GA-PCOM Class of 2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
...edited for content...

:p

Members don't see this ad.

hi,
any of the GA-PCOMers 2009 live in either AMLI or Colonial Grand apartments on McGinnis ferry road? I am now deciding between the two and I would like to give your name as a person who referred me if I pick either one...any recommendations on which one I should pick? colonial grand has given me a good deal just today for $650/month and they have an AMAZING gym...but other than that I liked everything else in AMLI...any feedback would be appreciated!

thanks,
Nancy

Let me warn you, McGinnis Ferry Road has TON of traffic!!!! If you have to make a left turn out of the apartment you are trouble, but if you make a right you should be O.K.

candyland said:
hi,
any of the GA-PCOMers 2009 live in either AMLI or Colonial Grand apartments on McGinnis ferry road? I am now deciding between the two and I would like to give your name as a person who referred me if I pick either one...any recommendations on which one I should pick? colonial grand has given me a good deal just today for $650/month and they have an AMAZING gym...but other than that I liked everything else in AMLI...any feedback would be appreciated!

thanks,
Nancy

Members don't see this ad :)
I am on the waiting list for GA-PCOM...let's see what happens..if all goes well i will be starting in the August of 2006

If you could help me out I had some questions for you:
1). Know of any nice apts that are walking distance to PCOM? Know anyone that needs a roommate?
2). How did you guys make your decision to attend PCOM? I mean you didn't have any past graduates to question on their experiences?
3). Is PCOM now accredited?
4). Do you know anything about residencies for international students?

I would greatly appreciate any advice you have to offer. As i am new to this site, i would love if you could email me at [email protected]
thanksssssssss a lotttttttt

Hey GA-PCOM'ers,

I am taking the MCAT this August and will be applying to GA-PCOM for the first time for entrance in Aug '07. What would be an ideal MCAT score for a good chance at being accepted?

Thanx in advance! :)

Pdiddy310 said:
Hey GA-PCOM'ers,

I am taking the MCAT this August and will be applying to GA-PCOM for the first time for entrance in Aug '08. What would be an ideal MCAT score for a good chance at being accepted?

Ideally a 45T, just have a really convincing story to interview that you will come to GA-PCOM. :D

J/K A realistic goal for good chance of being accepted would be a 30, with a 10 in each section.

Pdiddy310 said:
Hey GA-PCOM'ers,

I am taking the MCAT this August and will be applying to GA-PCOM for the first time for entrance in Aug '08. What would be an ideal MCAT score for a good chance at being accepted?

In my opinion, a reasonable score is 27-30, and a good score is 31 or above. But you can surely get an interview with a lower score, assuming GPA and other stuff (essays, experience, letter of rec) are within "good" range. GA-PCOM doesn't just drop you if you have a lower MCAT, they really do look at other parts of the application; but still, its in your best interest to shoot for a 27 or higher.

Little Bear said:
Ideally a 45T, just have a really convincing story to interview that you will come to GA-PCOM. :D

J/K A realistic goal for good chance of being accepted would be a 30, with a 10 in each section.

A 30 with a 4.0 GPA would probably land me in Emory. :) However, I do not entirely believe in the allopathic philosophy. I was reading that the mean MCAT score for PCOM students for the entering class of Aug '04 was a 24. Just wondering what other GA PCOM'ers had scored. Hope to see you all on campus!

samdwi said:
In my opinion, a reasonable score is 27-30, and a good score is 31 or above. But you can surely get an interview with a lower score, assuming GPA and other stuff (essays, experience, letter of rec) are within "good" range. GA-PCOM doesn't just drop you if you have a lower MCAT, they really do look at other parts of the application; but still, its in your best interest to shoot for a 27 or higher.

How much of a factor does experience play in regards to osteopathic schools, GA PCOM in particular? I haven't done any shadowing of any MD's or DO's but have shadowed DC's and DMD's.

Agreed Pdiddy. I think Sam was drinking too much "Allopathic Juice" when he posted. 30+ will land you in a decent allo school. I believe the majority of our class (and most DO schools) prob scored within the 25-27 range. By no means do you need a 31+ that is ridiculous. I mean we are good students and a good school but lets not go overboard. Mid twenties will get most people into DO school with decent GPA and EC's (and you are not discovered to be a mass murderer at your interview). By all means shoot for 30+ but not really necessary.

You def. want to shadow some DO's b/f applying. Shadowing chiros and dentists is great if you want to go to chiro or dental school. Take it from a former DC, it is NOT nearly the same experience. Def. Shadow 1 or 2 DO's and get good letters of rec from them.

BMW-

Pdiddy310 said:
A 30 with a 4.0 GPA would probably land me in Emory. :) However, I do not entirely believe in the allopathic philosophy. I was reading that the mean MCAT score for PCOM students for the entering class of Aug '04 was a 24. Just wondering what other GA PCOM'ers had scored. Hope to see you all on campus!

Pdiddy310 said:
How much of a factor does experience play in regards to osteopathic schools, GA PCOM in particular? I haven't done any shadowing of any MD's or DO's but have shadowed DC's and DMD's.

You should try to shadow a DO :)

BMW19 said:
Agreed Pdiddy. I think Sam was drinking too much "Allopathic Juice" when he posted. 30+ will land you in a decent allo school. I believe the majority of our class (and most DO schools) prob scored within the 25-27 range. By no means do you need a 31+ that is ridiculous. I mean we are good students and a good school but lets not go overboard. Mid twenties will get most people into DO school with decent GPA and EC's (and you are not discovered to be a mass murderer at your interview). By all means shoot for 30+ but not really necessary.

You def. want to shadow some DO's b/f applying. Shadowing chiros and dentists is great if you want to go to chiro or dental school. Take it from a former DC, it is NOT nearly the same experience. Def. Shadow 1 or 2 DO's and get good letters of rec from them.

BMW-

Well said BMW. I wish to subscribe to your newsletter. :) btw, is PCOM fully accreditted yet?

Members don't see this ad :)
BMW19 said:

BMW-

I said shoot for 27+, Little Bear said 31. Now I'm going to have TP your car.

Yes GA-PCOM is fully accredited as of a few weeks ago

BMW-

Pdiddy310 said:
Well said BMW. I wish to subscribe to your newsletter. :) btw, is PCOM fully accreditted yet?

Sorry Sam,

You and little bear were hitting the Allo bottle together. I prefer pink post it notes please

samdwi said:
I said shoot for 27+, Little Bear said 31. Now I'm going to have TP your car.

Pdiddy310 said:
Good call! :thumbup:

Shadow a few, since you have time. I don't know what the average MCAT scores at GA-PCOM are.

Experience plays an important role at DO schools more than MD becuase we have many more non-traditional students who may not have stellar numbers but have really good experience as nurses, paramedics, EMTs, research and chiropractic quack-yankees (!!!Touche BMW!!!) and the such.

OUCH Sam, below the belt. Just so you future GA-PCOMers know Sam was responsible for classes starting at 8 instead of 9. You can thank him in the fall.....

samdwi said:
Shadow a few, since you have time. I don't know what the average MCAT scores at GA-PCOM are.

Experience plays an important role at DO schools more than MD becuase we have many more non-traditional students who may not have stellar numbers but have really good experience as nurses, paramedics, EMTs, research and chiropractic quack-yankees (!!!Touche BMW!!!) and the such.

JSlammit said:
I applied late, interviewed late, and got waitlisted. Then I got accepted a little bit over 1 week before orientation. Even then, one student had to leave for certain reasons a week after classes started, and they accepted another student to replace him. I don't know where I was on the list, so I can't give u real odds. But i hope this gives u an idea that u just never know when u'll get the call. good luck.

What were your stats?

drjds said:
What were your stats?
Numbers are important, but they aren't everything. Persistence and a positive attitude can often make the difference between an acceptance letter and the alternative.

I was trying to figure out the academic calender for the first year MS1. Is it all year long with a summer term? I know most schools get the summer between MS1 and MS2 off. Thanks

brian30bulldog said:
I was trying to figure out the academic calender for the first year MS1. Is it all year long with a summer term? I know most schools get the summer between MS1 and MS2 off. Thanks

We get the summer off starting June 2nd til August 14th. That is for this year. It looks like you will get off for summer June 1st and start back again on August 20th.

Amy

KYmedic said:
We get the summer off starting June 2nd til August 14th. That is for this year. It looks like you will get off for summer June 1st and start back again on August 20th.

Amy

Just to give you my opinion: I am a Georgia resident. I went to Mercer University and got my undergrad. degree in Biomedical Engineering. I had 3.57 cumulative GPA and 27P on the MCAT. With those stats (which are far from stellar) I was interviewed and waitlisted at Mercer, MCG, Morehouse, and Uniformed Service University. I was interviwed and accepted at GA-PCOM.

After visiting GA-PCOM and each of the allopathic schools to which I applied, I can honestly say (with no bias) that GA-PCOM has THE nicest, most state of the art, facilities of any school. They have the friendliest, most cohesive students. The administration seems to take a genuine interest in the success and well-being of every students. They have a strong name backing them up, and it speaks VERY highly of them that they gained accreditation so quickly.

When preparing for the MCAT, never ask "what should I shoot for" hoping to hear something like 24, 27, 31+, etc. The first thing that they told us when I started my Kaplan prep course, was shoot for a 45T. That seems pretty rediculous, but the point is, you need to shoot for as high as you can get. Good luck!

I was just accepted off the waitlist and am very excited. I guess that means Im on the housing market so if anyone needs an extra roommate or if 2-3 other people dont have roommates we can find a place together. About Me: Brian, 22 yo male, uga alum, crazy about sports (braves, falcons, dawgs), respect study time (lived with other pre-meds), non-smoker, clean, like to have good time when all work is done. Email me if interested at [email protected]

Hey brian30bulldog,

I, too, am a UGA grad. When were you notified of your acceptance? I am on the waitlist and curious to know what is going on with the waitlist.

Thanks!

SK8DOC said:
Hey brian30bulldog,

I, too, am a UGA grad. When were you notified of your acceptance? I am on the waitlist and curious to know what is going on with the waitlist.

Thanks!
Aisha called me last Thursday and she didnt say how many had been pulled off the list. Good Luck!

:) Just found out that I will be joining you all in Aug!!!!!

Can't wait to see you all.

Zerosixjt said:
:) Just found out that I will be joining you all in Aug!!!!!

Can't wait to see you all.

congrats :clap:

Hey Amy! Can you help me find an apartment?!!! :love: :love:
KYmedic said:
Hey fellow students! My name is Amy and I am a part of the Class of 2009. I am so excited you all are deciding to come to GA-PCOM. If you have any questions about apartments, the school, books or anything you can think of don't hesitate to email me at [email protected]. I have a lot of experience on apartment finding in the area. If you are interested in townhouses or homes I can help a little with that or direct you to someone who has more experience. Congrats on your acceptance and I look forward to meeting you in August.

Amy

Hey guys,

Sorry to hijack the thread but Congrats to all of us 2009'ers on making it thru 1st year!! MS II Woo Hoo!

Looking forward to meeting all of you newbies in August!

BMW-

BMW19 said:
Hey guys,

Sorry to hijack the thread but Congrats to all of us 2009'ers on making it thru 1st year!! MS II Woo Hoo!

Looking forward to meeting all of you newbies in August!

BMW-

Yup, congrats to us. Holy crap...I didn't think we'd make it this far.

doctorjoy said:
Hey let's get to know each other a little bit before we get to school. Who is coming with a family? Single? Coming straight from undergraduate? Took sometime off before going? etc, etc... :D

I got on this forum much later than everyone else. My name is Melissa and I am 24 years old. I got accepted in March...Yai!!! I am coming to GA-PCOM with a boyfriend (Stephen) and a dog (my big loveable Rottie, Trill) in tow. I just got my MPH from the University of South Florida in Tampa. I did take a year off between undergraduate and public health to do a little self-guided pre-med post-bacc and take the MCAT. I graduated with my undergraduate at George Washington University in D.C in 2003. in emergency health services, so I am technically a licenced paramedic until the end of the year or so...not that it matters because I haven't used it. I got my apartment already. Summer Park off Buford Drive, and i'm very happy that is over with. :laugh:

BahaGirl said:
I got on this forum much later than everyone else. My name is Melissa and I am 24 years old. I got accepted in March...Yai!!! I am coming to GA-PCOM with a boyfriend (Stephen) and a dog (my big loveable Rottie, Trill) in tow. I just got my MPH from the University of South Florida in Tampa. I did take a year off between undergraduate and public health to do a little self-guided pre-med post-bacc and take the MCAT. I graduated with my undergraduate at George Washington University in D.C in 2003. in emergency health services, so I am technically a licenced paramedic until the end of the year or so...not that it matters because I haven't used it. I got my apartment already. Summer Park off Buford Drive, and i'm very happy that is over with. :laugh:

See ya in August. I went to USF as well, for undergrad, graduated in 2004. It looks like there are a good number of people from Tampa in your class.

pinkscrubs,

I was reading that you stayed in the apartment complex last year. I am an incoming first year, and was interested in staying there or the Gables. Rent has dramatically increased since you had your lease. The two bedrooms are all over $1000. I was debating between this apartment complex and The Gables. On ApartmentRatings.com some of the previous residents at the Reserve stated that there were having problems, and the police were always there. They suspected drug traffic. Also, there were some complaints about bugs and the leasing agents, but nothing too bad. Now I know most people only post to these boards to report bad news, but I thought I would ask someone from PCOM what they thought of the complex and if you noticed any problems with it. Please let me know your thoughts and opinions on the complex. Any information I would be appreciate.

Also I would like to know if anyone has rented from the Gables and what they thought about the complex. The only complaints I found here, were old postings about bugs, and problems with the leasing agents. Again I would appreciate any thoughts on these two properties so that I can make a decision.

Thank you for your time!

Erica :oops:

if you all are looking for a newer, nicer apartment that is priced fairly, check out Wesley Herrington off of Herrington Rd. A two bed room water costed a little over $850 when my wife and I lived there a year ago. Also, its less trafficky and only a 10 min. drive to GaPCOM with traffic.

Is GaPCOM on the quarter or semester system and how many hours of class are required per quarter/semester? Does anyone have a link to their curriculum of classes? thanx in advance. :)

Pdiddy310 said:
Is GaPCOM on the quarter or semester system and how many hours of class are required per quarter/semester? Does anyone have a link to their curriculum of classes? thanx in advance. :)

we are actually on a trimester system. As far as hours go...creidt hours are usually around 18 total per trimester I think. The majority of the hours are allocated for the major basic science class ~14, OMM is 2 and PCS is 1. Actual hrs spent in class varies from week to week.

CircusofWillis said:
we are actually on a trimester system. As far as hours go...creidt hours are usually around 18 total per trimester I think. The majority of the hours are allocated for the major basic science class ~14, OMM is 2 and PCS is 1. Actual hrs spent in class varies from week to week.

Yo Circus, don't forget Medicine & Society (2 credits??). Homonucleus says Hi!

Has anyone received their financial aid award letter?

brian30bulldog said:
Aisha called me last Thursday and she didnt say how many had been pulled off the list. Good Luck!

Hey brian30bulldog,

I am on the waitlist. I want to know if the candidates on the waitlist are ranked. I recall reading that somebody was waitlist #8 on this forum. Did you have a rank too? Input from others also appreciated.

Thanks a ton.

No Financial Aid Award Letter here.... :sleep:

No financial aid award letter here, either. The financial aid workshop is on Friday, however.

Im a second year and my roomate is getting married this summer so Im looking for a new roomate. I live in Idlewylde apts. The rent is $450-475 with rent, utilities, cable and internet. Its 7-10 min from school in the mornings with traffic and stop lights.

Im looking for a first year, cause I know you guys are gonna be studying hard, and I want someone to keep me goin when I study for boards.

If you are interested or know of anyone in search of a roomate, please let me/them know.

My email is [email protected]. Ill be at the financial aid meeting thursday so ill see you then

I am going to be starting PCOM-ga campus in august. I am excited yet scared. Does anyone have any input on places that i can rent out and does anyone need a female roommate????

Did any of you read the email from Angela, Suggesting that we might need laptops for the school year. If not here it is :thumbup:

Hello Future DOs!!

To help improve our examination process, we may require that students have a laptop beginning in August. This is not mandatory as of yet, but, please keep this in mind as you prepare for August. We will keep you posted of our final decision.

To help offset the costs you may incur, we are currently in negotiation with a major PC provider to offer laptop computers at a discounted rate for GA-PCOM students. If you currently have a laptop, please make sure that it has hardwire and wireless capabilities.

Again, please note that this has not been mandated as of yet, however, we wanted to make sure you were aware of equipment you may need for the year.

Islandbabe said:
I am going to be starting PCOM-ga campus in august. I am excited yet scared. Does anyone have any input on places that i can rent out and does anyone need a female roommate????

email Angela Dickson she can help you with housing [email protected]

Islandbabe said:

Hey there! Welcome to GA-PCOM. My roomate and I (we're both going to be 2nd years and we are both females) are looking for a roomate to fill the 3rd bedroom in our house. My roomate's dad owns the house, so he is our landlord and takes care of any problems quickly. The house is about a 7 minute drive from campus in normal traffic. We share all utilities equally, and we currently have high speed (wireless) internet, phone, cable, security system, garbage, water, electric/gas and pest control. My rent last year was $350/month plus 1/3 of utilities, which typically came to about $500 each month, give or take $30. You'd have to ask her what the rent will be for the coming year. We both posted earlier in this thread (her name is snicker-something haha), but feel free to PM me and I'll give you her email as well. Oh yeah, we have a dog in the house! He's a miniature poodle and he's very loveable. Good luck!

-Alysa

doctorjoy said:
Did any of you read the email from Angela, Suggesting that we might need laptops for the school year. If not here it is :thumbup:

Hello Future DOs!!

To help improve our examination process, we may require that students have a laptop beginning in August. This is not mandatory as of yet, but, please keep this in mind as you prepare for August. We will keep you posted of our final decision.

To help offset the costs you may incur, we are currently in negotiation with a major PC provider to offer laptop computers at a discounted rate for GA-PCOM students. If you currently have a laptop, please make sure that it has hardwire and wireless capabilities.

Again, please note that this has not been mandated as of yet, however, we wanted to make sure you were aware of equipment you may need for the year.

Cool, something else the Army will give me for free :D

HooahDOc said:

If you think the Army is giving you something for free, you are in for a rude awakening when you are in the Army full-time.

HooahDOc said:

Are you on the army scholarship program? I am an entering first year at GA-PCOM and am interested in the army scholarship. What is the application process like? What is the real commitment and are the army residencies AOA approved? Any info you have would be appreciated. Thank you.