Goro's advice for pre-meds who need reinvention

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
@Goro

After graduating, was pre-pa, so I took prereqs (anatomy, stats, and sociology) at my CC while working as an EMT. I received a 4.0. I decided to switch to premed, and I just finished a semester of science courses at my local university (nutritional biochem, evolution, and a medical products/regulations class) with a 4.0. Unfortunately, I can only attend class 3 days a week due to work (scribe), so the classes I can take are pretty limited - which is why I took the medical products class, which I now think was pointless. I plan on taking 3 courses next semester (physiology, stem cell bio, and molecular virology). However, I might only be able to take 2 classes due to scheduling conflicts. I'm pretty confident that I can obtain a good grade in these classes. In total, I'll have about 26-29 units of post bacc courses - some from cc and a medical products class.

MCAT 514, CA, ORM.

All things considered, would you consider this an adequate amount of reinvention?

Thank you!

edit: forgot to mention, after this semester my oGPA is 3.36 and sGPA 3.34

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
@Goro

After graduating, was pre-pa, so I took prereqs (anatomy, stats, and sociology) at my CC while working as an EMT. I received a 4.0. I decided to switch to premed, and I just finished a semester of science courses at my local university (nutritional biochem, evolution, and a medical products/regulations class) with a 4.0. Unfortunately, I can only attend class 3 days a week due to work (scribe), so the classes I can take are pretty limited - which is why I took the medical products class, which I now think was pointless. I plan on taking 3 courses next semester (physiology, stem cell bio, and molecular virology). However, I might only be able to take 2 classes due to scheduling conflicts. I'm pretty confident that I can obtain a good grade in these classes. In total, I'll have about 26-29 units of post bacc courses - some from cc and a medical products class.

MCAT 514, CA, ORM.

All things considered, would you consider this an adequate amount of reinvention?

Thank you!
Yup!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi, @Goro ! Happy Holidays! Thank you so much for all your advice throughout the year and a half I’ve been perusing on SDN. It’s been really helpful!

So I guess I have a 2 pronged question.
I’m a 25 URM female, CA resident. Currently have 1 more semester before I receive my degree (after 8 long years)

This past fall, took Biochem, Anatomy, Genetics, & Physics l and received a 4.0 which bumped my BCPM up to a 3.14. My only prereq left to complete is Physics ll which I will be taking in the spring along with more upper division bio classes, but even if I repeat my momentum with all As, the projection is only around a 3.34 I believe (I have a large amount of credits so it’s becoming harder to move my sGPA)

I was hoping to move to Texas and apply at U of Houston’s new 1 year Masters of Bio (non-thesis) program because I’ve grown tired of CA and the high cost of living.

1. IF I were to get in, do you think this program is beneficial in anyway to improving my application?

2. If not, should I then instead focus on taking more BCPM courses and my MCAT?
Especially considering I’d like to attend a TX school if possible so I will be moving regardless to attain state residency.

I’d be applying to the HBCUs as well.

@Goro

Time for an update. I have been very successful in my post bac. Classes are listed below and have been taken at my alma matter (University of California) where I initially did poorly during my undergrad years. I have maintained this GPA while working as an ER scribe doing 3 shifts a week, maintaining financial independence, and conducting my own clinical research associated with an academic trauma center. In fact I have written my own research proposal and will be performing a retrospective chart review in the upcoming weeks.

This is in addition to my ~4000 hours of clinical experience. My cGPA from my undergrad years is a staggering 2.6 (yikes I know) from the years 2009-2013. I have a MCAT of 503 (126/126/125/126) taken before my post bac started. My winter schedule will consist of biochemistry, human genetics, and an additional neuro physiology class. Currently I have 31 units at a 4.0 GPA. By the end of Spring 19 i will have amassed 51 units of post bac GPA hopefully also at a 4.0.

My question to you, am I on track for being a successful applicant this year? What else should I do, realistically I do not have much time for proper MCAT preparation as my school/work/research schedule has me at near capacity as is? I have ~300-400 volunteer hours in the ER and I helped a homeless association for a year time frame before starting my post bac.

Summer 17
BIOL 128 Immunology - A+

Spring 18
CBNS 120 Cellular neuroscience - A+
CBNS 116 Human Neuroanatomy - A+

Summer 18
CBNS 108 Intro to developmental bio - A+
CBNS 124 Systems Neuroscience - A

Fall 18
BCH110A General Biochemistry - A+
CBNS 125 Neuropharmacology - A+
BIO157 Parasitology - A

Winter 19
BCH 110B General biochemistry Part B - TBD
BIOL 115 Human Genetics - TBD
CBNS 129 Brain control of bodily functions - TBD

Thanks for your time

Last edited:
  • Wow
@Goro

Time for an update. I have been very successful in my post bac. Classes are listed below and have been taken at my alma matter (University of California) where I initially did poorly during my undergrad years. I have maintained this GPA while working as an ER scribe doing 3 shifts a week, maintaining financial independence, and conducting my own clinical research associated with an academic trauma center. In fact I have written my own research proposal and will be performing a retrospective chart review in the upcoming weeks.

This is in addition to my ~4000 hours of clinical experience. My cGPA from my undergrad years is a staggering 2.6 (yikes I know) from the years 2009-2013. I have a MCAT of 503 (126/126/125/126) taken before my post bac started. My winter schedule will consist of biochemistry, human genetics, and an additional neuro physiology class. Currently I have 31 units at a 4.0 GPA. By the end of Spring 19 i will have amassed 51 units of post bac GPA hopefully also at a 4.0.

My question to you, am I on track for being a successful applicant this year? What else should I do, realistically I do not have much time for proper MCAT preparation as my school/work/research schedule has me at near capacity as is? I have ~300-400 volunteer hours in the ER and I helped a homeless association for a year time frame before starting my post bac.

Summer 17
BIOL 128 Immunology - A+

Spring 18
CBNS 120 Cellular neuroscience - A+
CBNS 116 Human Neuroanatomy - A+

Summer 18
CBNS 108 Intro to developmental bio - A+
CBNS 124 Systems Neuroscience - A

Fall 18
BCH110A General Biochemistry - A+
CBNS 125 Neuropharmacology - A+
BIO157 Parasitology - A

Winter 19
BCH 110B General biochemistry Part B - TBD
BIOL 115 Human Genetics - TBD
CBNS 129 Brain control of bodily functions - TBD

Thanks for your time
Fine for any DO school, including mine! If you're boning for the mD, you need to retake the MCAT and score some 10 points higher.

I figured as much. I will continue to push my limits and grow for now. I'll update you with what I decide to do in the upcoming months.
Thanks for your help, it means a lot.

Hey @Goro, thanks for all of your helpful advise throughout SDN. I was wondering if you could tell me how bad this looks? (and if I'm completely hopeless or not)

Long story short I got my associate's degree in Computer Programming from a community college. I didn't do very well and had a 3.02 GPA overall with a 1.0 science gpa (only 3 credits though). I don't have any excuses for why I didn't do so well that anyone would be interested in hearing. I didn't want to be a doctor at the time, and I was a bit of a jackass with an undiagnosed learning disability. Not really personal statement material. :/

After working for 2 years, and growing up a bit I decided I wanted to go back to school and become a doctor. I started taking classes in May of 2017 at a local state school and I've taken 81 credits since then.

- I made the mistake of over scheduling myself in the summers where I was taking a double course load, and I was working part time in 2017; so I did't do so hot. I got a B in both Gen chems and Biology 1 (all w/ labs). I got a C in Physics 1 and an A in Physics 2.

- In the normal semesters I've been doing very well and I go a 4.0 in Fall17 and a 3.7 in spring 18. I got an A in both organic chemistry lectures, and B's in both of the labs.

- This fall went kind of bad because I got a C in one non-science course, but that might change. I did well otherwise.

TL;DR: My GPA at just my current school is:
Overall: 3.52
Science: 3.24
Non-Science: 3.73

With all course work my GPA is:
Overall: 3.31
Science: 3.06
Non-Science: 3.4

My overall GPA can't improved that much at this point. I'm taking 3 science courses next semester so I can boost my science GPA a fair amount, one of which is a retake of the course I got a D in. So assuming the best case scenario I can bring my science GPA up to a 3.25 (safe bet). Am I completely hopeless for applying to DO schools this year without trying to repair my science GPA more? Assuming I get a decent MCAT (505+).

Another thing, this is kind of a weird question. I've been writing articles for a pretty popular medicine-related blog over the past few months, and I want to continue. While it's directly related to medicine, it's also pretty adversarial in nature. Just wondering if that's something that could reflect poorly on me? Or would be it be seen as a positive? (I don't think it would offend anyone who works at a medical school.)

Hey @Goro, thanks for all of your helpful advise throughout SDN. I was wondering if you could tell me how bad this looks? (and if I'm completely hopeless or not)

Long story short I got my associate's degree in Computer Programming from a community college. I didn't do very well and had a 3.02 GPA overall with a 1.0 science gpa (only 3 credits though). I don't have any excuses for why I didn't do so well that anyone would be interested in hearing. I didn't want to be a doctor at the time, and I was a bit of a jackass with an undiagnosed learning disability. Not really personal statement material. :/

After working for 2 years, and growing up a bit I decided I wanted to go back to school and become a doctor. I started taking classes in May of 2017 at a local state school and I've taken 81 credits since then.

- I made the mistake of over scheduling myself in the summers where I was taking a double course load, and I was working part time in 2017; so I did't do so hot. I got a B in both Gen chems and Biology 1 (all w/ labs). I got a C in Physics 1 and an A in Physics 2.

- In the normal semesters I've been doing very well and I go a 4.0 in Fall17 and a 3.7 in spring 18. I got an A in both organic chemistry lectures, and B's in both of the labs.

- This fall went kind of bad because I got a C in one non-science course, but that might change. I did well otherwise.

TL;DR: My GPA at just my current school is:
Overall: 3.52
Science: 3.24
Non-Science: 3.73

With all course work my GPA is:
Overall: 3.31
Science: 3.06
Non-Science: 3.4

My overall GPA can't improved that much at this point. I'm taking 3 science courses next semester so I can boost my science GPA a fair amount, one of which is a retake of the course I got a D in. So assuming the best case scenario I can bring my science GPA up to a 3.25 (safe bet). Am I completely hopeless for applying to DO schools this year without trying to repair my science GPA more? Assuming I get a decent MCAT (505+).

Another thing, this is kind of a weird question. I've been writing articles for a pretty popular medicine-related blog over the past few months, and I want to continue. While it's directly related to medicine, it's also pretty adversarial in nature. Just wondering if that's something that could reflect poorly on me? Or would be it be seen as a positive? (I don't think it would offend anyone who works at a medical school.)
I think that the single bas semester might be looked at as a glitch. If you don't apply, your rejection rate will be 100%. Sometimes you have to apply with the app you have, warts and all, and see how the cycle shakes out.

If you have a hesitation about your blogs, then delete them, and certainly don't mention them.

I think that the single bas semester might be looked at as a glitch. If you don't apply, your rejection rate will be 100%. Sometimes you have to apply with the app you have, warts and all, and see how the cycle shakes out.

If you have a hesitation about your blogs, then delete them, and certainly don't mention them.

Definitely agree. Yeah everyone wants their app to be "perfect" but sometimes, its not how you planned it to be. You just gotta apply with the app you have. The advice on here is a good rule of thumb, but if you don't fit exactly what sdn tells you to, doesn't mean you're dead in the water...

Reactions: 1 users
Hi @Goro :) this is amazing - selfish request here (honestly just need any kind of guidance at all) - What if applicant (me) has a low science GPA, like a 3.2, with a 3.48 cumulative (from a pretty good school though,Berkeley) + Masters in an ethics program at HarvardMed(3.89). (little research but no pubs). Is it advisable to retake the courses I did super badly in (physics and biochem) or do a 1-yr post-bacc (and retake the whole pre-med courseload - since no A's in physics, chem, ochem, bio, or math; just B-'s, B's or B+'s and a C- for physics2)?

Last edited:
Hi @Goro :) this is amazing - selfish request here (honestly just need any kind of guidance at all) - What if applicant (me) has a low science GPA, like a 3, with a 3.48 cumulative (from a pretty good school though,Berkeley) + Masters in an ethics program at HarvardMed. (little research but no pubs). Is it advisable to retake the courses I did super badly in (physics and biochem) or do a 1-yr post-bacc (and retake the whole pre-med courseload - since no A's in physics, chem, ochem, bio, or math; just B-'s, B's or B+'s and a C- for physics2)?

You should be considering DO as well!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi @Goro :) this is amazing - selfish request here (honestly just need any kind of guidance at all) - What if applicant (me) has a low science GPA, like a 3.2, with a 3.48 cumulative (from a pretty good school though,Berkeley) + Masters in an ethics program at HarvardMed(3.89). (little research but no pubs). Is it advisable to retake the courses I did super badly in (physics and biochem) or do a 1-yr post-bacc (and retake the whole pre-med courseload - since no A's in physics, chem, ochem, bio, or math; just B-'s, B's or B+'s and a C- for physics2)?
Answered in your other thread.

Your MS in Ethics will not count for MD GPA calculations, but will for DO.

Fine for any DO school, including mine! If you're boning for the mD, you need to retake the MCAT and score some 10 points higher.
Hi Goro-
Even with a pristine post-bacc or MS transcript, will an undergraduate sGPA <3.0 automatically screen applicants out?

Hi Goro-
Even with a pristine post-bacc or MS transcript, will an undergraduate sGPA <3.0 automatically screen applicants out?
At many schools, yes. They already get so many candidates who didn't have to reinvent that they can afford to ignore reinventors. Luckily, some still do, even Columbia, Pitt, Mayo, Duke, Vandy and Case.

The common advice is to apply to schools where one's GPA is above the 10% percentile. Does this still apply to reinvention cases, with a strong post-bacc GPA but overall still below 10% percentile? My post-bacc is 4.0 over 27 credits but sGPA is still 3.1. Thanks Goro!
I recommend shooting for the schools that reward reinvention. That's quite a few MD and all DO.

Hi @Goro! I am a few years removed from school. Since then I have been working the last few years as a lab assistant and as a sales associate (helping my dad's business). I have a ~2.7 uGPA (sGPA fairly similar) with ~125 credits completed.

I was wondering if 2 years (30+ credits) of a DIY post-bacc would suffice or if it would take much longer than that. Also, have I effectively shut the door on MD programs? Reading some of @DrMidlife's old threads has left me under the impression that 2 years wouldn't be enough and I would likely need to reach towards completing a second bachelor's degree-- and even then, my chances would still be very slim. That was very concerning to me but I truly feel much more motivated to pursue medicine after networking with several medical students, surgeons and doctors at my previous job.

I would appreciate any of your input. I have always enjoyed reading your commentary as an SDN lurker. Thanks!

Last edited:
Hi @Goro! I am a few years removed from school. Since then I have been working the last few years as a lab assistant and as a sales associate (helping my dad's business). I have a ~2.7 uGPA (sGPA fairly similar) with ~125 credits completed.

I was wondering if 2 years (30+ credits) of a DIY post-bacc would suffice or if it would take much longer than that. Also, have I effectively shut the door on MD programs? Reading some of @DrMidlife's old threads has left me under the impression that 2 years wouldn't be enough and I would likely need to reach towards completing a second bachelor's degree-- and even then, my chances would still be very slim. That was very concerning to me but I truly feel much more motivated to pursue medicine after networking with several medical students, surgeons and scholars at my previous job.

I would appreciate any of your input. I have always enjoyed reading your commentary as an SDN lurker. Thanks!
MD is not closed, but you have to tailor your eventual list carefully, and you have to have DO schools on your eventual list. DO schools and your state MD school will be your best bets.

I feel that DrMidlife was a tad conservative. Her main thesis was that you need to be able to consistently demonstrate academic excellence.

When do you recommend applying to schools? Should I have two years completed and then apply or should I begin the application process after the end of the first year of my post-bacc? Also, when should I take the MCAT?

Sorry this is all very new to me. When I was an undergraduate I was very unsure of what I wanted to do so I ignored all things pre-med.
I am planning on consulting with my school's adviser but I understand that he/she may not have very much experience with someone in my position. That's why I'm trying to gather as much information as possible.

When do you recommend applying to schools? Should I have two years completed and then apply or should I begin the application process after the end of the first year of my post-bacc? Also, when should I take the MCAT?

Sorry this is all very new to me. When I was an undergraduate I was very unsure of what I wanted to do so I ignored all things pre-med.
I am planning on consulting with my school's adviser but I understand that he/she may not have very much experience with someone in my position. That's why I'm trying to gather as much information as possible.
You apply when you have the best possible app.

Get your post-bacc out of the way and then take the MCAT.

Do NOT apply until you know your score.

Read this:
Med School Rx: Getting In, Getting Through, and Getting On with Doctoring Original Edition by Walter Hartwig
ISBN-13: 978-1607140627
ISBN-10: 1607140624

So I'm assuming in order to begin applying I'd need to satisfy the following:
1. 2 years (30-ish credits) of a DIY post-bacc with an A average
2. A great MCAT score
3. Some stellar EC's. I have some experience in undergrad as a teaching assistant, peer tutor and lab/research assistant. Do any of these help my app? Would it be wise of me to pursue shadowing and spring/summer internships in the mean time before I start my post-bacc (hopefully this fall)?

Read this:
Med School Rx: Getting In, Getting Through, and Getting On with Doctoring Original Edition by Walter Hartwig
ISBN-13: 978-1607140627
ISBN-10: 1607140624

Thanks I'll definitely check this out!

Hi @Goro! I need some of your advice. I graduated last year BS MolCell Bio at a top 10 grade deflating school with cGPA around 3.0 and sGPA <3.0 (deans list freshman year then major dip and then major upward trend senior year with 2 Deans List) I’m currently in a research MS same major same school and have a 3.89 (taking the classes from same ugrad department just with an additional grad assignment for each) and will graduate with a thesis in basic science stem cell research and submitting manuscript for publication in March. Doing basic science research totally changed me and since I began I have had a huge upward trend in grades, much better work ethic and motivation, became totally different person. I took MCAT 2019 summer and got 516, ~200 clinical volunteer and ~200 non clinical volunteer and ~50 shadowing, TA for Cell bio lab and the lecture, editor for school phil journal, treasurer of school organization for health inequities...I recently got into an SMP because I know I need to show more upward trend, but was urged by the SMP to apply this upcoming cycle (before completing the SMP). What would be my chances? Should I wait? I am an Asian female from CA and also want to apply MD/PhD because of all the research I have done and I love research and I wouldn’t have been able to slightly dig myself out of my hole without research. I just don’t think my GPA will give me any hope and I don’t think my MCAT is high enough to really help me. Any advice and schools to apply to would be appreciated!! Thank you so much!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Hi @Goro! I need some of your advice. I graduated last year BS MolCell Bio at a top 10 grade deflating school with cGPA around 3.0 and sGPA <3.0 (deans list freshman year then major dip and then major upward trend senior year with 2 Deans List) I’m currently in a research MS same major same school and have a 3.89 (taking the classes from same ugrad department just with an additional grad assignment for each) and will graduate with a thesis in basic science stem cell research and submitting manuscript for publication in March. Doing basic science research totally changed me and since I began I have had a huge upward trend in grades, much better work ethic and motivation, became totally different person. I took MCAT 2019 summer and got 516, ~200 clinical volunteer and ~200 non clinical volunteer and ~50 shadowing, TA for Cell bio lab and the lecture, editor for school phil journal, treasurer of school organization for health inequities...I recently got into an SMP because I know I need to show more upward trend, but was urged by the SMP to apply this upcoming cycle (before completing the SMP). What would be my chances? Should I wait? I am an Asian female from CA and also want to apply MD/PhD because of all the research I have done and I love research and I wouldn’t have been able to slightly dig myself out of my hole without research. I just don’t think my GPA will give me any hope and I don’t think my MCAT is high enough to really help me. Any advice and schools to apply to would be appreciated!! Thank you so much!

I believe that you're DOA for MD/PhD...these programs tkae only the top of the top, and I don't think that they reward reinvention. Actually, they have tons of candidates who never needed reinvention.

MD schools will discount your MS GPA. It's the SMP that counts.

Your school's advice to apply now, without the full year of grades from the SMP is odd, unless they want you to apply to their program; I assume that your SMP is at a med school? Is this a two year SMP? Or do they want you top apply once you're done this spring? That would make sense.

You do plenty of research with just an MD

I believe that you're DOA for MD/PhD...these programs tkae only the top of the top, and I don't think that they reward reinvention. Actually, they have tons of candidates who never needed reinvention.

MD schools will discount your MS GPA. It's the SMP that counts.

Your school's advice to apply now, without the full year of grades from the SMP is odd, unless they want you to apply to their program; I assume that your SMP is at a med school? Is this a two year SMP? Or do they want you top apply once you're done this spring? That would make sense.

You do plenty of research with just an MD

This is the Georgetown SMP! I also think it is odd about applying now. They said because of their schedule of having blocks they will send a set of grades in October. But I believe it is already quite late for updates in October which makes me not know if I should wait an entire cycle. However, they stated the “linkage” is only applicable if I apply to med school during the SMP year.

Do SMPs also have linkage to PhD programs? I was thinking of doing an SMP after my post-bacc but I'm worried that (should I receive no interviews from medical schools) it is a worthless degree. If med school is not possible I would want a backup plan to further my education.

Hey @Goro , I'd love to get your advice on this. I graduated from UC Irvine with a 3.43 cGPA and 3.42 sGPA (sGPA trend is 3.02 --> 2.97 --> 3.43 --> 3.88), cGPA trend the same. Sophomore year was my worst, genetics (C+) molecular bio (C+), Bs and B- in orgo/labs. Junior year I did well except for one C in a limnology/freshwater ecology course so it dragged that year down to 3.4. Junior/senior years filled with pretty much all upper div bio courses (got As in neuro, physio lec, physio lab, microbio, immuno, cell bio, dev bio, biochem lab, and series of 3 human bio classes). Was on dean's list (>3.5 gpa) for last 6 quarters and straight As for last 3 quarters. After graduation, I took one pathophysiology class through UCLA extension (A) and got to 3.45 cGPA and 3.44 sGPA. Regretfully, I didn't pick up any other post-bacc classes because I was working and studying for the MCAT at the time (scored 515). My question to you: do you think my gpa trend/course rigor is enough to show that I got my act together academically and can handle med school classes? Or do I need a year of post-bacc? My EC's right now are of substance: 1.5 years pediatric cancer research (no pubs but oral presentation), 1 yr experience teaching science/working with kids at my job (outdoor education camp), 2.5+ yrs volunteering at children's hospital, ~50 hrs shadowing, volunteering to help economically disadvantaged groups in both clinical and non-clinical settings (~60 hrs each), and acapella music therapy for hospice patients (probably my most unique EC--singing/music is a hobby of mine). Despite all this, I'm unsure whether my situation counts as "reinvention" and I'm worried adcoms will doubt my ability to excel academically in med school. Worth a shot applying this cycle or not? Thanks in advance
Apply as if you have a GPA of 3.6, and continue to take and ace post bac classes.

Should I be starting post bacc before or after I submit apps? I could pick up 6 semester units of science right now and make it in time for transcripts/app to be verified early June. But it would be very time consuming and will probably be tough to do with AMCAS. Already took MCAT, got 515 (129/128/130/128). I know its a big reach but do I have any shot at USC? I will definitely be applying to UC Riverside, Irvine, and Davis. The other UCs might be too good to be true. CA resident
Before. And once you get fall grades, send updates to those schools that accept updates.
I recommend the following:

Case (maybe)
Mayo (maybe)
U VM
U Toledo
Miami
St. Louis
Albany
Rush
Rosy Franklin
NYMC
EVMS
Wake Forest
Jefferson
Temple
Drexel
Creighton
Tulane
USC/Keck (maybe)
Dartmouth
Seton Hall
MCW
Loyola
Pitt (maybe)
Hofstra
Tufts
Oakland-B
Western MI
Uniformed Services University/Hebert (just be aware of the military service commitment)
Nova MD
CUSM
AZCOM
Both Westerns
PacNW
Touro-CA
TUNCOM
BCOM
CCOM
DMU
PCOM

Reactions: 1 users
Before. And once you get fall grades, send updates to those schools that accept updates.
I recommend the following:

Case (maybe)
Mayo (maybe)
U VM
U Toledo
Miami
St. Louis
Albany
Rush
Rosy Franklin
NYMC
EVMS
Wake Forest
Jefferson
Temple
Drexel
Creighton
Tulane
USC/Keck (maybe)
Dartmouth
Seton Hall
MCW
Loyola
Pitt (maybe)
Hofstra
Tufts
Oakland-B
Western MI
Uniformed Services University/Hebert (just be aware of the military service commitment)
Nova MD
CUSM
AZCOM
Both Westerns
PacNW
Touro-CA
TUNCOM
BCOM
CCOM
DMU
PCOM

Last edited:
will it look bad if I don't take any more post-bacc classes until after apps are submitted? these classes are very difficult and among work, personal statements, volunteering etc im not sure ill be able to put in the time necessary to get As in them. after all, would adding 2 more classes make much of a difference in an adcoms eyes anyway?
Look bad?

Nope.

Hi @Goro
Need some advice (I have gotten some but coming from an adcom would be helpful)
I was looking to apply this cycle but my GPA is starting to worry me.
3.2 cGPA, 3.1 sGPA (may be a bit higher bc I took 2 classes last summer to get started on this journey and got As in both).
Waiting for MCAT score.
I work full-time, I'm an NP so I have a ton of clinical hrs and some volunteer hrs. Been out of school for a few (many years).
Bought MSAR last yr and have made a potential school list; working on personal statement and secondaries now.
Wondering if to go ahead and apply this year or bump my GPA with a formal post-bacc (I'm in CT, UCONN has one) or DIY post-bacc.

Thanks.

Your GPAs are lethal for MD and circling the drain for DO. It's also impossible to advise without an MCAT score. While the DIY post-bac will be less expensive, I recommend the formal program for the guidance it will give you.

I can't recommend taking the MCAT without the pre-reqs, and definitely not until you're 100% ready for it.

Your GPAs are lethal for MD and circling the drain for DO. It's also impossible to advise without an MCAT score. While the DIY post-bac will be less expensive, I recommend the formal program for the guidance it will give you.

I can't recommend taking the MCAT without the pre-reqs, and definitely not until you're 100% ready for it.

Thanks!
I have all prereqs done, waiting for MCAT score this month.
Will look seriously into the postbacc.

Thanks!
I have all prereqs done, waiting for MCAT score this month.
Will look seriously into the postbacc.

What made you wanting to go back to med school? Seeing that you’re already a NP that can potentially do a lot? Just curious.

Sorry for highjacking.

What made you wanting to go back to med school? Seeing that you’re already a NP that can potentially do a lot? Just curious.

Sorry for highjacking.

Hi!!
Autonomy and the education that comes with it but mostly the knowledge/ education. I'm basically operating on a knowledge deficit which pretty much sucks.

Hi @Goro !
I am a female ORM, graduated from UCI in 2017 with a psych degree. My undergrad was a bit of a disaster honestly due to an undiagnosed mental illness. Since graduation, I am getting proper treatment and doing much better.

My AMCAS cGPA is currently 2.8 and sGPA is 2.5. I have taken the following pre-req classes:
  • General Biology
  • General Chemistry
  • Genetics

My plan is to take the following classes at my local CC:
  • Pre-Calculus (Currently taking, on track to get an A)
  • Organic Chemistry
  • Physics
  • Microbiology
  • Anatomy/Physiology
  • Biochem
  • Retake the first portion of Gen Chem (got a C- freshman year of college)
I can finish all the above classes within a year. I need to get a 4.0 in all classes to get a cGPA 3.0 and sGPA 3.1

1. Is it even realistic at the moment to pursue medicine given my uphill battle or should I start thinking about other career alternatives?
  2. Should I extend my post-bacc to two years vs one and add additional upper-div classes to get both my cGPA/sGPA a little higher than just a 3.0?
  3. I plan to take all my post-bacc classes at a CC because of a 6 figure student loan from my undergrad (I was an OOS student). I know that this is generally said to not be a problem, but given my current stats, should I try to finance classes at a 4-year uni?
My cGPA on my transcript is a 3.1 (I have repeated classes); I was recently rejected to two formal post-bacc programs and am feeling pretty discouraged. I would really appreciate some guidance on what to do from here. Thank you so much!

1. Is it even realistic at the moment to pursue medicine given my uphill battle or should I start thinking about other career alternatives?
Yes, if it's still in your heart to take this path AND your mental health issues are under control (note to moderators, this is NOT giving medical advice). As noted above, there are med schools that reward reinvention

1. Should I extend my post-bacc to two years vs one and add additional upper-div classes to get both my cGPA/sGPA a little higher than just a 3.0?
I'm a fan of being able to show that you can handle a rigorous course load. But finances are always understandable.

I plan to take all my post-bacc classes at a CC because of a 6 figure student loan from my undergrad (I was an OOS student). I know that this is generally said to not be a problem, but given my current stats, should I try to finance classes at a 4-year uni?

I recommend the CC, given the financial issues

My cGPA on my transcript is a 3.1 (I have repeated classes); I was recently rejected to two formal post-bacc programs and am feeling pretty discouraged. I would really appreciate some guidance on what to do from here.

Keep in mind that these programs are a dime-a-dozen, so if you can relocate, I'll bet that you can find one to take you.

Reactions: 3 users
@Goro
When mentioning my DIY informal post bacc in my personal statement, how should I write it? It seems weird to say Do-It-Yourself informal Post baccalaureate. I keep wanting to add program to the end there as well, but technically it wasnt a program, just me taking classes. Ugh, logistics.

@Goro
When mentioning my DIY informal post bacc in my personal statement, how should I write it? It seems weird to say Do-It-Yourself informal Post baccalaureate. I keep wanting to add program to the end there as well, but technically it wasnt a program, just me taking classes. Ugh, logistics.
At that: Are things like GPA repair and reinvention worth mentioning in PS?

@Goro
I don't see a need to mention it. Let your transcript speak for itself

At that: Are things like GPA repair and reinvention worth mentioning in PS?
Hmm now I'm gonna have to research what's worth mentioning...I thought I was answering the questions : who am I? and why medicine? Hmmm... welp **tosses finished personal statement into fire**

Reactions: 2 users
@Goro , I have a question about the kind of upper division science courses you take as a reinventor. Are all upper division science courses weighed similarly?

Between the option of taking less rigorous and easier classes, such as Zoology, Biology of Human Aging (for nonmajors), Biotechnology, etc., and classes that are much more rigorous but also demonstrate mastery if done well (at a top grade-deflated public school), such as Immunology, Parasitology, Cell Nucleus Biology, and Virology, do the more challenging classes give an application a boost?

If I can demonstrate that I can do well and receive A's in the latter courses, would that be worth the effort and money over the "easier" classes to help stand out as a reinventor, or is the difference so minimal that I should just go with the path of least resistance (within reason)? Thank you for your advice.

@Goro , Im currently trying to decide between Rutgers Medical scholars program (Guaranteed interveiw if 3.5, they tend to favor in state however, Im a NY resident) or Touro Middletown masters program (Matriculate into DO if maintain 3.45 GPA) . My GPA is not good, 2.85 CGPA and 2.8 BCPM GPA. I got a 509 (30) MCAT. Trying to decide what route to go, i do not have a preference between MD and DO, but I would like to apply to both in NY state. I also work as a medical assistant right now, with over 500 hours under my belt.

Any help is appreciated!!

@Goro , Im currently trying to decide between Rutgers Medical scholars program (Guaranteed interveiw if 3.5, they tend to favor in state however, Im a NY resident) or Touro Middletown masters program (Matriculate into DO if maintain 3.45 GPA) . My GPA is not good, 2.85 CGPA and 2.8 BCPM GPA. I got a 509 (30) MCAT. Trying to decide what route to go, i do not have a preference between MD and DO, but I would like to apply to both in NY state. I also work as a medical assistant right now, with over 500 hours under my belt.

Any help is appreciated!!
Go with whichever one is cheapest and shortest.

Go with whichever one is cheapest and shortest.
Sounds good, they are both 1 year, is the length youre referring to the program length? Also , after the rutgers program, do you think I would have a good chance at DO schools when I apply?