Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
3)They don't work just as well as real meds.
What is a real med?
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
3)They don't work just as well as real meds.
What is a real med?
What is a real med?
3 problems
1) they dont work along side actual (not regular... "actual") doctors. They don't have hospital privileges and aren't even eligible for licensing in all but a handful of states.
2)You don't "prescribe" herbals. They are not scheduled, so they do not require a prescription.
3)They don't work just as well as real meds.
not to derail the thread, or support ND's....
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/St_John's_wort
As stated by another poster I don't support ND's, for a variety of reasons, but lets not throw out well researched babies with the hokus pocus bath water.
Specter is misinformed about herbals. Do a pubmed search.
I took a class during grad school about CAM. While I don't support the ND profession (various reasons), I do find value in some of the treatments. Mostly those supported by the literature.
I'm not trying to support ND's, but you're wrong on #2 and #3. MD's prescribe herbal supplements all the time. Hell, MD's prescribe tylenol and it doesn't require a prescription. I've been in the past prescribed mixes of ginseng, etc... that while technically didn't require a prescription sure kept me from trying to figure out each thing I was supposed to take
And non prescription supplements are real answers to real problems. Sure, there's not an herbal equivalent to a flu shot, but things like magnesium and vit D can solve a whole slew of problems. Don't need prescriptions for them, but MDs will prescribe them.
Disagree. Where do you think drugs are obtained?
Definition of PRESCRIPTION
1
a : the establishment of a claim of title to something under common law usually by use and enjoyment for a period fixed by statute No fixed period for herbals. Clearly, by definition, a prescription is not the piece of paper but the acquisition of right to own
b : the right or title acquired under common law by such possession Once again, possession of the script conveying the right to such items
2
: the process of making claim to something by long use and enjoyment an "Rx" for herbals in no way makes a legal claim. It is simply a recommendation at this point
3
: the action of laying down authoritative rules or directions need I continue?
4
a : a written direction for a therapeutic or corrective agent; specifically : one for the preparation and use of a medicine
b : a prescribed medicine
c : something (as a recommendation) resembling a doctor's prescription <prescriptions for economic recovery> and, alas, the layman usage befitting the "Self...." monologue from earlier. We aren't laymen, and we don't misuse the terms the way they do![]()
5
a : ancient or long continued custom
b : a claim founded upon ancient custom or long continued use
6
: something prescribed as a rule
More funny things heard from premeds please.
Don't they call these folks, "witch doctors" in other parts of the world.
![]()
![]()
pretty much anything that is overheard at an AMSA meeting
I agree...I overheard someone trashing SDN. Why do SDners have such a bad reputation? I find this very interesting 🙂
I overheard someone trashing SDN. Why do SDners have such a bad reputation? I find this very interesting 🙂
I'm not trying to support ND's, but you're wrong on #2 and #3. MD's prescribe herbal supplements all the time. Hell, MD's prescribe tylenol and it doesn't require a prescription. I've been in the past prescribed mixes of ginseng, etc... that while technically didn't require a prescription sure kept me from trying to figure out each thing I was supposed to take
And non prescription supplements are real answers to real problems. Sure, there's not an herbal equivalent to a flu shot, but things like magnesium and vit D can solve a whole slew of problems. Don't need prescriptions for them, but MDs will prescribe them.
and you're misinformed about what being misinformed means 👍
I will reference you away from your otherwise meaningless undergrad courses and towards the post I left that other poster with. As stated, my comment is 100% accurate and in no way implied I am not aware of herbal treatments, their uses, and their relative efficacy.
There is a med school in NYC that doesn't require the MCAT. I don't know of any others though.
I like how I don't even have to leave the thread anymore to provide material for the thread.
Noted..
And please rerread my post... It wasn't ugrad, it was grad... At my state's medical school. The prof was the M2 pharm prof. Hardly meaningless.
oh good lord.... I leave for a few minutes and the pre-meds come out of the woodwork to overextend some knowledge 🙄
2) you do NOT prescribe herbals. Even a recommendation written on an Rx pad is not a prescription. NDs also do not have prescriptive powers in all but a few states so whatever they do simply cannot be prescription any more than your plumber telling you that you need a new trap for your drain is a prescription. Herbals can be recommended. They are not prescribed. You've been told to get tylenol by a doctor. Because you are not a medical anything you thought to yourself "self, a doctor said this.... must be a prescription!" 🙄 Furthermore, NDs by and large run herbal pharmacies and act as herbalists in shops.
And, just in case you are still confused:
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/prescription
We can go here as well: https://www.google.com/search?q=pre...86,d.eWU&fp=cb92457a1274b65a&biw=1920&bih=995
again, the key idea being authorization. Nothing about an ND piece of scratch paper (or even an MD's for that matter) with "Garlic extract" written on it has any sort of authorization tied to it. None. You can all rest easy that you will not be brought down by the FDA for ordering a pizza.
3) for the third time (mostly because I thought it was only 1 noob that I needed to address.... so my bad) I know exactly where we get most pharma drugs, and have mentioned it multiple times in other threads arguing against naturalistic nutjobs who think that anything synthetic must be bad for you. Stating that pharma > herbals is in no way, shape, and/or form stating that there is zero efficacy so this is less of an issue of my understanding and more of an issue of your reading comprehension.
Shot down again. 🙁 even though I know I was wrong ahead of time, I tried to defeat you. No luck. You're good
I like herbs.
+1More funny things heard from premeds please.
Still meaningless in the context of you jumping the gun. And I've had that M2 herbal lecture as well. It's pretty meaningless outside of an understanding of what dried mower trimmings your patients may be taking that could interact with drugs you prescribe. St. John's is alright, although it can induce CYPs to some degree and may stack a little with benzos.
The take-home message is that there are often OTC and supplemental products that have properties similar to scheduled drugs. The scheduled one's are such because they are orders of magnitude more potent or effective and tend to have the potential for harm if not used properly. You can technically kill a deer with a BB gun. A rifled slug gun does a hell of a better job, though, even if it occasionally leaves you with a sore shoulder. Just like herbals and the scheduled drugs with which some properties they share, they really shouldn't be compared in terms of efficacy.
Sent from my DROID RAZR using SDN Mobile
Jumping the gun?
This was not a lecture, this was an entire course dedicated to CAM. Nothing like the lecture you described. You cannot attest to the meaningfulness of the class since you did not take it.
I recognize the benefits of synthetic drugs, and I understand the reason for scheduled drugs needing physician authorization. I never mentioned anything contradicting that. I simply suggested you do a pubmed search for different CAM therapies/treatments. They are not all hokum. Some of them have valid clinical trials that compare them to he current standard of care. I am not suggesting they replace current meds.
"
🙄You really struggle with reading, chief.
I never said anything to the effect that you do not acknowledge the efficacy of synthetic drugs. I was detailing why your suggestion to do a search was not only unwarranted, but demonstrated a severe inability to follow the discussion.
Here is the sequence of events, in case you forgot:
Specter: *responding to someone not you* NDs suck, and herbs do not work as well as pharmaceutical drugs.
Pre-medJoe: "ZOMG herbals work you are ig'nant!"
Specter: "I didn't say that herbals don't work. I said they don't work as well as pharmaceuticals and here is an analogy involving a furry woodland creature to explain what I mean"
Pre-medJoe: "ZOMG! I never said pharmaceuticals dont work! I'm a grad student! I took a non-medschool course taught by someone who gives likely 2 lectures tops to the med students!"
Specter (and likely many others):🙄
If that was still too rough, let me break it down. I know quite well which herbals have measurable effects and which ones are being spun in impact 0.8 journals as miracle cures. My statement concerning the post in question did nothing to demonstrate the opposite (careful now... this was the line of reasoning that somehow led you to believe I was suggesting you don't trust synthetics.... somehow). For as relevant as your request was to my actual statement, and not your interpretation of it, you might as well have told me to do a bing search on elephants because its true that some cheeses are made from llama milk (yes, your rationale was exactly that on point).
I think you've even been in the threads where I've told some whackjob that a good many of the drugs we use are either directly extracted from natural sources or synthesized versions of natural compounds. 😛 We can blame it on it being late 👍
*sigh* Ok. I'm not going to argue with you like the rest of the misinformed premeds on this site. It's obvious by your condescending tone that you have misunderstood what I have said. I will admit that I possibly misunderstood as well... I will reread what was written when I have more time.
). 👍Poop.I can't blame Specter. He nicely slaughters premeds with false notions (most of which happen to be ignorant and arrogant,). 👍
Poop.
And how did you beat my post count Agent B!? Booo!
😍
😍
Class threads.😍
😍
![]()
Was at a AAMC conference last year, and during a Q & A session open mic with a dean i heard this gem:
Pre-med Student: Whats the Difference between the MCAT and USMLE? And do you prefer one test over the other?
Crowd: WTF????
The dean was nice though and explained to the kid that you only take the MCAT and that you take USMLE when you are IN medical school.
Edit: Found a video link! The Q starts at the 17:54 mark https://www.aamc.org/students/download/326540/data/qa.mp4
I see you doin' your thing, Specter. 😉
And since you were so cool about it I am not even going to point out you using the wrong form of 'you're' right there.
I've almost completely given up on correcting those sorts of things. It's like washing laundry, but hopeless. Making the correction tends not to be likely to do any good, not even temporarily.
I don't know why, but today seems like it's gonna be a great daaaaaaaayyyy...
I usually just reserve it for times when someone is being a complete asshat and I need to do something to entertain myself or risk the stupid getting in and taking hold. It's contagious you know. I recommend echinacea if you are worried about exposure. 👍

I usually just reserve it for times when someone is being a complete asshat and I need to do something to entertain myself or risk the stupid getting in and taking hold. It's contagious you know. I recommend echinacea if you are worried about exposure. 👍
Echinacea is actually equally as effective as the leading pharmaceutical in combating stupid.
BOOM!
That was the sound of your argument falling to pieces. You sir, have just been served. Would you like some silvadene for that burn?
...or should I say calendula tincture and honey?
Edit: Found a video link! The Q starts at the 17:54 mark https://www.aamc.org/students/download/326540/data/qa.mp4
Echinacea is actually equally as effective as the leading pharmaceutical in combating stupid.
BOOM!
That was the sound of your argument falling to pieces. You sir, have just been served. Would you like some silvadene for that burn?
...or should I say calendula tincture and honey?
Is there a thread for less-informed pre-health advisors and staff?
Specter is a noob. This thread reminds me I need to reply to his pm though.
Sent from my SGH-T999 using SDN Mobile
I remember now I sent you a PM?
Sent from my DROID RAZR using SDN Mobile
At my MCAT two days ago:
Student 1: I mean, I haven't studied at all but I think I'll do well.
Student 2: Oh that's a good idea! Even if you don't do well, you don't have to send your scores when you apply.
Student 1: Yeah thats true. I'm sure I'll get a 35+ though.
😱
Yea you asked me for advice on finding a girlfriend
Sent from my SGH-T999 using SDN Mobile
Our mission is to provide students with free, unbiased information, resources, and advising for careers in the health professions. We believe every student deserves access to trustworthy guidance, regardless of background or ability to pay.