Genetics as a prerequisite for MD school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Should I take Genetics regardless?

• Yes! Be on the safe side

Votes: 17 63.0%
  • No! It is not necessary

Votes: 10 37.0%

• Total voters

chemdoctor

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just wondering if any of you have seen Genetics as a prerequisite for MD schools? I did some research and it looks like it depends on the school so would it be a good idea to take it anyway? I don't have to decide this now, as I will probably be taking Genetics next Fall. Any advice or input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I'd take it to be on the safe side. Many med schools require an advanced biology and will accept Genetics for it.

If you can afford it, get the MSAR. You can go through a bunch of medical school requirements and see which schools require them or not. A few medical schools do require the class. One that I can think of is UC Irvine.

Members don't see this ad :)
Genetics is also a decent sized topic in medical school and it was nice to have a base level of understanding my first semester during our genetics portion.

I know some people disagree with this but I say it's usually best to take classes that sound interesting to you and not worry about preparing for medical school. Genetics would have been moderately helpful for like the first six weeks at my med school (and really only about 10-15% of those first six weeks were pure genetics), and after that I don't think it would really help you much. I'd do what someone else recommended and purchase the MSAR, just in case one of the schools you're interested in requires genetics.

OHSU requires it. If that's a place you happen to want to go, you should take it