Glasgow?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Kem9987221

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

So I applied to Glasgow for their 5 year program, and I know some people have heard back about interviews, but I still haven't heard anything. At the end of October I had to resend my transcripts because they didn't get there the first time. I feel like i have a good chance of getting in, I am a junior bio major, 3.4 GPA, I have over 600 hours of vet experiance (small animal surgery and lab animal) and I got a reccomendation from a vet I worked with who loves me.

This is the school I really want to go to, and I was wondering if anyone knew anything about their admissions process, is it like a rolling admissions or have they sent out all of their interview invites already?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey all,

So I applied to Glasgow for their 5 year program, and I know some people have heard back about interviews, but I still haven't heard anything. At the end of October I had to resend my transcripts because they didn't get there the first time. I feel like i have a good chance of getting in, I am a junior bio major, 3.4 GPA, I have over 600 hours of vet experiance (small animal surgery and lab animal) and I got a reccomendation from a vet I worked with who loves me.

This is the school I really want to go to, and I was wondering if anyone knew anything about their admissions process, is it like a rolling admissions or have they sent out all of their interview invites already?

Thanks!

Have you heard anything? I'm not sure how the process works but I wish you luck! :)

Hmm may I ask why you are applying a year early? Just curious.

It is not rolling admissions, the apps were due with the other AVMA ones, interview offers tend to happen in November, and the interviews themselves in January/February, but that isn't sent in stone.

If I were you I would e-mail Joyce and ask her where your application stands!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hmm may I ask why you are applying a year early? Just curious.

It is not rolling admissions, the apps were due with the other AVMA ones, interview offers tend to happen in November, and the interviews themselves in January/February, but that isn't sent in stone.

If I were you I would e-mail Joyce and ask her where your application stands!

Thanks for your responce. I am applying early because I really don't like the school that I currently attend and seeing as how I only have two semesters left i can't transfer, so I figured I would try and apply to some of the 5 year programs and see how it works out.

I'll email Joyce and see what is up with my application.

Thanks again

Sorry it took me so long to reply! I haven't been on here much as i've been studying for exams.

If you have other questions please let me know!!!

btw: I meant "set in stone" not sent...my bad

Sorry it took me so long to reply! I haven't been on here much as i've been studying for exams.

If you have other questions please let me know!!!

btw: I meant "set in stone" not sent...my bad

Hello! I'm interviewing with Glasgow in a month and I am super excited since its my first pick school! I have a few questions about Glasgow! :)

1) I got the info packet from Glasgow and it talked about guaranteed housing on campus for first year international students. Do first year student have to live on campus? I didn't quite understand

2) What would you say your average cost of living is per year at Glasgow if you don't mind me asking? I know tuition is around 20,000 euros but it would be nice to get an idea on how much I may need for food, clothes, going out,random junk, etc. Is stuff expensive in Scotland or about average compared to the US?

That's all of my questions.. for now, thanks !:D

Hey Hokiepaws,

I go to Edinburgh, not Glasgow, but we are only 45 min apart. I just wanted to point out that tuition should be in pounds, not euros. Ours here is at 22,200 pounds. I can't speak for Glasgow (altho i think it's about the same, or a bit cheaper), but you can get a flat anywhere from about 300 pounds all the way up to whatever you want to spend. 300 would be sharing with probably 3-4 other people, depending on where you live.

Scotland in general is about the same. Depends on where you are from in the US, but some things are way more expensive (plastic goods, good vodka) and others insanely cheap (spices, veggies,pint of beer). It's all relative with the exchange rate, though. for instance.. a pint of good beer might be 2.25 quid, but in the states it would be 4 dollars....so about the same. Cars are inexpensive to buy but very expensive to drive, park and insure.

I know for our campus housing...it was guaranteed (if you wanted it), but you could certainly live off campus.

sorry I can't speak directly for Glasgow, but maybe Shortnsweet will be back on soon.

Good Luck!

Hey Hokiepaws,

I go to Edinburgh, not Glasgow, but we are only 45 min apart. I just wanted to point out that tuition should be in pounds, not euros. Ours here is at 22,200 pounds. I can't speak for Glasgow (altho i think it's about the same, or a bit cheaper), but you can get a flat anywhere from about 300 pounds all the way up to whatever you want to spend. 300 would be sharing with probably 3-4 other people, depending on where you live.

Scotland in general is about the same. Depends on where you are from in the US, but some things are way more expensive (plastic goods, good vodka) and others insanely cheap (spices, veggies,pint of beer). It's all relative with the exchange rate, though. for instance.. a pint of good beer might be 2.25 quid, but in the states it would be 4 dollars....so about the same. Cars are inexpensive to buy but very expensive to drive, park and insure.

I know for our campus housing...it was guaranteed (if you wanted it), but you could certainly live off campus.

sorry I can't speak directly for Glasgow, but maybe Shortnsweet will be back on soon.

Good Luck!

Hello Hello...i'm back! Flyhi, you know me well..I just can't stay away!!

As Flyhi said, Scotland goes by the GBP, not the Euro, so your exchange rates will work out differently. Each class year pays a set tuition rate per year, and it increases a bit for each graduation year. My class is 18,5 a year, the class under me is 20 or 20,5 a year, I forget. But those rates don't change for all five years you are here.

As for living costs, it depends on where you live. Up in Anniesland it is much cheaper, and you can find flats for around 250-350 per person. Down in the West End they are a little bit more, but on average around 350 per person? Plus utilities and such, which is usually not much more than 50 per month. Like Flyhi said, most things are comparable to living in a US city as far as prices, sometimes slightly more expensive. I have tried to stop thinking in USD so I don't go insane, and think about how much I am paying for a drink...Sorry I cannot give you exact numbers, but if it helps, I pay less on everything together per year in Scotland than I would have OOS at a US school!

As for having to live on campus? Not true. The res halls are spread throughout the city and range from suites to small apartments to single rooms, much like college. They are typically more expensive than private flats, but some people like them for the experience, and to meet new people. A lot of vets live in Wolfson Hall their first year. In the spring a lot of e-mails from upperclassmen go out about rooms for rent in their private accom, so those are a fantastic way to meet people and have a nice place to stay!! Finding your own flat is pretty easy too-- there are tons of agents and ads all over. I much prefer the private accom. route myself :)

Hope that helps!!

Thank you both for answering my questions I really appreciate it and found it extremely helpful! I'm pretty relieved that living off campus is an option if I do get in. I'm a second year graduate student so it's been a long .... time since I've lived in the dorms. I'm pretty social :p lol so I'm not too worried that If I don't live on campus that I won't meet people lol . Also upon further inspection the tuition is 21,00 pounds not 21,00 euros .. oops my bad ! :laugh: But in my defense the symbols look a lot alike, its only a matter of a squiggle and a line that make them different. It does change the price of what I thought tuition would be (slightly more), but I still would pay less than If I go to an out of state school, or even Canada. Also prices seem comparable to what I'm paying now from what you all told me. Once again thanks for all your help!

I have a question about the 5 year program and if any of the current Glasgow students could help me out I would be incredibly grateful.

I know that in Europe the vet programs are 5 years and students usually enter straight from high school (correct?). I am also applying to UC Dublin and they have a special 4 year program designed for oversees applicants who already have an undergraduate degree. I assumed Glasgow did the same.

I am interviewing in Boston on 2/7 and am super excited but the five year program raises a lot of concerns.
-Would I be entering into a class with people who have never had a college science course?
-Would the first year be simply a repeat of my required classes that I have already taken?
-Why do they require that overseas students have at least three years at a college if the program is technically an undergraduate program?
- The fifth year has no lectures, is this year basically the same as when students leave a four year program to do a residency/internship?

I'm sorry if any of these questions seem obvious. I have been trying to find out the answers myself and have not had any luck. I was given a list of emails for current US students studying at Glasgow, but I figured I would give SDN a chance before I email anyone directly.

Thanks!

Okies, let's see what I can answer for you:

I have a question about the 5 year program and if any of the current Glasgow students could help me out I would be incredibly grateful.

I know that in Europe the vet programs are 5 years and students usually enter straight from high school (correct?).Yes!! I am also applying to UC Dublin and they have a special 4 year program designed for oversees applicants who already have an undergraduate degree. I assumed Glasgow did the same. Incorrect, and Dublin's program is newly accredited/very new...their first 4 yr class just entered their second year.

I am interviewing in Boston on 2/7 and am super excited YAY!! but the five year program raises a lot of concerns. It shouldn't!!
-Would I be entering into a class with people who have never had a college science course? Most certainly not!! The UK high school system is very, very different from what you are used to. In their final two years, they choose which route they want to take/what they want to do, and take very specific classes. Think of it as the equivalent of your first two years of college, but they get it in high school. These young adults amaze me every year...they are incredibly smart and driven.
-Would the first year be simply a repeat of my required classes that I have already taken? While some of the information is similar to what you had in undergrad, it is more like a high paced review, and really catches everyone up to speed. And if you don't get the basics drilled into your head, the final years are that much harder! It really helped ease a lot of my class into vet school, and make sure we were all on the same page before continuing. Everyone's background is slightly different!
-Why do they require that overseas students have at least three years at a college if the program is technically an undergraduate program? Like I have indicated above, our high school students would not be ready to meet the demands, because it is more generalized education. The BVMS is equiv. to the DVM, so they just want to make sure you are prepared!!
- The fifth year has no lectures, is this year basically the same as when students leave a four year program to do a residency/internship? 4th and 5th year are the clinical years. They are a mix of lectures and clinics, but yes, 5th year is pretty much the same as 4th year in the states.

I'm sorry if any of these questions seem obvious. I have been trying to find out the answers myself and have not had any luck. I was given a list of emails for current US students studying at Glasgow, but I figured I would give SDN a chance before I email anyone directly.

Thanks!

No worries!! It took me a while to understand the system!! Hope that was sort of helpful??

Hey there! I was chatting with some other pre-vet students about the European schools and heard that at least one of them (either Glasgow or Edinburgh, can't remember which) won't allow you to place the "DVM" behind your name after you graduate. Has anyone heard this? Is this true? I've been trying to look it up online tonight but haven't found anything useful... if anyone can help me out, I would greatly appreciate it! Thanks!

Hey there! I was chatting with some other pre-vet students about the European schools and heard that at least one of them (either Glasgow or Edinburgh, can't remember which) won't allow you to place the "DVM" behind your name after you graduate. Has anyone heard this? Is this true? I've been trying to look it up online tonight but haven't found anything useful... if anyone can help me out, I would greatly appreciate it! Thanks!

It is true. A veterinary degree is a bachelor's degree in many other countries. Don't worry though, it's not like you're going to be discriminated against because of it if you want to return to the US to practice. Especially if it's an AVMA accredited school (which both Glasgow and Edinburgh are), those degrees are as respected as any DVM/VMD by employers. Clients won't even know the difference. Unless you yourself are hoity toity (sp?) and snooty about needing a "doctorate," it shouldn't make a difference. For all intents and purposes, they are equal degrees. Just called different things.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bachelor_of_Veterinary_Science

It is true. A veterinary degree is a bachelor's degree in many other countries. Don't worry though, it's not like you're going to be discriminated against because of it if you want to return to the US to practice. Especially if it's an AVMA accredited school (which both Glasgow and Edinburgh are), those degrees are as respected as any DVM/VMD by employers. Clients won't even know the difference. Unless you yourself are hoity toity (sp?) and snooty about needing a "doctorate," it shouldn't make a difference. For all intents and purposes, they are equal degrees. Just called different things.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bachelor_of_Veterinary_Science

Interesting, thanks for the info :)

What Minnerbelle said. If you work in the UK, you will be Mr/Ms blah blah, BVMS, MRCVS. If you take the NAVLE and practice in the US, you can be Dr. blah blah, BVMS, MRCVS. The degree is equivalent, but you can't just change your letters because you want to be a DVM/VMD.

Take a look at the beginning of lots of major textbooks and boards like the AVMA though...you might be surprised by the amount of doctors with the bachelors behind their name :)

What Minnerbelle said. If you work in the UK, you will be Mr/Ms blah blah, BVMS, MRCVS. If you take the NAVLE and practice in the US, you can be Dr. blah blah, BVMS, MRCVS. The degree is equivalent, but you can't just change your letters because you want to be a DVM/VMD.

Take a look at the beginning of lots of major textbooks and boards like the AVMA though...you might be surprised by the amount of doctors with the bachelors behind their name :)

This is a great point!

I was greatly reassured in applying to UK schools when I looked at faculty lists and found a lot of BVMS degrees! I think the list of vets in the VMSAR has a lot of foreign educated graduates too.

Plus... you'll be a member of the ROYAL college of veterinary surgeons if you graduate from a UK school & take their licensing exam!