Gay Pre-Med Students - UNITE!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Holy. That's so depressing and uplifting at the same time. Thank goodness for people like you!

For those who aren't you, I'd just like to mention that you can find support almost anywhere, even places where you wouldn't expect to find it. My highly devout Catholic, immigrant parents LOVE the gays. You'd be surprised how well some people may react.

Also, for those who are out on their applications and have had interviews, have your interviews been focused on LGBT topics? My first one was, and it was at a southern school.

I've had three interviews, and it was brought up briefly at one but more so the interview could tell me they had LGBT resources at their campus and wanted me to be aware.

Members don't see this ad.

When I came out to my parents they didn't talk to me for 2 years (they are very very conservative). In the last year things have completely changed, they reached out to me and are now completely supportive and in favor of LGBT rights/equality. I'm so happy to have a relationship with them again and still pretty shocked by how far they have come. As an LGBTQ person it's important for me to go to a medical school that is accepting.

When I came out to my parents they didn't talk to me for 2 years (they are very very conservative). In the last year things have completely changed, they reached out to me and are now completely supportive and in favor of LGBT rights/equality. I'm so happy to have a relationship with them again and still pretty shocked by how far they have come. As an LGBTQ person it's important for me to go to a medical school that is accepting.

Good for you and your family. Keep fighting the good fight! :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Guys who wants to join my "Straight Med-Student Club"??

Gimme a break...
09dh.jpg
09ht.jpg
09ax.jpg
09jh.jpg
09bh.jpg

Also, for those who are out on their applications and have had interviews, have your interviews been focused on LGBT topics? My first one was, and it was at a southern school.

For the most part no. When I get some time I am going to allude to my experiences at each school on my MDapps. Some interviews I spent a significant time talking about it while at some it was only briefly mentioned in relation to my activities and others it wasn't mentioned at all. One interviewer spent a long time trying to convince me their city was lgbt friendly(the interviewer was also gay). Apparently this week was LGBT in Healthcare week because at both my Vanderbilt and Emory interviews there were rainbow flags everywhere and posters for talks on health issues associated with being lgbt.

I identify as a trans person, which is really uncommon among pre-meds as far as I can tell, so I wondered if it would turn into a curiosity on the interview trail. I've only had one interview so far at U Chicago. There were three interviews and I only spent an appreciable amount of time talking about LGB & trans medicine issues in one of them.

Also, since I don't see a lot of folks in the medical field who are trans, I was unsure about whether we'd reached the point in history where it was an ok idea to be out about it in my apps. I gambled & now I have 4 interviews. I actually don't think this would have gone over so well as soon as 5 years ago.

I identify as a trans person, which is really uncommon among pre-meds as far as I can tell, so I wondered if it would turn into a curiosity on the interview trail. I've only had one interview so far at U Chicago. There were three interviews and I only spent an appreciable amount of time talking about LGB & trans medicine issues in one of them.

Also, since I don't see a lot of folks in the medical field who are trans, I was unsure about whether we'd reached the point in history where it was an ok idea to be out about it in my apps. I gambled & now I have 4 interviews. I actually don't think this would have gone over so well as soon as 5 years ago.

That's really cool, I was wondering the same thing. Congrats! What speciality are you interested in?

Hey, this is a great thread! For those of you who are "out" on applications, how did you go about doing that? I saw from some earlier posts that a lot of people find mentioning one's sexuality irrelevant or, worse, as a poor attempt at distinguishing oneself. I don't think any of us aim to do that, but I've found that a lot of the volunteering I do is geared toward HIV/AIDS education and support and other issues that either disproportionately affect or are often associated with the LGBTQ community... And have there been any schools people haven't felt comfortable at upon interviewing? Good luck to all of you who are applying this cycle! I'm preparing for the next one.

I think I may write about it in my personal statement, but that's just because I feel as though I need to in order to explain my story. Otherwise, it's kinda obvious from my extracurriculars.

Considering last year's president of the Asian club at my school was a white dude, I think I *will* join a Straight Med-Student Club if somebody made one :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Sure, I'd join a straight med student club. Some of the straight boys are kinda hot, lol.

Hey guys! Just joined SDN and thought I'd revive this thread.

Gay pre-med in Ohio waiting on MCAT scores within the next 48 hours. :/

For sure... I really don't want to have to study anymore. So over it! Haha.

So how is everyone's classes going for spring semester? I just had midterms last week, not too bad but it was a busy week.

Just curious..how can I tell if someone is gay or bisexual just by physical appearances? I can usually tell by the way some people talk, but it's bad to stereotype.

woah didn't even realize this thread existed!

tumblr_mfgplgBluQ1qbq80fo1_400.gif

Just curious..how can I tell if someone is gay or bisexual just by physical appearances? I can usually tell by the way some people talk, but it's bad to stereotype.

The same way you can tell if someone is heterosexual just by physical appearances.

you really think we are gonna give away trade secrets like that?

It's hard. I honestly don't 'look' or 'act' gay and just recently came out to friends and they were all pretty surprised.

Just have to get to know people, unless of course you're at a gay bar.

For sure... I really don't want to have to study anymore. So over it! Haha.

So how is everyone's classes going for spring semester? I just had midterms last week, not too bad but it was a busy week.

I'm on quarter system, so I'm about to get hit in the face with a biochem midterm. It's gonna hurt. Then finals in 3 weeks.
Spring quarter is going to be pretty cush though. My first term in years with no biology or chemistry!

Also, anyone else in this thread apply to the Point Foundation/make it to semifinalist?

Last edited:

Why would you need or want to do this?

Nice! Wish I had a semester with no bio or chem but this semester isn't too bad and it's my last. (WOOHOO!) Just cardio phys. and molecular biology.

I'm gonna finish off my pre-med days with a couple public health classes & medical anthropology.

I'm on quarter system, so I'm about to get hit in the face with a biochem midterm. It's gonna hurt. Then finals in 3 weeks.

Spring quarter is going to be pretty cush though. My first term in years with no biology or chemistry!

Anyone else in the thread apply to the Point Foundation/make it to semifinalist?

Are you a seminfinalist!? :thumbup::highfive::clap:

Probably makes it easier for homo/bisexual people to meet potential partners. For us heteros it's usually safe to assume the people around us are hetero because the majority of people are.

Hoping you gay folks practice safer sex? :)

(no im not gay, just throwing in a friendly reminder due to alarming hiv rates in the gay communities)

(no im not gay, just throwing in a friendly reminder due to alarming hiv rates in the gay communities)

Along this topic, someone at my work today said that heterosexual males can't get HIV/AIDS from women. According to her, all HIV/AIDS positive hetero males got it from a man or their mother during birth.

So you can ask someone on a date without the risk of that awkward moment that you realize the other person is straight. Because sometimes they make that moment as awkward as possible.

And though it's less of an issue these days, "that awkward moment" sometimes meant getting physically attacked, and sometimes still does.

Probably makes it easier for homo/bisexual people to meet potential partners. For us heteros it's usually safe to assume the people around us are hetero because the majority of people are.

Hmm. Fair enough.

I've been with the same person for 5 years, so I forget about trying to meet people. :) I never understand why my friends all want to go out to bars/clubs, and then I remember. Heh, oops.

this is necessary why?

Hmm. Fair enough.

I've been with the same person for 5 years, so I forget about trying to meet people. :) I never understand why my friends all want to go out to bars/clubs, and then I remember. Heh, oops.

Same here. It's nice not having to try and impress women anymore. :love:

So you can ask someone on a date without the risk of that awkward moment that you realize the other person is straight. Because sometimes they make that moment as awkward as possible.

And though it's less of an issue these days, "that awkward moment" sometimes meant getting physically attacked, and sometimes still does.

Story of my undergrad life(before I reached out and went to gay bars and met other gays :p):

Meet cute boy, seems nice and funny, girl passes by us, talks about how smoking hot she is, heart crushed.

If only there was ingrained rainbow stamp on foreheads, that'd make things easier in a regular scenario.

My gf is obsessed with drag queens in this show...I have to say they're pretty awesome!

Along this topic, someone at my work today said that heterosexual males can't get HIV/AIDS from women. According to her, all HIV/AIDS positive hetero males got it from a man or their mother during birth.

Sounds like a ******ed dude.

In the US though, it is rather "easy" to avoid HIV for the *most* part (keyword: most) if you're straight and you stick to certain ethnic groups in terms of partners (heterosexuals only).

Issue with homosexual sex is that anal intercourse is about 15-20 times riskier than vaginal intercourse (unprotected). Risk of a condom break is also higher (significantly). And I do believe the number of average partners for a homosexual man in north america is incredibly high.

Sounds like a ******ed dude.

In the US though, it is rather "easy" to avoid HIV for the *most* part (keyword: most) if you're straight and you stick to certain ethnic groups in terms of partners (heterosexuals only).

Issue with homosexual sex is that anal intercourse is about 15-20 times riskier than vaginal intercourse (unprotected). Risk of a condom break is also higher (significantly). And I do believe the number of average partners for a homosexual man in north america is incredibly high.

You realize that right now there are more straight people having the buttsecks than gay people. Also homosexual sex =/= anal sex.

Sent from my SCH-I405 using SDN Mobile

Hey guys! Just joined SDN and thought I'd revive this thread.

Gay pre-med in Ohio waiting on MCAT scores within the next 48 hours. :/

Way to revive this thread! Good luck with your wait. I'm applying this cycle and my number 1 told me to expect their decision this week. It's going to be a hard week to focus on work. Hopefully we both get some good news.

#firstpost

The waits are so stressful, but at this point I'm more anxious to just know than I am to actually find out my score.

Good luck! :)

The waits are so stressful, but at this point I'm more anxious to just know than I am to actually find out my score.

Good luck! :)

Waiting is the worst part of it all, haha. But I saw on another thread that you're in a 6 year BS/MD program? Curious - do you just need to satisfy a minimum score? I guess that takes a little pressure off, no?

Anyways, good luck!

You realize that right now there are more straight people having the buttsecks than gay people. Also homosexual sex =/= anal sex.

Sent from my SCH-I405 using SDN Mobile

:naughty::naughty:

I would just like to point out how excited I am that there are gay pre-meds (who watch Drag Race hehehe) because for a while I thought I was an anomaly. So I guess there is hope for the future. I wish I had time to really get involved in LGBTQ clubs and things of that nature but I find myself pressed for time. Do you guys generally think that it is helpful to talk about your sexuality and how it has affected your desire to go into medicine and how it has affected your life in general? I know I certainly haven't had it the worst. I still talk to my parents and have some sort of relationship with them (albeit rather shallow) and I wasn't kicked out of the house, but trying to deal with suppressing my sexuality to please my parents certainly has affected my college experience and performance. Suicide attempts and depression aside, I think it has made me a stronger person and I would love to be an example for future LGBTQ youths looking to go into medicine. I'm just excited that I'm turning things around and looking forward to a bright future.

tumblr_minx2cFqAQ1s1nbfmo1_500.gif

Waiting is the worst part of it all, haha. But I saw on another thread that you're in a 6 year BS/MD program? Curious - do you just need to satisfy a minimum score? I guess that takes a little pressure off, no?

Anyways, good luck!

Yeah, I have to score at least an 8 on all three sections which isn't too bad considering the average MCAT score for acceptance into traditional medical school is much higher but I've also had less undergraduate coursework than traditional students so it's still nerve wracking lol.

I would just like to point out how excited I am that there are gay pre-meds (who watch Drag Race hehehe) because for a while I thought I was an anomaly. So I guess there is hope for the future. I wish I had time to really get involved in LGBTQ clubs and things of that nature but I find myself pressed for time. Do you guys generally think that it is helpful to talk about your sexuality and how it has affected your desire to go into medicine and how it has affected your life in general? I know I certainly haven't had it the worst. I still talk to my parents and have some sort of relationship with them (albeit rather shallow) and I wasn't kicked out of the house, but trying to deal with suppressing my sexuality to please my parents certainly has affected my college experience and performance. Suicide attempts and depression aside, I think it has made me a stronger person and I would love to be an example for future LGBTQ youths looking to go into medicine. I'm just excited that I'm turning things around and looking forward to a bright future.

tumblr_minx2cFqAQ1s1nbfmo1_500.gif

Well for what it's worth, I applied last cycle and I was definitely hesitant about bringing up my GLBTQ background. I have a pretty big background in GLBTQ community work and non-profits, etc., and although I included it in my application, I was pretty brief about it. I was afraid of what people might think because you never know, I did not want to rub anyone the wrong way and lessen my chances. Well that didn't work. I got a couple interviews but didn't get in anywhere.

This year, I went with the mentality of screw it, I'm going all out and if they don't like who I am then it's not the place for me. And this time I got accepted. I revamped my whole personal statement and made it a point to bring up my GLTBQ interests during my interviews. I've learned a lot of medical schools don't have much in the humanities department (except Penn State, from my experience) or just GLBTQ health education in general. The reception I got from this cycle was overall awesome and encouraged me to go for my ambitions. I guess my advice would be to stay away from being too personal about your life because you don't want to come off as "hey, I went through this and it sucked" but rather take what you learned and how that will help you be a better physician. It's great to say how your experience has made you more compassionate, empathetic, and you want to be a role model but that's not specific to GLBTQ people. For me, my goals as a future physician was to bring light to GLBTQ health disparities, from increased suicide ideation to respecting someone's preferred gender pronoun to referring to being careful with word choice (e.g. chest exam versus breast exam).

Anyways, this got kind of long but if you want to chat more, PM me or something. Hope this helped! :)

Last edited:
Yeah, I have to score at least an 8 on all three sections which isn't too bad considering the average MCAT score for acceptance into traditional medical school is much higher but I've also had less undergraduate coursework than traditional students so it's still nerve wracking lol.

Hehe, good luck man!
If you've been chosen for that path, it's because you were smart and dedicated enough to compensate for the lost experience, so don't worry - I'm sure you'll rock it :)