GPA's, GRE's, XTRA's, ACCEPTANCES

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
University: University of Redlands
Major: Biology
Overall GPA: 3.3
Pre-Req GPA: 3.6
GRE: 151 Q, 145 V, 4.5 AW

Volunteer: 250 hours total (at time of applying; many more now): 180 Outpatient, 60 Inpatient Setting, 10 children's hospital

Extra-Curric: PT Aide at Outpatient facility, tutor to kids with disadvantages, community service project in Israel, Orientation Leader for school for 3 years, part of community service based fraternity that would be part of activities such as playing flag football with kids with disabilities, family toy drive for 10+ years, etc.

Recommendation Letters: 1 Physiology professor, 1 Biology professor, 1 PT, 1 Director of Orientation (Employer)

Applying to: CSUN, Western, University of St. Augustine (San Marcos), UNT, Touro (Nevada), George Fox, MGH, Mount Saint Mary's, AT Still

Interview: Western (1/24), AT Still (10/20)
Acceptances: AT Still (10/24), MGH (12/20), Mount Saint Mary's (I forgot when)
Rejections: UNT, Touro (Nevada), George Fox

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Nope, I'm actually from Ohio and had never even heard of NIU until I was doing PT school research! You?
Yep, non-resident and had never been to the school before. I was curious because before I applied they told me that NIU students and Illinois residents get additional consideration. I wonder if that changed because they made the announcement a few weeks after the application deadline that they wouldn't have out-of-state tuition anymore.

First time posting:

University: Villanova University
Major: Economics
Overall GPA: 3.44
Science GPA: 3.18
GRE: Verbal-153, Quant-154, Writing- 5.5

Observation Hours: 995 – 825 outpatient in 3 locations, 150 inpatient, 20 peds
Extracurricular: Relay for Life team captain, Study Abroad in Australia, Chi Omega Sorority, Student Ambassador, tutoring program, Special Olympics volunteer, Intramural sports, Club Lacrosse, Basketball camp counselor, Church food bank program, Gap Year: Business Operations at a startup
Honors: Graduated Cum Laude, Dean’s List 4x
Certifications: Adult and Pediatric First Aide/CPR/AED Certified, NYS Life and Health Insurance Agent,

LORS: 2 PTs, 1 Economics professor, 1 other professor

Applying to: Columbia, Drexel, Duke, LIU-Brooklyn, Marymount, NYIT, NYU, Stony Brook, Thomas Jefferson, UMD-Baltimore, High Point

Interviews: Columbia (11/17), Drexel (9/15), LIU-Brooklyn (12/1- declined interview), Marymount (12/2-declined interview), Stony Brook (11/10), NYIT (10/20), NYU(11/11), High Point (9/29)

Waitlist: High Point (11/14- declined spot on waitlist), Thomas Jefferson (waitlisted for interview)

Acceptances: Drexel (10/12), NYIT (10/27), Stony Brook (11/17), NYU (12/21)

Rejections: UMD-Baltimore (12/1)
Congrats on your acceptance!
How did you hear back from NYU? Did they email you?

Members don't see this ad :)
Update:

University: Northeastern University
Major: Behavioral Neuroscience
Overall GPA: 3.57
Pre-Req GPA:3.65-3.73
GRE: 155 V, 164 Q, 4.0 W

Hours: 1000+ in 2 outpatient clinics, 420 in a school, 18 in rehabilitation hospital, 8 in acute care hospital

Work: Rehab Aide for 6 months at outpatient clinic with ortho, neuro, and chronic pain patients. PT Aide for 6 months at a school for students with visual and hearing impairments.

Extra-Curric: Pep Band (4.5 years), Kappa Kappa Psi National Honorary Band Fraternity (2.5 years, Corresponding Secretary for 1 year, currently the Vice President of Membership), Northeastern Undergraduate Researchers of Neuroscience (1 year).

Volunteer: 2+ years volunteering in a running group for people who have neurological conditions who want to return to running, 2 years volunteering at Brigham and Women's Hospital at front desk and central transport

LOR: 2 PTs, 1 capstone professor, 1 clinical supervisor

Applied: Boston U, Northeastern, MGH IHP, Simmons

Acceptances: MGH IHP, Simmons
Rejections: none

University: University of Washington
Major: Physiology
Pre-Req GPA: 3.2-3.6 depending on retake policy/ classes that count as pre-reqs
Post-bac GPA: 3.8
GRE: 155 152 4

Extra-Curric: Seattle adaptive sports Wheelchair basketball volunteer, Wheelchair basketball volunteer coach, Member Services at the UW IMA (rec center/gym), Lead Referee for Intramural Basketball and Soccer, Retail Sales Footlocker during undergrad, Community volunteer at Bellevue Foursquare Church for 7 years.

Volunteer: 2000+ outpatient Ortho from multiple locations, 40 SNF, 10 home health, 30 inpatient

Applied: AT stills University, Franklin Pierce University, Midwestern University, Northern Arizona University, Nova Southeastern, University of Central Florida, University of Washington, Adventist University of Health Sciences, High Point University, Gannon University (Ruskin), St. Augustine University, Plymouth State University,

Interviews: At Stills (1/19), High Point University (1/5)

Waitlisted: Midwestern (9/19)

Rejections: NAU (12/13)

I applied to most schools by their deadline or around mid September/ early October if they are rolling admissions.

Last edited:
I've been very hesitated to posting on here. But I am looking for any advice that will help!

University: University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee '17
Major: Kinesiology
Overall GPA: 3.09
Pre-Req GPA: 2.76
Last 60c: ~3.1
GRE: Planning to take

Extra-Curric:
- Milwaukee Panther Soccer Club Team Captain - 2016-2017
- Hmong Student Association: Public Relations Chair - 2015-2016
- Wisconsin Hmong College Coalition - 2014-2015

Volunteer:
- Spring of 2017 - I will be traveling to Peru for a Clinical Medicine Program.
- Froedtert and the Medical College of WI - Staff Volunteer
- Children's Hospital of WI: I worked as a Clinical Navigator that helped screened for social/environmental determinants (population health)
- Medical College of WI: I worked as a translator to help advocate for Hep B within the Hmong community
- American Multi-Student Leadership Conference (AMSLC) - Student Volunteer
- Hmong National Development Conference - Student Volunteer
- Milwaukee Hmong Health Consortium - Volunteer Leader
- 50 hours of Outpatient Work Comp observation hours

Work Experience:
- Froedtert and the Medical College of WI - Rehab Tech
- Caravel Autism Health - Behavior Tech 1
- High School Wrestling Coach - six years

I am aware that my pre-req GPA is quite low. After graduation of spring of 17, I did decided to take this year off to find what I truly enjoy. I currently work as a Rehab Tech @ Froedtert and the Medical College of WI in Acute Care (over 500+ hours). I am just overwhelmed with the statistics of each school I look into. I was told to really look into DPT programs that thrive on the last 60 credits, with that being said, what are some programs that look at the your last 60 credits? I believe UCSF does, and I will be going out there to visit with the PT student advisor. I have done extensive research but yet I still get overwhelmed. I am not afraid to go back school and to retake courses. It doesn't matter what program I get into, the end goal is to become a PT.

Advice is needed! I am quite nervous! I am not quite sure what to do at the moment. I would like to hear from others who have been on the same boat and has made it!

I've questioned myself to either go back to school to get my MPH or to go to PTA school (which is a not ideal from what I have been reading in these forums).

DPT programs planning to apply to:
- UW Madison (WI)
- UW LaCrosse (WI)
- Carroll University (WI)
- UCSF (CA)
- Regis University (CO)
- Oakland University (MI)
- AT Still (AZ)
- Touro University (Nevada)

Update: Waitlist

Undergrad: University of Florida
Overall GPA: 3.59
Pre-Req GPA: 3.6-3.85 depending on the program
GRE: 158V, 159Q, 4.5W
LOR: 1 PT, 1 professor, 1 healthcare professional
Extra-curriculars: Intramural Tennis, Gardening Club, Sorority, Hospital Volunteering
Honors: Cum Laude, Dean's List, President's List, Sorority Academic Award, Economics Honor Society, Academic Honor Society
Observation Hours: 170 total; 102 inpatient geriatric, 68 outpatient orthopedic and pediatric

Applied: Lynchburg, UNF, UCF, Marymount, UNE, URI, Duke, South Carolina
Acceptances: Lynchburg (12/5), University of South Carolina (12/6), Marymount (12/6)
Waitlisted: UNF (12/4), UNE (12/18)
Rejections:
Interviews: UNF (11/14), UCF (11/17), Marymount (12/2), UNE (12/8), URI (1/4)

Update:

University: Northeastern University
Major: Behavioral Neuroscience
Overall GPA: 3.57
Pre-Req GPA:3.65-3.73
GRE: 155 V, 164 Q, 4.0 W

Hours: 1000+ in 2 outpatient clinics, 420 in a school, 18 in rehabilitation hospital, 8 in acute care hospital

Work: Rehab Aide for 6 months at outpatient clinic with ortho, neuro, and chronic pain patients. PT Aide for 6 months at a school for students with visual and hearing impairments.

Extra-Curric: Pep Band (4.5 years), Kappa Kappa Psi National Honorary Band Fraternity (2.5 years, Corresponding Secretary for 1 year, currently the Vice President of Membership), Northeastern Undergraduate Researchers of Neuroscience (1 year).

Volunteer: 2+ years volunteering in a running group for people who have neurological conditions who want to return to running, 2 years volunteering at Brigham and Women's Hospital at front desk and central transport

LOR: 2 PTs, 1 capstone professor, 1 clinical supervisor

Applied: Boston U, Northeastern, MGH IHP, Simmons

Acceptances: MGH IHP, Simmons
Rejections: none
Being an undergrad at Northeastern, do you have any idea when they start making decisions? Do they do interviews at all? Through my research, it seems they don’t, but I couldn’t find a 100% answer. They are one of the 3 schools left I’m waiting to hear back from still. Best of luck!

I interviewed at Temple on 11/10/17 and was told we would hear back by mid-December. All I have received was an email saying that all university offices were closed until 1/2/18. Has anyone that interviewed at Temple in November/December heard any news at all?

I was also at the 11/10 interview at Temple and haven't heard back, just that same email about the holiday closures. I am hoping we hear back this week!

I am waitlisted for Rutgers North. Is it okay to call them and ask for my waitlist number because they didn’t say anything about where I am placed? Any advice is appreciated!!

Update!

Majors: B.S. General Biology, University of California: San Diego

Prereq, Overall GPA, and Last 60 Units: pGPA: ~3.7-3.8, cGPA: 2.96, last 60 units: 3.8 GRE: 159Q, 149V, 5.0AW

Observation: 695 Outpatient Hours, 250 Inpatient Hours

Submitted to PTCAS: 8/1/17

Applying: Shenandoah University, AT Still University, CSU Northridge, East Tennessee State University, Emory & Henry College, Governors State University, MGHIHP, Regis University, Bellarmine University, South College, Tennessee State University, University of Arkansas Medical Sciences, University of Mary, High Point University, William Carey University, University of Mary Hardin-Baylor, University of Saint Augustine San Marcos

Acceptance: AT Still University (10/9), MGH IHP (12/20)

Interview Invites: South College (Waitlisted 9/4), University of Mary Hardin-Baylor (Waitlisted 10/5), AT Still University (Accepted 10/6), Emory and Henry College (received invite on 10/23 for 11/18 interview - Declined), MGH IHP Open House Invitation (received invite on 11/1 for 12/2 - Attending [live stream]), University of Arkansas Medical Sciences (received invite on 11/20 for 12/1 interview - Declined,) Shenandoah University (received invite on 11/21 for 12/15 interview - Declined), Bellarmine University (Received Invite to Interview on 12/14 for 2/9/18 - Declined)

Rejection: Governors State University (11/17), Regis University (12/15)

Members don't see this ad :)
UPDATES!!!

Undergrad: University of Maryland
Post Baccalaureate: Hofstra University
Major: Psychology
Overall GPA: 3.58
Pre-Req GPA: 3.80
GRE Scores: Q152 V148 AW3.5
Hours: 800+ outpatient, 50 inpatient
Additional: Dean's List, member of Delta Phi Epsilon, sorority committees, research assistant, teaching assistant
LOR: 3 PTs (+2 letters of confirmation of hours/recommendations), 1 chemistry professor

Applying to:
Arcadia, Hunter, LIU, MUSC, NYU, Rutgers (north and south), Seton Hall, Stony Brook, SUNY Downstate, Touro, UCONN, Delaware, UMD
Acceptances: Touro Bay Shore (11/20), NYU (12/21), Rutgers North (1/4)
Rejections: MUSC (12/13), Rutgers South (12/21)
Interviews: Stony Brook (11/10), NYIT (11/19), NYU (12/1), Rutgers North (12/8), Hunter (12/15), LIU (1/26), SUNY Downstate (1/18--declined)
Waitlists: Stony Brook (12/13), NYIT (11/28)

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
**ACCEPTANCE UPDATE!!!**

University:
Penn State University
Major: Kinesiology-Movement Science
Overall GPA: 3.50
Pre-Req GPA: 3.39
GRE: Verbal-149, Quant-150, Writing-4.0

E-Submit: 09/07/2017
Verified: 09/08/2017

Observation Hours: outpatient-rehab aide: 1000 hrs, outpatient-volunteer: 240 hrs, inpatient-volunteer: 21 hrs
Extracurriculars: Presented research at Penn State Undergraduate Research Exhibition, Internships at Penn State's Center for Fitness and Wellness, CryoZone Whole Body Therapy, & FMC Corporation-Health and NutritionDivision, Kinesiology Club member, Gamma Phi Beta Sorority member
Honors: Dean's List, Health and Human Development Honor Society
Certifications: Adult CPR/AED, First Aid

LORs: 3 PTs (each from different facilities of employment/volunteer), 1 Kinesiology professor

Applying to: Temple University, Drexel University, Thomas Jefferson University, Widener University, Rutgers University-Newark (North), Rutgers University-Blackwood (South), Seton Hall University, Marymount University, New York University, Long Island University-Brooklyn, New York Institute of Technology

Interviews:
Temple University (11/10), Rutgers-Newark (11/17), NYIT (12/1-cancelled), Marymount University (12/2), Rutgers-Blackwood (12/7), Widener University (12/19), LIU (12/27-invited for express decision week; will not be attending)

Waitlist: Thomas Jefferson University (for interview)

Acceptances: Marymount University (12/6), Rutgers-Blackwood (12/22), Rutgers-Newark (1/4)

Rejections:
Drexel University

Reactions: 2 users
Being an undergrad at Northeastern, do you have any idea when they start making decisions? Do they do interviews at all? Through my research, it seems they don’t, but I couldn’t find a 100% answer. They are one of the 3 schools left I’m waiting to hear back from still. Best of luck!
I'm almost 100% sure they do not do interviews, at least they didn't in the past. I am not quite sure about when they start making decisions though. On some past forums I've seen people getting acceptances the first week of March so that would be my best guess. A bit later than most schools but since the program doesn't start until January they probably aren't in a rush to make decisions. Sorry I couldn't be of more help! If you have any other questions about the school or the program though let me know! I have some friends in the program and both my undergrad co-ops were PT ones so I have a little bit of insight into that part of the program. Best of luck!

I am waitlisted for Rutgers North. Is it okay to call them and ask for my waitlist number because they didn’t say anything about where I am placed? Any advice is appreciated!!
I don't know anything about Rutgers North specifically, but I think that calling and asking should be fine unless the school explicitly tells you not to. During my interview day with Marymount they were very clear in telling us not to call and ask about waitlist numbers unless you wanted to be bumped to the end of the waitlist. o_O

However, that's the only school I've heard say that. The rest told us that they would have specific numbers, or three main groups (like high, medium, low), or they simply wouldn't know at this time.

I hope this helps! Good luck!

Undergrad: University of Utah
Overall GPA: 3.62
Pre-req GPA: 3.6-3.7 (Depending on School)
GRE: Verbal- 156, Quant-152, AWA-4.0

Observation Hours: 775 Outpatient, 25 Neurological, 30 Skilled Nursing Facility

Work Experience:
1. Adaptive Sports Program
2. Sale Rep for 18 Months
3. Human Physiology TA

Volunteer: Disabled Children Sports Program, Wellness Coach, Sunday School Instructor @ Church, Service Missionary, Wellness Center Intern.

Recommendation Letter
1. 2 PT’s
2. Human Phys Professor
3. Work Supervisor

Applying: University of Utah, Eastern Washington University, Northern Arizona University, Touro Nevada, Rosalind Franklin, Nova Southeastern Ft. Lauderdale, University of Montana
Acceptances: Touro University Nevada (11/08)
Waitlist: University of Montana (Waitlist for Interview), Eastern Washington University (01/05)
Interviews: Rosalind Franklin (11/18/Declined), University of Utah (01/11)
Rejections: NAU

You gonna attend TUN if you don’t get into Utah?

Undergrad: University of Utah
Overall GPA: 3.62
Pre-req GPA: 3.6-3.7 (Depending on School)
GRE: Verbal- 156, Quant-152, AWA-4.0

Observation Hours: 775 Outpatient, 25 Neurological, 30 Skilled Nursing Facility

Work Experience:
1. Adaptive Sports Program
2. Sale Rep for 18 Months
3. Human Physiology TA

Volunteer: Disabled Children Sports Program, Wellness Coach, Sunday School Instructor @ Church, Service Missionary, Wellness Center Intern.

Recommendation Letter
1. 2 PT’s
2. Human Phys Professor
3. Work Supervisor

Applying: University of Utah, Eastern Washington University, Northern Arizona University, Touro Nevada, Rosalind Franklin, Nova Southeastern Ft. Lauderdale, University of Montana
Acceptances: Touro University Nevada (11/08)
Waitlist: University of Montana (Waitlist for Interview), Eastern Washington University (01/05)
Interviews: Rosalind Franklin (11/18/Declined), University of Utah (01/11)
Rejections: NAU

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

You gonna attend TUN if you don’t get into Utah?

Yeah thats what I'm leaning towards right now for sure if Utah doesn't work out. I was down in the area last weekend and I was able to go tour the campus. It was surprisingly really nice inside! The cadaver lab was great, the staff was really friendly, and Henderson seems like a pretty fun place to live. Did you get accepted to TUN?

Yeah thats what I'm leaning towards right now for sure if Utah doesn't work out. I was down in the area last weekend and I was able to go tour the campus. It was surprisingly really nice inside! The cadaver lab was great, the staff was really friendly, and Henderson seems like a pretty fun place to live. Did you get accepted to TUN?

Yes I was accepted and will most likely be attending. I did a tour last month and had similar thoughts as you seemed like a good fit.

UPDATE!
Major: Interdisciplinary Studies
Overall GPA: ~3.0 (PTCAS) ~ 3.4 (after retakes, depending on school)
Pre-Req GPA: 3.93
GRE: Q 153 V 148 and Q 146 V 152 A 3.0 (I just focused on verbal for a super-score)

Extra-Curric: Black Belt in Brazilian Jiu Jitsu

Volunteer: 3 years- small group leader, children's ministry

Applying to: South College (ED), ETSU (withdrawal), Emory and Henry (withdrawal)

Interviews: South College

Waitlisted: South College

Acceptances: South College 1/5

I have read a lot of negative things about this school. Those claims seem to lack any sufficient evidence.

I think this program is very underrated, I base my opinion on speaking with many current students, googling, speaking with mentor PT's and observing a lab intensive. Concerning the first time pass rate, it does not worry me in the least. The school made some changes and many who failed the first time did not take advice to wait and prepare more before the board exam. It is a private school out to make money, just like any other school. Being only 2 years, if you do the math it is the net cheapest school around.

Rejections: N/A

Last edited:
University: VCU
Minor: Chemistry
Overall GPA: 3.71
Pre-Req GPA: ~3.95
GRE: 150 Verbal, 158 Quant, 3.5 Writing
-Deans list for all but one semester
-Member of VCU Honor's College
-CPR/AED/First aid certified
-X ray certified

Observation Hours:
  • 8 hours of pediatrics outpatient
  • 12 hours of home health
  • 900+ hours from working as a PT tech
Extra-Curricular:
Crew club, running club

Employment:
Physical Therapy Technician (present), Organic Chemistry Supplemental Instruction Leader, Lifeguard at VCU gym, Lifeguard/Pool Manager at community pool, Genetics Lab Preceptor (received academic credit)

Letter of Recommendations:
2 from PT’s, 1 from professor (genetics lab)

Applied to:
VCU (ED--> deferred to regular decision), ODU, Radford, Mary Baldwin University/Murphy Deming College of Health Sciences, Shenandoah University, Marymount University, Lynchburg College, Thomas Jefferson University, University of Scranton, Emory & Henry College

Interviews: MBU/MDCHS (10/27), Radford (11/17), Marymount University (declined), Shenandoah University (declined), Emory & Henry College (declined), Thomas Jefferson (declined)

Denied: N/A

Waitlisted: N/A

Accepted: MBU/MDCHS (11/2), Radford (11/21), ODU (12/18)

I'm still waiting to hear back from VCU, do y'all think I have a chance??

Last edited:
UPDATE

University: Temple
Major: Kinesiology Pre-Health
CGPA: 3.36 (Upward Trend)
Pre-Req GPA: 3.36-3.41 depending on school
GRE: 152V 154Q 4.0AW
Observation: 50 hrs outpatient ortho, 50 hrs inpatient acute, 40 hours home health
EC/Volunteer: Pre-PT club, Powerlifting Club, Dean's list, a couple community services
LOR: 2 PTs and 1 Chem Professor

Submitted: Mid - Late September depending on the school

Applied: Temple, Jefferson, MCPHS, Drexel, Touro NY, Marymount, WJU, Franklin Pierce
Interviews: MCPHS (10/18), Temple (11/10), Marymount - Declined (12/02), WJU- Declined(1/26), Drexel (11/17)
Rejected: Jefferson (1/2)
Accepted: MCPHS (11/06), Touro NY - Bayshore (12/15), Temple (1/8)!!!
Waitlisted: Drexel (12/15)

Reactions: 3 users
**ACCEPTANCE UPDATE!!!**

University:
Penn State University
Major: Kinesiology-Movement Science
Overall GPA: 3.50
Pre-Req GPA: 3.39
GRE: Verbal-149, Quant-150, Writing-4.0

E-Submit: 09/07/2017
Verified: 09/08/2017

Observation Hours: outpatient-rehab aide: 1000 hrs, outpatient-volunteer: 240 hrs, inpatient-volunteer: 21 hrs
Extracurriculars: Presented research at Penn State Undergraduate Research Exhibition, Internships at Penn State's Center for Fitness and Wellness, CryoZone Whole Body Therapy, & FMC Corporation-Health and NutritionDivision, Kinesiology Club member, Gamma Phi Beta Sorority member
Honors: Dean's List, Health and Human Development Honor Society
Certifications: Adult CPR/AED, First Aid

LORs: 3 PTs (each from different facilities of employment/volunteer), 1 Kinesiology professor

Applying to: Temple University, Drexel University, Thomas Jefferson University, Widener University, Rutgers University-Newark (North), Rutgers University-Blackwood (South), Seton Hall University, Marymount University, New York University, Long Island University-Brooklyn, New York Institute of Technology

Interviews:
Temple University (11/10), Rutgers-Newark (11/17), NYIT (12/1-cancelled), Marymount University (12/2), Rutgers-Blackwood (12/7), Widener University (12/19), LIU (12/27-invited for express decision week; will not be attending)

Waitlist: Thomas Jefferson University (for interview)

Acceptances: Marymount University (12/6), Rutgers-Blackwood (12/22), Rutgers-Newark (1/4), TEMPLE UNIVERSITY!!! (1/8)

Rejections:
Drexel University

Reactions: 4 users
An update on my status.

University:
Rutgers University-Newark
Major: Journalism & Media Studies
Overall GPA: 3.64
Pre-Req GPA: 3.6
GRE: 1st attempt: 155V 149Q 3.5AW 2nd attempt: 151V 154Q 3.5AW

Extra-Curricular:
Rutgers radio station, Rutgers student newspaper, Journalism internships, volunteered for a multiple sclerosis bike event and job at a warehouse for the last 3 years.

Honors:
Dean's List multiple times, Graduated Cum Laude.

Observation: 205 hours (147 outpatient orthopedics, 58 SNF/Extended-care facility)

Letters of Recommendation:
2 PT's (one from the ortho facility, one from the SNF/Extended-care facility), Biology Professor, My manager from my current job.

Applying to:
Rutgers North, Seton Hall, University of Scranton, UCF, URI, NYIT, Stockton University, Stony Brook University, Marist

Acceptances: URI (1/9/18)

Wait Lists: Rutgers North(1/4/18) Stockton (1/10/18)

Rejections: NYIT (12/5/17) UCF (1/18/18)

Interviews: Rutgers (12/6/17), URI (1/4/18), Stony Brook (1/19/18)

Last edited:
Update: Acceptance!

Undergrad: University of Florida
Overall GPA: 3.59
Pre-Req GPA: 3.6-3.85 depending on the program
GRE: 158V, 159Q, 4.5W
LOR: 1 PT, 1 professor, 1 healthcare professional
Extra-curriculars: Intramural Tennis, Gardening Club, Sorority, Hospital Volunteering
Honors: Cum Laude, Dean's List, President's List, Sorority Academic Award, Economics Honor Society, Academic Honor Society
Observation Hours: 170 total; 102 inpatient geriatric, 68 outpatient orthopedic and pediatric

Applied: Lynchburg, UNF, UCF, Marymount, UNE, URI, Duke, South Carolina
Acceptances: Lynchburg (12/5- declined offer), University of South Carolina (12/6), Marymount (12/6), URI (1/9)
Waitlisted: UNF (12/4), UNE (12/18)
Rejections:
Interviews: UNF (11/14), UCF (11/17), Marymount (12/2), UNE (12/8), URI (1/4)

Last edited:
University: George Mason University
Major: Kinesiology, Psychology Minor
Overall GPA: 3.98
PreReq GPA: 4.0
GRE: 1) V150/Q150/W3.5
2) V147/Q154/W4.0
Extra-Curric: Kinesiology Club VP (2 years)
Volunteer: KEEN Organization
Observation: 55- home health/geriatric, 105- outpatient ortho PT and OT, 30-outpatient ortho, 14-inpatient.
Internship: 20 hours (orthopedic physician assistant shadow), 150 hours general population fitness center, upcoming 150 hours (75 performance/75 clinical- physical therapy), upcoming- summer internship 400 hours (clinical- physical therapy)

APPLIED: UF, UNF, FIU, University of South Carolina, Western Carolina, Methodist, Duke, Gannon, DREXEL, Chatham, Walsh, Marymount, Shenandoah, George Washington

INTERVIEWS: Drexel (10/27), GWU (11/11), UNF (Skype 11/15), Walsh (11/17- declined), Chatham (11/18), Methodist (12/1), Marymount (12/2), WCU (12/8- declined), Shenandoah (12/15)

REJECTED: Marymount (12/6)

WAITLISTED: CU (11/22), UNF (12/4), USC (12/6), Shenandoah (12/18)
*DUKE "still under consideration"(12/1) *GWU- still haven't heard back

ACCEPTED: Gannon (10/15), DREXEL (11/14), Methodist (12/15)

UPDATE

Observation: 50 hrs outpatient ortho, 50 hrs inpatient acute, 40 hours home health
EC/Volunteer: Pre-PT club, Powerlifting Club, Dean's list, a couple community services

Applied: Temple, Jefferson, MCPHS, Drexel, Touro NY, Marymount, WJU, Franklin Pierce
Interviews: MCPHS (10/18), Temple (11/10), Marymount - Declined (12/02), WJU- Declined(1/26), Drexel (11/17)
Accepted: MCPHS (11/06), Touro NY - Bayshore (12/15), Temple (1/8)!!!

What was the process when you got accepted to MCPHS? How long after submitting into PTCAS did you hear back, etc? I applied and am eager to hear back!

What was the process when you got accepted to MCPHS? How long after submitting into PTCAS did you hear back, etc? I applied and am eager to hear back!

The whole process was pretty quick with them. I heard back about a week after I submitted with an invite to interview. Then about 3 weeks later they let me know that I got accepted. They gave me until January 15th to put a deposit down but I’ll be giving up my spot so i hope this helps. Feel free to message me if you have any other specific questions about their process

University:Univeristy of washington Seattle (UW)
Major: Biology (physiology)

Overall GPA:3.18 at university and 3.75(3.5+4.0) from 2 courses at north seattle community college.

Pre-Req GPA: ~3.25, no re-takes but grades ranged from 2.4-4.0

GRE: Q154/V152/W4

Extra-Curric: Men's club vball throughout 4 years of university, and assistant coach for men's/women's vball club at uw after graduation -> current

Volunteer: 140+ hours at uwmc in/out patient, and 35+ hours at orthopedics out patient

Applied: Emory/Henry C, FAMU, Hampton U, Husson U, Marymount U, Touro Nevada, UW seattle, Franklin Pierce U NH/AZ, and Duquesne U

Waitlist: Tourno U Nevada(11/18), Marymount U(12/12)

Acceptances: Franklin Pierce U NH (1/9)

Rejections:

Interviews: Marymount(12/2), Emory/Henry(1/13)

***ACCEPTANCE UPDATE***

University:
VCU
Minor: Chemistry
Overall GPA: 3.71
Pre-Req GPA: ~3.95
GRE: 150 Verbal, 158 Quant, 3.5 Writing
-Deans list for all but one semester
-Member of VCU Honor's College
-CPR/AED/First aid certified
-X ray certified

Observation Hours:
  • 8 hours of pediatrics outpatient
  • 12 hours of home health
  • 900+ hours from working as a PT tech
Extra-Curricular:
Crew club, running club

Employment:
Physical Therapy Technician (present), Organic Chemistry Supplemental Instruction Leader, Lifeguard at VCU gym, Lifeguard/Pool Manager at community pool, Genetics Lab Preceptor (received academic credit)

Letter of Recommendations:
2 from PT’s, 1 from professor (genetics lab)

Applied to:
VCU (ED--> deferred to regular decision), ODU, Radford, Mary Baldwin University/Murphy Deming College of Health Sciences, Shenandoah University, Marymount University, Lynchburg College, Thomas Jefferson University, University of Scranton, Emory & Henry College

Interviews: MBU/MDCHS (10/27), Radford (11/17), Marymount University (declined), Shenandoah University (declined), Emory & Henry College (declined), Thomas Jefferson (declined)

Denied: N/A

Waitlisted: N/A

Accepted: MBU/MDCHS (11/2), Radford (11/21), ODU (12/18), Lynchburg College (1/9)

University:Univeristy of washington Seattle (UW)
Major: Biology (physiology)

Overall GPA:3.18 at university and 3.75(3.5+4.0) from 2 courses at north seattle community college.

Pre-Req GPA: ~3.25, no re-takes but grades ranged from 2.4-4.0

GRE: Q154/V152/W4

Extra-Curric: Men's club vball throughout 4 years of university, and assistant coach for men's/women's vball club at uw after graduation -> current

Volunteer: 140+ hours at uwmc in/out patient, and 35+ hours at orthopedics out patient

Applied: Emory/Henry C, FAMU, Hampton U, Husson U, Marymount U, Touro Nevada, UW seattle, Franklin Pierce U NH/AZ, and Duquesne U

Waitlist: Tourno U Nevada(11/18), Marymount U(12/12)

Acceptances: Franklin Pierce U NH (1/9)

Rejections:

Interviews: Marymount(12/2), Emory/Henry(1/13)

when did you apply to Franklin Pierce, and did you apply to both campuses or just the NH? We have similar stats and same undergrad major from same school and I have yet to here back from them!

when did you apply to Franklin Pierce, and did you apply to both campuses or just the NH? We have similar stats and same undergrad major from same school and I have yet to here back from them!

I applied super early back in early mid July of 2017.
I've applied to both campuses but I've only heard back, via email, from NH so far.
Hope this helps!

University: Virginia Tech
Major: Human Nutrition Foods and Exercise

Overall GPA:3.40

Pre-Req GPA: ~3.25 no re-takes

GRE: Q152/V156/W4

Extra-Curricular: Sorority, Medical volunteer, Work full-time (Dining hall, waitress, and bartender), Student athletic trainer during Freshman/Sophomore years, currently working as an inpatient/outpatient Rehab Tech

Volunteer: 1200 outpatient in 4 different clinics, 200 acute care in 2 different hospitals

Certifications: Basic Life Support/AED First Aid, and NIHSS - 1st Cert

Applied: Rocky Mountain University, Marymount, George Washington University, ODU, VCU, Murphy Deming, Lynchburg

Waitlist: Marymount (12/12), Murphy Deming ("still under consideration")

Acceptances:

Rejections: Rocky Mountain University

Interviews: Marymount(12/2), George Washington (12/1)

UPDATE

EC/Volunteer: Pre-PT club, Powerlifting Club, Dean's list x2, a couple community services

Accepted: MCPHS (11/6), Touro NY - Bayshore (12/15), Temple (1/8), Franklin Pierce NH (1/9) + AZ (3/1), Drexel (4/11)

ATTENDING: TEMPLE UNIVERSITY!!!!!:soexcited:

Last edited:
First time posting

University: Penn State University
Major: Kinesiology
Overall GPA: 3.46
GRE: Verbal-147, Quant-152, Writing-4.0

Observation Hours: outpatient: 440 hrs (ortho, neuro, geriatrics, pediatrics, sports) inpatient: 90 hrs (pediatrics)
Extracurriculars: Undergraduate Learning Assistant, Kinesiology Club executive board member, Kinesiology Peer Mentor, pre-PT club, Div. I athlete, internal transporter at hospital, a few other college clubs
LORs: 2 PT's, 1 Kinesiology professor

Applying to: NYU, MGH IHP, University of Southern California, Rutgers-North, Kean, Drexel, Seton Hall University

Interviews:
NYU (11/11), Rutgers-North (11/17), MGH IHP (invite-only open house), Kean (1/12 declined)
Acceptances: NYU (12/5), MGH IHP (12/20), USC (12/13)
Rejections:

Reactions: 3 users
Has anyone heard from Arcadia? Have they started sending out acceptances or does anyone know when they might? Everyone that I have talked to hasn't heard anything from them after the confirmation email.

Has anyone heard from Arcadia? Have they started sending out acceptances or does anyone know when they might? Everyone that I have talked to hasn't heard anything from them after the confirmation email.
I got an acceptance letter in the mail around December 16th. I declined my offer though, so hopefully you hear from them soon.

Update:Interview
University: University of Washington
Major: Physiology
Pre-Req GPA: 3.2-3.6 depending on retake policy/ classes that count as pre-reqs
Post-bac GPA: 3.8
GRE: 155 152 4

Extra-Curric: Seattle adaptive sports Wheelchair basketball volunteer, Special Olympics basketball volunteer coach, Member Services at the UW IMA (rec center/gym), Lead Referee for Intramural Basketball and Soccer, Retail Sales Footlocker during undergrad, Community volunteer at Bellevue Foursquare Church for 7 years.

Volunteer: 2000+ outpatient Ortho from multiple locations, 40 SNF, 10 home health, 30 inpatient

Applied: AT stills University, Franklin Pierce University, Midwestern University, Northern Arizona University, Nova Southeastern, University of Central Florida, University of Washington, Adventist University of Health Sciences, High Point University, Gannon University (Ruskin), St. Augustine University, Plymouth State University,

Interviews: At Stills (1/19), High Point University (1/5), University of St. Augustine (1/26)

Waitlisted: Midwestern (9/19)

Rejections: NAU (12/13)

I applied to most schools by their deadline or around mid September/ early October if they are rolling admissions.

University: Drexel University

Major: Health and Sciences

Cumulative GPA: 3.28 (1 quarter left)

Pre-Req GPA: 3.3-3.4 (depending on school)

GRE: 155 - Q 160 - A.W (5.0 expected)

Observation Hours: 640 hours in inpatient acute care Setting as pt-aide, and 100 hours to be collected from outpatient therapist in Philadelphia.

Extra-Curricular Activities: A tutor of Drexel writing center, served in Airforce of Republic of Korea (2014-2016) as military police, a member of KISA (Korean International Student Association), a member of Honors Society, a member of Red Cross Disaster Relief Team.

Hi, I am actually applying to PT schools in cycle of 2018! Although as exciting as this journey will be, I am a bit concerned since my GPA is pretty weak on both ends. Plus, even among the pre-req, psychology/statistics are the A's that I have, while other science classes range around B, B+ range (which are considered to be more important - bio/chem/physics/anatomy). Hopefully my GRE will make up for the low GPA. My Question is, should I take upper level science courses to prove my aptitude to successfully manage to graduate PT school, or should I re-take the C+ courses such as (Biology 102, and chemistry 103) to boost pre-req GPA? I had a long talk with my anatomy professor, in which she said taking upper level anatomy courses will show the committee that I will be able to handle complex materials, along with the fact that they count towards cGPA, which brings me to another question. I did look on PTCAS website, but it seems that schools generally do not count upper level science courses towards cGPA. I would prefer not to waste a quarter of studies on upper level science, if they do not count towards pre-req or science GPA. My professor seemed unsure of if it does as well, and I am unable to find a clear answer for this, thus asking on this forum.

Besides from that, I have about 8 months till I apply, so I am trying to be as ready but as realistic as possible. Btws, I am an international student. I understand that there are only handful of those, do you think that application process is more rigorous as there are less number of international students?
I am looking for any, and all recommendations from fellow pre-PT students. Thanks!

Observation Hours: 640 hours in inpatient acute care Setting as pt-aide, and 100 hours to be collected from outpatient therapist in Philadelphia.

Extra-Curricular Activities: A tutor of Drexel writing center, served in Airforce of Republic of Korea (2014-2016) as military police, a member of KISA (Korean International Student Association), a member of Honors Society, a member of Red Cross Disaster Relief Team.

Hi, I am actually applying to PT schools in cycle of 2018! Although as exciting as this journey will be, I am a bit concerned since my GPA is pretty weak on both ends. Plus, even among the pre-req, psychology/statistics are the A's that I have, while other science classes range around B, B+ range (which are considered to be more important - bio/chem/physics/anatomy). Hopefully my GRE will make up for the low GPA. My Question is, should I take upper level science courses to prove my aptitude to successfully manage to graduate PT school, or should I re-take the C+ courses such as (Biology 102, and chemistry 103) to boost pre-req GPA? I had a long talk with my anatomy professor, in which she said taking upper level anatomy courses will show the committee that I will be able to handle complex materials, along with the fact that they count towards cGPA, which brings me to another question. I did look on PTCAS website, but it seems that schools generally do not count upper level science courses towards cGPA. I would prefer not to waste a quarter of studies on upper level science, if they do not count towards pre-req or science GPA. My professor seemed unsure of if it does as well, and I am unable to find a clear answer for this, thus asking on this forum.

Besides from that, I have about 8 months till I apply, so I am trying to be as ready but as realistic as possible. Btws, I am an international student. I understand that there are only handful of those, do you think that application process is more rigorous as there are less number of international students?
I am looking for any, and all recommendations from fellow pre-PT students. Thanks!
I’d honestly shoot to retake the couple core prerequisite classes that are holding your GPA down. Those are the main classes every school you apply to will be looking at. It’s nice to take some extra advanced classes, but the core ones are the most important.

I’d honestly shoot to retake the couple core prerequisite classes that are holding your GPA down. Those are the main classes every school you apply to will be looking at. It’s nice to take some extra advanced classes, but the core ones are the most important.

Thanks for the response!
These are my science classes.
BIO 122 C+ BIO 124 B- BIO 126 B ANAT 101 C+ (B retaken) ANAT 102 B ANAT 103 A- CHEM 101 B CHEM 102 C+ CHEM 103 B+ PHYSICS 101 B (taken at a semester school).
I'm planning on retaking BIO 122 and BIO 102, but should I retake some other courses as well? (for example ANAT 102 as anatomy is the most important course for PT school).

ah.. listing down the grades for science courses really saddens me. I feel like I'm a lost cause.

I think as a whole your application looks good, but if you can focus on your prerequisite and science GPAs (which will ultimately bring up your cumulative GPA) you will have a much better chance. It would be best to get rid of any prereqs you have a C in first and maybe a few of the Bs if you have the time/money. As for biology, you might be able to take an upper level course such as Genetics or Microbiology in lieu of your general biology course (Bio 102?), but this depends on if the school requires either 1 or 2 biology prerequisites and how many you already have to choose from. Getting an A in an upper level science course looks better than an A in the 100/200 level course, but if you don't think you'll get the grade I would just play it safe and retake the general biology course for the easy A. I would contact any schools you are interested in applying to and verify with them if your courses will qualify as a prereq. They can also give you their advice on which courses they would prefer.

Aside from that, your GRE with the 5.0 AW definitely helps and your extracurriculars look solid. It never hurts to do extra volunteering, get involved in research if available, or find more activities with a leadership role. You have a great base in PT observation hours. I would suggest finding 1-3 more PT settings to shadow in such as SNF, home health, pediatrics, etc. Even if you only have about 20 hours in each, it will help round out your application and make you look like you have a better understanding of the profession. Most schools prefer a variety in observation settings versus volume of hours in less settings. When it comes time, be ready to write some stellar essays and keep in contact with those who can write a great recommendation for you. Best of luck!

Thanks for the response!
These are my science classes.
BIO 122 C+ BIO 124 B- BIO 126 B ANAT 101 C+ (B retaken) ANAT 102 B ANAT 103 A- CHEM 101 B CHEM 102 C+ CHEM 103 B+ PHYSICS 101 B (taken at a semester school).
I'm planning on retaking BIO 122 and BIO 102, but should I retake some other courses as well? (for example ANAT 102 as anatomy is the most important course for PT school).

ah.. listing down the grades for science courses really saddens me. I feel like I'm a lost cause.
Don’t be discouraged! If you play your programs right and choose the ones that accept applicants with stats around yours you’ll get in for sure. I’ve seen applicants with lowers stats than yours get into programs.

As for which classes to retake, I agree with the above post to try to get higher than a C in your prerequisites. B’s aren’t really that bad, the C’s are the real eye sore. But your stats really aren’t bad like you think they are. If you come across as a well-rounded applicant then you’ll get into a program. I agree that you could add an additional volunteer setting or two, to stand out in that part of your application and really take the time to write some impactful/moving essays. From my experience, the essays really do count for a lot, so if you can write some stellar essays you’ll be in a good spot. Also, when applying try to apply early to “rolling admission” programs because you’ll have a better chance on getting in if you are one of the first to submit an application.

Hope this helps! Good luck with everything!