This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

plantmom1004

Reaction score
I graduated from undergrad this May, and I will be applying to medical school next summer. I am taking my MCAT this August and so far I've been averaging around 510.
I am at a huge crossroads on what to do this next year. I graduated from a top 30 college with 3.59 cGPA, 3.4 sGPA with good LOR's, wet lab and clinical research, 2nd author publication, and club leadership. I also have pretty good upward trend with a 3.8 this past semester.

I have been accepted to a few SMP's such as Georgetown, BU MAMS, and Duke; however, I am worried since SMP's are super expensive. I personally think my stats are too low for most medical schools but slightly high for SMP's. What are my chances at getting accepted to medical school with and without an SMP? Does it look bad if I do an SMP with my stats? Am I better off studying for my MCAT and doing research?

Thank you so much! Any feedback is helpful :).

Members don't see this ad.

Get as many opinions as you can, but you are right on the top of the bell curve of getting in. Your LizzyM puts you at a 52% chance of acceptance assuming the 510. If you think you have a strong LOR and ECs (which it sounds like) and you think you can pick up a couple more points I would say let the MCAT ride and apply!

David D, MD - USMLE and MCAT Tutor
Med School Tutors

I agree with David. I would not pursue an SMP without having an unsuccessful application cycle. What is your state of residence? This could be a big factor in your odds of an acceptance.