GA-PCOM Class of 2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Raj,

Good to see you on here. Plugging the Pain Club! Yes Raj and I will be standing way above center field with our $5 cheap med student tickets drinking way overpriced beer. Please join us. Since Raj is plugging the pain club, Please see me for your interest in the Emergency Medicine club which I happen to be VP of.

Welcome to the GA-PCOM family guys....

BMW-

QUOTE=rs_braves]beano,

I think that's a go for the Saturday night braves game as long as the weather holds up. BMW, myself and some others that didn't head to D.C. will be going to the braves saturday night. Those of you guys staying in town, please come and join us.

By the way, you guys interested in Pain Management or Rehab, come find me on Friday. Looking forward to meeting you all.

Raj[/QUOTE]

Members don't see this ad.

i actually just got accepted this tuesday off the waitlist and i havent received my packet yet.
what is this new student reception about? what time does it start tomorrow? what will it include?

also, when do classes start this year?

thanks in advance!!

ernieraisin said:
i actually just got accepted this tuesday off the waitlist and i havent received my packet yet.
what is this new student reception about? what time does it start tomorrow? what will it include?

also, when do classes start this year?

thanks in advance!!
Congrats again :thumbup:
The reception is from 2-4pm. I guess it is our first welcome to the school and there will be some info about financial aid (june 9th is the financial aid day), housing info, etc... Orientation is August 9-11. Classes start on the 14th of August. The white coat ceremony is Nov. 5th. Hope to see you tomorrow :)

Members don't see this ad :)
doctorjoy said:
Congrats again :thumbup:
The reception is from 2-4pm. I guess it is our first welcome to the school and there will be some info about financial aid (june 9th is the financial aid day), housing info, etc... Orientation is August 9-11. Classes start on the 14th of August. The white coat ceremony is Nov. 5th. Hope to see you tomorrow :)

THANK YOU!!
i will try to make it! (if i can get out work early...)

got my acceptance letter today but no mention of the reception tomorrow.
i am assuming it is open only to those who have submitted the $2,250 deposit???
any feedback would be appreciated since it is too late to call aisha.

ernieraisin said:
ernieraisin,

Don't worry, the reception is for all accepted students. Do you live in the area? If you can, you should definitely try to make it. I hope to see you there tomorrow!

ernieraisin said:

I have only paid the $250 deposit and I got the reception invite AFTER the acceptance letter so yours is probably on the way too and you should definitely come tomorrow if you can make it.

candyland said:
I have only paid the $250 deposit and I got the reception invite AFTER the acceptance letter so yours is probably on the way too and you should definitely come tomorrow if you can make it.

OK, so I went to the reception yesterday. It was a lot of fun and very reassuring as far as the school. I figured out who at least two of you are. Nancy, I sat at your table...do you know who I am? I'll give you a hint...I was the only one there with a Y chromosome. BMW19, I talked to you for like 30 minutes before the open house even started. I learned who you are from Dana. Will see you all later in the summer or fall.

GAdoc said:
Nancy, I sat at your table...do you know who I am? I'll give you a hint...I was the only one there with a Y chromosome.

haha yeah the hint was very helpful ;)

I liked the reception as well...certainly will make orienation in August easier now that there will be some familiar faces there!

I can probably speak for a good number of us first years in that we wish we had had a reception like y'all got. It's nice to go ahead and start breaking the ice/finding roomates/finding places to live. I know I got to hang with a few of y'all this weekend off campus, and that was really cool. We're excited to show next year's class how we do it GAPCOM style here in the dirty south!

Hey everyone…I’m getting close to cracking everyone’s screen name. GA doc & Candyland, I also sat at your table and introduced you guys –oh gosh, I almost wrote ya’ll instead of you guys….the south is already sucking me in.

First off, I’m so very glad the school hosted an open house/reception. What a treat to meet everyone. Kudos to the second year students who stayed back from DC to share their experience at GA-PCOM with us, and lead us on an exciting scavenger hunt. An extra shout out to DrugTech and Josh for rallying up the new kids for a fun Friday night out. It made house hunting early the following morning rough (although very successful)!

For those who missed the exciting event, don’t worry I have no doubt there will be plenty more fun to participate in. I’m tempted to scribble myself on a future nomination list for social chair- class of 2010….Oh yeah, the day our syllabus arrives will be the day social chair-2009 and I will be coordinating the social lives of PCOM-GA students and getting us into trouble when time permits.

It was awesome meeting everyone and thanks again to 2009 for their hospitality.

I enjoyed the reception also. :) I really did not get a chance to figure out anyone who is on SDN who went to the reception. I can't wait until school starts. I am ready to finish work and move on something new.:clap:

doctorjoy said:
I enjoyed the reception also. :) I really did not get a chance to figure out anyone who is on SDN who went to the reception. I can't wait until school starts. I am ready to finish work and move on something new.:clap:

I enjoyed the reception also! It was really nice meeting everyone and I appreciate all the people in 2009 that showed us around a bit! Thanks!!! I have a question about health insurance. Is it required to have the insurance from the school or can you get private insurance? Does anyone have private insurance and is it cheaper? I just noticed how expensive the school one is and was wondering if anyone found a good plan that was less expensive for them. Thanks ahead of time!

Members don't see this ad :)
cbertino said:
I enjoyed the reception also! It was really nice meeting everyone and I appreciate all the people in 2009 that showed us around a bit! Thanks!!! I have a question about health insurance. Is it required to have the insurance from the school or can you get private insurance? Does anyone have private insurance and is it cheaper? I just noticed how expensive the school one is and was wondering if anyone found a good plan that was less expensive for them. Thanks ahead of time!

I know when I saw the price of insurance I was floored. It is really expensive but it is really good coverage. I know when I went shopping for insurance no other company could give me comparable coverage. You are not required to get insurance that the school offers but you have to have insurance. I just thought it was easier to go through the school.

i'm going to risk sounding like a complete nerd on this question, but to the class of 2009...

anyone think that a tablet pc would be useful? i wasn't sure if most of the classes were on powerpoint. i know morehouse students are required to have tablets and when i saw my friends', i was pretty impressed at how useful it really was.

anyone think it'd be helpful for the way pcom classes are taught?

thanks!!

anxiousnadd said:
i'm going to risk sounding like a complete nerd on this question, but to the class of 2009...

anyone think that a tablet pc would be useful? i wasn't sure if most of the classes were on powerpoint. i know morehouse students are required to have tablets and when i saw my friends', i was pretty impressed at how useful it really was.

anyone think it'd be helpful for the way pcom classes are taught?

thanks!!

Not really...my dad is an admin for a school district, and his entire job, for the most part, deals with technology for all the schools in a really big county. Thus, he's had quite a bit of experience with all things computer-related (and every other piece of electronic equipment Circuit City can make...I think he blew some of my inheritance on his recent purchase of a HUGE flat screen high def top-o'-the-line TV). Anyway, he tells the schools what computers to purchase, and he is the go-to guy in his office for all the other school district employees. I asked him back in November about tablets, because I was pushing for a new computer for Christmas. He got this huge look of disgust on his face and said that several people in his office have them, and that they are, in a word, horrible. He just said that they seem really neat and convenient, but that people were always having ridiculous problems with them even after just a few months of ownership. He said the software is faulty and the things crash a lot. So...that might just be one brand (I did not get that info...), but he said he is really displeased at their performance. Thus, under the tree I had a brand new, shiny Dell widescreen laptop, and I love it. :thumbup:

I'd personally think about holding off on a tablet for a few years...give the technology a chance to improve on itself. I think they will be fantastic one day, but for right now a laptop is fine for you. All of our lectures are on powerpoint, but our professors print the slides for us to have during class, and they post the file online. I have only noticed a handful of people actually taking notes on their computers, and I'd say I typically only see about 25-30 students with laptops in class every day anyhow, out of 83, so you should be fine with that, or even a desktop. I wouldn't count on the school's computers yet...they are having issues that are still in need of some correction! Hope this helps....

AB

My take on the issue:

Yes the Insurance is expensive
Yes it is great coverage (I paid 5 bucks for a good drug a few weeks ago)
It comes out of your student loans so, why not? If the government wants to pay for my expensive insurance for now I'll let em. If you can get it thru your sig. other for free that is the best deal of all!!

BMW-

cbertino said:

I have BC/BS of Georgia PPO Bluevalue plan, I think I pay like $86/mo. but I do have like a $2000 deductable. Dr visits $40, ER $150, prescription, $15 generic drug, $30 Brand. Im sure the school ins. is good too, I just dont get many drugs or go to the doctor much.

Does anyone know when we should be receiving our financial aid packets from the school? they've had my financial aid info for quite some time now...

Spankete87 said:
Does anyone know when we should be receiving our financial aid packets from the school? they've had my financial aid info for quite some time now...

I was wondering the same thing :idea:

I am guessing late June/Early July...after the financial aid workshop...which I won't go down for...I have filled out the forms and I don't need to listen to the military recruiters...

Hey all GAPCOM newbies

As many of you as possible should live at 5375 Sugarloaf Apts.
It's 7 minutes away, no highway, and they

do your laundry

give you breakfast

yup

theyll even do your underwear and heretofore unmentionables.

The best part is that if you refer me I get 500 bucks, half of which would go to you my lowly freshman!

So what do you say, be a pal and sign a 13 month lease for me? come on what am i really asking for, your first born? geez. so uptight.

seriously though, do it.

email me at [email protected] for details. Just don't open any links that I may send back. My computer is rife with disease. Kidding. Come on, loosen up.

The stuff about the laundry and breakfast is true though.

Let me know, you should do it.

From,
Doug

(the guy who won the magical GAPCOM treasure hunt during the meet n greet n eat, so at least 5 of you owe me.)

douglassc said:
Hey all GAPCOM newbies

As many of you as possible should live at 5375 Sugarloaf Apts.
It's 7 minutes away, no highway, and they

do your laundry

give you breakfast

yup

theyll even do your underwear and heretofore unmentionables.

The best part is that if you refer me I get 500 bucks, half of which would go to you my lowly freshman!

So what do you say, be a pal and sign a 13 month lease for me? come on what am i really asking for, your first born? geez. so uptight.

seriously though, do it.

email me at [email protected] for details. Just don't open any links that I may send back. My computer is rife with disease. Kidding. Come on, loosen up.

The stuff about the laundry and breakfast is true though.

Let me know, you should do it.

From,
Doug

(the guy who won the magical GAPCOM treasure hunt during the meet n greet n eat, so at least 5 of you owe me.)

boooo you think we will want to live in the same area as you after making our teams lose? haha kidding :p

ummm, do you by any chance know how much a single costs? I might actually check it out when I go apartment shopping...oh and is it gated?

Nancy

candyland said:
boooo you think we will want to live in the same area as you after making our teams lose? haha kidding :p

ummm, do you by any chance know how much a single costs? I might actually check it out when I go apartment shopping...oh and is it gated?

Nancy

I pay $685 for a single, which is just about the same as anywhere else you can find in the area.

It is gated and from what I've heard from others it is one of the better places to live. Extremely friendly staff, really nice pool, and as I mentioned, laundry and breakfast.

let me know.

So I have a question for all of those who have been through year 1 at GA-PCOM. My mom wants to take my father to a musical for his birthday towards the end of September (sept 23). My mom would like for all of us to go. My parents live in North Carolina ~6 hour drive from Atlanta. My question is - is this reasonable for me to agree to? Does anyone know if this would fall around our first round of tests? Any help would be greatly appreciated. I'm thinking of telling her no right now just to be safe, but I really would like to be here for my dad's birthday if it's possible. Thanks!

Lori

Spankete87 said:
So I have a question for all of those who have been through year 1 at GA-PCOM. My mom wants to take my father to a musical for his birthday towards the end of September (sept 23). My mom would like for all of us to go. My parents live in North Carolina ~6 hour drive from Atlanta. My question is - is this reasonable for me to agree to? Does anyone know if this would fall around our first round of tests? Any help would be greatly appreciated. I'm thinking of telling her no right now just to be safe, but I really would like to be here for my dad's birthday if it's possible. Thanks!

Lori

Well, I can tell you that we had our first Anatomy test on Fri 9/9, and our second test on or around Wed 9/28(give or take). However, there really is no guaranteed way of telling the changes they decide to make, and all those small things. I wish I had more to tell you besides that.

Maybe you can find someone to go to NC w/ you that weekend, and if it happens to be a test weekend, then you can all split the driving and still study in the car?

Believe me, the unsurity (a word?) of when your tests will be for the upcoming term will often reak havoc with any long term planning you attempt next year. Been there, and will continue to be there.

douglassc said:
Well, I can tell you that we had our first Anatomy test on Fri 9/9, and our second test on or around Wed 9/28(give or take). However, there really is no guaranteed way of telling the changes they decide to make, and all those small things. I wish I had more to tell you besides that.

Maybe you can find someone to go to NC w/ you that weekend, and if it happens to be a test weekend, then you can all split the driving and still study in the car?

Believe me, the unsurity (a word?) of when your tests will be for the upcoming term will often reak havoc with any long term planning you attempt next year. Been there, and will continue to be there.

Thanks for the input. I kind of thought it would be really hard for anyone to tell me anything this far in advance. If I do decide to go home, I think I'll see if my parents will fly me home ;) I could pretty much study the entire time if I flew. Unfortunately I can't study in the car.

Don't change your entire life because of exams. You should go and just plan to push it extra hard the week before the exam (if there is one). Honestly, I got married in the middle of term one (not my choice obviously, but isnt that way it always is!). I freaked out for like 3 weeks and then realized that we had half day on that Friday and it was in between tests. Obviously I would not recommend taking weekend trips to Vegas on a regular basis, but to plan ahead for one day with your dad I don't think is going to ruin your medical career. Just my opin.

B-

Spankete87 said:
Thanks for the input. I kind of thought it would be really hard for anyone to tell me anything this far in advance. If I do decide to go home, I think I'll see if my parents will fly me home ;) I could pretty much study the entire time if I flew. Unfortunately I can't study in the car.

Spankete87 said:

I personally don't think flying is a great option either. My hometown is also about a 6 to 6.5 hour drive away from the school (in SC). Anyway, at Thanksgiving, my dad bought me a ticket (~$500 w/taxes). We thought that it would be a quick and easy way to get home. Yeah...not so much. First of all, the airport is at the very least 50 minutes away (according to Mapquest), but it took my roomate almost 1.5 hrs to get me there (and she drives pretty fast). Granted, this was a holiday weekend, but traffic is pretty much always bad, unless you fly out at 4a.m. or something. My actual airport experience (security, ticket, etc) was surprisingly quick and efficient. But it's a huge airport, and I had several flight problems. Even without the delays and overbookings I had to deal with, both flights total (I had a 40 min layover) took about two hours. Then there's the whole FAA-get-to-the-airport-atleast-an-hour-early thing. In the end, it took me longer to get home than if I had just driven, and it was much too expensive. And maybe you are better at concentrating than I, but studying on a crowded airplane with kids crying and flight attendants running up and down the aisles seems near impossible to me. You said you are from NC, so if you are flying to Charlotte Douglas Int'l, then I doubt you'd have a layover. But, I'm just telling you to remember the fact that traffic is lousy, the airport isn't right next door, it is a huge international hub with high security, and it is expensive, before you fly home. Other people may have better stories (I did fly out two days before Thanksgiving...) but I'll never fly anywhere that's within a 6 or 7 hr drive again. It's just not worth all the stress and hassle.

I've driven home several times since then, and it is such an easy trip. And it only costs about $60 in gas round-trip (for a mid-size sedan). You didn't say what city in NC you are from, but I am sure you can make it home by interstate for a good portion of the drive. I agree with BMW too...just plan to study a little harder the week before you leave, or make sure you are completely prepared for all the other tests, which will pad your overall grade. Hope this helps...

AB

I thought I would share my apartment hunting experience with all of you. I’m coming from out of state, so I had one trip (open house/reception) to sort this all out. Here goes……

5375 Sugarloaf: The apartment complex is new and very nice. It is gated. It seemed a little expensive compared to others, but the fact that they will do your laundry and provide breakfast could be priceless....considering I’m not the laundry queen, this was quite appealing. If you like nice things, this is the place to live. The staff was really nice.

Gables Sugarloaf: Again the complex was nice and gated, but the staff wasn’t as friendly. It seemed that large families lived there. The rooms were big with nice bathrooms. Master room had large closet space (girls, you know this is important).

Sugarhill- This was nice. Most bang for the buck. Close to school. 100% occupancy, so get your application in early.

Madison- Across the street from Sugarhill, Seemed nice too.

Basically the apartments seemed to be around $900+ for 1100 sq feet (2 bedrooms) plus utilities. I was really impressed with the quality of apartments in Lawrenceville. I was afraid of ghetto student housing, but that wasn’t the case at all. They all had amazing pools. I don’t know if it’s a Georgia thing or not, but many of the apartment complexes hold “specials”. These last anywhere from a week to several weeks. Basically, if you sign a year long lease, they will knock off $100+ a month, or get one or two months free of rent. At least for 5375 sugarloaf if you get on the wait list now, they will give you the best special that is offered from now until move in date.

After endless hours of apartment shopping, my family decided that buying a house would be the best thing. So, I got to spend the following day house hunting. We made an offer and now I need roommates to fill the house. Basically, it’s a fairly new house, 2400+ sq feet, 3 bedrooms, 2.5 baths, etc. The house is located about 1 mile from school so we can use our gas allowance for important things like expanding the never adequate wardrobe!!!

About me: I'm single, female, social- although that might have to be tamed for a while. I've lived with roommates before so I'm pretty considerate. I do expect common areas to be clean. I like to barbeque and wouldn’t be surprised if I hosted some fun on an occasional Friday or Saturday night….I’m leaning towards all female roommates just so I can lay around in my underwear watching TiVo on hot days…just kidding. I prefer non smokers, not married, no kids. I try to eat healthy, but I’ve yet given up the daily Capt Crunch Berries intake. Currently I live with a vegetarian, so no prob there. The house is nice, so probably no dogs. I haven’t hashed out the price yet with my parents, but probably around $400-$450 plus utilities….split between 3 people should be under $100. We’re not trying to make money off students, just provide me with a safe and mellow living environment for these stressful years.

If you are interested, send me a PM.

Congrats DrGreenEyes on your house purchase! Sounds like fun!

For those of you looking at apartments here is my advice:
#1 DO NOT LIVE AT STERLING RIVERSIDE
#2 check out http://www.apartmentratings.com/ you can get read reviews and get an idea of crime, etc (don't forget you have to search and several zip codes such as 30024, 30043, and 30097)
#3 Consider the Reserve at Sugarloaf. We looked there because it was the highest rated and were not disappointed! We paid $855/month for a 2 bedroom and lived in a very nice apartment that was safe and quiet (high quality construction). Plus the part of town was nice (across from the country club where Toni Braxton, Bow Wow and other famous people live)

Good luck!

hey if anyone is looking for a roommate please pm me....

tsazmand said:
hey if anyone is looking for a roommate please pm me....
Tsazmand and any looking for a place to live!
My name is Scott and I will be attending GA-PCOM this Fall. I purchased a three-year old townhome (brick front) exactly 0.4m from school- all righthand turns to get to school- awesome! It is a 2 bed/2.5 bath, 1736 sqft, dual master suites (one would be yours obviously), separate shower and garden tub in both main baths, walk-in closets for both master suites, hardwoods throughout on the main floor, designer paint, chair railings, crown molding, serve-up bar in kitchen and all that fancy stuff. Full alarm system as well if that's an added benefit for you and small, quiet, safe neighborhood. All furniture will be provided for the house (unless you have something you want to bring in) excluding your bedroom of course. In case of any allergies you may have, I do have two small dogs. Email me at [email protected] if you need any pics of the home- I've got plenty. As most med school students, I'll keep it pretty quiet for studying purposes and I keep things clean (especially with this being my first home!). If you do like to have fun (just invision the tv show, "Scrubs"), I can definitely swing that too- but with school first priority. Rent will be around $450/month + your part of utilities.

Sounds like a great deal to me! Wish my wife and I could move in. Someone should jump on that

BMW-

BallGame said:
Tsazmand and any looking for a place to live!
My name is Scott and I will be attending GA-PCOM this Fall. I purchased a three-year old townhome (brick front) exactly 0.4m from school- all righthand turns to get to school- awesome! It is a 2 bed/2.5 bath, 1736 sqft, dual master suites (one would be yours obviously), separate shower and garden tub in both main baths, walk-in closets for both master suites, hardwoods throughout on the main floor, designer paint, chair railings, crown molding, serve-up bar in kitchen and all that fancy stuff. Full alarm system as well if that's an added benefit for you and small, quiet, safe neighborhood. All furniture will be provided for the house (unless you have something you want to bring in) excluding your bedroom of course. In case of any allergies you may have, I do have two small dogs. Email me at [email protected] if you need any pics of the home- I've got plenty. As most med school students, I'll keep it pretty quiet for studying purposes and I keep things clean (especially with this being my first home!). If you do like to have fun (just invision the tv show, "Scrubs"), I can definitely swing that too- but with school first priority. Rent will be around $450/month + your part of utilities.

pinkscrubs said:
Congrats DrGreenEyes on your house purchase! Sounds like fun!

For those of you looking at apartments here is my advice:
#1 DO NOT LIVE AT STERLING RIVERSIDE
#2 check out http://www.apartmentratings.com/ you can get read reviews and get an idea of crime, etc (don't forget you have to search and several zip codes such as 30024, 30043, and 30097)
#3 Consider the Reserve at Sugarloaf. We looked there because it was the highest rated and were not disappointed! We paid $855/month for a 2 bedroom and lived in a very nice apartment that was safe and quiet (high quality construction). Plus the part of town was nice (across from the country club where Toni Braxton, Bow Wow and other famous people live)

Good luck!

Pinkscrubs ain't kidding when she says DO NOT LIVE at Sterling Riverside; she hasn't even started med-school yet and she's learned something new!! I live here now, and am moving to The Preserve when my lease is up - its cheaper, newer and you get coffee/cookies (no laundry or full b'fast like Sugarloaf though). As usual, if you're going to stay at the The Preserve (off of Lawrenceville-Suwanee Rd), mention Sam and Anand and we'll split the referral fee.

We managed to get a two bedroom (~1100 sq.ft.) at the Preserve for $728/m. So, add in utilities (cable/internet, water, elec) and it comes to about $450-$460 per month per person. Oh, its gated. Also, its across the woods from Sterling Riverside, so you can take your pets to their parking lot to "conduct business".

Wow Sam! I haven't seen you this bitter since the Cafe put pork in the soup and said it was Tofu. You could single handedly put Sterling out of business if you try hard enough

BMW-

samdwi said:
Pinkscrubs ain't kidding when she says DO NOT LIVE at Sterling Riverside; she hasn't even started med-school yet and she's learned something new!! I live here now, and am moving to The Preserve when my lease is up - its cheaper, newer and you get coffee/cookies (no laundry or full b'fast like Sugarloaf though). As usual, if you're going to stay at the The Preserve (off of Lawrenceville-Suwanee Rd), mention Sam and Anand and we'll split the referral fee.

We managed to get a two bedroom (~1100 sq.ft.) at the Preserve for $728/m. So, add in utilities (cable/internet, water, elec) and it comes to about $450-$460 per month per person. Oh, its gated. Also, its across the woods from Sterling Riverside, so you can take your pets to their parking lot to "conduct business".

BMW19 said:
Wow Sam! I haven't seen you this bitter since the Cafe put pork in the soup and said it was Tofu. You could single handedly put Sterling out of business if you try hard enough

BMW-

Damn straight - you never piss off an Indian and get away with it that easy - there is such a thing as an Indian Mafia - we feed you until you pass-out, then stuff you in the trunk of a Toyota Camry and dump your body at the local immigration office.

"Leave the gun, take the lassi" (I hope somebody will get that last line) ;)

"Leave the gun, take the lassi" (I hope somebody will get that last line) ;)[/QUOTE]

that's pretty funny. It's the Indian Godfather!! Would you like mango or keep it traditional?

Anyways, i like the cannoli the best!! Soy un Siciliano.

Hi guys,

My name is Dana, and I am currently a 1st year at GA-PCOM. I am looking for a third roommate to share a 3 bedroom, 2.5 bath house. The rent is $400/mo, plus 1/3 of the utilities. The other roommate is also a 1st year. I do have a miniature poodle, and we may have another dog soon, so keep that in mind if you are allergic. We don't mind other pets though. The house is about 3.5 miles from the school.

Anyhow, message me if you are interested!

~Dana

snicker1045 said:
Hi guys,

My name is Dana, and I am currently a 1st year at GA-PCOM. I am looking for a third roommate to share a 3 bedroom, 2.5 bath house. The rent is $400/mo, plus 1/3 of the utilities. The other roommate is also a 1st year. I do have a miniature poodle, and we may have another dog soon, so keep that in mind if you are allergic. We don't mind other pets though. The house is about 3.5 miles from the school.

~Dana

Hi, I'm Dana's "other roomate" :laugh: (haha...howdy Dana!). In case you're wondering and couldn't tell by her name, we're both females. We're both 23. We both drive the same brand of car...wow. Anyway, to elaborate on Dana's message (since I know I had these same questions a year ago...), we are both pretty quiet and considerate of "study time." Her poodle is a great little dog who loves to be carried around like a baby. Dana's dad is our landlord so you can trust that any problems get taken care of ASAP. And (huge selling point!) it takes me approx. 6 minutes to get to school in the morning if not stopped by one of the local school buses :thumbdown: .

Hmmm...about me? I love music, traveling, indie films, and I own all 10 seasons of the Friends DVDs (not really important, but some people get a kick out of it). I'm really OCD about doors being locked, so you'll never have to worry about any doors being left unlocked in the house (just ask Dana!). And, though I don't see why it would be an issue, it's been brought up before that I am in fact a vegetarian, but I really don't care what other people eat, so don't worry about me throwing your steaks in the garbage or giving you the evil eye while moo-ing loudly if you eat a hamburger. :D That's all that comes to mind at the moment, but you can message me too if you want to know more.

Oh yeah, a note to the upcoming 1st years: Dana and I take REALLY extensive notes in class. And I think we bought all the books that were required and probably many of the ones that weren't. Just so you know.....

Alysa

hey everyone,

so i was wondering if any 1st years in the emergency med club could give me some info as to what they do, how it is for a D.O. to go into em, usmle vs. comlex, etc etc.

i know i'm jumping the gun a bit, but i thought i'd ask anyway...

thanks guys!!

snicker1045 said:
Hi guys,

~Dana

Yeah, I think I'll take you up on your offer. Now, there are a few things you and your room mate might want to know about me. First of all, I don't like daytime. In fact, I'm a night person. Actually, I hate the sun, I seem to be allergic to it. Also, I am definately not a vegetarian. I like meat...bloody, actually straight raw. And yall don't keep galic around by chance do you? I'm allergic to that too. Now, as far as animals, your pet and mine should get along fabulously. I have a pet bat and a python. They're really friendly and will help out with the mesquito problem. Hey, we don't want West Nile do we?

I'm pretty easy to get along with. I'm sure we'll hit it off. Yall can come to my first chicken sacrifice of the year which I'll hold during the first full moon of school.

The only other thing: I know you only need one other room mate, but my dominatrix hardly counts. She only comes to "spank me good" on the weekends. Let me know what you think!

So far we have had BLS training (although we won't be able to do it for you guys because it has now been integrated into the curriculum for course credit), had a guest speaker who is chief resident of Tampa General's emergency medicine residency and is one of the few DO's in the program. Had a pediatric emergency physcian speak. Our president was a flight paramedic for years so we plan on having some great lectures next year on airway mngmt., trauma and other great "blood and guts" lectures. Yesterday we practiced tracheotomies on each other (just kidding). Seriously we will fill you guys in at orientation about the great plans we have for next year fundraising, ride alongs etc.

We are also the cheapest club on campus being $35 dues for all four years. I highly suggest joining the EM club next yr.if you are even considering EM or IM (both have cross over procedures and knowledge bases).

The EM community is very welcoming to osteopathic physicians. We are usually very good with our hands when it comes to procedures and some EM program directors have even said that they love DO's in their program.

As far as the comlex vs. USMLE that is a hot topic in any club/discussion group. My opinion is that it is a personal decision. If you want to do a residency at Emory you prob. want to take the USMLE, if you don't mind doing an AOA approved residency then you would be fine with just COMLEX. This is just one point of many that is brought up whenever we talk about this. You might need an hour to discuss this at length!! Hope that helped, PM me if you want more info.

BMW-
VP EM interest club
anxiousnadd said:
hey everyone,

so i was wondering if any 1st years in the emergency med club could give me some info as to what they do, how it is for a D.O. to go into em, usmle vs. comlex, etc etc.

i know i'm jumping the gun a bit, but i thought i'd ask anyway...

thanks guys!!

thanks for the info!

even tho i have an EMT-I certificate and have spent some time in the ER, i have to see how my stomach can deal with blood and guts on a regular basis...i havn't had issues yet, but u never know...

also, so some of the "higher tier" EM residency programs dont' discriminate against DOs? not that i wouldnt mind an AOA program, it'd just be nice to have as many options available as possible

GAdoc said:
Yeah, I think I'll take you up on your offer. Now, there are a few things you and your room mate might want to know about me. First of all, I don't like daytime. In fact, I'm a night person. Actually, I hate the sun, I seem to be allergic to it. Also, I am definately not a vegetarian. I like meat...bloody, actually straight raw. And yall don't keep galic around by chance do you? I'm allergic to that too. Now, as far as animals, your pet and mine should get along fabulously. I have a pet bat and a python. They're really friendly and will help out with the mesquito problem. Hey, we don't want West Nile do we?

I'm pretty easy to get along with. I'm sure we'll hit it off. Yall can come to my first chicken sacrifice of the year which I'll hold during the first full moon of school.

The only other thing: I know you only need one other room mate, but my dominatrix hardly counts. She only comes to "spank me good" on the weekends. Let me know what you think!

GAdoc....

I have not said anything to Dana yet, but you are my kind of roomate! Here I am worrying that our new roomie will sleep in a bed rather than a coffin, and will have a pet goldfish instead of a bat. How conventional!! I love bats...I actually have a lot of experience with them as house pets. Do you like all black clothing, because I sure do. It's all I wear. People might think that's odd, but I think it is easy, affordable, and slimming! It'd be awesome fun if we could raid each other's closets and share clothes! Who is your favorite author? Mine is Anne Rice. Her book Interview with the Vampire is flippin sweet. I'm definitely voting you IN as our new housemate.

hahaha...by the way this is all FAKE because I asked Dana if she knew the weirdo that replied to her message about a room for rent. Indeed, she did. It's a good thing too because I was about to call the police, and the local priest. But you had me going for a few minutes there...I can definitely appreciate twisted senses of humor!

Oh yeah, the bat thing wasn't entirely a lie. I actually did live in an old, haunted (yes, haunted. no, I'm not crazy) house in Charleston, SC last year for school, and we had a little (okay, a BIG) bat problem. Bats came in our attic through a small hole and were sleeping there during the day. When my former roomate found the first one hanging upside down from his window, he pretty much flipped out. After that we saw them almost nightly, until we boarded up every inch of that house (it was ~100 years old). Problem solved. Except I'll probably suffer neurological defects or cancer in a few years due to the toxic bat guano...Oh well, this is common in old Charleston houses.

Gotta study...
Later GAdoc!

Anxious,

It is not always about discrimination, (although i'm sure some programs will discrim. no matter what) sometimes they just don't know how to interpret the COMLEX and taking the USMLE just makes their life easier=makes your life easier by getting into the program. Long story short~if you want a "top tier" program take the USMLE....

BMW-

anxiousnadd said:
thanks for the info!

even tho i have an EMT-I certificate and have spent some time in the ER, i have to see how my stomach can deal with blood and guts on a regular basis...i havn't had issues yet, but u never know...

also, so some of the "higher tier" EM residency programs dont' discriminate against DOs? not that i wouldnt mind an AOA program, it'd just be nice to have as many options available as possible

bjsunny said:
GAdoc....

I have not said anything to Dana yet, but you are my kind of roomate! Here I am worrying that our new roomie will sleep in a bed rather than a coffin, and will have a pet goldfish instead of a bat. How conventional!! I love bats...I actually have a lot of experience with them as house pets. Do you like all black clothing, because I sure do. It's all I wear. People might think that's odd, but I think it is easy, affordable, and slimming! It'd be awesome fun if we could raid each other's closets and share clothes! Who is your favorite author? Mine is Anne Rice. Her book Interview with the Vampire is flippin sweet. I'm definitely voting you IN as our new housemate.

Ha, Ha....Dana set herself up for that one. You see, Dana and I go way back. Ask her about our Beta Club trip to Washington D.C. Until that time I think I held the record for being the only guy in 7th grade she hadn't "dated" (if you can call it that in 7th grade). We even kissed on the bus! I remember feeling really rebellious about that, since PDAs were strictly prohibited. Then, of course, we bugged the crap out of each other through high school. But our dad's are close (both involved in local politics) and we were in the same church youth group (though sleep seemed more important to Dana than Sunday School). Ha, she's going to kill me for telling all this. But if we're going to be classmates again, we'll all be getting pretty comfortable with each other anyway.

By the way, I'm actually married to an amazing woman who was actually my high school sweetheart. So, I'm afraid we will be unable to share a house with you guys!

Adam

hahaha...by the way this is all FAKE because I asked Dana if she knew the weirdo that replied to her message about a room for rent. Indeed, she did. It's a good thing too because I was about to call the police, and the local priest. But you had me going for a few minutes there...I can definitely appreciate twisted senses of humor!

Oh yeah, the bat thing wasn't entirely a lie. I actually did live in an old, haunted (yes, haunted. no, I'm not crazy) house in Charleston, SC last year for school, and we had a little (okay, a BIG) bat problem. Bats came in our attic through a small hole and were sleeping there during the day. When my former roomate found the first one hanging upside down from his window, he pretty much flipped out. After that we saw them almost nightly, until we boarded up every inch of that house (it was ~100 years old). Problem solved. Except I'll probably suffer neurological defects or cancer in a few years due to the toxic bat guano...Oh well, this is common in old Charleston houses.

Gotta study...
Later GAdoc!

Ha, Ha....Dana set herself up for that one. You see, Dana and I go way back. Ask her about our Beta Club trip to Washington D.C. Until that time I think I held the record for being the only guy in 7th grade she hadn't "dated" (if you can call it that in 7th grade). We even kissed on the bus! I remember feeling really rebellious about that, since PDAs were strictly prohibited. Then, of course, we bugged the crap out of each other through high school. But our dad's are close (both involved in local politics) and we were in the same church youth group (though sleep seemed more important to Dana than Sunday School). Ha, she's going to kill me for telling all this. But if we're going to be classmates again, we'll all be getting pretty comfortable with each other anyway.

By the way, I'm actually married to an amazing woman who was actually my high school sweetheart. So, I'm afraid we will be unable to share a house with you guys!

Adam

GAdoc said:

Adam

Adam Land... You are SO dead ;) ... Ok, well, not really... but I can't believe you told all of that! Can't wait to see you in the fall!
~Dana

snicker1045 said:
Adam Land... You are SO dead ;) ... Ok, well, not really... but I can't believe you told all of that! Can't wait to see you in the fall!
~Dana

Please tell more though. I can't believe Dana ever kissed a boy. She is far too sweet and innocent to have done that. (Bryan)

Sorry Bryan, tmi I guess. Don't want to make any enemies before I even make many friends!