Geisinger MBS vs. PCOM MBS 2020

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mili1127

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys! So I recently applied for SMP programs these stat cGPA 2.8, sGPA 2.5, and MCAT 495. I got accepted into Geisinger MBS program in Scranton, PA, which is a 1 year program at an MD school. I also applied to PCOM PA/GA program which provides a certificate after 1 year.

Both schools are criteria for interviews, although PCOM is more forgiving than Geisinger Commonwealth.

I'm looking for advice on which one to attend. I have no preference for MD or DO. Both schools offer MCAT prep which I will most likely utilize and retake the MCAT. Is it more/less beneficial to do a SMP at an MD rather than DO? Also will I have less options with a certificate option rather than degree in biomedical sciences in case I want to work in research?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I would go somewhere that get's you an actual degree. If med school ends up not working out at least you have a MS. There are a lot of other SMP programs that you might want to consider too. I personally would look at ones that have a curriculum that will prepare you for first year of med school, i.e lots of anatomy, and have affiliations with other schools.

Members don't see this ad :)
I honestly think you should do PCOM. Your stats are no where near MD caliber and this way you will only need around 500 to be semi competitive for PCOM. Obviously the higher the better, but it takes more stress off you to perform highly on the MCAT

I would go somewhere that get's you an actual degree. If med school ends up not working out at least you have a MS. There are a lot of other SMP programs that you might want to consider too. I personally would look at ones that have a curriculum that will prepare you for first year of med school, i.e lots of anatomy, and have affiliations with other schools.

That makes sense. PCOM's program has a 2 year option where you get a MS degree after doing a thesis, etc. They both have courses which are theoretically high yield in med school first year.

Hi!
I am currently enrolled in Geisinger's MBS program, graduating this June. If you have any questions about the program I would be willing to answer them. Currently, our classes are online, so I can also speak on how the institution has handled our program regarding the Coronavirus thus far.

Also, if you are planning to live in Scranton for I am looking for an MBS student to sublet my apartment. $675 per month, furniture included.

Reactions: 1 users
I was asked about classroom experiences..I will share my reply below..

Hi!
Honestly, there's a mixture of everything here. You have professors that do the flipped classroom method where you watch video lectures at home and discuss in groups in class, professors that do an in-class lecture, some who focus on details and some who do big picture learning.
There is a lot of material to learn in a short amount of time, so staying on top of everything is so important! This year we had a cheating scandal where there were investigations done and many people left the program because of it so it is very academic heavy but as long as you maintain a 3.3 or above that's considered doing very well.

Another thing we take a Professional Identity Formation Course which is mandatory to complete assignments based on extracurriculars such as volunteering, clinical experiences, leadership roles etc. They put a lot on your plate so you can demonstrate whether or not you can handle it.

Also what they don't really tell you, the guaranteed interview you can qualify for is if you have already taken your MCAT and if you already have a high enough undergrad GPA as well as reaching the GPA requirements for the program.

Reactions: 1 users
Hi guys! So I recently applied for SMP programs these stat cGPA 2.8, sGPA 2.5, and MCAT 495. I got accepted into Geisinger MBS program in Scranton, PA, which is a 1 year program at an MD school. I also applied to PCOM PA/GA program which provides a certificate after 1 year.

Both schools are criteria for interviews, although PCOM is more forgiving than Geisinger Commonwealth.

I'm looking for advice on which one to attend. I have no preference for MD or DO. Both schools offer MCAT prep which I will most likely utilize and retake the MCAT. Is it more/less beneficial to do a SMP at an MD rather than DO? Also will I have less options with a certificate option rather than degree in biomedical sciences in case I want to work in research?

Geisinger Commonwealth MBS program is really rigorous. The fall semester is kind of like a weed out and the students don't have access to the student success center (changed it to where the Medical students only have access to it.) Definitely see if there are other programs you can apply too. You might get calls from students saying that "they are enjoying their time and their experience" but they are literally following a script.

Not close to MD stats, won’t get accepted into the commonwealth medical school, plate DO option if possible