Georgetown SMP or Clinical Work Decision

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

utfutmed

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently deciding if I should attend the Georgetown SMP or if I should work for a clinical practice in my gap year after completing my degree. I have a 3.61 GPA, 3.59 science GPA. My main question is: is my GPA too high for an SMP to be really helpful to my application? In the last year and a half of my undergrad career, I took all science courses, receiving all A's except for one B+. So, I already have an upward trend. I wanted to do an SMP because my GPA is still relatively low compared to the admitted GPA average to medical schools. My MCAT is a 506, which is also pretty middle of the road. I am unsure if I should attend the SMP to increase my GPA, or gain more clinical experience and consider retaking the MCAT. Any advice from a position of experience with similar credentials would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Not knocking you, but you should've done a lot more research on this before wasting your time and money applying. SMPs are record enhancer programs designed to help applicants with lower GPAs... period. They are essentially a last chance all your money on red deal.

Would a 4.0 in Georgetown's SMP help you get into an MD school with a 29 MCAT? Probably. Is it worth the risk? Definitely not. Spend the year enhancing your extracurriculars and retake that MCAT after dedicated study time and you will be a shoe in.

Feel free to PM me if you would like more information (I did the Georgetown SMP)

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 user
You are not the type of person SMP's are designed for.