GPA's, GRE's, XTRA's, ACCEPTANCES

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
University: junior at University of Northern Iowa
Major: Movement & Exercise Science (major), Biology (minor)
Overall GPA: 3.70
Pre-Req GPA: 3.49
GRE: 159 Q, 156 V, 5.0 W

Extra-Curricular:
- Pre-PT club, I expect to be elected as an officer in May for the next school year
- Teacher Assistant for A&P I&II labs
- Honors Program, so I will graduate with an honors designation
- Selected for the Presidential Scholarship at UNI
- Co-founded a group that did a service project in which we fundraised and did a book drive for elementary students in a nearby low-income school district

Notable:
- Completed a large-scale biomechanics project doing a kinematic analysis over dysfunctional gait
- Will be completing a thesis with a professor next school year

Work:
- 2 jobs as a therapy aide - I currently have 379 hours and that will increase by the time I submit my application:
1. Hospital that has outpatient (including pediatric) and inpatient (acute and subacute/neurological) settings
2. Private practice outpatient clinic

LOR: 1 PT, 1 PT/boss from hospital aide job, 1 professor from major, and 1 professor that I TA for

Will probably apply to: University of Iowa, St. Ambrose University, Des Moines University, Bradley University, Washington University (in St. Louis), Mayo Clinic, Creighton University, Nebraska Medical Center, University of Missouri, University of Wisconsin-LaCrosse, University of Wisconsin-Madison, Hampton University, Belmont University, and Tennessee State University

Hi everybody! I am currently a junior, so I'll be applying for PT school this summer. I'm hoping to receive some feedback about my credentials and what I could do to improve them. The main reason for my concern is because I think my pre-req GPA is low. If anyone has any ideas, I'd love to hear them. Additionally, if anyone knows how my application my look to some of the specific schools I listed that would be very appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Extra-Curricular:
- Pre-PT club, I expect to be elected as an officer in May for the next school year
- Co-founded a group that did a service project in which we fundraised and did a book drive for elementary students in a nearby low-income school district

Notable:
- Completed a large-scale biomechanics project doing a kinematic analysis over dysfunctional gait

Work:
- 2 jobs as a therapy aide - I currently have 379 hours and that will increase by the time I submit my application:
1. Hospital that has outpatient (including pediatric) and inpatient (acute and subacute/neurological) settings

LOR: 1 PT, 1 PT/boss from hospital aide job, 1 professor from major, and 1 professor that I TA for

Will probably apply to: University of Iowa, St. Ambrose University, Des Moines University, Bradley University, Washington University (in St. Louis), Mayo Clinic, Creighton University, Nebraska Medical Center, University of Missouri, University of Wisconsin-LaCrosse, University of Wisconsin-Madison, Hampton University, Belmont University, and Tennessee State University

Hi everybody! I am currently a junior, so I'll be applying for PT school this summer. I'm hoping to receive some feedback about my credentials and what I could do to improve them. The main reason for my concern is because I think my pre-req GPA is low. If anyone has any ideas, I'd love to hear them. Additionally, if anyone knows how my application my look to some of the specific schools I listed that would be very appreciated.
I wouldn't necessarily say your pre-req GPA is low, but definitely average. Your GRE, cGPA, and hours are all strong so I wouldn't worry about it. You still have another year of undergrad so focus on getting all A's and maybe retake a pre-req you got a lower grade in, but to be honest, I think you will be fine and get into most of the schools you're applying to! Good luck!

Reactions: 1 user

Extra-Curricular:

Notable:

Work:

I have pretty comparable stats to yours and also applied to about the same amount of schools. My advice to you is if you are trying to save money don't apply to that many - you will probably get into most of them! The application fees start adding up really quick and with sending GRE's you could end up spending $1000+. I would over research every school and make sure you REALLY want to apply there. It gets pricey and overwhelming real quick...

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Update: Acceptance!

Undergrad: University of Florida
Major: Economics
Overall GPA: 3.59
Pre-Req GPA: 3.6-3.85 depending on the program
GRE: 158V, 159Q, 4.5W
LOR: 1 PT, 1 professor, 1 healthcare professional
Extra-curriculars: Intramural Tennis, Gardening Club, Sorority, HospitalVolunteering
Honors: Cum Laude, Dean's List, President's List, Sorority Academic Award, Economics Honor Society, Academic Honor Society
Observation Hours: 170 total; 102 inpatient geriatric, 68 outpatient orthopedic and pediatric

Applied: Lynchburg, UNF, UCF, Marymount, UNE, URI, Duke, South Carolina
Acceptances: Lynchburg (12/5), University of South Carolina (12/6), Marymount (12/6), URI (1/9), UNE (2/8), UCF (2/14)
Waitlisted: UNF (12/4), UNE (12/18), UCF (2/9)
Rejections:
Interviews: UNF (11/14), UCF (11/17), Marymount (12/2), UNE (12/8), URI (1/4)

Waitlist Update

Rehabilitation Science
CGPA: 3.3
Pre-req 3.2-3.4 depending on school
GRE: 157V 153Q 3.5V
Observation Hours: 800 out-pt rehab aide, 50 VA Hospital Inpatient
Extra-Curric: US Navy 4 Years Enlisted, Tutoring, Neuromuscular research lab - intern

Applied: UNE, Temple, NYIT, NYMC, MCPHS, GW, Thomas Jefferson, UM-B, Stony Brook, D'Youville, Methodist
Interviews: MCPHS (10/18), Temple (11/10), NYIT (Declined), GW(Declined), Methodist (Declined) UNE (3/2)
Rejections: Thomas Jefferson, UM-B, NYMC, Stonybrook
Waitlist: Temple (1/12), D'Youville (2/14)
Acceptances: MCPHS

Waitlist Update

Rehabilitation Science
CGPA: 3.3
Pre-req 3.2-3.4 depending on school
GRE: 157V 153Q 3.5V
Observation Hours: 800 out-pt rehab aide, 50 VA Hospital Inpatient
Extra-Curric: US Navy 4 Years Enlisted, Tutoring, Neuromuscular research lab - intern

Applied: UNE, Temple, NYIT, NYMC, MCPHS, GW, Thomas Jefferson, UM-B, Stony Brook, D'Youville, Methodist
Interviews: MCPHS (10/18), Temple (11/10), NYIT (Declined), GW(Declined), Methodist (Declined) UNE (3/2)
Rejections: Thomas Jefferson, UM-B, NYMC, Stonybrook
Waitlist: Temple (1/12), D'Youville (2/14)
Acceptances: MCPHS

How was your experience at MCPHS?!

** UPDATE!! **

School
: Temple University (Grad Fall 2017)
Major: Kinesiology- Pre Physical Therapy
cGPA: 3.64
Science/Math GPA: 3.49
GRE: 148 Verbal, 151 Quant, 4.5 AWA
Observation hours: 70 outpatient vestibular

Certifications: CPR & AED

Extra-Curricular: Deans list multiple times, 3+ years Pre-PT club- volunteered at multiple Philadelphia community events, volunteer at Temple University's Pro-Bono Clinic, full time job all 4 years, volunteer tutoring in math, AED member

Apply: Temple University, Thomas Jefferson, USciences, Widener, Arcadia, UoScranton, MUSC, UF, USF, UIC, Oklahoma U, Marquette, Touro College- Manhattan

Interviews: Widener University (1/5), USciences (1/11), Temple (2/7)

Waitlist: Thomas Jefferson Interview (10/23), MUSC (12/12), Temple University Interview (1/12)

Acceptances: USciences (1/17), Widener (1/19), Temple (2/9):soexcited:

Rejections: Marquette (12/1), UIC (12/13), USF (1/25), UF (2/15)

Undergrad: UC San Diego
Major: Cognitive Science
Overall GPA: 3.55
Science/Math GPA: 3.60
GRE Scores: Q161 V162 AW4.5
Hours: 32 outpatient ortho (volunteer), 40 inpatient SNF (volunteer), 40 outpatient ortho (volunteer)
Additional: Provost Honors, Research Assistant in 3 different Research Labs (1 paid & 2 volunteer), Triathlon Swim Coach, Hospital Clinical Care Extender, Ambassador of Triathlon Club,
LOR: 2 PTs, 1 Research Professor, 1 Science Professor

Applying to: Azusa Pacific, Cal State Fresno, Chapman, Western Health, Midwestern (Arizona), Northern Arizona, Pacific (Oregon), UNLV, Rocky Mountain, Regis, U of Colorado, U of Washington

Acceptances: Azusa Pacific, Cal State Fresno, Chapman, UNLV, Rocky Mountain

Waitlist: None

Rejections: NAU, Pacific University

Interviews: Azusa Pacific, Cal State Fresno, UNLV, Rocky Mountain, Western Health (declined), Midwestern (Arizona) (declined), Regis (declined), U of Colorado (declined)

Attending: UNLV!! :soexcited:

Last edited:
Majors: Exercise Science (Florida State University)
Prereq and Overall GPA: 3.21 pre-requ; 3.24 total
GRE: 161Q, 157V, 6.0 W
Observation: 100 hours in 3 different settings
Extra Curric: CEO of 501c3 non-profit, many volunteer hours for non-profits, local Florida camps.

Applying: University of Florida, FGCU, FIU

Interview Invites: FIU, FGCU

Acceptances: FGCU, FIU

Rejections:

Attending: FGCU

Hopefully some inspiration for those with terrible GPA's. Just study for the GRE until your eyes bleed.

Hi I'm currently in my senior year at FGCU with similar grades to you as well. What do you think stood out with you' application to be not only competitive but get accepted

Last edited:
Hours: 32 outpatient ortho (volunteer), 40 inpatient SNF (volunteer), 40 outpatient ortho (volunteer)
Additional: Provost Honors, Research Assistant in 3 different Research Labs (1 paid & 2 volunteer), Triathlon Swim Coach, Hospital Clinical Care Extender, Ambassador of Triathlon Club, Team USA

Applying to: Azusa Pacific, Cal State Fresno, Chapman, Western Health, Midwestern (Arizona), Northern Arizona, Pacific (Oregon), UNLV, Rocky Mountain, Regis, U of Colorado, U of Washington

Interviews: Azusa Pacific, Cal State Fresno, UNLV, Rocky Mountain, Western Health (declined), Midwestern (Arizona) (declined), Regis (declined), U of Colorado (declined)

Congratulations! When did you interview with APU & how long did it take for them to get back to you?

University: Sam Houston

Major: kinesiology/Biology minor

Overall GPA: 3.19
Pre-Req GPA: 3.23
GRE: 155/155/3.5

Extra-Curric:
SHSU rugby
Restaurant manager (full time/ 5yrs)
Caretaker (part time/3 yrs)

Volunteer:
500 hours outpatient Ortho
20 hours inpatient neurological

Applied: Incarnate Word, Marymount, UTEP, Regis, Duquesne, hampton, Creighton

Rejections: Regis, Duquesne, hampton

Interviews: Incarnate Word, Marymount

Waitlist: UTEP, Marymount

Accepted: Incarnate Word

Just wanted to give some hope to those out there with some less than stellar stats. I definitely felt like the interview, essays, and letters of recommendation worked heavily in my favor.

Hey yall,

When I first checked this thread back in November 2017, while applying to PT programs, I was absolutely horrified. After reading post after post of people getting into DPT programs with 3.6-3.9 GPAs, I almost gave up in the middle of my applications. It was very demoralizing but I am glad to have stuck with my decision to keep applying. I want to share my experience with others who may have similar GPAs to mine and have seriously doubted their "chances" to get in. This was my first time applying to PT school and I was absolutely shocked by the results. If you have a low GPA but PT is really your dream, don't give up without at least trying it once.

College: Rochester
Major: Publich Health
Overall GPA: 3.19
Pre-Req GPA:3.31
GRE: 156 Q, 156 V, 4.5 AW

Extra-Curric: Varsity athlete in 2 different sports during undergrad.

Observation: Volunteer at hospital (inpatient) for the 2 years, volunteered at 2 different outpatient PT settings. Total Hours: Inpatient + Outpatient: ~700

References: 3 physical therapists, 1 professor. (I obtained a reference letter from the supervisor of PT rehab at the hospital I volunteered at. I believed it helped my application a lot.)

Applied: Due to my low GPA, I applied to as many programs (22) as I could. To name a few: LIU, Mercy, Stony Brook, CSI, NYMC, NYIT, Sage, West Coast, Widener, Temple, Alvernia, Nova, Augusta, Campbell, Murphy Deming, Concordia, Arkansas, Washington University, etc.

Interviews: Augusta University (accepted), Mercy College: (accepted), Stony Brook (accepted), Campbell University (declined)

Waitlist: none

Rejections: Concordia, NYMC, NYIT, CSI, Murphy Deming

Acceptances: Augusta University

Thank you for that. We have similar stats as I played basketball during Undergrad. I will have separated from Active Duty AF after 6 years as I am beginning to place applications. Do you think military service will have any weight as schools look through applications? Thanks

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello

I was told by my Marymount u interview that my personal statement was really good. It really depends on what kinda prompt you get to best fit your personality and experiences you can write, but make sure you write down your true passion and motivation to be a PT. I have a lot of passion to become one even if I have zero experience consulting a PT for personal injuries/needs. And it’s not like I’m really good at writing nor have the best vocab to woo the readers but I overflowed the essay with all of me and what I could add to the program and the profession should I be admitted.

I also knew all of my letters of rec providers really well and I think it’s important that they really like you and trust that you will make a PT.

Especially since both my gpa and my GRE scores aren’t at all that competitive, I can only imagine that I’ve gotten acceptances and waitlists through my essays and letters of rec.

I also e-submitted with necessary/sufficient materials sent to schools and ptcas as of mid July, and the cycle opens beginning of July or late June. Every admin folks of schools will tell you to APPLY EARLY. I think that also has helped me.

Best of luck!

Let me know if you have any more questions.

Update
University:Univeristy of washington Seattle (UW)
Major: Biology (physiology)

Overall GPA:3.18 at university and 3.75(3.5+4.0) from 2 courses at north seattle community college.

Pre-Req GPA: ~3.25, no re-takes but grades ranged from 2.4-4.0

GRE: Q154/V152/W4

Extra-Curric: Men's club vball throughout 4 years of university, and assistant coach for men's/women's vball club at uw after graduation -> current

Volunteer: 140+ hours at uwmc in/out patient, and 35+ hours at orthopedics out patient

Applied: Emory/Henry C, FAMU, Hampton U, Husson U, Marymount U, Touro Nevada, UW seattle, Franklin Pierce U NH/AZ, and Duquesne U

Waitlist: Tourno U Nevada(11/18), Marymount U(12/12), Duquesne U(1/22)

Acceptances: Franklin Pierce U NH (1/9), Marymount U (1/16 off of waitlist, declined 1/23)

Rejections:

Interviews: Marymount(12/2), Emory/Henry(1/13-declined)

did you follow up via email or phone call with marymount. im curious as to what i can work on for next cycle s well.

FINAL UPDATE

University: UF
Major: APK
Overall GPA: 3.52
Pre-req GPA: 3.2ish (depending on the program)
GRE: 152Q 148V 4

Extracurriculars: Undergrad PT club, Various exercise science clubs, Gator Pals (tutor/educate elementary kids the importance of living a healthy lifestyle), Dance Marathon, Gators Going Green (sustainability club)

Volunteer Hours: Inpatient (30+), Outpatient (140+)... my neuro hours fell within both settings as well

Employment: Various part-time jobs throughout undergrad (valet, cabana boy, etc), worked as an exercise tech part-time the summer of applying for PT schools, currently completing a full-time internship (minimum 520 hours) as an exercise tech at the same place I worked at over the summer (HIGHLY RECOMMEND WORKING AS A TECH IF YOU CAN BEFORE PT SCHOOL)

Applied: UF, UCF, South Alabama, FGCU, FIU, FAMU, Gannon-Ruskin, Nova (hybrid), USA (St. Augustine), ADU (Orlando)
Interview: Nova-denied, USA, ADU, Gannon(Ruskin)-denied
Waitlist: ADU (Accepted 2/1)
Denied: UF, UCF, South Alabama, FIU
Accepted: FAMU(accepted), ADU (denied), St. Augustine (denied)

I just interviewed with USA, so depending on how that went I will be deciding between USA and FAMU. I am leaning FAMU because it is closer to home and half the cost of USA, but I really like how USA places an emphasis on manual therapy and preparing the best clinicians as opposed to other programs that are research-based...but that 120K+ cost of attendance (yikes)

I have not heard anything from FGCU or Gannon so I am assuming rejections...

I was very discouraged through the entire process with having a low pre-req GPA and GRE scores, but that first acceptance made it all worth it! The only regret I have is applying to too many programs out of nervousness because I did not pay attention to the program start dates and assumed they all started in the fall, but ADU and Nova started one day and one week after I would graduate from UF in the summer and jumping into PT school that quick is not something I was comfortable with. I also did not finish my applications until October which also probably hurt me.

Also, PT programs DO NOT care where you completed your degree/pre-reqs. I struggled with my pre-reqs at UF because they made the classes way harder than they needed to be, so do not feel you are at a disadvantage if you take your classes at a JUCO (I kind of wish I would've my GPA would have been a lot higher and I might have gotten into my top choices...but everything happens for a reason!)

TLDR; DO YOUR RESEARCH and APPLY EARLY

Good luck everyone!

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
did you follow up via email or phone call with marymount. im curious as to what i can work on for next cycle s well.
I didn't do any follow up emails. At the end of the interview, they told us to not contact them to ask for positions on the waitlist or anything, they also said we'd be put on the bottom of the wait list if we contacted them. That whole interview process was cool, but what they told us in the end kinda made me shy away from the program. Any C's of pending prereqs taken had to be re-taken upon "conditional" acceptance to Marymount. It sounds like they're trying to make their program more competitive.

Non-trad student here!

Undergrad: BA in literature and theatre, 2007

My cumulative GPA was 3.55, but I think it makes more sense to break it into my undergrad GPA (3.36) and my postbac GPA (4.00). I took the vast majority of my prereqs (50+ credit hours) as a postbac in the last couple of years.

GRE: 168 Verbal, 161 Quant, 4.5 Writing

Hours: 2000+ as an aide at an outpatient ortho clinic. An additional 40-ish shadowing hours spread between SNF, outpatient peds, and school PT.

I have a wide (and weird) variety of work and volunteer/extracurricular experience, including teaching, lots of outdoors stuff, and marketing.

Letters of rec: 2 PTs (one of whom is my supervisor, the other of whom is another PT working at the clinic I work at), exercise physiology prof, and a volunteer supervisor.

Applied: 13 programs! Pacific University, University of Puget Sound, University of Washington, Eastern Washington University, Idaho State University, University of Montana, University of Colorado, Regis University, University of Utah, Rocky Mountain University, University of New Mexico, Northern Arizona University, University of Nevada Las Vegas

Interviewed at: Pacific, CU, Regis, Utah, RMU, UNLV

Declined interview invitations at: UNM, Montana

Rejected: NAU (prob due to my cumulative GPA -- I hear they have a very high GPA cut-off for out-of-state students. Wish I'd known before I applied!)

Waitlist: UPS

Accepted: EWU, Utah, RMU, Pacific, UNLV ($3k scholarship), CU, Regis ($20k scholarship), ISU, UW

I went into the process with no idea how competitive my application would or wouldn't be, really intimidated by the acceptance percentages I'd seen, so I hope this info helps someone! I don't think I needed to apply to 13 programs, and boy was the process stressful (I wrote 15 essays!) and expensive. Knowing what I know now, I would definitely have been pickier to begin with. For what it's worth, I don't think I submitted any application more than a couple days before the deadline (deadlines for these programs spanned from 10/2 to 12/15). I've heard folks say applying closer to the deadline can hurt your application, but I did not find that to be true to my experience.

Edited 2/20 to include my last acceptance. :)

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Non-trad student here!

Undergrad: BA in literature and theatre, 2007

My cumulative GPA was 3.55, but I think it makes more sense to break it into my undergrad GPA (3.36) and my postbac GPA (4.00). I took the vast majority of my prereqs (50+ credit hours) as a postbac in the last couple of years.

GRE: 168 Verbal, 161 Quant, 4.5 Writing

Hours: 2000+ as an aide at an outpatient ortho clinic. An additional 40-ish shadowing hours spread between SNF, outpatient peds, and school PT.

I have a wide (and weird) variety of work and volunteer/extracurricular experience, including teaching, lots of outdoors stuff, and marketing.

Letters of rec: 2 PTs (one of whom is my supervisor, the other of whom is another PT working at the clinic I work at), exercise physiology prof, and a volunteer supervisor.

Applied: 13 programs! Pacific University, University of Puget Sound, University of Washington, Eastern Washington University, Idaho State University, University of Montana, University of Colorado, Regis University, University of Utah, Rocky Mountain University, University of New Mexico, Northern Arizona University, University of Nevada Las Vegas

Interviewed at: Pacific, CU, Regis, Utah, RMU, UNLV

Declined interview invitations at: UNM, Montana

Rejected: NAU (prob due to my cumulative GPA -- I hear they have a very high GPA cut-off for out-of-state students. Wish I'd known before I applied!)

Waitlist: UPS

Accepted: EWU, Utah, RMU, Pacific, UNLV ($3k scholarship), CU, Regis ($20k scholarship), ISU

Still haven't heard from: UW

I went into the process with no idea how competitive my application would or wouldn't be, really intimidated by the acceptance percentages I'd seen, so I hope this info helps someone! I don't think I needed to apply to 13 programs, and boy was the process stressful (I wrote 15 essays!) and expensive. Knowing what I know now, I would definitely have been pickier to begin with. For what it's worth, I don't think I submitted any application more than a couple days before the deadline (deadlines for these programs spanned from 10/2 to 12/15). I've heard folks say applying closer to the deadline can hurt your application, but I did not find that to be true to my experience.

Have you decided on where you will be attending?

Have you decided on where you will be attending?

I put down a deposit at Pacific! I was strongly considering Regis and CU, but I live in the Portland area and the reasons to leave just aren't strong enough (I love it here, and especially as an older student, I'm happy to continue putting down roots in the region). I haven't officially declined at Regis yet, though (their deadline is the 23rd), just in case I have a major change of heart in the next little bit. The decision-making process has been pretty agonizing, but I've been really thankful to have great options to have to choose between!

Additional: Provost Honors, Research Assistant in 3 different Research Labs (1 paid & 2 volunteer), Triathlon Swim Coach, Hospital Clinical Care Extender, Ambassador of Triathlon Club, Team USA

See you there!!

Update

University:
Eastern Washington University
Majors: Biology
Overall GPA: 3.56
Pre-Req GPA: 3.50-3.73
GRE: 157 Verbal, 162 Quant, 4.0 Writing

Observation Hours: 40 SNF, 16 Acute inpatient, 70 Occupational Orthopedic, 50 Free-standing Outpatient

Experiences: 3 years working retail, High School speech and debate coach, Provided Humanitarian medical aid in Costa Rica, Cadaver Lab TA, Undergraduate Toxicology Research, Co-authored presentation at SETAC world congress.

LORs: 2PT, Professor in major, employer

Applied to:
ASU, AT Still, Rosalind Franklin, Shenandoah, TWU, TSU, UNLV, UMHB, UTSA, UTEP, UTMBG, UTSMBD, UW, WCU, Texas Tech, Touro Nevada

Interviews: Texas Tech 10/6, UTMB 11/3, UMHB 11/9, UNLV 1/26, GFU 1/27, RFU (declined), AT Still (declined), Texas State 12/4 (Declined), WCU (declined), UTSMBD (declined), UTSA (declined)

Waitlisted: TWU

Rejected: UTEP

Acceptances: Touro Nevada, UTMB, UMHB, UNLV, Texas Tech-Odessa, GFU

Attending: UNLV!

E-Submit:
8/10/17

Reactions: 2 users
FINAL DECISION!!!! Good luck to those still waiting to hear back/making decisions!!!

University:
Wake Forest University
Major: Health and Exercise Science (with Psychology minor)
Overall GPA: 3.60
Pre-Req GPA: ~3.50 depending on the program
GRE: 155V 156Q 5.0AW

Extra-Curricular:
varsity cheerleader (freshman and sophomore year), tour guide all four years, student athlete tutor, annual committee member for dance marathon for cancer research, various leadership positions within sorority, worked as a PT tech over the summer

Honors: HES Honors student (includes being a research assistant for a clinical research study and writing an honors thesis), Dean's List 4 out of the past 7 semesters with 3 being both semesters of Junior year and this fall

Observation: 260 hours (190 outpatient orthopedics, 70 SNF/Extended-care facility)

Letters of Recommendation:
HES professor/academic advisor/HES Honors advisor, HES professor/HES Honors advisor, PT (from outpatient orthopedics), PTA (from outpatient orthopedics)

Applied to:
VCU, Radford, ODU, Lynchburg, Duke, Elon, High Point, USC, MUSC, Belmont, Emory

Accepted: High Point (11/15), Radford (11/21), ODU (1/30), Emory (2/8)
Waitlisted: MUSC (12/12)
Rejected: N/A
Interviews: High Point (10/27), Radford (11/17), Emory (1/12), Belmont (2/16 - declined), Elon (3/2 - declined)
Attending: EMORY UNIVERSITY!!!!! :soexcited::banana::clap:

Final Update!

School: Florida State
Major: Exercise Science
Minor: Chemistry
Cum GPA: 3.5
Pre-Req GPA: ~3.3-3.5 depending on school
GRE: 156Q 153V 4.0W

Extra-Curricular: Research Assistant at University's college of human science, National Honor Society member

Volunteer: 50 geriatric

Observation Hours: 800 outpatient orthopedic, neurological (worked as PT aide)

LoR's: Ex. testing and Rx professor & 2 PTs
Applied To: NSU, UCF, UF, FIU, URI, WCU, UMES

Acceptances: UMES, FIU

Rejections: UCF, UF, WCU

Waitlisted: URI

Going to: FIU! :)

Update: ACCEPTEDDDDDDDD x2!!!
University
: William Paterson University
Major: BS - Biology
Overall GPA: 3.43
Pre-Req GPA: 3.32
Science GPA: 3.40
GRE: 152V 153 Q 4.0 AW

Volunteer: 200+ outpatient, 50+ inpatient (hospital), 100+ outpatient pediatrics

Work: 2 outpatient clinics

Applied:
Dominican College
Long Island University - Brooklyn Campus
Mercy College
Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey (Newark/North Campus)
Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey (Stratford/South)
Seton Hall University
SUNY Downstate

(submitted: 9/1, verified: 9/15)

Recommendation Letters: 3 PT's and a former professor. (4 total)

Acceptances: RUTGERS North!!!! (Top choice school) LIU Brooklyn!

Attending: Rutgers North :)

Rejections: Rutgers South,

Waitlist: Dominican, Mercy College

I will be foregoing my seat at LIU so hopefully that helps someone out here who is on the LIU waitlist! Loved their program but it's just too far and I want to save money by commuting from home!

Update! Will be attending UNE this fall.

Major:
BS in Nutrition Science
Overall GPA: 3.49
Pre-Req GPA: 3.8
GRE: 150V 147Q 3.5AW

Honors: National Honors Society, Dean's list one time and president's list 7 times during my BS.
Certifications: CPR, Personal Trainer and Pharmacy Technician.

Observation: 120 Outpatient in 3 different settings
Letters of Recommendation: 1 DPT, 1 Professor, Employer.

I applied late October 24th.

Applied to: Regis, UCF, UF, NEU, FIU, Thomas Jefferson, Nova Southeastern University (Ft Lauderdale) and USF.
Interviews: UNE, Thomas Jefferson
Acceptances: UNE (attending)
Rejections: UCF, USF, Regis

Update! Will be attending UNE this fall.

Major:
BS in Nutrition Science
Overall GPA: 3.49
Pre-Req GPA: 3.8
GRE: 150V 147Q 3.5AW

Honors: National Honors Society, Dean's list one time and president's list 7 times during my BS.
Certifications: CPR, Personal Trainer and Pharmacy Technician.

Observation: 120 Outpatient in 3 different settings
Letters of Recommendation: 1 DPT, 1 Professor, Employer.

I applied late October 24th.

Applied to: Regis, UCF, UF, NEU, FIU, Thomas Jefferson, Nova Southeastern University (Ft Lauderdale) and USF.
Interviews: UNE, Thomas Jefferson
Acceptances: UNE (attending)
Rejections: UCF, USF, Regis
Yaaay, congrats on UNE!!

Update: ACCEPTEDDDDDDDD x2!!!
University

Volunteer: 200+ outpatient, 50+ inpatient (hospital), 100+ outpatient pediatrics

Applied:
Dominican College
Mercy College
Seton Hall University
SUNY Downstate

Acceptances: RUTGERS North!!!! (Top choice school) LIU Brooklyn!

I will be foregoing my seat at LIU so hopefully that helps someone out here who is on the LIU waitlist! Loved their program but it's just too far and I want to save money by commuting from home!

Congrats! Did you get the call today?

***ACCEPTANCE UPDATE***

University:
VCU
Major: Biology
Minor: Chemistry
Overall GPA: 3.71
Pre-Req GPA: ~3.95
GRE: 150 Verbal, 158 Quant, 3.5 Writing
-Deans list for all but one semester
-Member of VCU Honor's College
-CPR/AED/First aid certified
-X ray certified

Observation Hours:
  • 8 hours of pediatrics outpatient
  • 12 hours of home health
  • 900+ hours from working as a PT tech
Extra-Curricular:
Crew club, running club

Employment:
Physical Therapy Technician (present), Organic Chemistry Supplemental Instruction Leader, Lifeguard at VCU gym, Lifeguard/Pool Manager at community pool, Genetics Lab Preceptor (received academic credit)

Letter of Recommendations:
2 from PT’s, 1 from professor (genetics lab)

Applied to:
VCU (ED--> deferred to regular decision), ODU, Radford, Mary Baldwin University/Murphy Deming College of Health Sciences, Shenandoah University, Marymount University, Lynchburg College, Thomas Jefferson University, University of Scranton, Emory & Henry College

Interviews: MBU/MDCHS (10/27), Radford (11/17), Marymount University (declined), Shenandoah University (declined), Emory & Henry College (declined), Thomas Jefferson (declined)

Denied: N/A

Waitlisted: N/A

Accepted: MBU/MDCHS (11/2), Radford (11/21), ODU (12/18), Lynchburg College (1/9), VCU (1/31)

Attending: VCU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :soexcited::soexcited::soexcited::soexcited::soexcited::soexcited::soexcited:
Congratulations!!!

ACCEPTANCE UPDATE!
University: Washington State University
Major: Kinesiology
Overall GPA: 3.65
Pre-Req GPA: 3.1 – 3.3 depending on the school (retook a class I got a D in and got an A so depends if they replace or average)
GRE: 153 V, 154 Q, 4.0 Writing

Hours: 716 Outpatient, 22 SNF
Work Experience: Current PT Aide, lots of prior customer service
Volunteer: SNF and some community service stuff throughout my undergrad
Extra: Pre-PT Club, Kinesiology Club, CPR/First Aid, President’s Honor Roll all semesters

Recommendation Letter
1. 2 PT’s
2. Biology Professor

Applications submitted & verified: 9/20 & 9/22

Applying: AT Still, Elon U, Franklin Pierce U (AZ), Indiana State U, Marymount U, Methodist U, Shenandoah U, South College, U of Mary, Wingate U, Plymouth State U, Gannon U Ruskin, Gannon U Erie, U of St Augustine (Austin TX)
Interviews: South College, Methodist U (12/2), Shenandoah University (12/15), Indiana State University (1/11), Gannon U Ruskin (1/14), University of Mary (2/16)
Interview Waitlist: Elon University (12/18)
Alternate list: Shenandoah (12/18)
Waitlists: South College (10/16), Methodist U (12/15)
Rejections: Marymount U (11/10)
Acceptances: Methodist University (1/30), Indiana State University (2/14)

ATTENDING:

Do you know where you will be attending? Just curious :)

ACCEPTANCE UPDATE!
University: Washington State University
Major: Kinesiology
Overall GPA: 3.65
Pre-Req GPA: 3.1 – 3.3 depending on the school (retook a class I got a D in and got an A so depends if they replace or average)
GRE: 153 V, 154 Q, 4.0 Writing

Hours: 716 Outpatient, 22 SNF
Work Experience: Current PT Aide, lots of prior customer service
Volunteer: SNF and some community service stuff throughout my undergrad
Extra: Pre-PT Club, Kinesiology Club, CPR/First Aid, President’s Honor Roll all semesters

Recommendation Letter
1. 2 PT’s
2. Biology Professor

Applications submitted & verified: 9/20 & 9/22

Applying: AT Still, Elon U, Franklin Pierce U (AZ), Indiana State U, Marymount U, Methodist U, Shenandoah U, South College, U of Mary, Wingate U, Plymouth State U, Gannon U Ruskin, Gannon U Erie, U of St Augustine (Austin TX)
Interviews: South College, Methodist U (12/2), Shenandoah University (12/15), Indiana State University (1/11), Gannon U Ruskin (1/14), University of Mary (2/16)
Interview Waitlist: Elon University (12/18)
Alternate list: Shenandoah (12/18)
Waitlists: South College (10/16), Methodist U (12/15)
Rejections: Marymount U (11/10)
Acceptances: Methodist University (1/30), Indiana State University (2/14)

ATTENDING:
Have you heard anything from Gannon PA?

First time posting :)
University: University of Missouri - Columbia (Mizzou)
Major: Health Sciences
Overall GPA: 3.53
Pre-Req GPA: 3.1 - 3.92, depending on how re-taken classes are calculated
GRE: 145Q, 164V, 6.0 AWA

Extra-Curricular: mentor for underprivileged youth (1 year), therapeutic horsemanship volunteer (2+ years), adult day center volunteer (1 year), completed a health professions internship abroad

Honors: Tau Sigma (transfer student honor society), Phi Theta Kappa (community college honor society), Dean’s List 2x

Certifications: Global Ambassadors for Patient Safety

Observation: 70 hours (10 hours pediatrics, 35 hours outpatient orthopedic, 25 hours inpatient acute abroad)

Letters of Recommendation: chemistry professor, therapeutic horsemanship supervisor, adult day center supervisor

Applied to: Washington University in St. Louis, Rockhurst, Mizzou
Rejections: n/a
Waitlisted: Wash U (2/9)
Interviews: Rockhurst (declined), Mizzou (2/17)
Acceptances: :happy:Mizzou!!!:happy: (2/20)

I am just so happy to finally know that I will be going to grad school this summer!! I was extremely worried that my GRE Quant score, along with my PTCAS pre-req GPA, would keep me from being accepted anywhere.

If you're like me and re-took more than one of your pre-reqs at a community college, I definitely suggest looking into programs that do not use PTCAS. Mizzou's system (thankfully) replaced my old grades with my new ones, giving me the 3.92 pre req GPA which helped my application out so much.

Good luck everyone!!

ACCEPTANCE UPDATE

University: Ole Miss

Major: Exercise Science

Overall GPA: 3.69

Pre-Req GPA: 3.75

GRE: V 155 Q 145 AW 3.5

Extra-Curric: Assisted PhD student candidate with data collection in research project.
2 semesters of research project within Exercise Psychology Lab
Honors College
Phi Theta Kappa Member
Phi Theta Kappa Officer

Awards: Undergraduate award in exercise science, Chancellor's Honor Roll, Various scholarships

Observation: 152 hours
Inpatient, Outpatient, Neuro and Vestibular, Pediatrics, Private practice (general, neuro, and sports)

Rec's: 2 PT's, 1Assistant Professor

Volunteer: Volunteer at 5K event for organ donation awareness, Read Across America event for youth literacy awareness, Halloween event for local elementary schools, Special Olympics events

Applications:Univ. Tennessee Chattanooga, UMMC, Belmont, USF, UAB, South Alabama, TX state

Waitlist: UT Chatt, UAB,
Rejections: TX State, USF
Interviews: Belmont (deferred), UMMC (rejected)

ACCEPTED: SOUTH ALABAMA

i honestly thought i wouldn’t get it in this cycle but everything worked out for the best. always remember to trust the process!

University:Arizona State University
Major:Kinesiology
Overall GPA: 3.52
Pre-Req GPA: 3.2
GRE:156 Verbal, 158 Math, 4.0 Writing

Extra-Curric: undergraduate research with professor, dance teacher, part of sun devil ski club, dean's list 6 times

Volunteer: Night to Shine, Research lab (for professor)

Obsevation: 155 hours (135 in outpatient ortho and 20 acute care hours)

LoR: 1 PT (did with internship), 1 professor (research professor), and boss for teaching dance

Applied: URI, NAU, Chapman

Interviews: URI (1/4/18), NAU (1/26/18)

Waitlisted: URI and Chapman

Rejections: None

Accepted: NAU Flagstaff campus (2/3/18)

Truly believed I would be taking a year off to strengthen my application! But very happy to be attending NAU flagstaff.

First time posting :)
University: University of Missouri - Columbia (Mizzou)
Major: Health Sciences
Overall GPA: 3.53
Pre-Req GPA: 3.1 - 3.92, depending on how re-taken classes are calculated
GRE: 145Q, 164V, 6.0 AWA

Extra-Curricular: mentor for underprivileged youth (1 year), therapeutic horsemanship volunteer (2+ years), adult day center volunteer (1 year), completed a health professions internship abroad

Honors: Tau Sigma (transfer student honor society), Phi Theta Kappa (community college honor society), Dean’s List 2x

Certifications: Global Ambassadors for Patient Safety

Observation: 70 hours (10 hours pediatrics, 35 hours outpatient orthopedic, 25 hours inpatient acute abroad)

Letters of Recommendation: chemistry professor, therapeutic horsemanship supervisor, adult day center supervisor

Applied to: Washington University in St. Louis, Rockhurst, Mizzou
Rejections: n/a
Waitlisted: Wash U (2/9)
Interviews: Rockhurst (declined), Mizzou (2/17)
Acceptances: :happy:Mizzou!!!:happy: (2/20)

I am just so happy to finally know that I will be going to grad school this summer!! I was extremely worried that my GRE Quant score, along with my PTCAS pre-req GPA, would keep me from being accepted anywhere.

If you're like me and re-took more than one of your pre-reqs at a community college, I definitely suggest looking into programs that do not use PTCAS. Mizzou's system (thankfully) replaced my old grades with my new ones, giving me the 3.92 pre req GPA which helped my application out so much.

Good luck everyone!!
What is the interview process like at Mizzou? Also how are the facilities? I grew up near columbia and I am planning to apply there next year, but I really haven’t heard much about the interview or the program in general.

Have you heard anything from Gannon PA?
I haven't heard anything besides that first phone call that they received my app. I also applied and interviewed at Gannon FL and still haven't heard anything over a month later.

I haven't heard anything besides that first phone call that they received my app. I also applied and interviewed at Gannon FL and still haven't heard anything over a month later.
They said they would be sending out the last round of acceptances here in late February. I only applied to the Erie campus and was invited to an information session, but it was canceled due to weather and have not heard anything since. I'm getting impatient.

They said they would be sending out the last round of acceptances here in late February. I only applied to the Erie campus and was invited to an information session, but it was canceled due to weather and have not heard anything since. I'm getting impatient.
Ahh that's stressful. The Ruskin campus said 2-3 weeks and the interview was over 4 weeks ago.

Update: ACCEPTEDDDDDDDD
University

Applied:
Dominican College
Mercy College
Seton Hall University
SUNY Downstate

Acceptances: RUTGERS North!!!! (Top choice school)

Congratulations on your acceptance! Do you remember when you sent your application into Mercy College? I still haven't heard back with any kind of decision.

Congratulations on your acceptance! Do you remember when you sent your application into Mercy College? I still haven't heard back with any kind of decision.
Not the poster you're referring to, but I applied for mercy during early decision and got accepted by January. One of my coworkers who is currently a second year student told me that some of the applicants who have interviewed would get decisions around April. So don't be too discoursged if you haven't heard back yet!

I had to contact them, called them directly and asked. It's doubtful that there will be movement off the waitlist for Mercy since I also saw that they opened a Mercy FB page of 2021 and it has 32 members enrolled. Crossing my fingers for you!

Anyone Applying to Andrews University in Michigan

Hi ! I applied to andrews and just got another email today saying they were in the second phase of holding my application? im not quite sure what that means! have you heard anything?!

Final Update!

Majors: B.S. General Biology, University of California: San Diego

Prereq, Overall GPA, and Last 60 Units: pGPA: ~3.7-3.8, cGPA: 2.96, last 60 units: 3.8 GRE: 159Q, 149V, 5.0AW

Observation: 695 Outpatient Hours, 250 Inpatient Hours

Submitted to PTCAS: 8/1/17

Applying: Shenandoah University, AT Still University, CSU Northridge, East Tennessee State University, Emory & Henry College, Governors State University, MGHIHP, Regis University, Bellarmine University, South College, Tennessee State University, University of Arkansas Medical Sciences, University of Mary, High Point University, William Carey University, University of Mary Hardin-Baylor, University of Saint Augustine San Marcos

Acceptance: AT Still University (10/9), MGH IHP (12/20), USA San Marcos (2/6)

Interview Invites: South College (Waitlisted 9/4), University of Mary Hardin-Baylor (Waitlisted 10/5), AT Still University (Accepted 10/6), Emory and Henry College (received invite on 10/23 for 11/18 interview - Declined), MGH IHP Open House Invitation (received invite on 11/1 for 12/2 - Attending [live stream]), University of Arkansas Medical Sciences (received invite on 11/20 for 12/1 interview - Declined,) Shenandoah University (received invite on 11/21 for 12/15 interview - Declined), Bellarmine University (Received Invite to Interview on 12/14 for 2/9/18 - Declined)

Rejection: Governors State University (11/17), Regis University (12/15), CSU Northridge, East Tennessee State University, Tennessee State University, University of Mary, High Point University, William Carey University

Final Decision: AT Still University !!! :soexcited::soexcited::soexcited:

I’ve been watching this thread for years and I’m excited to finally post my stats!

University: UNC
Major: Exercise and sport science
Overall GPA: 3.08
Masters GPA: 3.82
Pre-Req GPA: varies but in the 3.5-3.6 range
GRE: 152 Verbal, 155 Math, 3.5 Writing

Extra-Curric: meals on wheels, work with special needs community

Honors: Dean’s list a few times

Obsevation: 265 hours (198 inpatient, 43 outpatient, 24 home health)

LOR: 2 PTs and 1 professor (Graduate program director)

Applied: Duke, ECU, GWU, Methodist, UNC, WCU, Wingate, WSSU, Campbell, High Point

Interviews: Campbell, Methodist, GWU(declined)

Waitlisted: Methodist

Rejections: Duke, ECU, UNC, WCU, High Point

Accepted: Campbell, Methodist, Wingate, WSSU

Attending: UC San Francisco / San Francisco State :soexcited::love:

University
: UCLA
Major: Biochemistry
Minor: LGBT Studies
Overall GPA: 3.38
Pre-Req GPA: ~3.5
GRE: 162V, 162Q, 5.0AW

Extra-Curric: College Marching Band (4 years), Student leader in a pro-bono primary care clinic in Mexico (2 years), Volunteer in various health orgs, Study Abroad in Spain (3 months), Server at a Chain Restaurant (1 year)

Observation: PT Aide at an outpatient private practice (400 hours), Volunteer in inpatient hospital (50 hours), Volunteer in outpatient hospital clinic (80 hours)

LOR: 2 PTs (from PT aide experience) , 2 professors (LGBT studies + Microbio; the latter sent directly to 1 school), 1 employer (general manager of restaurant)

Applied: 9 Schools applied Aug-Sep. USC, UCSF/SFSU, Samuel Merritt, CSU Fresno, CSU Northridge, Northwestern, New York Medical College, Temple, Columbia

Acceptances: New York Medical College (Nov), Columbia (Nov), Temple (Dec), UCSF/SFSU (Feb), USC (Feb)

Waitlist: Samuel Merritt University (Jan), UCSF/SFSU (Jan)

Rejections: CSU Fresno (Dec), CSU Northridge (Jan), Northwestern (Dec)

Interviews: New York Medical College (Oct), Temple (Nov), Columbia (Nov), UCSF/SFSU (Jan)

Coming into this application process, I knew my main crux was going to be my "average" GPA. Wasn't low, wasn't high, and included multiple C's. And so I made sure to flesh out every other facet of my application (personal statement, additional essay responses, experiences, GRE, a diverse set of LORs), so that admissions committees could get a fuller picture of what I had to offer as a PT student. Fortunately, things worked out strongly in my favor and I could not feel more blessed. In just a few months I am going to start school at my dream PT program at UCSF/SFSU! I'm beyond stoked! If anyone wants feedback or general help on any part of your application, feel free to message me, I'll do what I can to help you. This forum helped me immensely, so I want to pay it forward =]

Reactions: 4 users
When were accepted off the waitlist from Methodist? That’s my top choice and I’m currently on the waitlist.

I’ve been watching this thread for years and I’m excited to finally post my stats!

University: UNC
Major: Exercise and sport science
Overall GPA: 3.08
Masters GPA: 3.82
Pre-Req GPA: varies but in the 3.5-3.6 range
GRE: 152 Verbal, 155 Math, 3.5 Writing

Extra-Curric: meals on wheels, work with special needs community

Honors: Dean’s list a few times

Obsevation: 265 hours (198 inpatient, 43 outpatient, 24 home health)

LOR: 2 PTs and 1 professor (Graduate program director)

Applied: Duke, ECU, GWU, Methodist, UNC, WCU, Wingate, WSSU, Campbell, High Point

Interviews: Campbell, Methodist, GWU(declined)

Waitlisted: Methodist

Rejections: Duke, ECU, UNC, WCU, High Point

Accepted: Campbell, Methodist, Wingate, WSSU