• Set Yourself Up For Success Webinar

October 6, 2021 at 2 PM Eastern/11 AM Pacific
    SDN and Osmosis are teaming up to help you get set up for success this school year! We'll be covering study tips, healthy habits, and meeting mentors.

Register Now!

• Site Updates Coming Soon

Site updates are coming next week on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. Click the button below to learn more!

LEARN MORE

Good TS, Low QR, Advice?

dental720

2+ Year Member
Dec 11, 2016
I Just took my DAT and I did pretty bad in the QR section although I did well in the other sections. I wanted to know if I had a shot in this cycle considering it's August. I have a great committee letter, research experience, an honors thesis, was president of an honor society in UG, and have about 2 years working as a dental assistant. With all that in mind, should I go ahead and submit my application or wait for a retake?

PAT: 19
QR: 14
RC: 21
Bio: 19
GC: 20
OC: 24
TS: 21
AA: 20

sGPA: 3.3
oGPA: 3.7

Last edited:
Upvote 0

caffeine jitters

2+ Year Member
Apr 1, 2017
  1. Dental Student
It seems like adcoms care least about QR; however, a 14 is very low and many schools have cutoffs. Your best bet would be to call the schools you're interested in.

Keep in mind that a retake isn't the end of the world either. Your science gpa is low, so a retake would also give you the opportunity to improve your TS as well.

Upvote 0
About the Ads

ab117

2+ Year Member
Jul 19, 2017
Virginia
  1. Dental Student
I have a 17 QR and I've been invited to several interviews already, but I've heard that a lot of schools basically throw out anyone with less than a 16. That may just be for AA, but for some schools it may be in other subsections. I've also heard that some schools add up the total of all your scores and throw out anyone below a a threshold, though I don't know for sure that's true. Basically what I'm going for is that I'm sure some schools won't care and some might screen you out because of it. It doesn't knock you out of the running, but I'd bet it does lower your chances, unfortunately.

Upvote 0

WolfsBane

2+ Year Member
Jun 16, 2016
  1. Pre-Dental
I Just took my DAT and I did pretty bad in the QR section although I did well in the other sections. I wanted to know if I had a shot in this cycle considering it's August. I have a great committee letter, research experience, an honors thesis, was president of an honor society in UG, and have about 2 years working as a dental assistant. With all that in mind, should I go ahead and submit my application or wait for a retake?

PAT: 19
QR: 14
RC: 21
Bio: 19
GC: 20
OC: 24
TS: 21
AA: 20

sGPA: 3.3
oGPA: 3.7

Many schools have a cutoff at 15. You have to call the schools you are interested in. Your stats are pretty good otherwise so it just depends on the school.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Upvote 0
About the Ads
This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.