Future WW Games

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
giphy.gif

pat pat.gif

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
@CoffeeQuestionMark & @MixedAnimals77 : i’d really encourage you play at least another game first. If not 2-3. Just friendly advice.

In other news, on FB, I found a WW related post yesterday. So cute.

I agree with this advice. It doesn't hurt to start planning but it would be good to run after you'd played a few more. Gives you the opportunity to see some more mechanics things that you have questions about/play as multiple roles you haven't had

Reactions: 4 users
Agreeeeee

I tried to start designing/modding right after I started playing, and people encouraged me to play more first. I thought "psssh I know how this works, how hard can it be"...but I have a much better idea of game balance now after having played a lot, and it has also made me more creative with mechanics in ways that (I think?) will be fun and not game--breaking.

Plus, would strongly encourage you to read some games that get lots of accolades from players, like @Trilt's Rick and Morty game or some old games by DocE or STL.

Reactions: 2 users
One last note for new mods...a lot of people around here seem to enjoy a good old fashioned basics game from time to time, which are easier to balance and run because there are standard set ups available.

Speed games are also a good way to test out modding :)

Reactions: 6 users
On the subject of reading old games, do we think I can read @SummerTheLynx 's immuno game in preparation for my final in an hour? That's probably the same as studying, right?

My first time wolfing outside of a noob game (and right after my noob game too). It’s also the first time I got @WildZoo to eat her hat!

Members don't see this ad :)
Also, I know it's early but I'd like to claim a spot over the summer for WWheel of Time.

Will be a large game (~30ish roles); would like to get a full contingent of players & will probably need a couple of weeks to run it. Shooting for late July/early August, I think -- summer blockbuster style :cool:

Tagging my co-mods to see if that works for them, though I can commit to running the bulk of it.
@Mad Jack @LadyOtheFarm

I could conceive coming out of retirement for this. These were my Harry Potter. haha

@CoffeeQuestionMark & @MixedAnimals77 : i’d really encourage you play at least another game first. If not 2-3. Just friendly advice.

Personally was planning on this myself. IDK when coffee was planning on trying to run this. We didn't get that far last night.

Reactions: 1 users
I could conceive coming out of retirement for this. These were my Harry Potter. haha
People on here have read Wheel of Time? Nice! Also a fan of Terry Brooks’ Shannara and Terry Goodkind’s Sword off Truth. Dragonlance was good circa early 80’s, and more recently in the past couple of years I discovered Robin Hobb’s Farseer trilogies.

Would play...

Reactions: 3 users

I agree with this advice. It doesn't hurt to start planning but it would be good to run after you'd played a few more. Gives you the opportunity to see some more mechanics things that you have questions about/play as multiple roles you haven't had
Agreeeeee

I tried to start designing/modding right after I started playing, and people encouraged me to play more first. I thought "psssh I know how this works, how hard can it be"...but I have a much better idea of game balance now after having played a lot, and it has also made me more creative with mechanics in ways that (I think?) will be fun and not game--breaking.

Plus, would strongly encourage you to read some games that get lots of accolades from players, like @Trilt's Rick and Morty game or some old games by DocE or STL.
Thanks all (and Pippy TBH that totally sounds like me)
My thought was unless an experienced mod looks and says, yeah wow that's great, my plan was to wait 1-2 games :)

Reactions: 1 user
UPDATE:

I can run a speed game this evening if there is interest.

Looking for 12 players.

Like this post if you can play, and tag your friends; if there are enough players I'll create actual signups & game thread.

Would like to start at or before ~6:00 eastern, otherwise it will potentially run too late. But feel free to suggest some times
Merrrrrrp. I would like to as I've never done a speed WW, but I don't get out of lab meeting until 7:30pm. Might be able to sneak in some mobile texting at the beginning.

How long do they typically last?

Merrrrrrp. I would like to as I've never done a speed WW, but I don't get out of lab meeting until 7:30pm. Might be able to sneak in some mobile texting at the beginning.

Usually full cycles (day + night) are roughly an hour or so. But things move FAST in them (bc speed games)

Was planning for 45 minute cycles: 30 min day, 15 min night (discussion & contingency lynches allowed during night).

So probably looking at about 4-5 hours, although with this # of players could go up to about 6 hrs.

I'd be fine with you posting minimally the first couple cycles

This is me too :( I’ll be in a seminar class until ~7pm ET (+/- 15 minutes) but then I have another commitment an hour later. Next speed game though I really want to play! :)

Was planning for 45 minute cycles: 30 min day, 15 min night (discussion & contingency lynches allowed during night).

So probably looking at about 4-5 hours, although with this # of players could go up to about 6 hrs.

Wish I could but SO requested I chill out on WW for a bit as I get a little obsessed. Maybe next time!

Also for those who’ve read Wheel of Time, what’s it about and where’s a good place to start?
It is a fantasy epic similar to Lord of the Rings, and has some overlaps with other fantasy series like the Tortall books by Tamora Pierce.

Start with book one, which is called The Eye of the World.

The Wheel of Time - Wikipedia

:)

Also for those who’ve read Wheel of Time, what’s it about and where’s a good place to start?
Oh man.... Wheel of Time is a very descriptive high/epic fantasy series. Begins like they all do... main characters (follows a couple of characters around) are chilling in their nice little village. Evil stirs in the world. Mysterious good lady and her dreamy border shows up, everyone is confused, Trollocs attack the village, and the good guys have to flee.. and thus begins the quest! (That's all I can say/what is on the back cover). Start reading now and you may be able to get a couple of books in by the time the summer rolls around!

Book 1: The Eye of the World

Cool, then count me in if you get enough people for tonight.

UPDATE:

I can run a speed game this evening if there is interest.

Looking for 12 players.

Like this post if you can play, and tag your friends; if there are enough players I'll create actual signups & game thread.

I'm tempted but I should probably utilize my time to study parasites.

Ok.

Executive decision: converting this into a mini-speed game (reducing the number of players needed) and bumping the start time to 7pm.

Tabling bigger speed game for future use.

Stay tuned for sign up thread!

Agreeeeee

Yeah, I usually take notes about what I liked or would have changed about certain roles too, as it helps me with game planning in the future. I especially pay attention to things that I thought were done really well when I was in roles that I normally hate playing and try to think about how to recreate that experience when designing roles for games.

I think you also get a better feel for the types of roles that are entertaining for you as a mod but that piss you off as a player. Certain things are highly entertaining for you but need to be balanced with your players' experience and enjoyment.

I think you also get a better feel for the types of roles that are entertaining for you as a mod but that piss you off as a player. Certain things are highly entertaining for you but need to be balanced with your players' experience and enjoyment.
This is a HUGE thing that is hard to get a grasp on if you haven't played a variety of games with a variety of roles and modding styles

Yeah, I usually take notes about what I liked or would have changed about certain roles too, as it helps me with game planning in the future. I especially pay attention to things that I thought were done really well when I was in roles that I normally hate playing and try to think about how to recreate that experience when designing roles for games.

Interesting interesting. What would this look like-something vague or too restrictive perhaps?

Interesting interesting. What would this look like-something vague or too restrictive perhaps?
The classic example would be an extremely difficult posting restriction (for example, having a player write all of their posts without using the letter 'e'). Many players dislike posting restrictions from the get go (though other players, like myself, enjoy them), but the more difficult you make the posting restriction the more work and time you are asking a player to put in to your game for no extra benefit. I think it's important to be careful that the work you ask your players to do correlates with the payback they feel they receive from it, otherwise you are essentially telling some players that their contributions to the game are not as important because the cost to simply participate in the game is so high.

As I mentioned above, I actually quite like posting restriction roles, but understand that many players don't. For that reason when I have planned them to be in games I almost always make following the restriction optional, but will give the player something in exchange for following the restriction that scales with the level of effort they put in.

As an example, in the MMeat game I ran a few months ago I had planned to have a bacon player who would have had to mention bacon at least once a post in the game if they followed the restriction. To sweeten the pot I had planned to give them the ability to have the mods confirm their affiliation on thread once during the game if they followed the posting restriction to a reasonable degree during that day cycle. I had contemplated allowing other abilities in exchange for following the restriction but ended up scrapping the role before I ran the game based on how many people I had signed up to play. In this way the restriction can now be used as a strategy and players can engage with the role on a level that they enjoy, and the role feels less useless to them overall. Doing this can mess with balance a bit (since you are taking a role that was originally vanilla-lite and changing it to a role that may have bigger implications on village strategy), but I also think it's a bit more fun.

The classic example would be an extremely difficult posting restriction (for example, having a player write all of their posts without using the letter 'e'). Many players dislike posting restrictions from the get go (though other players, like myself, enjoy them), but the more difficult you make the posting restriction the more work and time you are asking a player to put in to your game for no extra benefit. I think it's important to be careful that the work you ask your players to do correlates with the payback they feel they receive from it, otherwise you are essentially telling some players that their contributions to the game are not as important because the cost to simply participate in the game is so high.

As I mentioned above, I actually quite like posting restriction roles, but understand that many players don't. For that reason when I have planned them to be in games I almost always make following the restriction optional, but will give the player something in exchange for following the restriction that scales with the level of effort they put in.

As an example, in the MMeat game I ran a few months ago I had planned to have a bacon player who would have had to mention bacon at least once a post in the game if they followed the restriction. To sweeten the pot I had planned to give them the ability to have the mods confirm their affiliation on thread once during the game if they followed the posting restriction to a reasonable degree during that day cycle. I had contemplated allowing other abilities in exchange for following the restriction but ended up scrapping the role before I ran the game based on how many people I had signed up to play. In this way the restriction can now be used as a strategy and players can engage with the role on a level that they enjoy, and the role feels less useless to them overall. Doing this can mess with balance a bit (since you are taking a role that was originally vanilla-lite and changing it to a role that may have bigger implications on village strategy), but I also think it's a bit more fun.
I thank you :D
That bacon role sounds like fun :woot: