Georgetown GEMS 2022-2023

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted1126795

Hi Everyone! Just wanted to start a thread for this year's applicants. Has anyone applied ?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah same...first set of interviews this upcoming Monday so I'm getting a wee bit nervous

Youre not the only one. I was telling another applicant one of my professors completely disregarded instructions when submitting my recommendation. Im not holding my breath on this one. Your girl is straight up tired.

Got an email with some updates. First interview dates for selected will be the 25th-26th. Fingers crossed !

I feel you on the tiredness though, first AMCAS and now this...I need a long nap...or vacation....or both

Reactions: 1 user
I received an interview invite last night. I was literally shaking. I couldn't believe it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Members don't see this ad :)
No, not yet. I need to get on that ASAP. I wonder what their fafsa code is. I need to dig around and find out.

People who have gotten interviews, what day were you complete if you don't mind me asking?

I was complete 4/4, I thought all interviews were given out all on the same day? So if we haven't gotten one we're out of the running? :(

I was complete 4/4, I thought all interviews were given out all on the same day? So if we haven't gotten one we're out of the running? :(
Not at all, I was looking at a few threads from previous years and I think that interviews were given out randomly.

Hey everyone! I got an interview! Hoping to connect with anyone interviewing and maybe see if anyone has heard anything about the interview process. Really excited!

Hi congrats on your interview! When were you complete and when did they contact you?

Thank you! I was marked complete 4/13 and received the email yesterday morning

has anyone received their interview itinerary yet? they said we'd get them by 5 pm today and I still haven't heard back

Same, I emailed and asked. I haven't received one yet !!

Hey y'all! i'm a 1st-year medical student who did GEMS last year.
if you have any questions about the program, let me know!
good luck yall!

Hey y'all! i'm a 1st-year medical student who did GEMS last year.
if you have any questions about the program, let me know!
good luck yall!
Hi! Thanks so much for reaching out to us!

How was your experience in the program? Did you feel well prepared to transition to med school?
If you wouldn't mind answering, how many of you ended up continuing into Georgetown Med?

Hi! Thanks so much for reaching out to us!

How was your experience in the program? Did you feel well prepared to transition to med school?
If you wouldn't mind answering, how many of you ended up continuing into Georgetown Med?
GEMS is a good program for anyone who struggles with learning and studying effectively. That said, I really got to learn about myself, my strengths, weaknesses and what works/what doesn't. and I think I had to figure this out fast because the nature of the program is pretty intense and you feel like you're at the edge all the time. There isn't that many postbacc programs like this where the faculty is very involved in your learning (for example, other programs typically just throws lectures and exams at you). so i felt that their close surveillance and observation played a huge part in navigating through rigorous medical school curriculum. so when i started med school, I had already figured out how I absorb lecture concepts/material best so it didn't really take long time of soul searching to find the best learning method for me--which is what most traditional med students struggle with when they start school.

12 students including myself made it and there are other people who got into different MD schools.

Hi! Has anyone who is interviewing on Monday received their itinerary yet? Just making sure it wasn't a mistake on my end or something

Hi! Has anyone who is interviewing on Monday received their itinerary yet? Just making sure it wasn't a mistake on my end or something
Still haven’t received mine either. Anyone who interviewed last Monday, when did they end up sending the itineraries?

Emailed them this morning and just got it. Hope yours came thru as well. Good luck everyone interviewing this Monday!

I have not stopped refreshing my email all day!

Anyone want to start like a group chat?

Which ever! I would prefer GroupMe or what’s app bc I check those more frequently but I’m open to suggestions !

Ok! I made a group me group. This is the link to join: GroupMe
Please let me know if it doesn't work and I'll fix it! Excited to meet everyone!!!

Reactions: 1 users
Idk if this thread is still active but as a GEMS student how are you able to financially support yourself? My family is low income and I’m first gen so they really won’t understand why I’m not paying for a degree :/ Also it seems like an intensive enough program that you can’t work full time. I’m thinking about applying for this next yr but I’m not sure if it’s worth it for the $

GEMS is a good program for anyone who struggles with learning and studying effectively. That said, I really got to learn about myself, my strengths, weaknesses and what works/what doesn't. and I think I had to figure this out fast because the nature of the program is pretty intense and you feel like you're at the edge all the time. There isn't that many postbacc programs like this where the faculty is very involved in your learning (for example, other programs typically just throws lectures and exams at you). so i felt that their close surveillance and observation played a huge part in navigating through rigorous medical school curriculum. so when i started med school, I had already figured out how I absorb lecture concepts/material best so it didn't really take long time of soul searching to find the best learning method for me--which is what most traditional med students struggle with when they start school.

12 students including myself made it and there are other people who got into different MD schools.
Hi Yoon, I have more questions about your experience. Would you be willing to answer them please. Thank you!