Future DVMs- C/O 2021!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Haha. I just realized that today is the day I originally wanted to submit. :laugh: Now I'm hoping for September 1st . . .

Haha, I had planned for this date last year and Sept 1st is when it actually happened. ;)

Members don't see this ad.

Where did my time go, you guys?!

I'm actually still on track to submit earlier than I did last year but I think I'll be submitting a week later than I originally planned on doing this year. I'm going to see my vet reference tomorrow because she wanted to see me again before she writes it. Have to check in with my third reference to make sure she's still on track. They're both supposed to submit by the 20th.

Personal statement... is in okay shape. It could be better. I'm not sure if it's too similar to last year or if I improved/changed enough.

And I have to run over the rest of the application just to make sure there aren't errors and that everything is to my liking. I'm going out of town this weekend though so that's why I'm thinking it might not be realistic to submit until next week.

How are the rest of you who haven't submitted yet coming along?

Sounds like you're doing great! And there's still plenty of time (though it'll go quickly), so deep breaths. :)
I just finished my diversity statement - thankfully - and have sent it out for revisions. Now I just have to go back and re-enter all of my experiences to include my new job, and then of course look over my application a hundred times to make sure everything is just right. Hopefully will be submitting tomorrow or Wednesday! Like a lot of other have said, today was my goal, but life just gets in the way sometimes. Good luck to everyone, whether you've submitted or not!

Members don't see this ad :)
One question, we can add more experiences right? I have two new ones I need to put on there, but I really don't want to re-write ALL the experiences again. Can I add and update them once I submit?

One question, we can add more experiences right? I have two new ones I need to put on there, but I really don't want to re-write ALL the experiences again. Can I add and update them once I submit?

You can add new experiences after submitting, but you can't edit existing ones, if I remember correctly. I just figured I'd put all mine in the correct order since I haven't submitted yet and I still have the opportunity.

If we submit can those who are writing our references still submit their evaluations?

Really wanted to submit my application today, but now I'm aiming for this Sunday or next Monday instead. :p I just have Illinois essay to finish tomorrow, and to go over my application for errors like a 100 times. It's ok to submit before our transcript is received right? My school doesn't start sending them until the 19th. :mad:

Just paid an exorbitant fee to VMCAS, done, done, done! Well with VMCAS anyway. Now I need to fill out all my supplemental apps :brb:

Reactions: 2 users
Really wanted to submit my application today, but now I'm aiming for this Sunday or next Monday instead. :p I just have Illinois essay to finish tomorrow, and to go over my application for errors like a 100 times. It's ok to submit before our transcript is received right? My school doesn't start sending them until the 19th. :mad:

Yeah you can submit, you just can't be verified until the transcript gets in

Just paid an exorbitant fee to VMCAS, done, done, done! Well with VMCAS anyway. Now I need to fill out all my supplemental apps :brb:

Congrats!

Welcome! Don't worry about missing anything, we love to have everyone that wants to be here. Best of luck on your application!
lol I've been here since the beginning of this thread and I honestly don't even think I've read all the pages
Welcome!! Love your avatar. :)

Thanks everyone :)

I'm pretty much set to go at this point: PS that I've been working on for months has been edited a thousand times and hacked down to just under character count, all achievements entered and reordered twice, pretty much all of my evaluations submitted. Seeing what others are posting, I'm just glad I don't have any supplemental essays for MS State and Davis, the 2 schools that I'm applying to! :p

All I have to do is add my hobbies, which I was initially on the fence about. I browsed a few more submissions on this thread and others and decided it might be a good idea to at least include the important ones. I have my awards for hobbies listed in achievements but I only have relevant (vet-related) extracurricular activities listed in experiences so far. Music and art were a big part of my life, so I will add those. Just hope I can figure out how to calculate the average hours per week/weeks total!? Anyone have any additional opinions on this that they want to share?

Where did my time go, you guys?!

I'm actually still on track to submit earlier than I did last year but I think I'll be submitting a week later than I originally planned on doing this year. I'm going to see my vet reference tomorrow because she wanted to see me again before she writes it. Have to check in with my third reference to make sure she's still on track. They're both supposed to submit by the 20th.

Personal statement... is in okay shape. It could be better. I'm not sure if it's too similar to last year or if I improved/changed enough.

And I have to run over the rest of the application just to make sure there aren't errors and that everything is to my liking. I'm going out of town this weekend though so that's why I'm thinking it might not be realistic to submit until next week.

Hoping to submit by the end of the week. Still don't have my personal statement totally to my liking. Also starting to get nervous about running out of time, in case something is wrong with my transcripts or something. Good luck with your application, sounds like its really coming together.

Reactions: 1 user

I'm *ALMOST* ready! I have my personal statement edited down and in its final form. I have 3 out of the 4 eLORs submitted, and hopefully the last one will be soon but I can submit now as long as the last one is in before sept 15th. I'm shadowing that vet tomorrow so hopefully I'll figure out where she is at with it.

I'm still waiting on one transcript to be processed for a summer course I took through okstate. Hopefully that will be done this week. I have drafts of all the additional questions needed for the vet schools and will hopefully sit down and finalize them this week and submit after that?

AH! I've gone over the app 100 looking for little mistakes. I fear I'll find something else the minute after I submit.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks everyone :)

I'm pretty much set to go at this point: PS that I've been working on for months has been edited a thousand times and hacked down to just under character count, all achievements entered and reordered twice, pretty much all of my evaluations submitted. Seeing what others are posting, I'm just glad I don't have any supplemental essays for MS State and Davis, the 2 schools that I'm applying to! :p

All I have to do is add my hobbies, which I was initially on the fence about. I browsed a few more submissions on this thread and others and decided it might be a good idea to at least include the important ones. I have my awards for hobbies listed in achievements but I only have relevant (vet-related) extracurricular activities listed in experiences so far. Music and art were a big part of my life, so I will add those. Just hope I can figure out how to calculate the average hours per week/weeks total!? Anyone have any additional opinions on this that they want to share?

Good for you! I had my personal statement at 4499 characters lol. I'm applying to UC Davis as well so hopefully we can be classmates!

I'm *ALMOST* ready! I have my personal statement edited down and in its final form. I have 3 out of the 4 eLORs submitted, and hopefully the last one will be soon but I can submit now as long as the last one is in before sept 15th. I'm shadowing that vet tomorrow so hopefully I'll figure out where she is at with it.

I'm still waiting on one transcript to be processed for a summer course I took through okstate. Hopefully that will be done this week. I have drafts of all the additional questions needed for the vet schools and will hopefully sit down and finalize them this week and submit after that?

AH! I've gone over the app 100 looking for little mistakes. I fear I'll find something else the minute after I submit.

I feel the exact same way. I'm scared to look back at it because if I find a typo I'm going to be sad, and I don't want to be sad. We should be proud of ourselves! Applying takes a lot of effort, so everyone who can manage it deserves some kind of prize... preferably chocolate. :p

Reactions: 1 users
Good for you! I had my personal statement at 4499 characters lol. I'm applying to UC Davis as well so hopefully we can be classmates!
My personal statement ended up at 4500 characters exactly. I don't know what to do with that kind of talent.

Reactions: 3 users

Haha! I think we should get brownie points for being this precise. That would be awesome! It's always nice to know you're not alone on your journey :)

Mine is at 3,637 and I feeeeeel like I've already made my point. Knowing me, it's probably terrible and all wrong but oh well. I kinda like it
I wrote and scrapped three entirely different personal statements before I finally felt it was an accurate representation of me. Don't doubt yourself. You've got this! You know you best.

Has anyone else submitted the main app yet? I still have a few supplementals, but my main app has been sent and is in the "Verifying" stage!

Has anyone else submitted the main app yet? I still have a few supplementals, but my main app has been sent and is in the "Verifying" stage!
I submitted mine Sunday night. Hopefully the verification stage isn't too lengthy.

Two weeks ago I randomly decided to take the GRE again the day before classes start (today). I just improved my score by 9 points and seriously can't believe it:eek:

Reactions: 9 users
Are all of your evaluations submitted already?
Yes, I didn't think I would have them all in by now though. I asked my vet reference the other day if she received the request and she finished up the surgery, went to her desk, and typed that puppy up. Haha! I love that lady. You?

Yes, I didn't think I would have them all in by now though. I asked my vet reference the other day if she received the request and she finished up the surgery, went to her desk, and typed that puppy up. Haha! I love that lady. You?

Lucky! I have 2 submitted, and 1 said they will submit in the next 2 days. Then I have 2 more who are planning on submitting in the next week or two. I just want the third one to submit already so that I have my peace of mind that I have 3 LORs! Which schools are you applying to?

I submitted my app but one one my transcripts was just sent out today so I'm waiting for materials. Luckily all my LORs have been submitted :).

I submitted on Friday July 29th and was verified by Monday the 1st!

I submitted on Friday July 29th and was verified by Monday the 1st!

Lucky! I keep checking my VMCAS hoping that it'll be verified soon. I guess it's only been 24 hours though :rolleyes:

Have all of everybody's GRE scores gone through? I requested mine about 2 weeks ago, and some of them were received the next day, but I haven't had any other statuses change to received since 8/5.

I submitted mine Sunday night. Hopefully the verification stage isn't too lengthy.

Let us know when you get verified!

If last year was any indication, the length of the verification stage increases as we get closer to the deadline because more people are submitting their applications and getting in line to be verified. So I'm sure all of us here would like to know what the current length is. ;)

If I submitted a summer transcript, should I wait for that to arrive before submitting?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Let us know when you get verified!

If last year was any indication, the length of the verification stage increases as we get closer to the deadline because more people are submitting their applications and getting in line to be verified. So I'm sure all of us here would like to know what the current length is. ;)
I'll do that! I have a friend who submitted hers sometime last week (Thursday?) and had it verified the next day. But I think there's significantly more "traffic" now. :laugh:

Lucky! I keep checking my VMCAS hoping that it'll be verified soon. I guess it's only been 24 hours though :rolleyes:

Have all of everybody's GRE scores gone through? I requested mine about 2 weeks ago, and some of them were received the next day, but I haven't had any other statuses change to received since 8/5.

I sent my GRE scores on the 27th I believe, and three have shown up on VMCAS.

So I check over my application for the millionth time, save my pdfs, enter my payment information, take several very deep breaths, and hit "submit." The little loading icon pops up, then... "An error has occurred!"

Despite the mini heart attack, I got everything resolved and finally submitted! :D I'll also post when mine gets verified to keep an up-to-date timeline with everyone else who's been verified.

Might be able to submit early. Just need to redo my Diversity Statement (really starting to hate this essay) and go over my PS a million more times... Started all my supplementals and say NC essays :eek:

I totally didn't know that you can submit to individual schools on VMCAS when you finish with all their individual stuff. I thought my essays I would have to put in for Florida would hold it up.. I wonder if I submit to only three out of the four if it would put it in the verification mode and I could get my transcripts verified.

Question for Missouri applicants. I am working on my supplement, how did you guys total up hours while not with a veterinarian? What did you include? Personal pets? What experience did you include?

Question for Missouri applicants. I am working on my supplement, how did you guys total up hours while not with a veterinarian? What did you include? Personal pets? What experience did you include?
I didn't include pets. All my non-veterinary hours are from the barns I worked in/shelter work/etc.

I didn't include pets. All my non-veterinary hours are from the barns I worked in/shelter work/etc.

Thanks. Would you including training sessions with your dog (under a trainer), or show experience?

Thanks. Would you including training sessions with your dog (under a trainer), or show experience?

I included all of my formal training and competition.

EDIT: Just saw your previous quote was specifically asking about Missouri's supplemental. I have no idea what that looks like... but I would imagine that formal training and competition is still relevant.

I would add your training and competition hours, just make sure you add it to the "How many hours experience (paid or unpaid) do you have working with this species/group while NOT observing a veterinarian?" blank of whichever section you are adding it to.

My PS is now enough words but it reads like I've stuck the paragraphs in random order... Time for some editing which is less intimidating than trying to continue to talk about myself on paper.

My main LOR wants me to apply to more than just one school and the more I look the more I just... don't know where. I should probably start the VMCAS app without knowing just to get it filled in. Considering that deadline is two weeks sooner than TMDSAS.

I submitted mine Sunday night, too! My transcript was verified yesterday (as well as my GPAs calculated). Now to wait.... .

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Just talked to the VMCAS people! Verification right now should only take 1-2 weeks if you have sent in your application in the last couple days!

Hey! I've been MIA for a little bit but after some time off of school I'm rejuvenated and refreshed and applying to vet schools this year. I wanted to start a thread for all of us applying.

I am really hoping to get the heck out of Athens so I've decided to apply to more than just UGA. I'm thinking UF, NCSU, Auburn, Mizzou, and Washington.

Where is everyone else applying?

Haha I just moved to Athens as a transfer student :cat:

Just submitted the application. Since I didn't want to re-do all my experiences, I added a new one that I recently started. However, it doesn't let you update the added experience as in the amount of hours. I haven't accumulated very many hours (12) but hopefully this won't hinder me in any way since I'll continue to get more hours.

Just submitted the application. Since I didn't want to re-do all my experiences, I added a new one that I recently started. However, it doesn't let you update the added experience as in the amount of hours. I haven't accumulated very many hours (12) but hopefully this won't hinder me in any way since I'll continue to get more hours.

I'm sure schools are understanding about that

I'm almost done with my application! So excited. I am essentially just making final adjustments. I was wondering iff anyone knew how to designate evaluations for schools. For example, I am applying to Missourri which allows all six, but Illinois only allows three. I don't see a way to chose which ones I send. I need to send my veterinarians and a professor. Do I have to call the school? Or is it a choice I make while checking out?

I'm almost done with my application! So excited. I am essentially just making final adjustments. I was wondering iff anyone knew how to designate evaluations for schools. For example, I am applying to Missourri which allows all six, but Illinois only allows three. I don't see a way to chose which ones I send. I need to send my veterinarians and a professor. Do I have to call the school? Or is it a choice I make while checking out?

Hopefully someone weighs in who has applied to Illinois before but in the meantime I would recommend calling the school and finding out how they handle letters when you submit more than three. There is not--as far as I know--a way to designate them within the main application though.

As far as I'm aware, Illinois will read more than three--three is just their minimum. I could be absolutely wrong though, that's just what I remember from my cycle and what I was able to pull off their website.There's been a lot of changes that happened with VMCAS and applications since I did it for the 2019 cycle. As far as I know, there was never any option to choose which letters were sent/read on the old Illinois supplemental.

There are a few current students over in the Illinois thread who answer questions periodically. Maybe somebody there could better answer your question. If not, the best idea is to call admissions before you submit. They'd be able to answer your question for sure.

Mississippi State only allows 3, and in their supplemental section of the VMCAS they ask which 3 you would like them to read. I don't know if Illinois does the same, but it may be similar. Just a thought!