Good TS, Low QR, Advice?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dental720

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I Just took my DAT and I did pretty bad in the QR section although I did well in the other sections. I wanted to know if I had a shot in this cycle considering it's August. I have a great committee letter, research experience, an honors thesis, was president of an honor society in UG, and have about 2 years working as a dental assistant. With all that in mind, should I go ahead and submit my application or wait for a retake?

PAT: 19
QR: 14
RC: 21
Bio: 19
GC: 20
OC: 24
TS: 21
AA: 20

sGPA: 3.3
oGPA: 3.7

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Damn...14 is really low so idk. I have a 16 in a section and have gotten interviews, but 14 is super, super low. I'd call some schools and ask them.

It seems like adcoms care least about QR; however, a 14 is very low and many schools have cutoffs. Your best bet would be to call the schools you're interested in.

Keep in mind that a retake isn't the end of the world either. Your science gpa is low, so a retake would also give you the opportunity to improve your TS as well.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have a 17 QR and I've been invited to several interviews already, but I've heard that a lot of schools basically throw out anyone with less than a 16. That may just be for AA, but for some schools it may be in other subsections. I've also heard that some schools add up the total of all your scores and throw out anyone below a a threshold, though I don't know for sure that's true. Basically what I'm going for is that I'm sure some schools won't care and some might screen you out because of it. It doesn't knock you out of the running, but I'd bet it does lower your chances, unfortunately.

I Just took my DAT and I did pretty bad in the QR section although I did well in the other sections. I wanted to know if I had a shot in this cycle considering it's August. I have a great committee letter, research experience, an honors thesis, was president of an honor society in UG, and have about 2 years working as a dental assistant. With all that in mind, should I go ahead and submit my application or wait for a retake?

PAT: 19
QR: 14
RC: 21
Bio: 19
GC: 20
OC: 24
TS: 21
AA: 20

sGPA: 3.3
oGPA: 3.7

Many schools have a cutoff at 15. You have to call the schools you are interested in. Your stats are pretty good otherwise so it just depends on the school.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile