This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Gas or Rads

• Rads

• Gas

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

deleted957248

I was really trying to get more information to make a decision between either of these two. I am a USMD newer med school; step 1 234, clinical grades have all been pass. I've talked to a PDs who have said that my step score was within range. According to Freida, rads average step scores seem to be in that range. Gas is also competitive, but has more spots. I love anatomy, can tolerate pharm and physio. I love procedures, and fellowship options of gas, but can't overlook the lifestyle to salary advantage of radiology.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
As someone who was in this exact position last year and ended up picking neither one, I suggest getting exposure to both fields any way you can as soon as you can

Reactions: 1 users
I’m not in gas or rads but you mentioned lifestyle in rads. During my rotation, they explained how because you were 100% on 100% of the time when reading, and the fact that the radiologist is expected to look at everything, people wouldn’t pick up weekends for $7-9000. If multiple people in the specialty say “I’m not working two extra days for $4500 each,” I have a hard time believing it is a lifestyle specialty.

Just what I saw and some food for thought.

Members don't see this ad :)
As someone who was in this exact position last year and ended up picking neither one, I suggest getting exposure to both fields any way you can as soon as you can

what did you pick?

I was really trying to get more information to make a decision between either of these two. I am a USMD newer med school; step 1 224, clinical grades have all been pass. I've talked to a Rads PDs who have said that my step score was within range (despite the fact that it is clearly low). According to Freida, rads average step scores seem to be in that range. Gas is also competitive, but has more spots. I love anatomy, can tolerate pharm and physio. I love procedures, and fellowship options of gas, but can't overlook the lifestyle to salary advantage of radiology. Anyone know anything about which it makes more sense for me to apply to or any other factors that can distinguish between these two (i.e. future of both: CRNAs in gas vs. AI in rads).
Yeah idk how to interpret charting outcomes well enough to know if you are competitive, but I'm sure that PD is right and if so I would spend some time on a career exploration or shadowing rads. Seems like a pretty great field.

I’m not in gas or rads but you mentioned lifestyle in rads. During my rotation, they explained how because you were 100% on 100% of the time when reading, and the fact that the radiologist is expected to look at everything, people wouldn’t pick up weekends for $7-9000. If multiple people in the specialty say “I’m not working two extra days for $4500 each,” I have a hard time believing it is a lifestyle specialty.

Just what I saw and some food for thought.

I think you're confusing work intensity with work-life balance. Just because the work is 100% while you're working doesn't mean the time off isn't great.

Reactions: 1 user
Hard to predict the future. but as of now I'm a radiologist and overall pretty happy. There are many different types of practices, currently in a "lifestyle" private practice where we average about 3.5 days/week of work with reasonable volume. Not killing it financially but doing well enough. I've worked in other high volume practices that make about twice as much as I currently do but very high stress level. Main issue with gas is mid-levels and corporate take-over. This are certainly issues with radiology but less so (at this time).

Reactions: 3 users
Hard to predict the future. but as of now I'm a radiologist and overall pretty happy. There are many different types of practices, currently in a "lifestyle" private practice where we average about 3.5 days/week of work with reasonable volume. Not killing it financially but doing well enough. I've worked in other high volume practices that make about twice as much as I currently do but very high stress level. Main issue with gas is mid-levels and corporate take-over. This are certainly issues with radiology but less so (at this time).
100s of times repeated in this forums, but what's your take on AI since I am guessing that is what you mean with radiology doing well "at this time". If not, what are the other issues and would you recommend students go into the field.

I would argue that the lifestyle to salary advantage of radiology is not that much greater than anesthesiology. IMO whatever you like or tolerate more should be the one you go into.

Main issue with gas is mid-levels and corporate take-over. This are certainly issues with radiology but less so (at this time).

Corporate takeover is the more ominous issue for anesthesia. CRNAs have been around decades. In the past, many anesthesiologists employed CRNAs and made money off their labor. Now anesthesia management companies employ both anesthesiologists and CRNAs and make money off their labor.

Reactions: 3 users
100s of times repeated in this forums, but what's your take on AI since I am guessing that is what you mean with radiology doing well "at this time". If not, what are the other issues and would you recommend students go into the field.

I was actually referring to corporate take over, think its more of a threat than AI at this time. You have large private groups selling out to corporate groups at an alarming rate. Typically it seems it's the senior partners that have one foot out the door that are willing to sell out. These corporate outfits take a cut of your fees to make a profit.

AI will likely affect radiology at some point but I suspect this will happen when we have AI flying planes, AI handling orders at Starbucks, and AI performing triage at an ER etc. Also I don't see AI replacing me for breast biopsies and other light IR anytime soon.

Between gas and rads, I think it's a wash. In general neither field has control over bringing in business (patients) to a hospital which is a major disadvantage. Rads doesn't have significant encroachment from midlevels at this point but think some are trying to make this happen. Larger issues pertain to healthcare in general (signal payor etc). Some clinicians will have the option of opting out and only take cash. Rads and gas do not have that luxury.

Reactions: 1 users
I would argue that the lifestyle to salary advantage of radiology is not that much greater than anesthesiology. IMO whatever you like or tolerate more should be the one you go into.

Agree that one should go with the field that is more tolerable or enjoyable. Problem is that a field that one may truly like may only offer cr*ppy jobs for various reasons. I graduated into a horrendous job market and despised my 1st job and radiology as a result. Market bounced back and its night and day with respect to job quality and satisfaction. Who knows how long this will last.

Are you aware of some of general sense of the ranges in the salaries between gas and rads? Seems like gas is more physically taxing work for the same pay as a more comfortable rads life. However I really want to make sure I am competitive for rads programs, otherwise taking that leap of faith into a specialty that is becoming increasingly competitive (most recent avg rads step 1: 240) seems like big risk given my current stats.

AI vs midlevel encrochment
Future vs present

Are you aware of some of general sense of the ranges in the salaries between gas and rads? Seems like gas is more physically taxing work for the same pay as a more comfortable rads life. However I really want to make sure I am competitive for rads programs, otherwise taking that leap of faith into a specialty that is becoming increasingly competitive (most recent avg rads step 1: 240) seems like big risk given my current stats.

Think rads may be slightly higher (10-15%?) but don't think this small difference should drive your decision. Think about your day to day routine and what is more desirable/tolerable to you. Also keep in mind, vast majority of rads do a fellowship so you're looking at 6 years of training versus 4/5.

I matched in 2007 so I am unaware of current competitiveness but you should consider doing away rotations at 2-3 places where you have a shot to match at. I wasn't a superstar or anything and landed a spot at a mid-tier community program in a fairly competitive geographic area. You can also apply to both gas and rads and see what happens

Status
Not open for further replies.