.
 
Reading your response to my post with your signature about sarcasm prominently displayed just made my day. :laugh: Oh the irony...

I don't always troll...but when I do I tell people I'm doing it and get away with it anyway. 😎

Yeah yeah yeah 😳

Sent from my DROID RAZR using SDN Mobile
 
I get why it may sound dumb to people, but I can understand where some people are coming from when they say that.

Like for example, I'm not a science major, I majored in something in college that has very little to do with medicine at first glance.

So when people ask me what I'm studying, if I just tell them my major then they would ask, what I want to do with that degree. And when I say I want to go into medicine, then their completely thrown off. Then I have to explain that you don't have to be a science major and it just gets annoying, especially when it's small talk with someone you'll likely never see again.

So their were times I just said, "I'm pre-med." It just made my life easier lol

I do the same thing

Sent from my SCH-I405 using SDN Mobile
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
The idea I think that annoys a lot of people is that some students seem to say it as if it's an accomplishment to be applauded in and of itself.

Personally, when asked what my major is, I say psychology, and if the question of why I'm taking cancer cell biology or molecular genetics comes up, I'll then say that it's because I'm also "pre-med". But still, notice how that's different than saying I'm a "pre-med major", and how highlighting medical school aspirations at the forefront can often be, if only mistaken as, a prideful claim.

I would identify as "pre-med" when it was appropriate (i.e. pertinent to the convo). But never call it my major. I just always found it incredibly pretentious. I knew a guy freshman year who self identified as a "pre med major" every chance he got. I believe he is currently in sales....
 
I have been fairly indecisive about what I'm majoring in and I've changed my mind a lot, so when I thought I was going to major in English and people asked, I would say, "English, but I'm hoping to go to medical school, so I'm taking pre-med classes too," because I feel like pre-med defines me more than an unrelated major. When I was planning on biochem, I wouldn't add that part because it is kind of assumed at my school that biochem and biology = pre-health. I feel like this differentiation is acceptable and makes sense...
 
I would identify as "pre-med" when it was appropriate (i.e. pertinent to the convo). But never call it my major. I just always found it incredibly pretentious. I knew a guy freshman year who self identified as a "pre med major" every chance he got. I believe he is currently in sales....

👍😀👍😀👍😀👍
 
My issue with "those people" has more to do with how loud and how often they say it rather than how they say it. I think the multitudes of arrogant freshmen that go around claiming to be pre-med has cheapened the claim to the point that in my eyes it now means: "I'm going flunk a few science classes then get a business degree."

Also, when someone responds to a pre-med claimant with (as is the usual in my experience), "You'll be a great doctor!" rather than, "Good luck!" it only adds to the problem by increasing presumptuousness and belittling the difficulty of admission.

I always avoided calling myself pre-med like the plague, because I didn't want to be associated with arrogant ignoramuses.

P.S.-- I propose we start calling those accepted, but not yet matriculated: "post-pre-med." If I have to identify myself as pre-med one more time I'm going to have an arachnoleptic fit. 😀
 
My issue with "those people" has more to do with how loud and how often they say it rather than how they say it. I think the multitudes of arrogant freshmen that go around claiming to be pre-med has cheapened the claim to the point that in my eyes it now means: "I'm going flunk a few science classes then get a business degree."

Also, when someone responds to a pre-med claimant with (as is the usual in my experience), "You'll be a great doctor!" rather than, "Good luck!" it only adds to the problem by increasing presumptuousness and belittling the difficulty of admission.

I always avoided calling myself pre-med like the plague, because I didn't want to be associated with arrogant ignoramuses.

P.S.-- I propose we start calling those accepted, but not yet matriculated: "post-pre-med." If I have to identify myself as pre-med one more time I'm going to have an arachnoleptic fit. 😀

The generally used term for such individuals is MS0 or M0.
 
Accepted pre-meds are still pre-meds though. :shrug:

👍

What I find annoying is accepted people changing their status to Medical Student. I know it's not that big of a deal and in a couple of months it's true, but it still annoys me.

Sent from my Galaxy S2
 
I mean, if someone asked me, "Are you premed?" and I had already been accepted, I would say yes. If they then asked, "Oh, have you applied yet?" I would say "Yeah, I've been accepted to ______."

I would say "kind of, I start med school in the fall"

Sent from my Galaxy S2
 
I go with MS0 online, in person I say I start med school in the fall.

The other day talking with a Chem major:
Me: so what's ur end career goal?
Them: I'm going to medical school to be a dermatologist.
Me: way to gun.
Them: don't u mean way to go?
Me no, way to gun. (Changes subject)
Obviously I was annoyed by them.
 
I mean, if someone asked me, "Are you premed?" and I had already been accepted, I would say yes. If they then asked, "Oh, have you applied yet?" I would say "Yeah, I've been accepted to ______."

:shrug: I feel that when someone asks whether I'm a premed, it somewhat implies that I'm aspiring to go to med school, but not in that stage (i.e. applying, accepted). I take the neutral approach and say no.
 
Is there a such thing as a grammar troll?

http://theoatmeal.com/comics/ie

Not a habit I intend to make, however.

Back on topic, if an accepted pre-med told me they were a med student, even if they are to matriculate in a mere matter of months, I'd be appalled beyond my normal in-public passive silence.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
The generally used term for such individuals is MS0 or M0.

This is way better than "post-pre-med," which actually doesn't make any sense since it negates itself and comes out to just "med," which also isn't strictly true.

I retract my motion and move to endorse MS0. 👍

Please excuse my ignorance. I'm still surrounded by pre-meds, and ignorance is quite virulent. 😳
 
I mean, if someone asked me, "Are you premed?" and I had already been accepted, I would say yes. If they then asked, "Oh, have you applied yet?" I would say "Yeah, I've been accepted to ______."

why would anyone ask you "are you premed" unless they already knew you in some form? In which case, why wouldnt you simply respond that you have been accepted to and plan on attending medical school?
 
Is there a such thing as a grammar troll?

http://theoatmeal.com/comics/ie

Not a habit I intend to make, however.

Back on topic, if an accepted pre-med told me they were a med student, even if they are to matriculate in a mere matter of months, I'd be appalled beyond my normal in-public passive silence.

I met an M0 who introduced himself to other applicants as a med student. Would've smacked him, but that would be unprofessional...
 
I think the MS0 thing is stupid. You're a premed, period.

What are you going to be between M4 and PGY1? PGY0? Please.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using SDN Mobile
 
It's crazy for someone with a med school acceptance to begin calling themselves a "med student." That would mean that the high school seniors with acceptances would immediately start calling themselves, "college students".
 
It's crazy for someone with a med school acceptance to begin calling themselves a "med student." That would mean that the high school seniors with acceptances would immediately start calling themselves, "college students".

I guess it's akin to radiology techs calling themselves radiologists.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using SDN Mobile
 
It's crazy for someone with a med school acceptance to begin calling themselves a "med student." That would mean that the high school seniors with acceptances would immediately start calling themselves, "college students".

I agree. I liken it to an engaged person saying that they are married.

Sent from my Galaxy S2
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I met an M0 who introduced himself to other applicants as a med student. Would've smacked him, but that would be unprofessional...

Myuu returns!!! :clap::soexcited::clap:

I think the MS0 thing is stupid. You're a premed, period.

What are you going to be between M4 and PGY1? PGY0? Please.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using SDN Mobile

Nope. Once you're in, you're not a premed anymore. Just a future med student.
 
I guess it's akin to radiology techs calling themselves radiologists.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using SDN Mobile

I know cna-s that call themselves nurses, and therapy assistants that say "physical therapist".......ugh
 
Status
Not open for further replies.