Gay Pre-Med Students - UNITE!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
:troll:

Members don't see this ad.

On behalf of straight people that DON'T believe whatever someone else tells us to believe I would like to apologize for the likes of GomerPyle and his hate-filled BS.

It scares the hell out of me that people like him not only exist, they think they are justified in passing judgement on the rest of the world :bang:

Members don't see this ad :)
Wow, came on this thread to check out helpful LGBT information and unsurprisingly the thread was ruined by homophobic douche bags masquerading behind faulty "logic" and pseudo-indifference. Wow.

Wow, came on this thread to check out helpful LGBT information and unsurprisingly the thread was ruined by homophobic douche bags masquerading behind faulty "logic" and pseudo-indifference. Wow.

SDN will always have those types. Best advice I've gotten was to request an LGBT host as frequently as possible and be as straightforward as possible in asking questions about queer life at med school.

Lol what? I don't mind gay people - I actually think a lot of them are cool, funny, nice people. I even have a few gay friends that I play volleyball with.

But yes, I do not agree with their sexual preferences. I just don't think its "right". And bringing up your sexual choices, and relating it to premed/medical school, is just beyond me. It almost feels like that the only reason this thread was made was so some of you can make gay relations with each other. Why bring it up? Your in medical school - a med student, just like everybody else. There is no need to differentiate yourselves even more. Just fit in (its easy, don't wear short-shorts and/or walk like a ditz), do your studies, and deal with your sexuality with people outside class.

I would imagine LGBT people would bring it up and join LGBT clubs in medical school for the same reason people join Christian Medical Associations, Islamic Medical Associations, etc. Common interests/situations with which people can form a sense of community with many of their peers which makes the medical school journey less stressful and more enjoyable for all involved.

IF you get into medical school and become a doctor one day, "ignoring the issue" may not be a good approach when working with LGBT patients. As mentioned before, there are health disparities that you must take into consideration...

Well on the bright side for every ignorant turdbucket there are some of us who can manage talking about sensitive issues with people who identify with the LGBTQ...QIcantkeepupthesedays.

There was a really nice seminar posted on the penn state website where a professor of family medicine from Jefferson spoke about issues in the LGBTQ community and how to approach it, but I can't find it anymore.

Well on the bright side for every ignorant turdbucket there are some of us who can manage talking about sensitive issues with people who identify with the LGBTQ...QIcantkeepupthesedays.

There was a really nice seminar posted on the penn state website where a professor of family medicine from Jefferson spoke about issues in the LGBTQ community and how to approach it, but I can't find it anymore.

Bummer. I would have liked to see it.

Bummer. I would have liked to see it.

Apparently they re-did the entire website and the link that I posted to my post-bacc program in May is now b0rked. Searching on the new website yielded nothing and I can't remember the name of the family med professor from Jefferson doh.

Sollies. :(

Several posts in this thread have been reported to the moderator staff.

Walking into a thread that is aimed at a specific group of users and posting only to actively antagonize them is, by definition, trolling:

SDN Terms of Service said:
Trolling
The term troll is a slang term used to describe a number of things, traditionally it refers to a person who posts items intended to incite controversy or conflict... A troll's primary incentive is the incitement of conflict. Trolls often resort to verbal abuse, making inflammatory remarks maligning the motivation of other guests.

Please be aware that posting anti-LGBT remarks for the sole purpose of antagonizing other members will be treated as trolling and subject to warnings, infractions, post holds, and bans as necessary. Furthermore, debating whether or not there is anything ethically wrong with being LGBT is outside the scope of this forum and should be discussed elsewhere.

Trolling
The term troll is a slang term used to describe a number of things, traditionally it refers to a person who posts items intended to incite controversy or conflict... A troll’s primary incentive is the incitement of conflict. Trolls often resort to verbal abuse, making inflammatory remarks maligning the motivation of other guests.

I think the OP of this thread is likely a troll... The original post and title of this thread are a total open invite for trolling, just as "Republican white-male premeds from wealth families -- Unite!" would surely draw controversy or conflict despite the fact that there may be a legitimate reason for the creation of the group. I bet if the thread was titled "LGBTQ experience in med school" and the original post was something like "What is the LGBTQ experience in medical school and please post resources in reference to the LGBTQ experience" there would be few if any trolling comments.

I repeat :troll::troll::troll:

Lol what? I don't mind gay people - I actually think a lot of them are cool, funny, nice people. I even have a few gay friends that I play volleyball with.

But yes, I do not agree with their sexual preferences. I just don't think its "right". And bringing up your sexual choices, and relating it to premed/medical school, is just beyond me. It almost feels like that the only reason this thread was made was so some of you can make gay relations with each other. Why bring it up? Your in medical school - a med student, just like everybody else. There is no need to differentiate yourselves even more. Just fit in (its easy, don't wear short-shorts and/or walk like a ditz), do your studies, and deal with your sexuality with people outside class.

There are so many things that is wrong with this post I can't even begin.

Yes, we get involve with clubs/communities because we want to connect with other LGBT folks and have relations with people who are going through the same things, share ideas and bond with other LGBT members.

I'm sure you've joined something in your life because you want to be apart of it.

Who am I to say that what your doing is unneeded? You feel that is unneeded to join other LGBT clubs etc. Who am I to say you're wrong and that it's not "right" for wanting to be apart of a club or community?

I feel like I'm beating a dead horse. NOT EVERY LGBT PERSON walks around with short-shorts, ditzy, talk with a lisp, call each other "girlllll", all want to be male or female, we don't want to sleep with straight people, we're not pedos and all the other STUPID stereotypes, the narrow minded society place on us.

I think the OP of this thread is likely a troll... The original post and title of this thread are a total open invite for trolling, just as "Republican white-male premeds from wealth families -- Unite!" would surely draw controversy or conflict despite the fact that there may be a legitimate reason for the creation of the group. I bet if the thread was titled "LGBTQ experience in med school" and the original post was something like "What is the LGBTQ experience in medical school and please post resources in reference to the LGBTQ experience" there would be few if any trolling comments.

I repeat :troll::troll::troll:

No, people should NOT troll period! No matter what the title says people shouldn't go around and F**king it up. It's inevitable, but people shouldn't do it.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would imagine LGBT people would bring it up and join LGBT clubs in medical school for the same reason people join Christian Medical Associations, Islamic Medical Associations, etc. Common interests/situations with which people can form a sense of community with many of their peers which makes the medical school journey less stressful and more enjoyable for all involved.

Strong comparison between religious/ethnic groups and gay power groups (not srs).

There are so many things that is wrong with this post I can't even begin.

Yes, we get involve with clubs/communities because we want to connect with other LGBT folks and have relations with people who are going through the same things, share ideas and bond with other LGBT members.

I'm sure you've joined something in your life because you want to be apart of it.

Who am I to say that what your doing is unneeded? You feel that is unneeded to join other LGBT clubs etc. Who am I to say you're wrong and that it's not "right" for wanting to be apart of a club or community?

I feel like I'm beating a dead horse. NOT EVERY LGBT PERSON walks around with short-shorts, ditzy, talk with a lisp, call each other "girlllll", all want to be male or female, we don't want to sleep with straight people, we're not pedos and all the other STUPID stereotypes, the narrow minded society place on us.
You can honestly do whatever you want. I dont give a ****. Some of us have more important priorities in medical school, like becoming the best doctor we can possibly be...not how we are going to fit in with other students based on sexual preferences. Keep that shi* to yourselves, and express your sexual needs outside of medical school. That is ALL I AM SAYING. This thread is the worst thread in history, and is just an act of attention and improper differentiation between med. students.

Several posts in this thread have been reported to the moderator staff.

Walking into a thread that is aimed at a specific group of users and posting only to actively antagonize them is, by definition, trolling:

Please be aware that posting anti-LGBT remarks for the sole purpose of antagonizing other members will be treated as trolling and subject to warnings, infractions, post holds, and bans as necessary. Furthermore, debating whether or not there is anything ethically wrong with being LGBT is outside the scope of this forum and should be discussed elsewhere.

I am not wrong for expressing my views on how the people in this thread are discussing "gay med schools" and forming their own "gay groups" in medical school. I have the right to state my own opinion (and yes, I am sorry for my previous accusations which were over the top). I respect a lot of gay's. I have gay friends. But I do not respect the way these med. students are trying to make their sexual preferences heard in medical school.

You can honestly do whatever you want. I dont give a ****. Some of us have more important priorities in medical school, like becoming the best doctor we can possibly be...not how we are going to fit in with other students based on sexual preferences. Keep that shi* to yourselves, and express your sexual needs outside of medical school. That is ALL I AM SAYING. This thread is the worst thread in history, and is just an act of attention and improper differentiation between med. students.

y yu madd brah? :laugh:
You obviously care that's why your so mad :rolleyes:

I hope you do stick to that mind set of your when you get to med school ok, be the best doctor you can be and don't get involve with things to fit in with others or find your niche because your priority is to be the best doctor you can be :rolleyes: your environment and social skills will not be affected by that;)

Sexual orientation isn't a "choice" really. Therefore, "sexual preferences" is not the most accurate description. Using the appropriate vocabulary will help you become the best doctor you can be. Making rude and offensive statements only makes you look like a bigot and bigots don't make "great" doctors, IMHO.

Sexual orientation isn't a "choice" really. Therefore, "sexual preferences" is not the most accurate description. Using the appropriate vocabulary will help you become the best doctor you can be. Making rude and offensive statements only makes you look like a bigot and bigots don't make "great" doctors, IMHO.

Saw this term used by a few schools in the MSAR. Needless to say I didn't apply to them.

y yu madd brah? :laugh:
You obviously care that's why your so mad :rolleyes:

I hope you do stick to that mind set of your when you get to med school ok, be the best doctor you can be and don't get involve with things to fit in with others or find your niche because your priority is to be the best doctor you can be :rolleyes: your environment and social skills will not be affected by that;)

Lol if you can't form a niche with fellow med. students (due to your sexuality), then I honestly feel more sorry for you. Now I just can't even imagine how much preference would be given to your homosexual patients over other patients. Strong case.

And yeah, I am done with this pathetic thread. Show you how much I really care...

Strong comparison between religious/ethnic groups and gay power groups (not srs).

Religion is much more of a choice then sexuality is - and religion has also been a cause of much more death and terror (crusades, holocost, etc.)

Religion is much more of a choice then sexuality is - and religion has also been a cause of much more death and terror (crusades, holocost, etc.)

While I am gay and agree religion is a choice, sexuality isn't, the holocaust wasn't a religious thing (Hitler was an atheist).

While I am gay and agree religion is a choice, sexuality isn't, the holocaust wasn't a religious thing (Hitler was an atheist).

Wrong. Hitler was a confessing Christian. Read his books. The holocaust was a very religious cause to him. But you don't have to take my word for it ( cue Reading Rainbow music)

Wrong. Hitler was a confessing Christian. Read his books. The holocaust was a very religious cause to him. But you don't have to take my word for it ( cue Reading Rainbow music)

His public statements and writings were religious but his private thoughts and words confirmed his anti religious attitudes. He planned to destroy Christianity after the war. Religion was the flame he used to ignite support for his cause. Doesn't mean he had any stake in it what-so-ever.

cue the google search

His public statements and writings were religious but his private thoughts and words confirmed his atheist attitudes. He planned to destroy Christianity after the war.

cue the google search

Yes and I am sure you can understand the private thoughts of a dead man. You feel for the old Christian gambit about Hitler. He was anti-evolution as Darwin saw it, was Anti-Freud because his ideas were atheistic, he was anti- Netzsche because his ideas were atheistic. He had every soldier in his army wear belt buckle with the saying God with us on it by his decree. He was given the thumbs up to do what he did by the Catholic church because he returned catholic influence in Germany and what the catholic church hoped would be the world.

There is no evidence that Hitler was an atheist but tons that he was a Christian and believed he was doing what God wanted. So drop your pro Christian hitler was an athiest websites and try history. Just read a few parts of Mien Kampf.

Yes and I am sure you can understand the private thoughts of a dead man. You feel for the old Christian gambit about Hitler. He was anti-evolution as Darwin saw it, was Anti-Freud because his ideas were atheistic, he was anti- Netzsche because his ideas were atheistic. He had every soldier in his army wear belt buckle with the saying God with us on it by his decree. He was given the thumbs up to do what he did by the Catholic church because he returned catholic influence in Germany and what the catholic church hoped would be the world.

There is no evidence that Hitler was an atheist but tons that he was a Christian and believed he was doing what God wanted. So drop your pro Christian hitler was an athiest websites and try history. Just read a few parts of Mien Kampf.

Atheist was the wrong word to use, but he wasn't a christian. You can't always take what people say and write as fact. Do you really think all the politicians we see today on the news are as religious as they claim to be?

Books by those close to Hitler, like Goebbels diary, say he conveyed anti christian sentiments to them.

O, and btw I was a history minor in college with a focus in 1900's. This isn't coming from conspiracy theory websites.

Last edited:
Atheist was the wrong word to use, but he wasn't a christian. You can't always take what people say and write as fact. Do you really think all the politicians we see today on the news are as religious as they claim to be?

Books by those close to Hitler, like Goebbels diary, say he conveyed anti christian sentiments to them.

O, and btw I was a history minor in college with a focus in 1900's. This isn't coming from conspiracy theory websites.

See here is the problem with Religion in general. When somebody doesn't act the way that those in a religious group feel he or she should act then instantly that person is not or never was a part of that religious system. You may interpret what was in Goebbels Diary as anti- Christian but did Hitler? Did Hitler ever declare he wasn't Christian? Was Hilter excommunicated from the Church? Both answers are no. Oh and btw, I don't care about your appeal to your credintials because your statement is still wrong and is at best based on a feeling that because you feel what Hitler conveyed to Goebbels was anti-Christian. Shoot it could have just been a bad day, I mean he was losing a war, I don't blame him for cursing God after all that. And I am done.

See here is the problem with Religion in general. When somebody doesn't act the way that those in a religious group feel he or she should act then instantly that person is not or never was a part of that religious system. You may interpret what was in Goebbels Diary as anti- Christian but did Hitler? Did Hitler ever declare he wasn't Christian? Was Hilter excommunicated from the Church? Both answers are no. Oh and btw, I don't care about your appeal to your credintials because your statement is still wrong and is at best based on a feeling that because you feel what Hitler conveyed to Goebbels was anti-Christian. Shoot it could have just been a bad day, I mean he was losing a war, I don't blame him for cursing God after all that. And I am done.

Congratulations on being done.

First of all, Mein Kampf, the only book you mention in support of your argument was a propagandist text designed to garner support for Hitler's cause as well as raise money to offset the costs of his trial. Keeping his goal in mind, do you really think he would write anti-christian sentiments in it? Most of Germany were Christians. He was appealing to his base.

Secondly, the few people, not just Goebbels, who actually knew Hitler's true intentions all wrote about it. There diaries and memoirs are easily searchable.

Lastly, many of these sentiments were expressed at the height of his influence in Europe. Cursing God at this time would have been futile because one, he was winning and two, he didn't believe in him. He preferred Asian religions to Christianity because the dedication they instilled in the people towards service to the homeland. There are quotes of Hitler saying we do not want any other god but Germany.

Hitler used christianity as a tool to achieve his own ends. If you want to be taken in by what he said go feel free. A lot of Germany was too.

Eh, are you trying to play the whole "no true Scotsman" thing? I personally think that Hitler was religious, or at least attempted to rationalize his actions and beliefs in a religious fervor. I do however think that he did mix Christianity with the occult and some horrible interpretations of Paganism, so that's why he probably seems less Christian. And I do think that if we asked him what his religious affiliation is he'd answer Christian.
< Not surprising for a German though, they have a very vivid and colorful relationship with the occult and mysticism. >

I think this thread is evidence as to why SDN should re-instate social groups. The gay group wasn't very active but it did have some good information on it and at least didn't serve as an attraction for those with strong personal beliefs that they feel compelled to share with everyone. :rolleyes:

Lol if you can't form a niche with fellow med. students (due to your sexuality), then I honestly feel more sorry for you. Now I just can't even imagine how much preference would be given to your homosexual patients over other patients. Strong case.

And yeah, I am done with this pathetic thread. Show you how much I really care...

Lol u madd Brah, I never said I can't get along with other groups and form niche with other students. You ASSUMED that all I want is to be in my LGBTQ clubs and not reach out. Based on your post, you're ok with any other organization just not gay. You didn't come out and say it, but anybody with half a brain can summarize the hidden message from all your posts.

/Thread

Would you impose the same standard on yourself, a heterosexual male (I am assuming)? Are you OK with never expressing your sexuality - not through actions, spoken word, behavior, appearance - around your classmates? I highly doubt it. If you claim you never bring it up or such, I dare you to pay attention to yourself for a day and see how many "straight" things that you do. If you wouldn't impose that standard on yourself, don't impose it on others.

Homosexuality and bisexuality are not "choices" (do you choose to like women?!). That is a ridiculous and ignorant idea. It shows a complete lack of knowledge and understanding of evolutionary and biological concepts, especially the research currently released today. Sexuality is a complex thing that involves numerous genetic, hormonal and environmental (and when I use that word, to be clear, I do not mean anything relating to childhood experience or any such BS; I mean things closer to what another poster mentioned - environmental toxins and such) factors. Due to that complexity, we don't know exactly what causes homosexuality; but we do know it is not a choice and, not only that, it is seen in countless different species.

You claim to be OK with gay people - to "not mind them" - but your post is drenched with the same ignorance and bigotry that those more vocal in their hate express. When you disagree with their "sexual preferences", you are disagreeing - disapproving - of them as human beings, as there is no choice or say in the matter. That's not being OK with gay people, that's the reason that threads like this are needed, it's the reason why student support groups are needed and its the reason gay activist groups are needed and so vocal. They will, for that matter, be needed until people with your misinformed opinions become aware of the facts or go away.

Gay people should not, I repeat, have to hide their sexuality or keep it hidden until after class. They should be allowed to say they like someone of the same sex and be seen with a person of the same sex that they are dating; they should be allowed to live in a world where they can be open about their sexuality (just as you are about yours) without fear, pain or struggle; they should be allowed to live in a world in which they have completely equal rights, and not the "separate but equal" types, either; they should be allowed to live in a world where they don't have to start topics like this or open support groups, because they would be seen as just another person, not a gay one; they should be allowed, just like any other minority or person, to be accepted, respected, defended and loved; most importantly, they should be allowed to live in a world that does not commit violence, bigotry and harassment against them and lead them to experience years of undeserved depression, anxiety, shame; they should be allowed to live in world that doesn't, by its lack of acceptance, lead them to commit suicide. In other words, they deserve to live in a world that is safe and you, no matter what you may think or claim, are an obstacle in achieving that.

(By the way, I'm straight; but I refuse to be an ignorant and misinformed bigot).

Last edited:
Well, in an attempt to write something useful, I'd like to let the pre-meds know that we've just started up a Gay-Straight Alliance at Baylor. Baylor in general has been fairly gay-friendly for the three years I've been here, but we're just trying to make it even better for future students. :)

Let the adcom know if you'd like to be put in contact with any current gay students for questions! You can also PM me if you have any burning questions.

Well, in an attempt to write something useful, I'd like to let the pre-meds know that we've just started up a Gay-Straight Alliance at Baylor. Baylor in general has been fairly gay-friendly for the three years I've been here, but we're just trying to make it even better for future students. :)

Let the adcom know if you'd like to be put in contact with any current gay students for questions! You can also PM me if you have any burning questions.
:thumbup::thumbup: Awesome :D

Wondering why the same haters here don't harbor the same outrage at this thread:
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=853035

2 guesses why not.

The thread was geared towards heterosexuals who apparently cant get girls and think that will change with an MD behind their name (probably because they are the majority). The same would apply to homosexuals who cant get laid and think they will be able to once they have an MD.

I have no hatred for this thread because other people's sexual orientation has no affect on me or whether or not I like that individual as a person-- I honestly dont give a ****. I do have hatred for the above thread because if you cant talk a girl into liking her, youre not going to get her to like you with an MD... Marry you, take your money, and cheat on you-- perhaps. Anyways, I tried to give useful advice, then expressed my hatred and disdain for the above thread and the OP of that thread. Just so you know, there were 'outraged haters' at that thread too.

There are homosexuals that can't get laid?

:confused:

*sigh*

sorry to bump an older thread, but i think it useful for LGBTQ people applying to med schools. a good friend of mine was kicked out of his home and raped from engaging in risky behavior. My girlfriend at that time and I helped him have a place to stay and helped find support groups in the area. trust me the support groups made a world's difference for em. this helped me work for LGBTQ suicidal youth too and it was really rewarding. Even though I am not gay, I believe that people deserve to have a good and healthy life. he got into med school before me (ill catch up though!) and having an environment where you can accept yourself is crucial. life's too short to bicker about differences, we should accept diversity and enjoy the short time we have (since I am an atheist lol). :)

sorry to bump an older thread, but i think it useful for LGBTQ people applying to med schools. a good friend of mine was kicked out of his home and raped from engaging in risky behavior. My girlfriend at that time and I helped him have a place to stay and helped find support groups in the area. trust me the support groups made a world's difference for em. this helped me work for LGBTQ suicidal youth too and it was really rewarding. Even though I am not gay, I believe that people deserve to have a good and healthy life. he got into med school before me (ill catch up though!) and having an environment where you can accept yourself is crucial. life's too short to bicker about differences, we should accept diversity and enjoy the short time we have (since I am an atheist lol). :)

Holy. That's so depressing and uplifting at the same time. Thank goodness for people like you!

For those who aren't you, I'd just like to mention that you can find support almost anywhere, even places where you wouldn't expect to find it. My highly devout Catholic, immigrant parents LOVE the gays. You'd be surprised how well some people may react.

Also, for those who are out on their applications and have had interviews, have your interviews been focused on LGBT topics? My first one was, and it was at a southern school.

You're a good man!! Good luck into getting in.