Georgetown SMP application thread for 2018-2019 class

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
The main campus has optional attendance and recorded lectures. That's how it should be done imo. I make my own schedule and I study when I want, where I want.

What is the testing schedule like? Tests every week? And were there cumulative finals?

Members don't see this ad.

What the testing schedule like? Tests every week? And were there cumulative finals?

No, it's every 8-10 weeks generally. You're tested on everything in that time period, nothing more.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
And no cumulative finals?

No. It's a block system. You're tested on everything in that particular block, which lasts 8-10 weeks.

How's the culture/ environment amongst students? Are the faculty and advisors supportive?

How's the culture/ environment amongst students? Are the faculty and advisors supportive?

The students are pretty collaborative. People post study resources on the class fb pretty frequently. They are totally supportive.

I'm going to be starting Habitat for Humanity and am signed up for two days starting next week. Should I wait until after I complete them and sign up for more to let the admissions commitee know or tell them now?

I'm going to be starting Habitat for Humanity and am signed up for two days starting next week. Should I wait until after I complete them and sign up for more to let the admissions commitee know or tell them now?

I would tell them immediately if I was in your position.

Just accepted to med school! Will be withdrawing application. Good luck everyone!

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Having a really hard time choosing between this program and the BU MAMS program. Does anyone have any input/recommendations?

Does anyone know how they decide who goes to Main campus and who goes to Downtown? Is it just first come first serve?

Does anyone know how they decide who goes to Main campus and who goes to Downtown? Is it just first come first serve?

Yeah, I'm pretty sure that's what it is. I remember them saying something along those lines.

Reactions: 1 users
Kind of a totally random question but...do y'all know if the SMPs get to participant in gross? Any dissections? Or is it all just classwork and bookwork?

Kind of a totally random question but...do y'all know if the SMPs get to participant in gross? Any dissections? Or is it all just classwork and bookwork?

We have one to two optional prosections per block in the second semester. So kind of, lol. We see the thorax during third block and the abdomen during fourth block. I think we might get one for the pelvis too, not sure.

Last edited:
Is it true everyone is under consideration for the scholarships? Has anyone gotten any information on them or received any info regarding their financial package ?

Any idea what an average finishing GPA is for this program? I spoke to an admissions officer today who told me he'd love for me to have a 3.6 finishing this program. From what I've read other places, that seems pretty high for this SMP. I'm hoping I'm wrong..

Accepted today! Pretty fast turn around.
Submitted: 4/12
Accepteed: 4/20
Anybody know how long it takes to get the official acceptance after this: "We are delighted to inform you that the Special Masters Program Admissions Committee at Georgetown University has recommended that you be accepted into our graduate program. Once the Graduate School has verified your credentials, they will send you an official acceptance via Apply Yourself."?
Thanks! Pretty excited.

Accepted today! Pretty fast turn around.
Submitted: 4/12
Accepteed: 4/20
Anybody know how long it takes to get the official acceptance after this: "We are delighted to inform you that the Special Masters Program Admissions Committee at Georgetown University has recommended that you be accepted into our graduate program. Once the Graduate School has verified your credentials, they will send you an official acceptance via Apply Yourself."?
Thanks! Pretty excited.
Congratulations! I got the first email 2/27 and then the official decision 3/1!

accepted, but i have a 3.91 uGPA and a 3.90 sGPA...

I thought these programs were just for gap years, but especially designed for med students. I didn't know they were last ditch efforts, that is not how they are advertised online. I want to get a MS during my gap year, instead of pursuing chemistry i thought this would prove my determination. I'm going to decline my offer. Good luck to whoever is not he waiting list.

Yeah. Definitely a good idea. Have you taken your MCAT yet?

Typed on my iPhone

yeah, i didn't take it seriously and got a 501, which is mortifying. Planning on retaking it, however, my family wants me to go to school and get the SMP. Idk, they dont understand that the SMP is worthless for my situation. I also got accepted to UNTHSC SMP, which states like 80% get accepted.

Yeah. They definitely don’t understand. You have a great GPA. Did you talk with Dr. Mulroney from Gtown? I bet she would advise against you attending the program though you were accepted. While people that usually do the program will perform better on an MCAT retake, $80k for MCAT prep is not good. Plus, you have to enter these programs with a “this is my last shot” mentality. You would essentially be shooting your great GPA if you didn’t do very well in this program. I would suggest reading the Kaplan MCAT books like your bible, go to reddit/mcat and find the 300 page psych/soc document from Khan Academy videos, and watch all the Khan lectures. Then I would buy all the AAMC practice material and do that. But don’t save it for the end. Definitely do practice problems while you read and study. People who save it all for the end don’t do as well. You have to practice through the prep. It helps you gauge how you’re doing and helps you track your improvement.

Typed on my iPhone

Reactions: 2 users
Hi guys! I know you’ve probably seen a hundred and one of these, but I thought I would post. I just submitted my app last week (am waiting on one final transcript grade) and was wondering what my chances could be, given that I submitted later on in the cycle and since my stats are low. This is really my last hope. I’d love any feedback.

GPA: u2.7/s2.3
(Significant upward trend senior year)
GRE: 152Q/156V/4.5AW
MCAT: 490 (was not ready to take, will retake)

I have fantastic recommendation letters from a respected MD, Organic Chem PhD, and Neuroscience PhD.

I have advanced research experience in Chemistry, Developmental Psychology, and — most recently and importantly — Surgical.
I’m the President of a volunteer organization, a volunteer EMR, and a volunteer translator for Spanish, as I’m a double major in Spanish and Neuroscience. That’s just a general gist of who I am.

Do you guys think I have a shot or is it a long shot? I’m just in the waiting period right now and I’m trying to be realistic, but me being me, I’m overthinking it. I could really appreciate any advice from those accepted with scores like mine.

Thank you! You guys seem so nice, so maybe by some miracle I’ll get to meet you guys as classmates later this year. If not, I wish you guys all the best!

Hi guys! I know you’ve probably seen a hundred and one of these, but I thought I would post. I just submitted my app last week (am waiting on one final transcript grade) and was wondering what my chances could be, given that I submitted later on in the cycle and since my stats are low. This is really my last hope. I’d love any feedback.

I have fantastic recommendation letters from a respected MD, Organic Chem PhD, and Neuroscience PhD.

I have advanced research experience in Chemistry, Developmental Psychology, and — most recently and importantly — Surgical.
I’m the President of a volunteer organization, a volunteer EMR, and a volunteer translator for Spanish, as I’m a double major in Spanish and Neuroscience. That’s just a general gist of who I am.

Do you guys think I have a shot or is it a long shot? I’m just in the waiting period right now and I’m trying to be realistic, but me being me, I’m overthinking it. I could really appreciate any advice from those accepted with scores like mine.

Thank you! You guys seem so nice, so maybe by some miracle I’ll get to meet you guys as classmates later this year. If not, I wish you guys all the best!
I think you have zero chance of getting in unless you apply. You have a lot going for you in your ECs so you never know. Apply and put your best foot forward. Good luck!

If you want to be treated like a second class citizen, this is the program for you. I hope you enjoy not being able to ask questions during lectures, even though you are literally tested on that material. Straight from the mouth of the passive-aggressive director of the SMP:
C2M631T.png

But I guess it's okay when the meds also ask time-wasting questions, right?
Powerpoints for the corresponding day's lectures are hardly ever uploaded on time for the SMPs - I say this as someone who goes to lecture everyday. Not surprisingly, meds always have their powerpoints uploaded in time for the lecture. Just remember you will always be an afterthought as an SMP student.

Also keep in mind that you have zero input or value as an SMP student. Meds voted whether or not to prepone an exam that was two months away to just one week away. The vote ultimately failed, but SMP students could not vote, even though we have to take that exam too.

Oh - and I hope you enjoy useless classes like "Biomedical Career Pathways," which included mandatory seminars given by foreign medical schools. Why would the Georgetown SMP push students towards the Caribbean? So that they can boast that 85% of students are accepted to "a medical school" within 2 years. The 85% also includes DO schools, which are fine schools; but keep in mind that many of the Georgetown SMP students were competitive for DO even before beginning the program.

You could argue that since I got into a US MD school this cycle, this program works. But in my opinion, any SMP could have put me in that position. There is nothing inherently special about the Georgetown SMP that warrants dealing with the arrogance you will inevitably find there.

I have to respond to this.

I never felt like a second class citizen, ever.

I'm pretty sure the courses we weren't enrolled in weren't directly tested. That honestly doesn't make sense to me. It only hurts the program if things like this weren't made clear. The med students asking questions makes sense because they are actually enrolled in those particular courses. By the way, we have our own pharm/path courses.

I will say that I'm a chronic class non-antendee and I have almost never felt like they took too long to upload PowerPoints. It's only happened a few times to my recollection.

I can't lie, the possibility of the exam being moved up was scary. But the way I look at it is this: we aren't med students. Accordingly, med students have more priviliges by default. It's just the way it is. But this is a tough one, though.

100% agree, Pathways was completely useless and an annoying waste of time. But you will have to deal with B.S. time wasting courses/assignments almost anywhere you go, whether SMP or med school. You can thank the LCME for that.
You definitely have a point there. Those of us that are less aware of the dangers of the Caribbean would be more likely to fall into that trap. But I argue, at this stage, you should be doing your due diligence if you're going to invest four years and $300-$500K in a degree at a place that's much less of a known commodity than an American MD/DO. Yeah, that 85% number definitely includes DO schools.

I never experienced any arrogant behavior from the administration.

With that said, everyone has different experiences, and everyone's experience is valid, for the most part. I say for the most part because if you were a slacker, for example, and you said that they didn't help you succeed, that doesn't make sense. You obviously have to play your part.

Last edited:

I know the minimum GPA is usually 3.0, but they do accept sub-3.0s. These people probably stand out elsewhere in their app. But looking at your sGPA and your MCAT, it does really seem like a long shot. But you honestly never know.

Last edited:
I know the minimum GPA is usually 3.0, but they do accept sub-3.0s. These people probably stand out elsewhere in their app. But looking at your sGPA and your MCAT, it does really seem like a longshot. But you honestly never know.
I’m a sub-3.0 that was accepted. But my ECs and MCAT were strong.

How likely is the chance that you’re rejected from Georgetown School of Medicine after getting 3.9-4.0 GPA in the SMP during the SMP year? I understand that the SMP GPA will never replace uGPA, but I just wanted to know if I still have a shot at the medical school with my sub-3.0 uGPA. All my other stats and ECs are above average. Thanks in advance.

How likely is the chance that you’re rejected from Georgetown School of Medicine after getting 3.9-4.0 GPA in the SMP during the SMP year? I understand that the SMP GPA will never replace uGPA, but I just wanted to know if I still have a shot at the medical school with my sub-3.0 uGPA. All my other stats and ECs are above average. Thanks in advance.
Nothing is guaranteed. That’s all that can be said. Plus, getting a 4.0 in the program is super rare apparently.

I think you definitely have a shot. Last year's class had a few that had a sub-3.0 GPA that are now M1s at Georgetown. Also, people at the top of our class got rejected at Georgetown. I'm assuming that maybe they didn't have the whole package or they weren't the right fit. I don't think anyone can really know for sure.

Kind of a flip flop for this program, but I’ve been out of school for 2 years. I got rejected at the 6 medical schools applied to. I was a very late applicant for medical schools, except for one program that opened as a new program in November which I interviewed at. I took the MCAT the first time and got a 500, took it again and got a 503. After doing a Kaplan summer intensive program. I was still not pleased with my score either time, and thought I would do much better based on my practice exams (513-517 range). My cGPA is a 3.81, 500+ hours community service with 2 university awards, 450 hours of neurology research, 3 Honor societies, taught emergency medicine, taught in underserved schools, medical scribe currently, also worked in healthcare. Some other very strong ECs, for example participated in an organ procurement for a heart transplant.

With all that being said, I feel kind of worthless after being rejected by the one school I really thought I was going to get into. And have been strongly considering doing this program to help me succeed in medical school as well as the step. My worry is this: will medical schools value this with my low MCAT granted I succeed? I really do want to go back to school and having a master’s from Georgetown might be what I need to help me get into a school in Florida. Or should I consider continue working as a medical scribe? I really don’t want to sit down and spend another 1000+ hours studying for the MCAT and not feeling like I’m actually gaining anything worthwhile for myself.

Any and all feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Kind of a flip flop for this program, but I’ve been out of school for 2 years. I got rejected at the 6 medical schools applied to. I was a very late applicant for medical schools, except for one program that opened as a new program in November which I interviewed at. I took the MCAT the first time and got a 500, took it again and got a 503. After doing a Kaplan summer intensive program. I was still not pleased with my score either time, and thought I would do much better based on my practice exams (513-517 range). My cGPA is a 3.81, 500+ hours community service with 2 university awards, 450 hours of neurology research, 3 Honor societies, taught emergency medicine, taught in underserved schools, medical scribe currently, also worked in healthcare. Some other very strong ECs, for example participated in an organ procurement for a heart transplant.

With all that being said, I feel kind of worthless after being rejected by the one school I really thought I was going to get into. And have been strongly considering doing this program to help me succeed in medical school as well as the step. My worry is this: will medical schools value this with my low MCAT granted I succeed? I really do want to go back to school and having a master’s from Georgetown might be what I need to help me get into a school in Florida. Or should I consider continue working as a medical scribe? I really don’t want to sit down and spend another 1000+ hours studying for the MCAT and not feeling like I’m actually gaining anything worthwhile for myself.

To be honest, this program isn't for you. It looks like all you're missing is the MCAT. A tutor might do wonders for you. Also, you should apply to at least 12-15 schools next cycle, in my opinion.

Did you ask the school where you interviewed why you didn’t get in? They would be the best source. I would look into RFU BMS too. Apparently there was a person that got in after that program with a 496 or 497. They said that as long as it’s above a certain threshold and you interview well, you have a good shot at getting into their medical school. But I’m not in medical school so I probably should’ve be divvying out advice. Great ECs btw.

To be honest, this program isn't for you. It looks like all you're missing is the MCAT. A tutor might do wonders for you. Also, you should apply to at least 12-15 schools next cycle, in my opinion.
I did 6 weeks of MCAT camp, but I still didn’t do as well as I wanted. And I only applied to few schools because it was late in the cycle, I was studying for the MCAT all last summer.

Do you think this program will better prepare you for medical school and serve as long term CV booster?

Did you ask the school where you interviewed why you didn’t get in? They would be the best source. I would look into RFU BMS too. Apparently there was a person that got in after that program with a 496 or 497. They said that as long as it’s above a certain threshold and you interview well, you have a good shot at getting into their medical school. But I’m not in medical school so I probably should’ve be divvying out advice. Great ECs btw.
I actually sent admissions a really long email about what will help gain admission at their medical school and others, and am meeting with the assistant dean of admissions to pick his brain about what I should do. If I have to take the MCAT again, okay I will. But I would rather take med school prep and learn something important, than look at some stupid circuits again and apply ohms law. I feel like I check every other box, it’s just the MCAT. But I’m worried because I don’t to suffer on the STEP if I’m truly a crap standardized test taker. So I’m leaning toward doing it because I think it will help prepare me to be solid in medical school and for the step. Thoughts?

I mean this program is extremely expensive just for med school prep... yeah you will probably get a better Mcat score after you finish, but there are cheaper ways to do it. Plus with your MCAT score they’ll advise you to apply after the program which means you’re still 2 years away from medical school at least. I’d buckle in, get a private tutor to go over your study habits and just learn how to take the MCAT. Your gpa clearly shows u have the intellectual ability, you probably just have to learn how to study specifically for this test.

If money isn’t an issue then u should at least go ahead and apply and maybe try to talk to Amy Richards, she’ll give u an honest opinion whether or not she thinks Georgetown’s SMP will help u get into med school or if it’s necessary for u

I actually sent admissions a really long email about what will help gain admission at their medical school and others, and am meeting with the assistant dean of admissions to pick his brain about what I should do. If I have to take the MCAT again, okay I will. But I would rather take med school prep and learn something important, than look at some stupid circuits again and apply ohms law. I feel like I check every other box, it’s just the MCAT. But I’m worried because I don’t to suffer on the STEP if I’m truly a crap standardized test taker. So I’m leaning toward doing it because I think it will help prepare me to be solid in medical school and for the step. Thoughts?
Go to the meeting and then make a decision. It doesn’t hurt to apply to SMPs now before the deadline but I think most will tell you improve your MCAT and you’ll be in good shape. Let’s say you go all out and spend top dollar on a tutor for the MCAT, that’s $15,000 vs $85,000 for medical school prep and no guarantee of even getting into medical school. Why do a program at Gtown with the risk of it all riding on your MCAT retake? That’s $85,000 of added pressure you don’t need. And in terms of circuits and Ohm’s Law, these thing are applicable to the human body ie the cardiovascular system.

I did 6 weeks of MCAT camp, but I still didn’t do as well as I wanted. And I only applied to few schools because it was late in the cycle, I was studying for the MCAT all last summer.

Do you think this program will better prepare you for medical school and serve as long term CV booster?

It will totally prepare you for the preclinical years and it will definitely boost your CV, but it's not worth it just for that. You just have to figure out how to ace the MCAT. I agree with @aeryna

Thank you guys for the feedback. I really do appreciate it.

I think you have zero chance of getting in unless you apply. You have a lot going for you in your ECs so you never know. Apply and put your best foot forward. Good luck!

Thanks a lot for the encouragement! I did apply and my GPA went up since that last class I was waiting on turned out to be an A :)

I really need this program. My GPA needs a lot of work and I’m hoping that they’ll see my upward trend and what my recommenders had to say about me to make a decision. I’m willing to fight like hell for it and work hard if I get in. Either way, one can only hope!

I don't exactly fit your criteria, but: 3.85 SMP GPA, 513 MCAT, 3.31 undergrad GPA. Decent enough service hours + ECs that I was accepted to literally the only other Jesuit-Catholic med school in the US. Rejected by Georgetown today. I talked with three other people with similar stats who were also rejected post-II.

Do you have a shot? Maybe. Should you assume that a strong academic performance and good fit will be a golden ticket to GUSOM? Absolutely not.
Why do you think you got rejected from GUSOM? What was the biggest weakness of your application? Was it little to no research? Little to no clinical experience? I’m just curious since these types of posts aren’t really that helpful and they just seem to stir up the anxieties of an already anxious group. Obviously, this program likely helped you since you were admitted into an MD program. It seems your post was done out of resentment for not getting into GUSOM, but that is purely conjecture.

Reactions: 2 users

Keep in mind that this is only one year of classes, so there is a relatively small amount of credits (32 I believe). One B+ in a 3 credit course has me just under a 3.9 through 3 blocks, and I believe the highest GPA I can finish with is just under a 3.94. So while it is definitely possible, it is very difficult to finish with above a 3.9, and I wouldn't necessarily go into the program expecting to do that (I definitely didn't).

That being said, I know several people with sub-3.0 uGPA that were accepted to great medical schools, not just Georgetown's.

Keep in mind that this is only one year of classes, so there is a relatively small amount of credits (32 I believe). One B+ in a 3 credit course has me just under a 3.9 through 3 blocks, and I believe the highest GPA I can finish with is just under a 3.94. So while it is definitely possible, it is very difficult to finish with above a 3.9, and I wouldn't necessarily go into the program expecting to do that (I definitely didn't).

That being said, I know several people with sub-3.0 uGPA that were accepted to great medical schools, not just Georgetown's.

That is a really impressive GPA, congrats! Gives us a little hope it’s at least achievable.
How did the people with lower GPAs that got accepted to good medical schools do in the program?

Also what is your general opinion of the program so far? Only 2 people who are in it have given us their thoughts as far as I know and it’d be helpful to get as many opinions as possible. Do you feel like there is a collaborative atmosphere among the physios or is it more competitive/everyone does their own thing?

That is a really impressive GPA, congrats! Gives us a little hope it’s at least achievable.
How did the people with lower GPAs that got accepted to good medical schools do in the program?

Also what is your general opinion of the program so far? Only 2 people who are in it have given us their thoughts as far as I know and it’d be helpful to get as many opinions as possible. Do you feel like there is a collaborative atmosphere among the physios or is it more competitive/everyone does their own thing?

Thanks! I got lucky a few times with cutoffs, honestly.

I was nervous at first because of the last resort element/pricetag, but I truly liked the program a lot and doubt I would have been admitted to medical school this year without it. There were a few communication issues regarding exams and assignments that I found frustrating, but nothing that you wouldn't find anywhere else, and there were a lot of things that more than made up for it. Obviously the med students should have higher priority with some things, which I'm sure everybody would feel fine about after transitioning from SMP to M1, but the other poster above claiming that we were treated as second-class citizens was just upset they weren't admitted to Georgetown. Regardless, they were admitted elsewhere, and whether they want to admit it or not, the program helped them get into medical school. Also, the email that they posted was completely reasonable - it was a few classes that the medical students were being tested on and the SMPs weren't. I'm not sure why they would attend in the first place (It's great to learn about topics in more depth, but we have plenty to do/study), let alone ask questions.

With regards to the collaborative atmosphere, absolutely. My interviewer asked the same question because she didn't know, and she loved it because medicine is a team effort. That's why they commonly ask about how you function in a team environment and from a leadership position, and from what I can tell they're trying to get rid of things that gunners can abuse, because everybody helping each other learn is ideal for everybody. People posted apps/resources they found regularly, as well as note sets, organizational tools and lecture calendars they made. And It definitely helps that we aren't necessarily graded against each other - the only thing that's competitive is getting interviews at Georgetown itself, but I didn't see or hear of anybody being anything other than helpful to each other. Also, it was a small thing, but everybody is assigned a "big sib" at the beginning of the year, and being able to text them a question about applications or what to study every once in a while was very helpful.

Anyway hope that helps.

After being accepted, how soon do you have to decide if you want to attend or not?

After being accepted, how soon do you have to decide if you want to attend or not?
Well you have to decide whether you want to pay the $500 nonrefundable deposit before the deadline. You can decide to attend up until the orientation in August. I would ask Amy though to be specific.