Funny quotes from "less informed" premeds

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
My ex took the MCAT cold & got a 36. He was accepted to university at age 10 though, so he was pretty special.

I hope you didn't start dating in university.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using SDN Mobile
 
Echinacea is actually equally as effective as the leading pharmaceutical in combating stupid.

BOOM!

That was the sound of your argument falling to pieces. You sir, have just been served. Would you like some silvadene for that burn?

...or should I say calendula tincture and honey?

I guess it's always good to have Knuckles on your side 😀
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I hope you didn't start dating in university.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using SDN Mobile

Hah we did 🙂 But he didn't actually go to college till he was 17. His parents decided they wanted him to have a childhood or something crazy like that.
 
Hah we did 🙂 But he didn't actually go to college till he was 17. His parents decided they wanted him to have a childhood or something crazy like that.

Pfft! Who needs a childhood when you have supreme bragging rights? 😉
 
1363489.jpg

it gets lonely on the interwebz :shrug:

No, I was actually back from the bar and he said something in a thread that made me laugh so I felt compelled to let him know 😳




:naughty:
 
Pfft! Who needs a childhood when you have supreme bragging rights? 😉

Dude totally - if that was my kid, I'd be like "You'd best be graduating by 12y/o or else!"

He was captain of the rugby team, really good-looking, involved in his community.

If I knew how much better he was at life compared to me, I'd have just hated him from the start. But ofcourse, he was really modest too.

Perfect people make me sick. Anecdotally, he was Asian. So whatever you do, an Asian is out there doing it better.
 
it gets lonely on the interwebz :shrug:

No, I was actually back from the bar and he said something in a thread that made me laugh so I felt compelled to let him know 😳




:naughty:

I knew you were drunk. Made me feel all good about myself and then didn't call me the next day. Typical.

Dude totally - if that was my kid, I'd be like "You'd best be graduating by 12y/o or else!"

He was captain of the rugby team, really good-looking, involved in his community.

If I knew how much better he was at life compared to me, I'd have just hated him from the start. But ofcourse, he was really modest too.

Perfect people make me sick. Anecdotally, he was Asian. So whatever you do, an Asian is out there doing it better.


tumblr_m0qoox2Ref1qm37qco1_250.gif
 
I watched some of the questions and answers leading up to that point. The woman on the panel said something along the lines of:

When I see an applicant whose parents were both Ph.Ds, and that applicant only has a 3.5 GPA and 32 MCAT, "I hold it against them." They are underachievers in that demographic pool.

Is this woman for real? Right...because all of those kinematics lessons said applicant was receiving from her brilliant physicist daddy as an 8 year old should have contributed to an MCAT score of at least 38. What if mom and dad were cold and aloof, or completely disinterested in their child's academic progress? Sorry, but surround a kid with tons of money and smart family members, and you still can't call that "opportunity." For example, my father is a stone mason, and my mother cleans houses, but I succeeded because they were terrific parents and mentors. They instilled confidence in me. Opportunity does not necessarily correlate with demographics in terms of income or education! Foot in mouth on her part, big time.

Is there a thread for less-informed admissions staff?

I agree, sounds like an attitude I wouldn't want to be around in med school.
 
This was back in a summer class:

Me: what are you planning on doing after undergrad?

Her: I want to go to medical school

Me: Oh cool, have any in mind?

Her: I'm thinking about the Caribbean, I dont have the grades for schools here

Me: have you thought about DO schools?

Her: No, I want to go into surgery.

🙄 less competition when I apply. Thing is, she is a URM, so she will prolly get into an MD school. Thats just how the dice rolls sometimes.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
QQBV
Medical school is going to suck if I get a teacher like house


Not a quote but a premed in my genetics class had a white coat made and wore it to class and hospital volunteering.


Name . Pre-Med
College Name
Year of grad

thats like showing up to your little league game in a yankees uniform......
 
The dean of academic affairs at one of my interviews said that a student this year showed up to a clinical MMI scenario wearing a stethoscope...
 
This is a conversation I had today with a premed student that I tutor.


Me: So how did the MCAT practice test go?

Student: "It went really well actually. I was surprised. It was not as hard as I thought it would be."

Me: That is good. How did you do?

Student: Yeah, I am not quite as worried anymore... I got a 9.

Me: That is not too bad for your first time, what section did you get a 9 in?

Student: I got a 9 total...

Me: Oh...



Pretty amusing :laugh:
 
This is a conversation I had today with a premed student that I tutor.


Me: So how did the MCAT practice test go?

Student: "It went really well actually. I was surprised. It was not as hard as I thought it would be."

Me: That is good. How did you do?

Student: Yeah, I am not quite as worried anymore... I got a 9.

Me: That is not too bad for your first time, what section did you get a 9 in?

Student: I got a 9 total...

Me: Oh...



Pretty amusing :laugh:

The same scenario was reported earlier in the thread: As they say in the South, bless their sweet hearts! 🙁
 
I watched some of the questions and answers leading up to that point. The woman on the panel said something along the lines of:

When I see an applicant whose parents were both Ph.Ds, and that applicant only has a 3.5 GPA and 32 MCAT, "I hold it against them." They are underachievers in that demographic pool.

We'll I'm really ****ed.... 🙁

Sent from my SCH-I405 using SDN Mobile
 
This is a conversation I had today with a premed student that I tutor.


Me: So how did the MCAT practice test go?

Student: "It went really well actually. I was surprised. It was not as hard as I thought it would be."

Me: That is good. How did you do?

Student: Yeah, I am not quite as worried anymore... I got a 9.

Me: That is not too bad for your first time, what section did you get a 9 in?

Student: I got a 9 total...

Me: Oh...



Pretty amusing :laugh:


:laugh:

I don't know how you resisted not clarifying that that score is way too low for acceptance to virtually any med school without some unbelievably extenuating circumstances.

How does someone take the MCAT and get a 9 on it and also think that it wasn't as hard as he thought? I guess he thinks his "eeny meenie miney moe" method worked.
 
This was back in a summer class:

Me: what are you planning on doing after undergrad?

Her: I want to go to medical school

Me: Oh cool, have any in mind?

Her: I'm thinking about the Caribbean, I dont have the grades for schools here

Me: have you thought about DO schools?

Her: No, I want to go into surgery.

🙄 less competition when I apply. Thing is, she is a URM, so she will prolly get into an MD school. Thats just how the dice rolls sometimes.

Right, like they hand acceptance letters out outside of your dorm....this comment reminds me of the african-american dude from the book "the house of god"
 
Originally Posted by EarthtoneJon
I watched some of the questions and answers leading up to that point. The woman on the panel said something along the lines of:

When I see an applicant whose parents were both Ph.Ds, and that applicant only has a 3.5 GPA and 32 MCAT, "I hold it against them." They are underachievers in that demographic pool.

That may explain why one of my older friends didn't get any MD acceptances. His father is a surgeon, yet his stats were 30 MCAT and a 3.5 GPA. His only acceptance was to a DO school. I guess the MD Adcoms may have expected that the child of an MD should have better stats?

As an aside...Do you think Adcoms notice/care if you retake AP Bio and AP Chem credit classes in college? And if they notice, do you think that they are harsher on those who got less than an A in those classes (the assumption being that you should have known the material well-enough to get As in those classes? I realize that at some undergrads, you may not have a choice as AP credits may not be accepted at all.
 
It seems that it'd be damn hard to score that low even with effort toward the goal. 9!? Without ever covering the material in a classroom, I scored a 21 on aamc practice test 3. Mostly guesswork, but still..
 
That may explain why one of my older friends didn't get any MD acceptances. His father is a surgeon, yet his stats were 30 MCAT and a 3.5 GPA. His only acceptance was to a DO school. I guess the MD Adcoms may have expected that the child of an MD should have better stats?

I would hazard to guess that it's probably likely that the surgeon father didn't have greater than a 3.5 30 given the era that he would have gone to medschool.
 
I would hazard to guess that it's probably likely that the surgeon father didn't have greater than a 3.5 30 given the era that he would have gone to medschool.

Maybe, maybe not. I don't think the assumption is that the father would have had high stats and therefore the chld should as well. I think the assumption is that the child would likely have lived a privileged lifestyle, would have been exposed to more "intellectually stimulating conversations and experiences," and would have attended the better K-12 and undergrad schools.
 
This is a conversation I had today with a premed student that I tutor.


Me: So how did the MCAT practice test go?

Student: "It went really well actually. I was surprised. It was not as hard as I thought it would be."

Me: That is good. How did you do?

Student: Yeah, I am not quite as worried anymore... I got a 9.

Me: That is not too bad for your first time, what section did you get a 9 in?

Student: I got a 9 total...

Me: Oh...



Pretty amusing :laugh:

Tell him to apply to only Top 20s. He'll definitely get in.
 
Haha I've been lurking around on this forum long enough not to post in this thread.

Setting: I had just finished the MCAT for the first time (4/5). The PS section was a killer and everything else seemed like a blur. I was taking the stairs with another fellow test taker.

Me: Omg, what the **** was that?

Girl: Oh that was hard.

Me: Ridiculously hard.

Girl: Like, I mean there wasn't even any Physics on the test!

Me: 😕 What test did you take again?

Girl: The MCAT.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Haha I've been lurking around on this forum long enough not to post in this thread.

Setting: I had just finished the MCAT for the first time (4/5). The PS section was a killer and everything else seemed like a blur. I was taking the stairs with another fellow test taker.

Me: Omg, what the **** was that?

Girl: Oh that was hard.

Me: Ridiculously hard.

Girl: Like, I mean there wasn't even any Physics on the test!

Me: 😕 What test did you take again?

Girl: The MCAT.

You two could have had different test forms...
 
This is a conversation I had today with a premed student that I tutor.


Me: So how did the MCAT practice test go?

Student: "It went really well actually. I was surprised. It was not as hard as I thought it would be."

Me: That is good. How did you do?

Student: Yeah, I am not quite as worried anymore... I got a 9.

Me: That is not too bad for your first time, what section did you get a 9 in?

Student: I got a 9 total...

Me: Oh...



Pretty amusing :laugh:


I'm thinking that you get a 3 per section for just showing up.

And, she found that not be very hard at all.
 
That may explain why one of my older friends didn't get any MD acceptances. His father is a surgeon, yet his stats were 30 MCAT and a 3.5 GPA. His only acceptance was to a DO school. I guess the MD Adcoms may have expected that the child of an MD should have better stats?

As an aside...Do you think Adcoms notice/care if you retake AP Bio and AP Chem credit classes in college? And if they notice, do you think that they are harsher on those who got less than an A in those classes (the assumption being that you should have known the material well-enough to get As in those classes? I realize that at some undergrads, you may not have a choice as AP credits may not be accepted at all.

Yup, and I don't care what anyone says, 30 and 3.5 are scores to be damn proud of. I don't care that everyone on SDN gets a 38 on their MCAT. Especially if you're someone like me, who went from a 25 to a 31 over the summer, you feel really good about breaking 30. And even if my dad were a surgeon, I'd still be damn proud of myself. I certainly won't be comparing myself to others in my "demographic pool." Let the adcoms be the statisticians.

About AP credits, I really don't know. I figure, if you've taken what is basically college level chemistry multiple times, that's an extra opportunity to do well, so maybe more is expected of you. But when I think about all the paperwork admissions people have to sift through, I sort of doubt that they want to delve so deeply into one candidate's transcript and nit-pick about AP credits.
 
This is a conversation I had today with a premed student that I tutor.


Me: So how did the MCAT practice test go?

Student: "It went really well actually. I was surprised. It was not as hard as I thought it would be."

Me: That is good. How did you do?

Student: Yeah, I am not quite as worried anymore... I got a 9.

Me: That is not too bad for your first time, what section did you get a 9 in?

Student: I got a 9 total...

Me: Oh...



Pretty amusing :laugh:

I hope you made that up because that's quite sad.
 
Premed- "i'm not applying DO because I look at my stats and abilities and frankly, I'm better than that"

Me "props to you on your confidence, I don't have the guts to risk my first year of application getting rejected because I didn't went MD only"

Premed "this is my third year applying"

Me "um...I ...um"
 
Premed- "i'm not applying DO because I look at my stats and abilities and frankly, I'm better than that"

Me "props to you on your confidence, I don't have the guts to risk my first year of application getting rejected because I didn't went MD only"

Premed "this is my third year applying"

Me "um...I ...um"

What a c_ _ _! 😱 Well, let him let his foolishness keep the way paved for serious applicants. Fine by me! 😀
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
can't count the number of times i've heard people say they were going to major in pre-med

I get why it may sound dumb to people, but I can understand where some people are coming from when they say that.

Like for example, I'm not a science major, I majored in something in college that has very little to do with medicine at first glance.

So when people ask me what I'm studying, if I just tell them my major then they would ask, what I want to do with that degree. And when I say I want to go into medicine, then their completely thrown off. Then I have to explain that you don't have to be a science major and it just gets annoying, especially when it's small talk with someone you'll likely never see again.

So their were times I just said, "I'm pre-med." It just made my life easier lol
 
I get why it may sound dumb to people, but I can understand where some people are coming from when they say that.

Like for example, I'm not a science major, I majored in something in college that has very little to do with medicine at first glance.

So when people ask me what I'm studying, if I just tell them my major then they would ask, what I want to do with that degree. And when I say I want to go into medicine, then their completely thrown off. Then I have to explain that you don't have to be a science major and it just gets annoying, especially when it's small talk with someone you'll likely never see again.

So their were times I just said, "I'm pre-med." It just made my life easier lol

Saying "I'm pre-med" is different than saying "My major is pre-med" though. Lol
 
Some schools have a pre-med major. I cannot believe someone would be so ignorant as to not know that.

*creeps slowly out from under bridge, careful to avoid direct sunlight*

Arguable, but they are usually designated as biology majors with pre-professional "options."
 
Status
Not open for further replies.