Georgetown SMP application thread for 2018-2019 class

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hi guys! So my application is technically complete, but it's showing as "Incomplete" on the web system. The only thing that is marked as "Not Received" is the transcript of my study abroad experience in Spain. However, as that program was through my home university, there is no transcript for that. Instead, it's reflected on my home university's transcript, as the grades were automatically converted to our grading scale. I emailed them to let them know about it and they emailed me back thanking me for the updates, but my application is still marked incomplete. Should I call? I don't want to come off too pushy but I want this marked under review ASAP. Thanks, everyone!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi guys! So my application is technically complete, but it's showing as "Incomplete" on the web system. The only thing that is marked as "Not Received" is the transcript of my study abroad experience in Spain. However, as that program was through my home university, there is no transcript for that. Instead, it's reflected on my home university's transcript, as the grades were automatically converted to our grading scale. I emailed them to let them know about it and they emailed me back thanking me for the updates, but my application is still marked incomplete. Should I call? I don't want to come off too pushy but I want this marked under review ASAP. Thanks, everyone!
I don’t think you’ll sound pushy if you call them. This stuff is important. They get it. Call them!

accepted to the SMP few weeks ago and then was asked to interview for the med school? probably will turn it down. i think the SMP is better

smooches xo

Members don't see this ad :)
Submitted: 5/2
Verified: 5/8
Admitted: 5/9

Dang that was quick! So Excited!!

how are you guys finding roommates/places to live?
I found a group of guys using the roommates Google Sheets file made available through the google group. We then scoured the internet and found a place about a 10 minute walk from campus.

Reactions: 1 user
3.0 ugpa,501 mcat--retaking but not in time for the july score report...is it too late to apply I know the deadline is 5/20...

3.0 ugpa,501 mcat--retaking but not in time for the july score report...is it too late to apply I know the deadline is 5/20...

Theme of this and other SMP threads: Shoot your shot! What have you got to lose? (aside from a comparatively small amount of money considering tuition is >50k).

Reactions: 1 users
Theme of this and other SMP threads: Shoot your shot! What have you got to lose? (aside from a comparatively small amount of money considering tuition is >50k).
+1

Application under review as of yesterday! Fingers crossed. Every “ding” I hear now my heart stops, even if half the time it’s not Georgetown making a decision but Office Depot telling me that paper is on sale.

Quickie here: Do you think I could email them two updates about me (promotion in lab and new volunteering opportunity) as well as a personal statement? I really don’t care for my AMCAS one looking back, and this one states why I need a Masters program before med school — it also explains my lower grades. It might be too late because it’s under review, but it also might make a difference if they’re on the fence to waitlist me. My stats are so low I’m praying for the waitlist versus rejection so at least I’d have a chance.

Application under review as of yesterday! Fingers crossed. Every “ding” I hear now my heart stops, even if half the time it’s not Georgetown making a decision but Office Depot telling me that paper is on sale.

Quickie here: Do you think I could email them two updates about me (promotion in lab and new volunteering opportunity) as well as a personal statement? I really don’t care for my AMCAS one looking back, and this one states why I need a Masters program before med school — it also explains my lower grades. It might be too late because it’s under review, but it also might make a difference if they’re on the fence to waitlist me. My stats are so low I’m praying for the waitlist versus rejection so at least I’d have a chance.
It doesn’t think it’ll hurt to update them with that information. Not sure about the new personal statement but the other stuff is golden.

Totally update with your new PS if it's truly better than what you had before. And I agree with calvangri.

Members don't see this ad :)

I submitted my acmas primary in addition to a new essay in the essay portion of the online application.

I say do ittttt! GL :)

Having a really hard time choosing between this program and the BU MAMS program. Does anyone have any input/recommendations?

MAMS is better. I know someone who is going to Pitt Med rn who is there solely because of MAMS. I know no one from GU SMP

MAMS is better. I know someone who is going to Pitt Med rn who is there solely because of MAMS. I know no one from GU SMP

Good enough for me! Guess I and others from the Georgetown SMP haven't gotten into medical school. Anecdotes are definitely relevant.

Thanks for the support!

I sent in my updates (my lab hired me & I’m a new pediatric oncology volunteer) as well as my new statement. They really thanked me for sending them these updates. I’m hoping that it will show how serious/interested I am about this program. Being low on stats, I’m really relying on my extracurriculars and letters here so I’m hoping anything can help. Best of luck to everybody! I guess I’ll know in 3 weeks at the most.

I think think both programs are great and this is totally opinion based. I know two people at UNC Chapel Hill Med who completed the program at Georgetown and I know one person who completed the MAMS program and got in nowhere....so I think either program you chose, you have the chance to be successful but also the chance to mess it up. It's all about what you make of it.

I think think both programs are great and this is totally opinion based. I know two people at UNC Chapel Hill Med who completed the program at Georgetown and I know one person who completed the MAMS program and got in nowhere....so I think either program you chose, you have the chance to be successful but also the chance to mess it up. It's all about what you make of it.

Additionally, I got into MAMS myself and turned it down for Georgetown SMP. Definitely think I made the right decision.

I disagree but to each their own. I’m not getting into another pool-like debate.

Good enough for me! Guess I and others from the Georgetown SMP haven't gotten into medical school. Anecdotes are definitely relevant.

After reading that Pool got over a 3.85 GPA on the SMP and was rejected from Georgetown, that scared me far away from applying to this program. Many SMPs limit their class size so that there is a good chance for the successful students to matriculate directly (i know of at least two schools who accept 50% of the SMP class into their own school each year). Georgetown is not only more rigorous than these other schools but also way more expensive. The only (and ONLY) reason I wanted to apply to georgetown specifically is that if i slave away and do well, I am getting IN to Georgetown medical school. After seeing that people with 3.85 get rejected, that really makes me worried. I knew it was a little fishy that they had such a huge smp class size. The reason? It would appear they have little intention of accepting any significant amount of their smp students into their md program. And that is only part of why I am convinced MAMS, Drexel, UC, etc. are better.

Please convince me otherwise so that I feel better about being 80% done with my application and submit and dont feel like Im wasting the $140 .

After reading that Pool got over a 3.85 GPA on the SMP and was rejected from Georgetown, that scared me far away from applying to this program. Many SMPs limit their class size so that there is a good chance for the successful students to matriculate directly (i know of at least two schools who accept 50% of the SMP class into their own school each year). Georgetown is not only more rigorous than these other schools but also way more expensive. The only (and ONLY) reason I wanted to apply to georgetown specifically is that if i slave away and do well, I am getting IN to Georgetown medical school. After seeing that people with 3.85 get rejected, that really makes me worried. And that is only part of why I am convinced MAMS, GW, etc. are better.
Anyone can come on here and present themselves as worthy candidates. I’m sure Mr. Pool isn’t devuldging every detail about his application. He could’ve went into that interview with the same attitude he has on this website, expecting them to hee and haw over him because he did so well in the SMP. Do you think he was going to share that information? He could’ve been oblivious that he may have done that. A skunk doesn’t know they stink. We will never know. GUSOM ADCOMs know and they passed on him. Like @mcb2012 said, every program is going to have successes and failures. If you judge an entire program on two negative accounts, or even scarier, if you choose a program because you heard of a few success stories, you’ll likely to be gravely disappointed. There are 2 programs with guarantees: Drexel and Temple. Tulane has a really high linkage percentage and RFU used to (and may still, program is changing). Other than that, these programs are meant to be last ditch efforts into A school, not THE school. If you have a higher percent chance of getting into medical school without doing one of these programs, do that. But since you’re here, my guess is that you need this. I would just suggest you do a little more research into every program before you make your decision.

accepted to the SMP few weeks ago and then was asked to interview for the med school? probably will turn it down. i think the SMP is better

smooches xo

Please tell me youre kidding. DO THE INTERVIEW. Save $80k and a whole year!

Anyone can come on here and present themselves as worthy candidates. I’m sure Mr. Pool isn’t devuldging every detail about his application. He could’ve went into that interview with the same attitude he has on this website, expecting them to hee and haw over him because he did so well in the SMP. Do you think he was going to share that information? He could’ve been oblivious that he may have done that. A skunk doesn’t know they stink. We will never know. GUSOM ADCOMs know and they passed on him. Like @mcb2012 said, every program is going to have successes and failures. If you judge an entire program on two negative accounts, or even scarier, if you choose a program because you heard of a few success stories, you’ll likely to be gravely disappointed. There are 2 programs with guarantees: Drexel and Temple. Tulane has a really high linkage percentage and RFU used to (and may still, program is changing). Other than that, these programs are meant to be last ditch efforts into A school, not THE school. If you have a higher percent chance of getting into medical school without doing one of these programs, do that. But since you’re here, my guess is that you need this. I would just suggest you do a little more research into every program before you make your decision.

Thanks for the reply. I guess I will apply just because it doesnt hurt too much. Because of its rigor and large class size, I would say this program is mainly meant to show OTHER med schools you are capable of the MD workload. The advantage of similar, but less well known, SMPs is that you get both the proof you can do well in med school and a 50+% chance of getting into their MD program. It's just the extra security that calms me down.

And Pool and others said he wasnt the only 3.85+ SMP GPA to get rejected fron Georgetown. That is why it isn't likely a personality thing, right? Since others also got a rejection..It is so confusing..is it his 3.3 uGPA? Mine is around there too :( Perhaps GUSOM wants to see both strong SMP performance and at least 3.5 uGPA (given they normally take in 3.7+)

Thanks for the reply. I guess I will apply just because it doesnt hurt too much. Because of its rigor and large class size, I would say this program is mainly meant to show OTHER med schools you are capable of the MD workload. The advantage of similar, but less well known, SMPs is that you get both the proof you can do well in med school and a 50+% chance of getting into their MD program. It's just the extra security that calms me down.

And Pool and others said he wasnt the only 3.85+ GPA to get rejected fron Georgetown. It is so confusing..is it his 3.3 uGPA? Mine is around there too :( Perhaps GUSOM wants to see both strong SMP performance and at least 3.5 uGPA (given they normally take in 3.7+)
I totally agree with you that the feeling of being no better off after completing a program like this and accruing all the debt that comes with it is devastating. I’ll admit that when pool got on here to bash the program, I had a heart attack. But then I sought out a bunch of alumni, some that got into GUSOM, some that went to other places. And they all said it was hard but worth it. Their attitude was so different from pool’s that I think that’s what really did him in. Some people just have bad attitudes. We will see this someday when doing clinicals. So I came to the conclusion that there is something that pool either a) messed up and didn’t tell or b) did something he’s oblivious to. And again, I’ve heard of stories where there are 4.0/520 applicants that don’t get into medical school. Just browse SDN or r/premed. You wouldn’t judge every medical school that passed on someone like that as being crap would you? I would think that it would take extremely sucky people to run a program and have no intention to help you but only to take your money. Dr. Mulroney and Amy don’t get paid on commission. This isn’t Wolf of Medical School. I think they genuinely care to help BUT you have to help yourself too. I wouldn’t harass them or the professors if the answers could be easily found elsewhere. Or if you are asked to keep your questions to the end of lecture. Or I wouldn’t complain to them if you didn’t do as well on an exam as you’d like or thought something was unfair. I think if you really work hard, someone will notice and things will work out. That is generally how life works. It has for me anyway.

Last edited by a moderator:
After reading that Pool got over a 3.85 GPA on the SMP and was rejected from Georgetown, that scared me far away from applying to this program. Many SMPs limit their class size so that there is a good chance for the successful students to matriculate directly (i know of at least two schools who accept 50% of the SMP class into their own school each year). Georgetown is not only more rigorous than these other schools but also way more expensive. The only (and ONLY) reason I wanted to apply to georgetown specifically is that if i slave away and do well, I am getting IN to Georgetown medical school. After seeing that people with 3.85 get rejected, that really makes me worried. I knew it was a little fishy that they had such a huge smp class size. The reason? It would appear they have little intention of accepting any significant amount of their smp students into their md program. And that is only part of why I am convinced MAMS, Drexel, UC, etc. are better.

Please convince me otherwise so that I feel better about being 80% done with my application and submit and dont feel like Im wasting the $140 .

Not sure somebody that would speak so poorly about a program that helped them get into medical school out of sheer knee-jerk emotion is the best source.

Firstly, the SMP has ~180 students, and of those roughly 150 apply to GUSOM. Around 75 are given interviews, and ~25-30 are accepted. That's close to a 20% acceptance rate. Know how many applications Georgetown gets per cycle? Over 14,000 for under 200 spots - meaning 14,000 for under 170 spots because of the SMP. I'll let you do the math on the acceptance rate there. GU also is a Jesuit institution, so fitting their mission statement is very important.

Secondly, I know for a fact that BU, which is often done as a 2 year program, accepts a similar percentage from MAMS as GU does from the SMP, but they interview more of their students, meaning it's more competitive with your classmates. I also know somebody that completed the MAMS with over a 3.9 that was waitlisted at both GU and BU.

Lastly, to your point about wanting to see a 3.5+ uGPA - I had a 3.31 cGPA/ 3.19 sGPA, but a strong MCAT, strong clinical experience, and strong ECs. I know of other people that had under a 3.0 uGPA that were accepted. The SMP only takes people that they think can get into medical school - if you're accepted and you put in your time you'll get in.

Take-home: Having a high GPA coming out of the SMP helps tremendously but even with that you need a complete application (MCAT, ECs, etc.) and to perform well in the interview (which based on Pool's attitude here I doubt they did). And even with all of that, not everybody can be accepted. Most students who don't get into GU get in elsewhere, just like Pool did.

Reactions: 1 users
Not sure somebody that would speak so poorly about a program that helped them get into medical school out of sheer knee-jerk emotion is the best source.

Firstly, the SMP has ~180 students, and of those roughly 150 apply to GUSOM. Around 75 are given interviews, and ~25-30 are accepted. That's close to a 20% acceptance rate. Know how many applications Georgetown gets per cycle? Over 14,000 for under 200 spots - meaning 14,000 for under 170 spots because of the SMP. I'll let you do the math on the acceptance rate there. GU also is a Jesuit institution, so fitting their mission statement is very important.

Secondly, I know for a fact that BU, which is often done as a 2 year program, accepts a similar percentage from MAMS as GU does from the SMP, but they interview more of their students, meaning it's more competitive with your classmates. I also know somebody that completed the MAMS with over a 3.9 that was waitlisted at both GU and BU.

Lastly, to your point about wanting to see a 3.5+ uGPA - I had a 3.31 cGPA/ 3.19 sGPA, but a strong MCAT, strong clinical experience, and strong ECs. I know of other people that had under a 3.0 uGPA that were accepted. The SMP only takes people that they think can get into medical school - if you're accepted and you put in your time you'll get in.

Take-home: Having a high GPA coming out of the SMP helps tremendously but even with that you need a complete application (MCAT, ECs, etc.) and to perform well in the interview (which based on Pool's attitude here I doubt they did). And even with all of that, not everybody can be accepted. Most students who don't get into GU get in elsewhere, just like Pool did.

Thank you for your helpful reply! Okay, I'm convinced to apply. :) One thing...about the mission statement "Georgetown is a Catholic and Jesuit, student-centered research university...", will they prefer if I am Catholic? I certainly value all the spiritual values that they mention and respect (charity, respect for all life, live in god's ways), but was born a different religion. Also, I have a 3.0 uGPA and 3.1 sGPA, but very very difficult circumstances involving my mother's health is what contributed to it. She's better now, and although I can demonstrate my mastery of the material on the MCAT (e.g. w/ ~522 practice scores), I can't go back in time and retake those classes. This is where an SMP comes in.

In the meantime, I have a first author publication coming out this summer (5 yrs of research coming together), so hopefully that helps.

Thank you for your helpful reply! Okay, I'm convinced to apply. :) One thing...about the mission statement "Georgetown is a Catholic and Jesuit, student-centered research university...", will they prefer if I am Catholic? I certainly value all the spiritual values that they mention and respect (charity, respect for all life, live in god's ways), but was born a different religion. Also, I have a 3.0 uGPA and 3.1 sGPA, but very very difficult circumstances involving my mother's health is what contributed to it. She's better now, and although I can demonstrate my mastery of the material on the MCAT (e.g. w/ ~522 practice scores), I can't go back in time and retake those classes. This is where an SMP comes in.

In the meantime, I have a first author publication coming out this summer (5 yrs of research coming together), so hopefully that helps.

I don't think they care much about actual religion of applicants, just read up on Cura Personalis and talk about how it fits your ideals with regards to practice as a future physician (if it does). Also practice MCAT scores don't mean anything gotta get that real score. Although if you do score a 510+ I'd say you have a good shot at getting into the SMP.

does this program guarantee an interview with the georgetown med school?

Woah. I am a current SMP at Georgetown and have experienced the EXACT opposite of what "Pool" has said. The information he has posted has been LARGELY subjective. The SMP students are often the students asking the most questions during lecture and are encouraged to ask questions. That email that he posted was from only one instance. There were pharm lectures that we were told we were not going to be tested on but could help us and we were encouraged to go to. It was strictly material that the medical students were being tested on, and that is why the SMP students were asked to save questions for later. Makes a lot of sense to me. Sure, the program is not perfect. No program will be perfect. But saying we were treated as "second-class citizens" is beyond dramatic and inaccurate. Dr. Mulroney responds to emails within minutes to hours; there are office and advising hours held very often; we are emailed and wished good luck before every exam and encouraged to do well every step of the way. Quite frankly, I have never been this nurtured by an advising staff in my life. Yes, a few of the lecture PDFs were late. Big deal.

With that being said, it is absolutely true that if you do very well in the program, you are not guaranteed an interview and/or an acceptance. They tell you from the beginning of the year that it is NOT all about GPA. They take a holistic view of the applicant. Extracurriculars and clinical experience are extremely important if you want a shot at getting into the program.

With regards to Biomedical Career Pathways: This class was NOT only about the Caribbean and DO schools! They are absolutely in no way trying to push their students to just go to these schools. There were presentations from George Washington, Geisinger School of medicine, and other US MD programs that are highly-regarded medical schools. There were presentations from DO and Caribbean schools, too. In my opinion, this is actually a good thing to present to SMPs, as sometimes it should be considered as an option for those who don't want to wait as long to get in or who don't really care about the name of the medical school. This was the EASIEST course to get an A in! It was a GPA booster -- don't know why it was such a big deal. There were like 5 - 7 sessions you had to go to, and if you didn't you could have made it by writing some short paragraph or something.

As @Mancubeagle said earlier, the chances of getting into Georgetown Med out of the SMP are 20X higher than if you were a traditional applicant. This program is not for everyone, and it absolutely can be "risky," considered you're spending 80K on top of what you will be paying for medical school. However, if you do well and apply yourself, it will always benefit you -- whether it be for further application cycles or having that extra year of review for STEP 1. I took the risk and am extremely grateful for this program.

Reactions: 5 users
I just got rejected today. I should have guessed, with my stats.

Time to wait for more rejections to roll in.

I just got rejected today. I should have guessed, with my stats.

Time to wait for more rejections to roll in.
Im sorry :( Have you experienced something detrimental that caused such stats? If you improve your MCAT score, it can go a long way and I wouldn't lose hope.

Did you reach out to Gtown to ask what you could improve upon to get into the SMP next year? I have a pretty low GPA too but I did a lot of repair work to finally get in and my MCAT was pretty good.

I think you meant to reply to wolverinegirl:)

Any idea when financial aid info goes out? I've made several phone calls and sent several emails and basically gotten no information. All anyone tells me is sometime in June.

Any idea when financial aid info goes out? I've made several phone calls and sent several emails and basically gotten no information. All anyone tells me is sometime in June.
I think during an online chat, Amy said end of June. Not 100% though.

I have been regularly checking MyAccess to see whether the financial packet has been posted and as of today the option of checking has disappeared. Has this happened to anyone else?

I have been regularly checking MyAccess to see whether the financial packet has been posted and as of today the option of checking has disappeared. Has this happened to anyone else?
Mine is gone as well. Maybe they’re updating it.

UPDATE: The tab is back. Nothing has been updated.

Last edited by a moderator:
Submitted 1/10/18, completed 2/15/18, still waiting to hear back about acceptance (I know I'm impatient!!). Scores are cGPA 3.53, sGPA 3.50, MCAT 507. Do you guys think my chances are good?
I honestly think you would benefit from a SMP. I just graduated from the Georgetown SMP with stats above yours and was recently accepted to med school. While your stats aren't terrible they are admittedly a bit lower than the average matriculant. I think if you go to the Georgetown SMP and crush the program you will get in no problem!

Also, as a Georgetown Alum feel free to contact me if you need any suggestions. It is a great program and will help you get in if you put in the effort.

Also, as a Georgetown Alum feel free to contact me if you need any suggestions. It is a great program and will help you get in if you put in the effort.
Can I ask if you got into medical school because of the program? Also, did you use Anki?

Hey guys!

Just got accepted to this program, but I was wondering if a current student/alum could advise on costs - how much did you pay outside of the $52k tuition fees? Also, did you have to pay $26k all at once per semester or was there some sort of payment plan? I'm trying to figure out a rough budget... Thanks in advance!

Hey guys!

Just got accepted to this program, but I was wondering if a current student/alum could advise on costs - how much did you pay outside of the $52k tuition fees? Also, did you have to pay $26k all at once per semester or was there some sort of payment plan? I'm trying to figure out a rough budget... Thanks in advance!
stats?

Financial Aid info finally up on MyAccess!