GPA question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

vtraster

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I have an unusual background story for school and I wanted advice. I did four years of undergrad that went very badly about 10 years ago. I never received a degree and I left with a 2.06 gpa. It was after this I found my love of medicine and became and EMT and eventually a paramedic through a community college. I then decided to start over and got my associate of science from the college with a 3.2 gpa. I then transferred to a university where I graduated with my BS in Biology with a 3.55 gpa. I have worked as an emt for 2 years and a paramedic for 4. I have been doing clinical research with a doctor for two years and have been published. I also have 3 years of volunteer experience. However, given that my initial gpa was so low it doesn’t balance out. Do I have any chance of getting into a medical school? Any help or advice would be appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

What is your science GPA and cumulative GPA including the classes that contributed to your 2.06 gpa? Or does that 3.55 include those classes?

I have been having a hard time calculating them since I went to several different schools and have taken repeat courses.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have been having a hard time calculating them since I went to several different schools and have taken repeat courses.
Medical schools will take into consideration all of the classes you have taken at all schools, so calculating your sGPA/cGPS is step one to see how you will fair.

Reactions: 1 users
You basically count every class you've ever taken, including retakes.

I suspect it'll be below 3.0, which will be lethal. Likely your only hope is an SMP or similar, combined with a stellar MCAT.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi everyone,
I have an unusual background story for school and I wanted advice. I did four years of undergrad that went very badly about 10 years ago. I never received a degree and I left with a 2.06 gpa. It was after this I found my love of medicine and became and EMT and eventually a paramedic through a community college. I then decided to start over and got my associate of science from the college with a 3.2 gpa. I then transferred to a university where I graduated with my BS in Biology with a 3.55 gpa. I have worked as an emt for 2 years and a paramedic for 4. I have been doing clinical research with a doctor for two years and have been published. I also have 3 years of volunteer experience. However, given that my initial gpa was so low it doesn’t balance out. Do I have any chance of getting into a medical school? Any help or advice would be appreciated.
You do have a chance but it's going to be hard. Have you taken the MCAT? I would recommend doing a SMP. If the cost is prohibitive, do a DIY postbacc to get your gpas to 3.0 (and show a strong upward trend) and apply broadly to DO and some select MD schools.

If it feels daunting, don't despair. I totally relate as I messed up in college 10+ years ago and realized in my 30s that I wanted medical school. My GPAs slightly < 3.0 and I'm applying this cycle and so far I have an interview invite at a MD and a DO school so it is possible! PM if you have more questions. Best of luck to you!

Reactions: 1 users
Unless your state does Academic Fresh Start such as the state of Texas (wipe out all grades 10+ years ago for GPA purposes through TMDSAS for Texas Med Schools) your next best step is either landing a DIY postbacc or qualify for at least one SMP as others have stated. As always, kill the MCAT the first time you take it. It seems to be a trend if you score superb with an overall GPA hovering above a 3.0 your bound to pick up an interview or two at DO programs.

If you do border TX or have family that live there, check out the following link concerning the AFS program I mentioned above:

Academic Fresh Start

Hi everyone,
Read this:
Goro's advice for pre-meds who need reinvention

What is your science GPA and cumulative GPA including the classes that contributed to your 2.06 gpa? Or does that 3.55 include those classes?
GPA 2.6, AMCAS sGPA 2.3, AACOMAS sGPA 2.73

It's going to be hard to get that 2.3 AMCAS sGPA and cGPA> 3.0, read Goro's guide and looks like you'll have to rely on a strong upward trend for classes (2-3 years).

It's going to be hard to get that 2.3 AMCAS sGPA and cGPA> 3.0, read Goro's guide and looks like you'll have to rely on a strong upward trend for classes (2-3 years).
My last two years have resulted in a B.S. of biology gpa 3.55. Is that sufficient? along with a good mcat score?

My last two years have resulted in a B.S. of biology gpa 3.55. Is that sufficient? along with a good mcat score?

No, that's kind of a knock against you. Your second degree was your shot to show that you changed, and over the course of that degree you earned a substandard 3.3-3.4. it would be a different story if you got a 3.9 or 4.0 in your second degree.

Another year of a DIY post bacc with mainly science courses would help if your GPA in those courses are above 3.5 . Of course how well you do on the MCAT will be important. If you score 505 or higher you could receive interviews at some DO schools. Do not take the MCAT until your practice scores are consistently over 505.

It’s gonna be hard to get those gpa’s up, but it’s possible. Work on that and kill the MCAT, and like Faha said, DO NOT TAKE THE MCAT UNTIL YOU ARE READY.

How many total credits do you have? It might not be feasible to bring your cGPA above a 3.0 at this point depending on how many total credits you have. If you have a strong upward trend, I would advise you to consider applying to some reputable SMPs. Some of these programs have a 3.0 cutoff, but that do however waive that for students who have a strong upward trend and a competitive MCAT score. That might be your best option at this point.

OP, your best option as of now is DO (forget MD because your AMCAS science GPA is way too low to bring up). I still believe you need to continue taking more upper level science courses at the undergrad level to raise your GPAs as close as you can to a 3.0 for DO school cutoffs. The quickest route to become a physician for you is by going DO.