GPA's, GRE's, XTRA's, ACCEPTANCES

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I will be applying in next year's cycle (2018-19) and I was hoping for some opinions on my chances of acceptance or any advice anyone may have! Thank you!

University
: Dartmouth College (graduating this spring)
Major: Biology & Environmental Studies double major
Overall GPA: 3.27 (still have 1 term left plus some pre-reqs to finish--could go up to 3.33-3.35)
Pre-Req. GPA: Ranges from 3.33 to 3.5 (still have to take both Physics classes, Anatomy, and a psych class)
GRE: Taking in June, estimating scores around 155 for V&Q and 4.0-4.5W

Extra-Curric: Ecology research lab (on frogs) for 2 years; environmental science summer research internship; 4 summers work experience as a horseback riding trail guide; 4 years DI varsity cross-country/track; member of Fellowship of Christian Athletes (FCA); Athlete Bible Study; animal shelter volunteer (10+ years)

Observation: Outpatient: Orthopedics - 30 hours, Balance/Vestibular/Neuro - 25 hrs (expecting at least 15 hrs more), Women's Health - 10 hours (expecting 20 hrs more); Looking for an inpatient shadowing opportunity for the summer (expecting an additional 40-60 hrs by time of application in late July); Overall: 150-165 hrs at time of application

LOR: Planning on 2 PTs and 1 Bio professor

Planning to Apply to: UCSF, Sac State, Rocky Mountain University (in UT), Regis, George Fox, University of the Pacific, Touro (NV), Midwestern, Pacific University (OR), Montana

On a side note, I am planning on taking both Physics and Anatomy through UNE Online (with labs). Will this be an issue when it comes to applying or will most schools not look down on taking these courses online? Taking these courses in-person (at a community college or university) and being able to apply this cycle isn't really an option (I live in a relatively rural area).

Are there any other schools on the West Coast that anyone would recommend applying to with these stats where I would have a better chance of getting in? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I will be applying in next year's cycle (2018-19) and I was hoping for some opinions on my chances of acceptance or any advice anyone may have! Thank you!

University
Overall GPA: 3.27 (still have 1 term left plus some pre-reqs to finish--could go up to 3.3-3.5)
Pre-Req. GPA: Ranges from 3.33 to 3.5 (still have to take both Physics classes, Anatomy, and a psych class)

Extra-Curric: Ecology research lab (on frogs) for 2 years; environmental science summer research internship; 4 summers work experience as a horseback riding trail guide; 4 years DI varsity cross-country/track; member of Fellowship of Christian Athletes (FCA); Athlete Bible Study; animal shelter volunteer (10+ years)

Observation: Outpatient: Orthopedics - 30 hours, Balance/Vestibular/Neuro - 25 hrs (expecting at least 15 hrs more), Women's Health - 10 hours (expecting 20 hrs more); Looking for an inpatient shadowing opportunity for the summer (expecting an additional 40-60 hrs by time of application in late July); Overall: 150-165 hrs at time of application

Planning to Apply to: UCSF, Sac State, Rocky Mountain University (in UT), Regis, George Fox, University of the Pacific, Touro (NV), Midwestern, Pacific University (OR), Montana

On a side note, I am planning on taking both Physics and Anatomy through UNE Online (with labs). Will this be an issue when it comes to applying or will most schools not look down on taking these courses online? Taking these courses in-person (at a community college or university) and being able to apply this cycle isn't really an option (I live in a relatively rural area).

Are there any other schools on the West Coast that anyone would recommend applying to with these stats where I would have a better chance of getting in? Thanks!

You can apply to University of St. Augustine (San Marcos Campus), Azusa Pacific University they would definitely fit those stats. As far as taking your classes online, I haven't really had any issues with the programs I had researched except 2 programs (both in Florida) that don't accept online courses with labs. Keep up the great work, and you will get into a program. Your stats absolutely smoke mine, and I only applied to University of St. Augustine (Miami) and got accepted a week after my interview. Keep up your grind, gain as much experience as possible and make sure you can communicate your motivation for wanting to be a PT and you will be fine. Let me know if you have any questions at all!

University
Overall GPA: 3.27 (still have 1 term left plus some pre-reqs to finish--could go up to 3.3-3.5)

Just a heads up with Montana, unless you're a resident for 1 year before school starts (Aug 2019), it is almost impossible to obtain in-state residency during the program. Not sure what your budget for school is like, but OOS tuition is about 40K a year. It's a really great program though and an amazing place to be!

As far as Regis, their admissions counselor told me they place "considerable importance" on GRE scores and the prereq GPA. They also have 6 or so highly recommended courses they look at on your application. I think those stats are more important for getting offered an interview, but when interview time came they placed a large emphasis on looking for applicants who did a lot of community based service and being a leader in the community. Those are the only two I applied to on your list but if you have questions about either feel free to message me!

Members don't see this ad :)
You can apply to University of St. Augustine (San Marcos Campus), Azusa Pacific University they would definitely fit those stats. As far as taking your classes online, I haven't really had any issues with the programs I had researched except 2 programs (both in Florida) that don't accept online courses with labs. Keep up the great work, and you will get into a program. Your stats absolutely smoke mine, and I only applied to University of St. Augustine (Miami) and got accepted a week after my interview. Keep up your grind, gain as much experience as possible and make sure you can communicate your motivation for wanting to be a PT and you will be fine. Let me know if you have any questions at all!

Thank you for getting back to me! I'm very happy to hear that online classes with labs aren't difficult to apply with. I will definitely look into both other schools.

Just a heads up with Montana, unless you're a resident for 1 year before school starts (Aug 2019), it is almost impossible to obtain in-state residency during the program. Not sure what your budget for school is like, but OOS tuition is about 40K a year. It's a really great program though and an amazing place to be!

As far as Regis, their admissions counselor told me they place "considerable importance" on GRE scores and the prereq GPA. They also have 6 or so highly recommended courses they look at on your application. I think those stats are more important for getting offered an interview, but when interview time came they placed a large emphasis on looking for applicants who did a lot of community based service and being a leader in the community. Those are the only two I applied to on your list but if you have questions about either feel free to message me!

Yes, Montana is so expensive, I'm really not 100% sure I want to even try and apply there. Thank you for the advice on Regis, I am definitely trying to score as high as I possibly can on the GRE. By the time I take it I'll have studied for almost 3 months.

before retaking classes- look to see if schools actually take the average or your best grade. if majority of your schools you are applying to take the average really look to see if thats going to help you. for example, if you got a B and you retake the class and get an A.. and they average it.. you arnt really helping yourself as far as them calculating. However, if they take the best score then go for it. I just know financially, i had to really sit down and research whether or not retaking a class was going to be beneficial to me or would i rather spend that money applying to possibly a different school ect..

Re-taking a class is not a bad thing. If anyone asks why, be prepared with a simple, honest response. Such a response shows how you have matured.

Thank you for getting back to me! I'm very happy to hear that online classes with labs aren't difficult to apply with. I will definitely look into both other schools.

Yes, Montana is so expensive, I'm really not 100% sure I want to even try and apply there. Thank you for the advice on Regis, I am definitely trying to score as high as I possibly can on the GRE. By the time I take it I'll have studied for almost 3 months.

I am glad to hear that online classes are beneficial. If more students take online classes, it will help build up the reputation that online classes can be of high quality and rigor.

Updated on 2/11

University: College of Charleston
Major: Exercise Science
Overall GPA: 3.57
Pre-Req GPA: varies
Sciences GPA: 3.04
GRE: 161 V, 157 Q, 4.0 AW

Extra-Curric: Treasurer of PT/OT Club, employed all through college (including over 1.5 years at a local hospital)

Observation: 800+ outpatient ortho (paid)

Volunteer: Fitcatz Aquatic and Motor Therapy Program for children with special needs

Schools Applying: Duke, Emory, MUSC, USC, Armstrong State, High Point, Western Carolina, Elon

Acceptances: Armstrong State, MUSC

Rejections: USC

Waitlist: Duke, High Point (withdrew application)

ATTENDING: MUSC!

Interviews: High Point on 10/27, Armstrong State on 12/8, WCU on 12/15 (declined), Emory on 1/19, Elon on 3/2 (declined)
Hey! I was just wondering if you know why you got rejected by USC?
I hope you don't mind answering to that question.
Thanks!

University: California Polytechnic State University, San Luis Obispo
Major: Kinesiology (exercise science concentration)
Overall GPA: 3.53
Pre-Req GPA: 3.52
GRE: 1st attempt: 151 V, 156 Q, 4.5 AW
2nd attempt: 158 V, 161 Q, 4.0 AW

Extra-Curric: Poly Fit Club, Pre-Physical Therapy Club, intramural volleyball/basketball, dean's list

Volunteer: SLO Marathon, Eye Cycle, Cal Poly Corporation Wellness Program

Observation Hours: 50 hrs acute care inpatient @ hospital, 30 hrs pediatric outpatient setting, 6 hrs skilled nursing facility, inpatient, ~250 hrs outpatient orthopedic

LoR's: 1 PT director @ hospital, 1 PT @ outpatient clinic, 1 KINE professor (I had the option to choose a biomechanics teacher, but choose this professor b/c I felt she would write the best LoR, attesting to my character and ability to succeed in further education).

Applied: In State: Samuel Merritt, SFSU/UCSF, USC, Chapman, CSUN.
Out of State: University of Washington, University of Utah, University of Colorado (denver), Regis University, University of Illinois at Chicago, Rosalind Franklin University, Duke University

**Not too sure on exact dates of application/verification b/c I sent them in as I completed them (rolling 1st, then others). I sent in a few at the end of July, and the rest throughout August.**

Interviews: Rosalind Franklin University (9/15)

Acceptances: Rosalind Franklin University (9/21)

Rejections: N/A
Hey! I was wondering if you got called for an interview at any other schools?

School: University of Hawaii at Manoa
Major: Kinesiology and Rehabilitation Science
Cum GPA: 3.51
Pre-Req GPA: 3.21
Last 60 Credits: ~3.8
GRE: 148V 149Q 3AW
Hours: 5000+ hours in outpatient facilities (Work and Volunteer), 8 Hours Inpatient, 50 hours in school setting with disabled children, 45 Hours Workmans Comp., 500 Hours Redcord Therapy
LOR: 3 PTs, and one teacher
Extra Curricular: NASM CPT, Variety of Volunteering Settings, Psi Beta Honors Society for Psychology, Golden Key National Honors Society, Certified Kennedy Decompression Technician

Submitted: Late July

Applied: Duke, Arcadia, U Pitt, Chatham U, Lynchburg, Wingate, Elon, UDel, Pacific U, Thomas Jefferson U
Interviews: Chatham U
Waitlists: Chatham U, Lynchburg, Wingate, U Pitt
Rejections: Arcadia, Duke, Elon, UDel, Pacific, TJU
Acceptances: Chatham U

Attending: CHATHAM UNIVERSITY!!!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Hi there, hoping to get some feedback and/or advice about my chances of getting into the listed programs below considering my stats. I am going into my senior year of undergrad and I plan to apply to PT programs this July (2018-2019 round). Thank you in advance for any responses or suggestions!

Undergrad: Wake Forest University
Major: Health and Exercise Science (Counseling and Psychology minors)
Overall GPA: 3.6
Pre-req GPA: 3.5-3.7 depending on program
GRE Scores: 152V, 148Q; AW 4.0
Observation Hours: 300+ in a variety of settings (170 geriatrics, 30 sports, 45 pediatrics, 40 inpatient, 60 in orthopedics)
Extracurriculars: good deal of leadership positions and community service activities; ODK National Leadership Honor Society, Psi Chi International Honor Society in Psychology, and Dean's List (all 6 semesters)
LOR: 1 Physical Therapist, 1 Professor (major), 1 Professor (character LOR)

Planning to Apply to: Belmont, Bellarmine, Elon, MUSC, Samford, Augusta University, Western Kentucky, UK, Duke, and Emory

Hi there, hoping to get some feedback and/or advice about my chances of getting into the listed programs below considering my stats. I am going into my senior year of undergrad and I plan to apply to PT programs this July (2018-2019 round). Thank you in advance for any responses or suggestions!

Observation Hours: 300+ in a variety of settings (170 geriatrics, 30 sports, 45 pediatrics, 40 inpatient, 60 in orthopedics)
Extracurriculars: good deal of leadership positions and community service activities; ODK National Leadership Honor Society, Psi Chi International Honor Society in Psychology, and Dean's List (all 6 semesters)

Planning to Apply to: Belmont, Bellarmine, Elon, MUSC, Samford, Augusta University, Western Kentucky, UK, Duke, and Emory

My buddy graduated from WF and was accepted to Duke and UDelaware for this upcoming class (Chose UD). He did great on his GRE's with scores in the 160's and around a 3.8 GPA. I think if you can get your GRE scores up you should get several acceptances. Good luck!

Reactions: 1 user
Hello, I'm applying in this upcoming 2018-2019 cycle and I figured why not post.

University: University of Nebraska-Lincoln (Kansas Resident)
Major: Nutrition Sciences (Pre-PT); minor: Psychology
Overall GPA: 3.92 (at UNL, idk my PTCAS one yet)
Pre-Req GPA: ~3.9 (don't know PTCAS yet)
GRE: 160V, 160Q, will get writing soon hopefully

Extra-Curric: Volunteer Young Life leader (2 camp trips, 2 fall road trips, tons of stuff throughout the school year, 3.5 years total), Summer Staff at a YL camp, Dean's List, Work as a PT tech (~600 hours currently), shadowing (11 hours at pediatric out-patient clinic, 24 hours in hospital in-patient setting)

Applying: Wichita State University, Kansas University Medical Center, University of Wisconsin-Madison, Northern Arizona University, Mayo

Acceptances:

Rejections:

Interviews:

I know my grades, GRE, and PT experience are all good, I just hope my lack of variety in the EC doesn't hurt too much, but I don't think it should. Good luck to everyone applying this upcoming cycle!

Applying for the first time this upcoming cycle. Can anybody let me know how my application looks like? This cycle I do NOT have both Gen Biology I and II, so if you know any schools in the East coast that do not require the classes let me know so I can broaden my range. Thanks in advance.

University: Lehman College (NYC resident)
Major: Exercise Science Pre-PT (graduating this summer semester)
Overall GPA: 3.79 (3 non pre-req classes left in progress)
Pre-Req GPA: ~3.7 (only one lowest grade of B in physics II)
GRE: 1st attempt 297 combined (146, 151 4.0)

Extra-Curric: Personal training in weight loss program, Dean's List, Presidential Scholar, PT aide at outpatient setting <600 hours, volunteer at inpatient setting 300 hours

LOR: One from PT and one from chemistry professor

Applying: Hunter College, College of Staten Island, Downstate SUNY, Rochester, Rutgers North

Members don't see this ad :)
Any recommendations anyone has or any input would be great. Obviously I don't plan on getting into all of these great schools but let me know what you guys think!

Undergrad
: University of Florida
Major: Biology and Psychology
Overall GPA: 3.69
GRE Scores: 158V, 156Q; AW 5.0
Observation Hours: 150 in 3 settings
Extracurriculars: worked 2 jobs through all 4 years of college, taught english classes to foreign students coming to study in US, did research in a brain institute, volunteered in the ER and NICU 100+ hours, played intramural soccer and other sports
LOR: 1 Physical Therapist, 1 Professor APK, 1 Director of Honors Program/boss

Planning to Apply to: Duke, Emory, Wash U, Northwestern, Colombia, U.Pitt, NYU

Last edited:

I'd leave out UK unless you're a Kentucky resident.

Hello Everybody! I'm getting ready to apply for the third time. I applied first in the 2014-2015 cycle and then again this cycle, the 2017-2018 cycle. The reason for the gap is I struggled to find a job after moving home following graduation and then had to have ACL/Meniscus surgery that all set me back financially. I obviously haven't gotten in either of the first two times I applied, but am still on the waitlst for the 2017-2018 cycle at Methodist University in Fayetteville, NC. I am working on several different things to improve my application this time. Here are my stats:
Undergrad: Appalachian State University (GO APPS)
Overall GPA: 3.44
Prereq GPA: 3.5-3.7 (currently depending on the program) I am currently retaking Anatomy & Physiology I and plan to retake II and Physics I this fall.
GRE Scores: V162, Q152, AW 4.5
Observation Hours: 1200 hours (1140 in out patient clinic that see ortho, neuro, wound care, and geriatric, 30 in in-patient, 30 in aquatics) Planned 384 more hours in rehabiliation hospital.
Extracurriculars: 2 different jobs, Health Professions Club (several leadership roles), Exercise Science Club, Governing Board for Residence Hall first two years, SEP at UNC-Chapel Hill Participate, Research in Exercise Science Lab for 3 years, Journal Club, 60 hours at on-campus therapy clinic (not counted above because it was overseen by Athletic Trainers), and volunteering during the summer in PT clinic. Currently working full-time, retaking classes, and volunteering at a rehabilitation hospital.
LOR: 3 PTs, 1 Professor
Planning to Apply: Duke, George Washington University, UNC-Chapel Hil, University of Maryland-Baltimore, Methodist University, Eastern Tennessee State University, Elon University, and Winston-Salem State University.

Last edited:
Hi everybody, I will be applying for the 2018-19 cycle, for the first time, as an international student. Hoping to get some suggestions and/or recommendations from you guys about the prospects or likeliness of getting into the universities I have thought about applying to, based on my stats. Thank you!
Undergrad: Bachelor of Physical Therapy, International graduate.
Overall GPA: Don't know the US equivalent yet. Applied for WES evaluation for US equivalency. But had a distinction in terms of Indian Grading system
GRE Scores: V148, Q157 AW 4
TOEFL: Test Date-July 21
Observation Hours: 3500+, (in a variety of clinical settings; both in-patient as well as outpatient, Orthopaedics, Neurology, Neurosurgery, Paediatrics and Gynaecology, NICU, PICU, Cardiothoracic, Geriatrics at a multispeciality government hospital)
Extras: Did a Post-Grad Diploma in Health Care Administration in Canada (CGPA-3.6), Awarded with Merit certificates for academic excellence in all four years of bachelors, Gold Medal by Indian Association of Physiotherapists for highest cumulative merit, Graduate with Distinction for HCA(Canada), volunteered at a LTC home in Toronto for 2 months(100+ hours), employed as physical therapy aide in Brampton for a month(100+ hours).
LOR: 2 PTs, 2 Professors
Certifications: First and CPR-C (Canadian Redcross), Member of Indian Association of Physiotherapists, Certified Yoga Trainer
Planning to apply: Duke, UNC Chapel Hill, Emory, Boston, M.G.H Institute, Georgia State University, Rutgers(both), George Washington, UW-Madison

What were the programs in Florida that had issues with online courses and their labs?

I haven't posted in this thread yet because there's so many posts all the time, but I finally got an acceptance!!

Undergrad: Eastern Michigan University
cGPA: 3.49 (3.5 with EMU lol)
pGPA: 3.1-3.2 depending on the school and how they calculated this
GRE: 153 verb, 147 quant, 4.0 writing
Clinical observation hours: 20 outpatient pediatric, 20 spine clinic, 20 outpatient neuro.
I work as an aide at an outpatient clinic and at a hospital, so I have a ton of inpatient acute care hours and other stuff too.

As for extra curriculars, I don't have a ton of stuff that's more recent. But I have volunteer hours for health fairs that I've helped out at for my job, and I volunteered at a ventilator dependent camp for kids one year. I also did research during my undergrad, and had some poster presentations.

Applied: Wayne State University, University of Michigan-Flint, Oakland University, Grand Valley State, Dayton University, University of Toledo, Indiana State University, Indiana University, Baylor University, Brenau University, Howard University

Interviews: Dayton, Toledo, Indiana State, Baylor, Brenau (declined)

Waitlist: UM-flint, OU, Dayton, Toledo, ISU (Toledo and ISU have already started, so I still have a chance of hearing from Michigan and Oakland)

Acceptances: BAYLOR!!!

Reactions: 3 users
Hey dont mean to steal your thread but St. Augustine is my dream school for PT (I LOVE saint augustine, favorite city)

Anyways, I'm a Biology Major and will graduate with a BS in Bio and a minor in BioMedical Physics.

Classes are hard, (organic chem, genetics, micro, biomedical physics)
Overall GPA: 2.98 (****)
Upper level GPA: 3.14
Prerequisite GPA: USA website: 3.35? (I'm confused, it says labs dont count, and the letter grade includes +/-?
Hours in field as Rehab tech: 680 and counting
Last 60: 2.94 (Failed Calculus, C's in organic chem)
GRE: 308 total, 156 Verbal, 152 Quant, 3.5 writing (Saving grace)

I'm retaking the GRE to boost it, I didnt study the first time.

Is my GPA too low? I'd be pretty bummed if I had to take more courses, but I'm willing to. I already have 160+ credits (bad advising at community college).

I'm applying to anywhere that will take me. But St. Augustine's residential program is my first choice.

Thank you! Let me know if you have any questions. I applied for St. Augustine's residency program before. Kinda thankful I didn't get in that program because it's sooo expensive compared to others. Make sure you look into that before applying!
Application is free at least :p

Major: Psychology/Business
Overall GPA: 3.30
Pre-Req GPA: 3.4 - 3.6ish
GRE: 152 V 151 Q (still waiting on my official scores)

Extra-Curric: personal trainer, home health aide, physical therapy aide, fundraisers, played rugby, president of powerlifting club, etc etc

1500 hours of paid outpatient, 25 hours of pediatric school setting, and 75 inpatient hospital

Applying to: NYU, LIU, CSI, Hunter, Downstate, Temple, Thomas Jefferson, Duke, Rutgers N, Rutgers S, NYIT, New York Medical College, Touro and Marist!

Acceptances:

Rejections:

Interviews:

I'm so nervous that I won't get in anywhere! ahhhhhhh

Hey, everyone! I plan on applying to several PT schools within the month, and I was wondering how my stats were looking. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!

University: Tennessee Tech
Overall GPA: 4.0
Pre-Req GPA: 4.0
GRE: 154Q 148V 4.0AW

Extra-Curric:
Chem-Med Club member, EXPW Major's Club member, TTU intramurals

Volunteer:
Elementary school festival/field day volunteer: 20 hours
One Day of Hope volunteer: 5 hours

Observation:
120 hours-Inpatient (nursing home)
56 hours-Home Health
12 hours-Outpatient

H
Hey, everyone! I plan on applying to several PT schools within the month, and I was wondering how my stats were looking. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!

University: Tennessee Tech
GRE: 154Q 148V 4.0AW

Extra-Curric:
Chem-Med Club member, EXPW Major's Club member, TTU intramurals

Volunteer:
Elementary school festival/field day volunteer: 20 hours
One Day of Hope volunteer: 5 hours

Observation:
120 hours-Inpatient (nursing home)
56 hours-Home Health
12 hours-Outpatient
Hard to argue with a 4.0. Some programs want at least 150 on both GRE scores so that might be the only thing.

I have lurked this forum for too long and now I can finally post and will hopefully be able to post some acceptance stuff by next year!! Any feedback for this would be great and encouraging because I have a weird cry-sesh every other day thinking that I won't get in anywhere.

Undergrad: Health Sciences
Overall GPA: 3.58 (at least from my university, I retook a couple classes!)
GRE Scores: V156 Q155 AW5
Observation Hours: ~500 outpatient ortho, ~500 outpatient neuro, 80 inpatient, 50+ outpatient pediatrics
Extras: Worked through college? Not sure if that special but I guess it helps with work ethic etc? Worked in an outpatient ortho clinic as well as currently in a spinal cord rehab center, Dean's List, Honors College, Future Physical Therapist Org (a pre-PT club), Operation Smile
LOR: 1 PT (so far, I have to ask another PT soon), 1 professor (from A&P classes)
Planning to apply: UF, UNF, USF, FIU, U of St. Augustine, Nova Ft. Lauderdale, FGCU, Adventist (maybe?), UCF, Gannon, and possibly Temple and one or two other out of Florida schools...so if you guys have any recommendations for where else to apply then I'm open to ideas!

Undergrad: Augsburg University
Degree: B.S. Biology
Cumulative GPA: 3.3
Pre-req GPA: ~3.3
GRE: 157 V, 153 Q, 3.5 AW (retaking in August)

Extra-Curriculars: 4 year member of the Augsburg softball team (captain senior year), 3 year member of tri-beta (Biology honor society), volunteer softball coach for 14U and 16U teams (three years), service manager at a restaurant for two years, currently working as a Patient Care Coordinator for a spine surgeon at an Ortho Clinic (2 years), dean’s list

Volunteer/Observation: 50 hours OP clinic, 50 hours IP acute care, 34 hours wellness/fitness center for spinal cord injury clients, 30 hours skilled nursing facility (current volunteer)

LORs: PT from facility I’m currently a volunteer at, A&P professor, surgeon I work for, possibly also from a rep that we work with

Planning to apply: Northwestern, UIC, Duke, University of MN, Bellarmine, NYMC, Mount Saint Mary’s, Governors State, NYU, and possibly a couple more due to my low GPA

Good luck to everyone this cycle!! So nervous but so excited! :)

UnderGrad: University of Illinois - Urbana/Champaign
Degree: Interdisciplinary Health Sciences
Cumulative GPA: 3.59 (retook a few courses)
Prereq GPA: ~3.2 (retook a few courses)
GRE: 153Q, 148V, 3.5 AW

Extra-Curriculars: Senior Certified Pharmacy technician for four years, an internship at UIUC's Child Development Laboratory (research based preschool), captain of Men's soccer team at my community college ( I did my first two years of college at a CC), volunteered as a coach for children's soccer camps through my CC, volunteered as a goalkeeping coach for my high school's soccer team, ~40 hours of volunteering in a hospital emergency room, I dont know if I should even include this because I do not know if it will make a difference or not but I worked two summers in college in landscaping ( I would really like opinions on whether I should include on my applications or not)

Observation/Volunteering: ~100 hours total spread across pediatric, general orthopedic, geriatric, neuro, cardiopulmonary, and aquatic.

LoR's: Two from PT directors (different practices), one from my pharmacy manager, and one from my Gen Chem 2 teacher from my CC.

Plan on applying to: George Fox University, Concordia University - St. Paul, Midwestern (Downers Grove), Midwestern (Glendale), Bradley University, Des Moines University, Rosalind Franklin, Stockton University, Angelo State University, and a few others.

I am super nervous that having retaken some courses (some were prereqs) is really gonna kill me in my applications. Also I do not have a ton of observation hours, but I am hoping for the best! Best of luck to everyone this application cycle!

Because I used this forum when I was applying and can finally post now that I have been accepted.. so here it goes:

University: University of Oregon
Major: Human Physiology w/ minor in Business Administration
Overall GPA: 3.25
Pre-Req GPA: 3.40
GRE: 155Q/151V/4.0 Writing

Extra-Curric: Intramural Sports/Online Crisis Counselor/OC Marathon

Volunteer:
1. 150 hours shadowing outpatient ortho
2. Spent two weeks volunteering in Vietnam at a Rehabilitation Center
3. 50 hours neuro - TBI home
4. 1800+ as the Lead Aide in my PT clinic

Acceptances: University of St. Augustine (Austin, TX campus), Western University for Health Sciences (7/9)

Rejections: Chapman, West Coast, Tuoro Nevada, Pacific University, George Fox University

Interviews: University of St. Augustine, Western U, West Coast, Emory & Henry (declined)

As you can see, my test scores and GPA are nothing special but what I believe helped me were my volunteer settings/hours. My interviews had nothing to do with grades or test scores - they were about experiences and my journey of how I became the person I am today. Ultimately gave me a lot to talk about during my interviews. Keep your head up if your grades and test scores aren't as good as you would like them to be!

*Edited 10/18*
Ahh so nervous! If anyone can let me know what my chances are for these schools I would appreciate it!

University: UCLA
Major: Psychobiology
Overall GPA: 3.63
Pre-Req GPA: ~3.3-3.5
GRE: 155V 158Q 5.0AW

Extra-Curric: Lead student at parking enforcement job (~15-20 hrs/week for 3 years), UCLA marching band (1 year)

Volunteer: 115 hours Pediatric outpatient (unpaid), 650+ hours Sports/Ortho outpatient (paid/Head aide), 20 Hours SNF 250 as a hospital intern (non PT related).

LOR: 1 PT (head clinical PT at the clinic I am work for), 1 professor (foreign language prof who I had 1 year of class with), 1 supervisor (from parking job)

Applied: Cal State Northridge, UCSF/SFSU, Samuel Merritt, USC, NYMC, Rosalind Franklin, Stony brook, LIU Brooklynn.

Acceptances: NYMC 10/18!

Interviews: Rosalind Franklin (9/21)-Waitlisted, NYMC (10/12), Stonybrook (declined)

Last edited:
Hi all! I started my application for the 2018-2019 cycle last week, and I'd appreciate any input about my chances of getting in to any of these schools.

University: University of Pittsburgh
Major: Athletic Training
Overall GPA: 3.75
Pre-requisite GPA: ~3.6-3.7
GRE: 155V, 157Q, 4.0W

Extra-curriculars/Experiences: Pitt Dance Ensemble choreographer for two years, Panther Swim Club member for four years, Lambda Sigma Honors Society Selections Committee Member, Pitt Make a Difference Day, CMU Special Olympics, Pitt Summer Health Careers Guest Lecturer, ALS Walk Volunteer, SHRS (Pitt's Health School) Open House Presenter, Pittsburgh Ballet Theater Student Athletic Training Volunteer, clinical experience with Pitt's women's basketball; baseball; and football teams (high school sports clinical experience as well)

Volunteer/Observation Hours:

-500+ outpatient ortho clinic (rehab aide job)
-40 inpatient rehab

LORs:
-1 upper level professor/academic advisor
-1 PT
-1 athletic training preceptor

Planning to apply: Pitt, Ohio State, University of Miami, Temple, Gannon-Erie

Thanks for any advice you can give, and good luck to everyone applying. This is a stressful process, but it will be rewarding in the end.

What's up everyone, Hope the application process is going well, I would just like some input on what schools you would think I could get into in case I am not early accepted?!

University: Washington State Unviersity
Major: Kinesiology Minor: Spanish
Overall GPA: 3.81
Pre-requisite GPA: 3.94
GRE: 151V, 154Q, 4.0W

Extra-curriculars/Experiences/Certifications: Pt club president and officer/member for 3 years, Personal trainer/Crossfit Coach for over a year, Biomechnaics lab intern, WSU girls club soccer coach, youth coach/referee, Plant lab tech at a bio company, anatomy TA, Volunteer a bunch of places (Free clinics, Hospitals, red cross, ACA, etc.) ACE, CSCS, M|WodS, CF L-1 certs with a couple coaching related ones

100 outpatient
64 inpatient rehab

LORs:
-2 Professors
-1 PT
-1 supervisor

Planning to apply: Early decision Duke

Thanks for any advice you can give, best of luck to all of you and remember we each bring a different perspective that can enhance this profession.

To anyone who has questions about being a physical therapist or getting into PT school. Send me a personal message and I will do my best to answer you. I am a practicing ortho therapist and own a clinic. I also work in the rehab setting and acute care setting on the weekends.

Because I used this forum when I was applying and can finally post now that I have been accepted.. so here it goes:

University: University of Oregon
Major: Human Physiology w/ minor in Business Administration
Overall GPA: 3.25
GRE: 155Q/151V/4.0 Writing

Extra-Curric: Intramural Sports/Online Crisis Counselor/OC Marathon

Volunteer:
1. 150 hours shadowing outpatient ortho
2. Spent two weeks volunteering in Vietnam at a Rehabilitation Center
3. 50 hours neuro - TBI home
4. 1800+ as the Lead Aide in my PT clinic

Acceptances: University of St. Augustine (Austin, TX campus), Western University for Health Sciences (7/9)

Rejections: Chapman, West Coast, Tuoro Nevada, Pacific University, George Fox University

Interviews: University of St. Augustine, Western U, West Coast, Emory & Henry (declined)

As you can see, my test scores and GPA are nothing special but what I believe helped me were my volunteer settings/hours. My interviews had nothing to do with grades or test scores - they were about experiences and my journey of how I became the person I am today. Ultimately gave me a lot to talk about during my interviews. Keep your head up if your grades and test scores aren't as good as you would like them to be!

Hey do you mind sharing your interview experience at U.S.A in Austin, Tx. I'm applying this 18-19 cycle and this is my top school I am trying to attend as it pertains to my health and family proximity. Such as questions to expect, who interviewed the students, did they interview students individually or in groups, and things you would recommend to a prospective DPT students.

University:Saint Peters University
Major: Health and Physical Education
Overall GPA: 3.69
Pre-Req GPA: 3.7-3.85
GRE: 148V 147Quant (Planning on retaking)

Extra-Curric: Student mentor, Health and fitness club, African Student Association Club, Psychology club, Biology Club

Volunteer: 60 hrs. Inpatient hospital, 50 hrs Outpatient

Paid (PT tech) - over 600 hours

Most likely applying to: Kean, Seton Hall, Rutgers (South), Stockton, Boston U, NYIT, Drexel, American International College, Touro College, LIU, Thomas Jefferson, George Washington, University of Maryland (Baltimore)

Acceptances: NA

Rejections: NA

Interview Invite: NA

Ahh so nervous! If anyone can let me know what my chances are for these schools I would appreciate it!

Major: Psychobiology
Overall GPA: 3.63
Pre-Req GPA: ~3.3-3.5
GRE: 155V 158Q 5.0AW

Extra-Curric: Lead student at parking enforcement job (~15-20 hrs/week for 3 years), UCLA marching band (1 year)

Volunteer: 115 hours Pediatric outpatient (unpaid), 650+ hours Sports/Ortho outpatient (paid/Head aide), 250 as a hospital intern (non PT related). Also looking to get 30-50 hours at a SNF this summer

LOR: 1 PT (head clinical PT at the clinic I am work for), 1 professor (foreign language prof who I had 1 year of class with), 1 supervisor (from parking job)

Planning to apply: Cal State Northridge, UCSF/SFSU, Samuel Merritt, USC, NYMC, Rosalind Franklin, Stony brook, LIU Brooklynn, Touro Nevada.

Acceptances: N/A

Interviews: N/A

Hi there! I will also be applying to LIU Brooklynn. I am from the western US (Nevada) so it would be a huge change to go to a school in NY. I would love to talk to you more about your application process so far. Its always good to get some insight from others. Best of luck! :)

I have always wanted to post on here, but have been so nervous to do so. Today is the day!

University
: University of Nevada, Reno
Major: Community Health Science - Kinesiology Certificate: Gerontology
Overall GPA: 3.22
Pre-requisite GPA: ~3.0
GRE: 147V, 148Q, W not scored yet

Extra-curriculars/Experiences: Worked a city job for two years with children before and after school, have been working a job for the county for the last year and a half and will continue until I move, currently have ~60 hours at a skilled nursing facility (non-PT related/still volunteering), and Dean's List for the past two semesters.

1. 55 hours outpatient at a private practice clinic (done observing here, hours are signed off already)
2. ~35 hours outpatient at outpatient ortho clinic (still observing here)
2. ~40 hours inpatient at the main hospital working with the PTs/OTs walking patients (still volunteering here)

**I plan on accumulating more hours in the next two months to put me at about a comfortable 150. I am also going to be doing an internship with the second outpatient clinic where I currently observe, and this is a 100-hour internship over the upcoming fall semester.

LORs:
2 from PTs, 1 from professor in my gerontology certificate, and 1 from my volunteer coordinator at the main hospital

Planning to apply: NYU, LIU Brooklyn, Columbia, Touro (Manhattan), Rutgers (Newark), NYIT, Seton Hall, Mercy College, SUNY downstate, Hunter College

My GRE is not impressive and that is what worries me. If anyone has any advice about anything related to what I have posted please let me know. I am open to anything! Thank you guys, best of luck to everyone!

I have always wanted to post on here, but have been so nervous to do so. Today is the day!

University
: University of Nevada, Reno
Major: Community Health Science - Kinesiology Certificate: Gerontology
Overall GPA: 3.22
Pre-requisite GPA: ~3.0
GRE: 147V, 148Q, W not scored yet

Extra-curriculars/Experiences: Worked a city job for two years with children before and after school, have been working a job for the county for the last year and a half and will continue until I move, currently have ~60 hours at a skilled nursing facility (non-PT related/still volunteering), and Dean's List for the past two semesters.

1. 55 hours outpatient at a private practice clinic (done observing here, hours are signed off already)
2. ~35 hours outpatient at outpatient ortho clinic (still observing here)
2. ~40 hours inpatient at the main hospital working with the PTs/OTs walking patients (still volunteering here)

**I plan on accumulating more hours in the next two months to put me at about a comfortable 150. I am also going to be doing an internship with the second outpatient clinic where I currently observe, and this is a 100-hour internship over the upcoming fall semester.

LORs:
2 from PTs, 1 from professor in my gerontology certificate, and 1 from my volunteer coordinator at the main hospital

Planning to apply: NYU, LIU Brooklyn, Columbia, Touro (Manhattan), Rutgers (Newark), NYIT, Seton Hall, Mercy College, SUNY downstate, Hunter College

My GRE is not impressive and that is what worries me. If anyone has any advice about anything related to what I have posted please let me know. I am open to anything! Thank you guys, best of luck to everyone!

Summer mini-mester I and II would have been a good opportunity to have re-taken any pre-requisites you received C's or D's. I assume this is your pre-senior year summer, so you may have already been taking classes. You will also need to study harder and smarter for the GRE and up that to at least a 300 to make yourself more competitive.

University: University of Missouri- Saint Louis
Major: Political Science Minor: in German
Undergrad GPA: 3.54
Pre-requisite GPA: 3.98 (still finishing up a few prereqs)
GRE: 156V, 152Q, 4W

Extra-curriculars/Experiences: Graduated Summa Cum Laude, Honors College/ Honors Certification, Writing Certificate, worked as an Au Pair in Berlin for a year, Dean's list, US State Department Internship in Berlin, Germany, lots of volunteering with local charities, private pilots license, and I worked as a Project Manager before quitting to pursue PT

450 hours working as an aide at an outpatient clinic
30 hours acute inpatient at a military hospital
30 hours outpatient clinic for Army Special Forces
30 hours SNF

LORs:
1 from a PT, 1 from my physics professor, 1 from my direct manager from when I worked as a PM, and I'm hoping to get 1 more from another PT from my shadowing!

Planning to apply:
UPS, UW, GFU, U Montana, Des Moines U, Creighton

This is my first application cycle! I feel like my application is pretty strong, but I'm not sure if I should incorporate more "safety" schools? Any thoughts or advice for things I should strengthen?? Thanks everyone :)

Last edited:
University: University of Wisconsin - Oshkosh
Major: Kinesiology - Strength and Conditioning Emphasis
Undergrad GPA: 3.50 (started pretty rough in my early years and turned things around)
Pre-requisite GPA: 3.5-3.6
GRE: 150V, 153Q, 4.0W

Extra-curriculars/Experiences:
4.5 years NCAA football, National Championship appearance as a senior, Honor Roll, Dean's List, NSCA-CSCS, CrossFit Head Coach, Strength and Conditioning Intern/Coach at collegiate level, Personal Trainer and Wellness Coach at YMCA, Research experience in exercise, 40+ hours CNA in long-term care facility, Volunteer with Be The Match and Old Glory Honor Flight for veterans.

620 Outpatient (2 different clinics) as PT Tech
40 Inpatient rehab and acute care PT/OT (still observing)

LORs:
1 from a PT I worked for, 1 from professor (strength and conditioning program director), 1 from my current supervisor/gym owner, and 1 from my collegiate football coach.

Planning to apply:
Early Decision UW-Madison

This is my first application cycle. I'm feeling pretty confident about my chances of getting in. I will be meeting with the director of admissions in a couple weeks to tour the facilities and get some more information. Really hoping I can leave a lasting impression. Any suggestions on questions to ask or what I can do to improve my chances are greatly appreciated. Good luck to everybody!

University: Texas A&M University

Major: Kinesiology; Psychology Minor

Overall: 3.20
Pre-req: 3.25 - 3.4
GRE: 150Q 154V 4.0

Extracurricular: Undergrad PT club VP, Player/Coach Quidditch, Group Leader - The Big Event - Nations Largest Student-lead Community Improvement Event, Volunteer - Special Olympics

Volunteer Hours: Inpatient (28), Outpatient (84)

LOR's: (1) PT (2) Prof's

Employment: Student Library Assistant, Counselor - After School Program.

Applied: Angelo State University, University of St Augustine for Health Sciences - Texas, Baylor University, University of Texas at El Paso, Arkansas State University, Texas Technological University Health Sciences Center, Marshall University, Indiana State University, Husson University, Chatham University, Franklin Pierce University - NH, Franklin Pierce University - Arizona, Des Moines University - Osteopathic Medical Center, Southwest Baptist University, University of Mary

Note - 1st cycle - waitlisted Marshall, South, Baylor

2nd cycle (above stats):

Interview: St Augustine (9/21/18)
Waitlist:
Denied:
Accepted: St Augustine 10/1/18

Last edited:
University: University of Nebraska-Lincoln

Major: Nutrition Sciences; Psychology Minor

Overall: 3.92
Pre-req: 3.9
GRE: 160Q 160V 5.0

Extracurricular: Volunteer YL leader for 4 years, Summer Staff at a YL camp, Intramural basketball, College ministry group

Volunteer Hours: Outpatient peds (12) Inpatient (24) Outpatient tech hours (700+)

LOR's: (1) PT (1) Volunteering supervisor (1) Professor

Employment: PT Tech for over 2 years at the same clinic

Applied: Kansas University Medical Center, Wichita State University, Mayo Clinic, University of Wisconsin-Madison

Interview:
Waitlist:
Denied:
Accepted:

Okay, let's try this out:

University
: Arcadia University
Major: Psychology
GRE: 162V, 162Q, 6.0W

Extracurriculars/Experiences: Club Tennis, Literary Magazine, Summer Camp Counselor, tennis coach, undergraduate research with faculty, Phi Kappa Phi member, Dean's List every semester

Volunteer Hours: Outpatient (2 different clinics) -- approx. 200 hrs
Inpatient subacute -- 50 hours and counting

LORs: Two from physical therapists, one from professor in major

Applied/Planning to apply: Arcadia, UDel, Thomas Jefferson, Drexel, Pitt, SUNY Upstate, Sacred Heart, Northwestern, Duquense...

University: Olivet Nazarene University
Overall GPA: 3.76
Pre-Req GPA: 3.6
GRE: 150 V, 158 Q, 4.0 W

Extracurriculars/Experiences: 4 year varsity athlete, 2x Academic All-Conference, 2x Academic All-American, Dean's list every semester, Exercise Science Club, missions trip to Puerto Rico, research with physical therapist for school, current strength and conditioning coach for college baseball program

Volunteer Hours: Outpatient- 220
Inpatient- 25 hours

LORs: Two from professors, one from physical therapist

Applying: Duke Early Decision

University: University of Miami
Major: Exercise Physiology
Overall GPA: 3.65
GRE: 163Q/154V/4.0 Writing
LOR: 2 from PTs, 2 from Professors

Extra-Curric: Overnight Camp Counselor for 4 summers, referee of Intramurals at school for 3 years, Volunteer DJ for College Radio, Co-Founder of an Odd Jobs/Landscaping Company for 2 summers, volunteered at a South African afterschool program for a semester, play saxophone in jazz band for many years, Studied abroad in South Africa.

1. 250 hours shadowing outpatient ortho
2. 5 hours in In-patient Neuro
3. 5 hours in In-patient Cardiac

Applying to:

U of Delaware, U of Utah, U of Washington, U of Maryland-Baltimore, VCU, Emory, Regis, U of Colorado, Pacific University, Simmons College

I feel as if my GPA is average while my GRE, Extra Curriculars and Observation Hours are a bit above average. I’ve run into the problem that it is impossible to find out how many people apply specifically to each PT program, so there is no figure out there for acceptance rates! (Correct me if I am wrong. PTCAS only shows the % of In-state/out of state of ACCEPTED applicants, and the class size. Never says how many apply to the program from in-state/out of state). This makes it very hard to determine which programs are “safety” schools vs. “reach” schools for me. I want to know what my chances are to get into these listed schools with my pedigree. If anyone could suggest any schools I definitely would get into, I would appreciate it.

Last edited:
Major: Exercise Science, Biology Minor, Honors College
Overall GPA: 3.84
pGPA: 3.76
GRE: 156V, 158Q, 5.0 AW
LOR: 1 PT, 1 Honors College Director, 2 Prof

Extra-Curricular: Honors College Student Director, Pre-PT Club President, Pre-PT Club Secretary, Freshman Advisor, Camp Counselor, Honors Orientation Leader, Honors Recruitment Officer, Relay for Life Committee

1. 500 volunteer in outpatient ortho clinic
2. 25 in outpatient aquatic
3. 50 in acute care
4. 2500 in outpatient ortho (3 years as rehab aide)

Interview on 9/7 and got decision on 9/12.

Accepted to the University of Maryland - Eastern Shore!

Submitted my application on July 29th and my transcripts have all been verified as of August 1st.

Last edited:
Hello, is anybody here having issues with PTCAS status?? I am a re-applicant and did a re-applicant application. My observation hours from last cycle are shown in my new aplication but the status says not verified. I contacted PTCAS and they told me I need to resend the request to all therapist even though it is their problem. So I resend the request and now it shows my hours twice in the application and PTCAS says they cant delete the old ones. Is anybody having similar issues????

Hello, is anybody here having issues with PTCAS status?? I am a re-applicant and did a re-applicant application. My observation hours from last cycle are shown in my new aplication but the status says not verified. I contacted PTCAS and they told me I need to resend the request to all therapist even though it is their problem. So I resend the request and now it shows my hours twice in the application and PTCAS says they cant delete the old ones. Is anybody having similar issues????
Fortunately for me, even as screwed up PTCAS was for me on other issues, my observation hours all came over from last cycle, and showed as Verified on my new apps.

Major: Biology
Overall GPA: 3.77
Pre-Req GPA: Will update
Post-Bac GPA: 4.0
GRE: 164 V, 159 Q, 3.5 W

Extracurriculars/Experiences: Editor for undergraduate art journal for 2 and a half years, UCP Wheels for Humanity volunteer building and refurbishing wheelchairs, Rock N' Roll Marathon medical volunteer, 7 on 7 adult coed soccer league (Victorious Secret is our name ;)), Intern for nonprofit serving at-risk youth, Treasurer then Vice President of PT/OT Club, Hosted international students through Global Siblings program at UCLA, KEEN LA athletic sessions with special-needs youth, Life Rolls On, Anatomy Lab Leader, Research assistant for three studies working with obese, opioid-addicted, and HIV+ patients

Volunteer Hours: Outpatient Clinic- 150; Outpatient Pediatric - 34; Outpatient Hospital - 112; Inpatient SNF- 35 hours

LORs: One from physical therapist, one from English professor who I have a great mentoring relationship with, one from supervisor

Applying: UCSF/SFSU, Chapman University (Fall Cohort), USC, CSUN, CSULB, Duke, Boston U, UIC, Northwestern, Emory, NYU

My main concern is the analytical writing score, typing so slowly finally caught up to me. Debating whether or not if I should retake the GRE. Still a broke college grad lol :laugh:

Last edited:
Okay, let's try this out:

University
: Arcadia University
Major: Psychology
GRE: 162V, 162Q, 6.0W

Extracurriculars/Experiences: Club Tennis, Literary Magazine, Summer Camp Counselor, tennis coach, undergraduate research with faculty, Phi Kappa Phi member, Dean's List every semester

Volunteer Hours: Outpatient (2 different clinics) -- approx. 200 hrs
Inpatient subacute -- 50 hours and counting

LORs: Two from physical therapists, one from professor in major

Applied/Planning to apply: Arcadia, UDel, Thomas Jefferson, Drexel, Pitt, SUNY Upstate, Sacred Heart, Northwestern, Duquense...

Oh Wow!! these are amazing stats! What is your top choice?