Future ECs/Expected Hours on Secondary

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

anttino427

Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
So I believe my application looks good besides for my volunteering, which is on the low side. I have a 3.89, 520 MCAT, and 800+ hours of research, but my clinical volunteering is only at ~100 hours and my non-clinical is only about ~75 hours. I am going to continue volunteering in both of these categories this coming semester so

1) I would like to mention this in my secondaries (I am also doing it because I enjoy it, don't get me wrong). Is this a good idea? I know future commitments do not hold as much weight.
2) Also, should I go as far as including expected hours? I can easily double the amount of hours in both but this may come off as checking boxes. Any suggestions/advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!
1) Yes.

2) List the number of hours per week you plan to engage in each activity (and the anticipated or vague end date, if known.), but not the total expected hours. It happens to be the case that many premeds drop their volunteering after they get an acceptance. :whistle: So DON'T be definite if you aren't committed. If/when they get around to validating your activities, which usually happens after you matriculate, you don't want to look sketchy without a really, really good excuse-like you broke your leg or got mono.

If you've completed a decent number of hours since submitting your Primary application, then you can include the total hours completed since that time.

Did you enter future hours on the Primary? If so, sorta matching the end date is a good idea.

1. I actually surpassed my expected hours since submitting my primary (in reality, I completed 130 clinical hours but I did not expect to go passed 100 originally)
2. will be doing non-clinical stuff (Meals on Wheels) throughout at least this semester and then continuing hospital volunteering during my winter and summer breaks.
3. I agree with stating the weekly hours instead of the total expected hours, it definitely comes off a lot better.
1. Well done.

2. Sounds good.

3. :thumbup:

Reactions: 1 user