Going to a mediocre college?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

xvii

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I plan on becoming a pharmacist and for my 4 years of undergrad study I've been thinking about staying in-state for tuition purposes. I can get into a relatively good college, however the only notable university in my state is University of Nevada--Reno (UNR), ranked #187 in the nation on US News. I performed there about two years ago so I got to see the campus, which is nice, I just feel like I've worked relatively hard throughout high school and now I'm going to some state school. Does it even matter? There's not really any University I would love to attend anyway. Should I feel bad about going to a mediocre college?

Members don't see this ad.

I worked really hard in highschool. Got 3.5 gpa -nights of hard work late nights. It does matter. I didnt want go univ and be part of campus town. Felt stuck to me so i attended community colllege cause i can fullfill prereqs there for pharm. i no do tha again cause i spent 4 years there doing AA/ AS and it was just like highschool: even more close and small minded than highscjool. I felt it lacked so much . I couldnt make that much friends tooo cause people go class and leave. Then i entered UCF and i liked it. I missed out on so much public univ has offer. Networking for businesses pharmacy pre pharm club ex, so many friends, it was a big world and where u felt can be part of system and change not just under a system like small comm college.
Go comm college for first two years can be okay too but go to small college better than comm. Then go university. Cheaper. Takes time to mature but really depend on what u want and how system fits you and yr goals pharm . Remeber do wat makes u happy not what seems right only. Or u regret like me

What are your stats? What qualifies as "relatively good?" I made the explicit decision to apply only to in-state public schools for undergrad to save on costs, which, in hindsight, was a mistake, albeit one that worked out well in the end. Higher tuition for private/out-of-state schools can be outweighed by the increased scholarships and need-based aid they may offer. I'd apply broadly and see what comes of it.

For your question, there's no one-size-fits-all answer; most people would probably say it doesn't matter, and that all you need to do is keep your GPA up and do well on the PCAT. Mostly true, especially since pharmacy schools don't really differentiate too much on the strength of your undergraduate education - moreso the actual numbers. However, I liken college to an idea incubator in which beliefs are exchanged, concepts are born, and worldviews are shaped. A better cohort gives you a better probability of meeting individuals/peers who will help further your self-development. Secondarily, campus recruitment matters for internships and school resources might be important for strength of research. Lastly, you don't really know who the person you'll mature to become in 4 years. Maybe you'll decide med school instead, or something else entirely. You might end up selling yourself short by choosing a less rigorous institution. I don't know enough about your situation to draw any conclusions one way or another.

The 2 yr community college + 2 yr university education is a decent idea for saving money too. It's not unheard of for people to take 2 years at CC and then transfer to top 50 undergrads. You'll miss out on the 'freshman experience' though, if that matters to you at all. You can also consider trying for 2 years of undergrad to complete all pre-reqs then transfer straight into pharmacy school without a BA, saving yourself a couple years.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Go to where the cheapest is. School rankings are arbitrary and meaningless. The only exception I would say is avoid unaccredited schools or the "newer" schools. Some of the best schools cheapest tuition are long standing state public institutions who have the support structure, alumni, and connections which can benefit you in the future. There are also financially reasonable. Paying $200,000 + for pharmacy school in this day and age is financial suicide.

These days, the only thing that 4 years at a big school shows is that you have more money than sense. Unless you have a full ride, just do 2 years at an accredited CC, then apply to pharm school. if you don't get in, do 2 more years at a big name school and then apply to pharm school. This way you save thousands of dollars and possibly 2 years.

But do take a look through this forum for the next couple of years and decide if you really want to do pharmacy. The 2016 election could have a major impact on healthcare jobs.

Reactions: 1 users
Yea don't feel bad about going to a state school. A lot of the established ones are very decent and have tons of networking benefits and clubs and recognition from future employers in the area. Just avoid going into those private schools that recently got accredited.

I agree with above it doesn't play a factor really what school you go to. Admissions look more at the more objectives of your resume which they should (GPAs,PCAT,Work experience, etc.) In my class theres a lot of people with degrees, and without and some with 2 year community college.

The best thing is find out if you really want to do pharmacy and your reason for it and if you think your/can be a competitive candidate when the time comes.

One issue if you go to a community college, you need to see if the pharmacy college accept science credit from them.

OP -- I graduated from UNR in 2008 with my BS in Biology after attending WNCC the first 2 years to save money, and finished pharmacy school in 2012. I can guarantee that my education at UNR was plenty sufficient to prepare me for pharmacy school, and if anything I actually thought pharmacy school was easier in some ways than my undergraduate education. UNR has great professors who genuinely care about their students, the campus environment is wonderful (definitely not a "commuter" atmosphere like UNLV), and the facilities (especially the Knowledge Center and new science building) are second to none. I had such a fun time at UNR! I had no problem gaining acceptance to the pharmacy schools I applied to (all they cared about, like previous posters have stated, was decent grades, experience, and character). Employment was also non-problematic and not a single employer I interviewed with cared about where I graduated from, only that I had my degree and was licensed. My experience also mirrors several colleagues of mine who also went to UNR. Please PM me with any questions, and good luck in your decision. :)

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users