GA-PCOM Class of 2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Little Bear said:
If you think the Army is giving you something for free, you are in for a rude awakening when you are in the Army full-time.

That's what the cheeky smiley face was for.

Members don't see this ad.

max831 said:
Are you on the army scholarship program? I am an entering first year at GA-PCOM and am interested in the army scholarship. What is the application process like? What is the real commitment and are the army residencies AOA approved? Any info you have would be appreciated. Thank you.

Howdy,

I'm more or less still clueless about life after HPSP, but I can tell you what I know.

The application process is much more drawn out than I expected. My first visit to the recruiter was the third week of December and I was commissioned on May 30. Expect about 5-6 months to complete the entire process.

Applying is a lot like applying to medical school. You have to submit transcripts, test scores, letters of recommendation, and have an interview with a medical officer depending upon which branch you select. You also get to spend a very long day at the infamous MEPS, where you will do many strange things such as pee in a cup with 7 other men while being watched by another man, and walking around like a duck in nothing but your unmentionables. Consider it a military right of passage.

After your package is completed and you pass the physical -- you are now required to have a cleared physical before submitting your package -- it is submitted to the selection board. A mysterious committee using an apparently ancient archaic calendar to schedule their meeting dates decides whom to select and whom to pass up. Most likely you will be selected, but I do know of people who were not.

Once you are selected, you get to wait around for your senate scroll to be approved. I was selected for the scholarship in early February, and my scroll came back in late May. I was commissioned just a few days after the scroll came back.

The process isn't too bad, just a lot of paperwork and a lot of waiting. Something future docs should probably get used to.

The "real" commitment is not 4 years or 1:1 payback for every year they pay for. It's actually 8 years, split between active duty and inactive reserve. Your active years are the longer of your school or residency.

As far as the AOA stuff, I have no idea. From what I have read, the military has some special loophole for the required Rotating year that some states required of their DOs.

I will write more later... gotta split

I applied for the Air Force HPSP the summer before I started at GA-PCOM. The recruiter was eager to get some recruits, so he worked hard to get me through all the paperwork, but it still took almost two months. I got the scholarship, but declined it - which is another drawn out process - I had to submit a handwriiten letter stating why I declined it...sheesh. I figured I'd have NelNet or Bank of America put my balls in a vice rather than the US military for 8 years - that's just me though.

Point is, expect to wait a while before the military gets it wheels rolling on your application. Try to get a hold of GA-PCOMs "military physicians" club, they'll be able to tell you a lot more. Call Angela at Student affairs - she'll put you in touch with the appropriate students (who are in the middle of Officer Training in San Antonio right now).

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey incoming class! I'm in the class of 2009 and my roommate and I are looking for a third to join us. He has a 3 BR townhouse less than a mile from school in a really safe neighborhood. We are looking for a guy or girl to fill the third spot who is willing to live with a guy AND girl. Rent is pretty cheap and our utilities are always low. You can give me a call at 229-522-0143 if you're interested (I probably won't be checking this site). Good luck and I'll see you all in August!

Anyone else excited and really antsy to get started?

max831 said:
Anyone else excited and really antsy to get started?
ummm yeah I kinda want to start right now...the longer the summer break the more I think about what's to come and the more terrified I get...especially after reading a thread about gross anatomy and what to expect :scared:

candyland said:
ummm yeah I kinda want to start right now...the longer the summer break the more I think about what's to come and the more terrified I get...especially after reading a thread about gross anatomy and what to expect :scared:
Really? What did you read? I cannot wait for gross anatomy.

Just a few tips regarding gross anatomy:

Get some good fitting googles because if you don't the smell from the bodies will burn your eyes(Googles provided in lab don't fit very well)

Get a good mask because you will get sick if you don't(I had an upper respiratory infection for days for not wearing one for the first week or two)

Get some good gloves to reduce the smell on your hands, but despite this one important measure you will swear up and down your hands still smell like the lab(double glove)...Gloves in bookstore are good

Get 5 sets of scrubs (not navy blue because that is the color the instructors wear)

Although, you will start on the back prepare yourself for the day you turn the bodies over and look at their faces and finally realize that they were alive at one time with families like you and I

Lastly, enjoy and learn as much as possible because after you finish you will have a good understanding of human anatomy

Good Luck,

Tiffany Sanders
GA-PCOM c/o 2009

Get some good shoes(crocs, or some others comfortable clogs), I got mine from that outdoors store in discover mills. Some people just wore old comfortable tennis shoes, so just as long as they are comfortable.

Bye

Nicola1926 said:
Get some good fitting googles because if you don't the smell from the bodies will burn your eyes(Googles provided in lab don't fit very well)

Get a good mask because you will get sick if you don't(I had an upper respiratory infection for days for not wearing one for the first week or two)

Is there any particular brand of the goggles and a mask you would suggest? Also, can you find them locally or would it better to purchase them online? Would you start buying some things in advanced or is it better to buy everything once classes start? Any other tips you may have would be appreciated. Thank you! :D

Erica

MKittyKat1983 said:
Is there any particular brand of the goggles and a mask you would suggest? Also, can you find them locally or would it better to purchase them online? Would you start buying some things in advanced or is it better to buy everything once classes start? Any other tips you may have would be appreciated. Thank you! :D

Erica

You should get the goggles with a band to go around your head so they fit snuggly on your face(Walmart). If they don't you will end up fogging them up with your breath and as mentioned before your eyes will be burning. Some people in our class purchased the masks with the filter in it. The lab has some extra masks like this if you are especially sensitive, but I would just buy my own if needed. Everything that I mentioned are things you are going to need whether you decide to buy the stuff now or later. Let me now if you have any more questions :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Are there any apartments in Suwanee that are less than $650/month?

drjds said:
Are there any apartments in Suwanee that are less than $650/month?

There aren't many apartments in suwanee. Don't forget to look in Duluth and Lawrenceville as well. The school is located where 3 cities come together.

pinkscrubs said:
There aren't many apartments in suwanee. Don't forget to look in Duluth and Lawrenceville as well. The school is located where 3 cities come together.

About how far is Lawrenceville driving-wise (with traffic)?

drjds said:
it depends where in Lawrenceville....for example the difference b/w Suwanee and Lawrenceville might literally be just one street....sugarloaf pkwy is very close to campus and there were some apartment complexes there yet it is considered lawrenceville...

I didn't find any apartments that were less than $650...in fact I didn't find any that were $650 and close to school...the best I came across was colonial grand on McGinnis Ferry Road (10 minutes from ga-pcom)

My wife and I will be staying at Aylesbury in Duluth. A bit further away, but she's the breadwinner for now so I gotta compromise :D

Regarding the scrubs, other than navy blue can we pretty much get whatever we want? Naturally, the only scrubs I have leftover from work are navy blue.

I presume we will be told about all of our books and such during orientation.

drjds said:

Most of lawrenceville is about 5 to 10 minutes away. I live at The Preserve at Legacy Park ($728 for a 2/2), and it takes me about 11-12 minutes to get to school in the morning, so I leave at about 8:50 am to get to a 9am class and just make it.

Duluth is a little bit farther from Suwanee, so you may need about 20 minutes or so. I still don't know where Suwanee ends and Lawrenceville begins, its all the same to me, and all the major roads are common as well.

I don't remember seeing any apartments (cheaper ones, anyway) in Suwanee - so if you're looking for an apartment, L/ville or Duluth is where to go. You can rent townhomes/houses in Suwanee though.

does anyone know the website we need to go to for the criminal background check?

thanks!

Don't stress about the scrub color thing. Dr. McW who will be running the lab is very cool and most likely won't care as long as you don't do it when a formal presentation or visitors are in town.

B-

HooahDOc said:
My wife and I will be staying at Aylesbury in Duluth. A bit further away, but she's the breadwinner for now so I gotta compromise :D

Regarding the scrubs, other than navy blue can we pretty much get whatever we want? Naturally, the only scrubs I have leftover from work are navy blue.

I presume we will be told about all of our books and such during orientation.

I have a bunch of questions, if anyone can help out that would be wonderful!

Has anyone finalized their financial aid? I received a packet with another application (specific to PCOM) Monday and it seems we have to fill this out before we get the letter. Has anyone received the actual letter, and if so, how long did it take?

I was also wondering if anyone received the health form to get signed by a physician?

Also wondering if we have a white coat ceremony and when it is.

Is it just me, or does anyone feel that GA-PCOM students don't get too much information? The people are nice, but the website isn't very informative and PCOM seems to put the Philly students first on most everything. Maybe it's different once we start?
Thanks!

GA Girl said:

Has anyone finalized their financial aid? I received a packet with another application (specific to PCOM) Monday and it seems we have to fill this out before we get the letter. Has anyone received the actual letter, and if so, how long did it take?

yes I filled out the PCOM application a long time ago and sent it in along w/ my parents' tax returns...which is maybe one reason why I received my award letter in like the end of May and perhaps why some of you haven't.

GA Girl said:
I was also wondering if anyone received the health form to get signed by a physician?

Is it just me, or does anyone feel that GA-PCOM students don't get too much information? The people are nice, but the website isn't very informative and PCOM seems to put the Philly students first on most everything. Maybe it's different once we start?
Thanks!
the health form was sent to us in a nucleus email as an attachment...and the white coat ceremony is in november (with the exact date TBA)...did you ever receive the big white binder which has detailed info about everything? I think I either got mine in the mail or during the new student orientation held in april... I can't remember but it is very helpful though!

GA Girl said:

Thanks!

I didnt know about the physical form until my future roommate found it somewhere on studentdoct. Just finished that today, if u need the form just shoot me ur email and ill send it 2 u.

The white coat ceremony is on 5th of november.

I finished my fafsa about a month ago and received my award letter about 2 and a half weeks afterwards and i jus sent my Fin aid pcom forms to the PA campus about a week ago. Also their were a bunch of other forms to be completed and sent to the PA campus so u might want them to fax that to u.

Here's a list of what is needed

* FAFSA (include your parents)
* Individual PCOM financial aid app
* Transcripts from all colleges attended (Due by 7/31)
* Health physical and forms
* PCOM student insurance due by 7/31 (If you use it, if not a waiver is required)
* Oath of Office for those on HPSP
* Direct Deposit form for overage money

I think that's it.

Call and verify that these items have been received after sending them

I always mail my important stuff USPS Priority Mail with Delivery Confirmation, so I can check online to see if and when they receive anything. Stuff that I do not or cannot send this method, such as transcripts, I call to verify they have been received. I used to work in undergraduate admissions and know first-hand that things can be lost, misfiled, or misplaced. It happens, so be johnny on the spot.

Now for my own question: how soon do you guys usually receive any overage money? I know they cannot disburse it any sooner than 14 days before classes. Is it usually really close to day 14 or earlier?

I am having some problems with the e-mail system. I can access nucleus fine, but the e-mail link does not work. No responce from the help-desk. Has anyone esle had any problems, how can I fix it?

Thanks

Zerosixjt said:
I am having some problems with the e-mail system. I can access nucleus fine, but the e-mail link does not work. No responce from the help-desk. Has anyone esle had any problems, how can I fix it?

Thanks

my problem with the email is that I was originally given a number password to log into nucleus the first time which I changed into my own password, but when I click on the email link it asks me to enter my information again and I have to use the number password b/c the changed password doesn't work on the email and I don't know how to change it....so maybe if you changed your password try logging into email w/ the number password they provided you instead of the new one...I'm hoping they will help us fix it when we start in august.

Hello does any one have Aisha Deberry's contact info?

drjds said:
Hello does any one have Aisha Deberry's contact info?

Aisha DeBerry 678-225-7531

tsazmand said:
I didnt know about the physical form until my future roommate found it somewhere on studentdoct. Just finished that today, if u need the form just shoot me ur email and ill send it 2 u.

The white coat ceremony is on 5th of november.

I finished my fafsa about a month ago and received my award letter about 2 and a half weeks afterwards and i jus sent my Fin aid pcom forms to the PA campus about a week ago. Also their were a bunch of other forms to be completed and sent to the PA campus so u might want them to fax that to u.

I saw some people had found the physical forms and wanted to see if someone could send one my way, I haven't been able to find one anywhere.
My email is [email protected], Thanks.

candyland said:
my problem with the email is that I was originally given a number password to log into nucleus the first time which I changed into my own password, but when I click on the email link it asks me to enter my information again and I have to use the number password b/c the changed password doesn't work on the email and I don't know how to change it....so maybe if you changed your password try logging into email w/ the number password they provided you instead of the new one...I'm hoping they will help us fix it when we start in august.

Hey,

If you can get into your email, up at the top there are 3 boxes... when you mouse over one it will say options. Click on that box, and the first page that pops up gives you the chance to change your email password. If you change that password to the same one you have for nucleus, then you should be able to get into your email just by clicking the link in nucleus. Hope that helps!

~Dana

anybody still looking for a roommate??? I'll be starting biomed sci this yr.

Hi guys,

My name is Dana, and I am formerly a 1st year at GA-PCOM. For a variety of reasons, I will not be returning in the fall, but I am still living in the area, and my roommate Alysa (a 2nd year) and I are looking for a third roommate to share a 3 bedroom, 2.5 bath house. The rent is $400/mo, plus 1/3 of the utilities. I do have a miniature poodle, and we may have another dog soon, so keep that in mind if you are allergic. We don't mind other pets though. The house is about 3.5 miles from the school.

Anyhow, message me if you are interested!

~Dana

bjsunny said:
Hi, I'm Dana's "other roomate" :laugh: (haha...howdy Dana!). In case you're wondering and couldn't tell by her name, we're both females. We're both 23. We both drive the same brand of car...wow. Anyway, to elaborate on Dana's message (since I know I had these same questions a year ago...), we are both pretty quiet and considerate of "study time." Her poodle is a great little dog who loves to be carried around like a baby. Dana's dad is our landlord so you can trust that any problems get taken care of ASAP. And (huge selling point!) it takes me approx. 6 minutes to get to school in the morning if not stopped by one of the local school buses :thumbdown: .

Hmmm...about me? I love music, traveling, indie films, and I own all 10 seasons of the Friends DVDs (not really important, but some people get a kick out of it). I'm really OCD about doors being locked, so you'll never have to worry about any doors being left unlocked in the house (just ask Dana!). And, though I don't see why it would be an issue, it's been brought up before that I am in fact a vegetarian, but I really don't care what other people eat, so don't worry about me throwing your steaks in the garbage or giving you the evil eye while moo-ing loudly if you eat a hamburger. :D That's all that comes to mind at the moment, but you can message me too if you want to know more.

Oh yeah, a note to the upcoming 1st years: Dana and I take REALLY extensive notes in class. And I think we bought all the books that were required and probably many of the ones that weren't. Just so you know.....

Alysa

Anyhow, I just thought that I would post this again for anyone who might still be looking for a roommate. Send either of us a message, or you can email me at [email protected].

~Dana

snicker1045 said:
Hi guys,

My name is Dana, and I am formerly a 1st year at GA-PCOM. For a variety of reasons, I will not be returning in the fall, but I am still living in the area, and my roommate Alysa (a 2nd year) and I are looking for a third roommate to share a 3 bedroom, 2.5 bath house. The rent is $400/mo, plus 1/3 of the utilities. I do have a miniature poodle, and we may have another dog soon, so keep that in mind if you are allergic. We don't mind other pets though. The house is about 3.5 miles from the school.

~Dana

Anyhow, I just thought that I would post this again for anyone who might still be looking for a roommate. Send either of us a message, or you can email me at [email protected].

~Dana

Will you be attending another medicial school?

snicker1045 said:
Hi guys,

~Dana

~Dana

snicker1045 said:
Hey,

If you can get into your email, up at the top there are 3 boxes... when you mouse over one it will say options. Click on that box, and the first page that pops up gives you the chance to change your email password. If you change that password to the same one you have for nucleus, then you should be able to get into your email just by clicking the link in nucleus. Hope that helps!

~Dana

GREAT!
thanks that worked:)

Nancy

drjds said:

Nope, I've decided that medicine is not for me. :)

I have recently purchased a townhome in Athens where my wife will be attending pharmacy school (Go Dawgs!!), and I will be commuting every day. I was curious as to whether or not anyone else will be living in the Athens area who may want to carpool.

Can some please send me the link to the mandatory physical form has well. Thank You

Has anyone been approved for a Grad plus loan yet (as in the Philly office has provided the lender with the budget info)? Just curious, because I applied weeks ago and my lender is still waiting to hear from the school.

max831 said:
Has anyone been approved for a Grad plus loan yet (as in the Philly office has provided the lender with the budget info)? Just curious, because I applied weeks ago and my lender is still waiting to hear from the school.

im in the same boat as u r

I'll answer my own question. The Philly office said that they are updating the computer system to comply with the new grad plus loans. They would not give a date for completion, but said that it is supposed to be done by Aug 4. Sounds to me like somebody's got a case of the s'posed to's.

Hey guys and gals,
Does anybody know when we recieve a required book list???
Thanks so much, see you all soon!

gobeavers said:
Hey guys and gals,
Does anybody know when we recieve a required book list???
Thanks so much, see you all soon!

Hi, 2nd year here....if anything is like last year, you'll probably see a book list maybe 5 days before class starts, if you're lucky.

Some professor once made a comment about how we should buy our books from the school bookstore (to encourage availability and cooperation with Barnes and Noble or something), but I personally say "no thanks" to that, seeing as you can get anything cheaper online, and I hate Barnes and Noble anyway...ahhh corporate America - no thanks.

Hey GA-PCOM class of 2010!
Are you still looking for an apartment and hoping to find a roommate?
Well, I will be a 2nd year student next year and I'm looking for a nice, neat, quiet FEMALE roommate for next year who is wanting to share a 2 bedroom, 2 bath apartment somewhere close to school. I lived in Suwanee last year so I am very familiar with the area and all the local apartments.
If you are wondering why I am in need of an apartment-- it is because my apartment was recently broken into and burglarized so I am looking for a safer place to live--having an alarm system at my future apartment is a must! I had lived in Colonial Grand at McGinnis Ferry, which seemed to me like a safe, gated-community with low crime. My car was also broken into this winter and the stereo was stolen. So, needless to say, to any of you first years looking for places- I would NOT recommend this apartment complex.
If you are interested in being roommates and finding an apartment with me--please e-mail me: [email protected]
p.s. I am not the Dana that is withdrawing from school--that's a different Dana! :)