GPA's, GRE's, XTRA's, ACCEPTANCES

Discussion in 'Pre-Physical Therapy' started by PREMEDWOAHS, Jul 22, 2007.

1. bzpt123

Hi everybody, I will be applying for the 2018-19 cycle, for the first time, as an international student. Hoping to get some suggestions and/or recommendations from you guys about the prospects or likeliness of getting into the universities I have thought about applying to, based on my stats. Thank you!
    Undergrad: Bachelor of Physical Therapy, International graduate.
    Overall GPA: Don't know the US equivalent yet. Applied for WES evaluation for US equivalency. But had a distinction in terms of Indian Grading system
    GRE Scores: V148, Q157 AW 4
    TOEFL: Test Date-July 21
    Observation Hours: 3500+, (in a variety of clinical settings; both in-patient as well as outpatient, Orthopaedics, Neurology, Neurosurgery, Paediatrics and Gynaecology, NICU, PICU, Cardiothoracic, Geriatrics at a multispeciality government hospital)
    Extras: Did a Post-Grad Diploma in Health Care Administration in Canada (CGPA-3.6), Awarded with Merit certificates for academic excellence in all four years of bachelors, Gold Medal by Indian Association of Physiotherapists for highest cumulative merit, Graduate with Distinction for HCA(Canada), volunteered at a LTC home in Toronto for 2 months(100+ hours), employed as physical therapy aide in Brampton for a month(100+ hours).
    LOR: 2 PTs, 2 Professors
    Certifications: First and CPR-C (Canadian Redcross), Member of Indian Association of Physiotherapists, Certified Yoga Trainer
    Planning to apply: Duke, UNC Chapel Hill, Emory, Boston, M.G.H Institute, Georgia State University, Rutgers(both), George Washington, UW-Madison

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. soapdpt

What were the programs in Florida that had issues with online courses and their labs?

4. jt128

Pre-Physical Therapy
    I haven't posted in this thread yet because there's so many posts all the time, but I finally got an acceptance!!

Undergrad: Eastern Michigan University
    cGPA: 3.49 (3.5 with EMU lol)
    pGPA: 3.1-3.2 depending on the school and how they calculated this
    GRE: 153 verb, 147 quant, 4.0 writing
    Clinical observation hours: 20 outpatient pediatric, 20 spine clinic, 20 outpatient neuro.
    I work as an aide at an outpatient clinic and at a hospital, so I have a ton of inpatient acute care hours and other stuff too.

As for extra curriculars, I don't have a ton of stuff that's more recent. But I have volunteer hours for health fairs that I've helped out at for my job, and I volunteered at a ventilator dependent camp for kids one year. I also did research during my undergrad, and had some poster presentations.

Applied: Wayne State University, University of Michigan-Flint, Oakland University, Grand Valley State, Dayton University, University of Toledo, Indiana State University, Indiana University, Baylor University, Brenau University, Howard University

Interviews: Dayton, Toledo, Indiana State, Baylor, Brenau (declined)

Waitlist: UM-flint, OU, Dayton, Toledo, ISU (Toledo and ISU have already started, so I still have a chance of hearing from Michigan and Oakland)

Acceptances: BAYLOR!!!

5. BioPhysMan

Hey dont mean to steal your thread but St. Augustine is my dream school for PT (I LOVE saint augustine, favorite city)

Anyways, I'm a Biology Major and will graduate with a BS in Bio and a minor in BioMedical Physics.

Classes are hard, (organic chem, genetics, micro, biomedical physics)
    Overall GPA: 2.98 (****)
    Upper level GPA: 3.14
    Prerequisite GPA: USA website: 3.35? (I'm confused, it says labs dont count, and the letter grade includes +/-?
    Hours in field as Rehab tech: 680 and counting
    Last 60: 2.94 (Failed Calculus, C's in organic chem)
    GRE: 308 total, 156 Verbal, 152 Quant, 3.5 writing (Saving grace)

I'm retaking the GRE to boost it, I didnt study the first time.

Is my GPA too low? I'd be pretty bummed if I had to take more courses, but I'm willing to. I already have 160+ credits (bad advising at community college).

I'm applying to anywhere that will take me. But St. Augustine's residential program is my first choice.

6. MBPB

Pre-Physical Therapy
    Application is free at least :p

7. mesptschool19

Major: Psychology/Business
    Overall GPA: 3.30
    Pre-Req GPA: 3.4 - 3.6ish
    GRE: 152 V 151 Q (still waiting on my official scores)

Extra-Curric: personal trainer, home health aide, physical therapy aide, fundraisers, played rugby, president of powerlifting club, etc etc

1500 hours of paid outpatient, 25 hours of pediatric school setting, and 75 inpatient hospital

Applying to: NYU, LIU, CSI, Hunter, Downstate, Temple, Thomas Jefferson, Duke, Rutgers N, Rutgers S, NYIT, New York Medical College, Touro and Marist!

Acceptances:

Rejections:

Interviews:

I'm so nervous that I won't get in anywhere! ahhhhhhh

8. sydlpear

Pre-Physical Therapy
    Hey, everyone! I plan on applying to several PT schools within the month, and I was wondering how my stats were looking. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!

University: Tennessee Tech
    Major: Exercise Science
    Overall GPA: 4.0
    Pre-Req GPA: 4.0
    GRE: 154Q 148V 4.0AW

Extra-Curric:
    Chem-Med Club member, EXPW Major's Club member, TTU intramurals

Volunteer:
    Elementary school festival/field day volunteer: 20 hours
    One Day of Hope volunteer: 5 hours

Observation:
    120 hours-Inpatient (nursing home)
    56 hours-Home Health
    12 hours-Outpatient

9. MBPB

Pre-Physical Therapy
    H
    Hard to argue with a 4.0. Some programs want at least 150 on both GRE scores so that might be the only thing.

sydlpear likes this.
  10. soapdpt

I have lurked this forum for too long and now I can finally post and will hopefully be able to post some acceptance stuff by next year!! Any feedback for this would be great and encouraging because I have a weird cry-sesh every other day thinking that I won't get in anywhere.

Undergrad: Health Sciences
    Overall GPA: 3.58 (at least from my university, I retook a couple classes!)
    GRE Scores: V156 Q155 AW5
    Observation Hours: ~500 outpatient ortho, ~500 outpatient neuro, 80 inpatient, 50+ outpatient pediatrics
    Extras: Worked through college? Not sure if that special but I guess it helps with work ethic etc? Worked in an outpatient ortho clinic as well as currently in a spinal cord rehab center, Dean's List, Honors College, Future Physical Therapist Org (a pre-PT club), Operation Smile
    LOR: 1 PT (so far, I have to ask another PT soon), 1 professor (from A&P classes)
    Planning to apply: UF, UNF, USF, FIU, U of St. Augustine, Nova Ft. Lauderdale, FGCU, Adventist (maybe?), UCF, Gannon, and possibly Temple and one or two other out of Florida schools...so if you guys have any recommendations for where else to apply then I'm open to ideas!

Smile72696 likes this.
  11. FutureDPT_MN2015

Undergrad: Augsburg University
    Degree: B.S. Biology
    Cumulative GPA: 3.3
    Pre-req GPA: ~3.3
    GRE: 157 V, 153 Q, 3.5 AW (retaking in August)

Extra-Curriculars: 4 year member of the Augsburg softball team (captain senior year), 3 year member of tri-beta (Biology honor society), volunteer softball coach for 14U and 16U teams (three years), service manager at a restaurant for two years, currently working as a Patient Care Coordinator for a spine surgeon at an Ortho Clinic (2 years), dean’s list

Volunteer/Observation: 50 hours OP clinic, 50 hours IP acute care, 34 hours wellness/fitness center for spinal cord injury clients, 30 hours skilled nursing facility (current volunteer)

LORs: PT from facility I’m currently a volunteer at, A&P professor, surgeon I work for, possibly also from a rep that we work with

Planning to apply: Northwestern, UIC, Duke, University of MN, Bellarmine, NYMC, Mount Saint Mary’s, Governors State, NYU, and possibly a couple more due to my low GPA

Good luck to everyone this cycle!! So nervous but so excited! :)

Smile72696 likes this.
  12. STILLmatic 9096

UnderGrad: University of Illinois - Urbana/Champaign
    Degree: Interdisciplinary Health Sciences
    Cumulative GPA: 3.59 (retook a few courses)
    Prereq GPA: ~3.2 (retook a few courses)
    GRE: 153Q, 148V, 3.5 AW

Extra-Curriculars: Senior Certified Pharmacy technician for four years, an internship at UIUC's Child Development Laboratory (research based preschool), captain of Men's soccer team at my community college ( I did my first two years of college at a CC), volunteered as a coach for children's soccer camps through my CC, volunteered as a goalkeeping coach for my high school's soccer team, ~40 hours of volunteering in a hospital emergency room, I dont know if I should even include this because I do not know if it will make a difference or not but I worked two summers in college in landscaping ( I would really like opinions on whether I should include on my applications or not)

Observation/Volunteering: ~100 hours total spread across pediatric, general orthopedic, geriatric, neuro, cardiopulmonary, and aquatic.

LoR's: Two from PT directors (different practices), one from my pharmacy manager, and one from my Gen Chem 2 teacher from my CC.

Plan on applying to: George Fox University, Concordia University - St. Paul, Midwestern (Downers Grove), Midwestern (Glendale), Bradley University, Des Moines University, Rosalind Franklin, Stockton University, Angelo State University, and a few others.

I am super nervous that having retaken some courses (some were prereqs) is really gonna kill me in my applications. Also I do not have a ton of observation hours, but I am hoping for the best! Best of luck to everyone this application cycle!

13. quackquack38

Because I used this forum when I was applying and can finally post now that I have been accepted.. so here it goes:

University: University of Oregon
    Major: Human Physiology w/ minor in Business Administration
    Overall GPA: 3.25
    Pre-Req GPA: 3.40
    GRE: 155Q/151V/4.0 Writing

Extra-Curric: Intramural Sports/Online Crisis Counselor/OC Marathon

Volunteer:
    1. 150 hours shadowing outpatient ortho
    2. Spent two weeks volunteering in Vietnam at a Rehabilitation Center
    3. 50 hours neuro - TBI home
    4. 1800+ as the Lead Aide in my PT clinic

Acceptances: University of St. Augustine (Austin, TX campus), Western University for Health Sciences (7/9)

Rejections: Chapman, West Coast, Tuoro Nevada, Pacific University, George Fox University

Interviews: University of St. Augustine, Western U, West Coast, Emory & Henry (declined)

As you can see, my test scores and GPA are nothing special but what I believe helped me were my volunteer settings/hours. My interviews had nothing to do with grades or test scores - they were about experiences and my journey of how I became the person I am today. Ultimately gave me a lot to talk about during my interviews. Keep your head up if your grades and test scores aren't as good as you would like them to be!

14. JustPeachyPT

Ahh so nervous! If anyone can let me know what my chances are for these schools I would appreciate it!

University: UCLA
    Major: Psychobiology
    Overall GPA: 3.63
    Pre-Req GPA: ~3.3-3.5
    GRE: 155V 158Q 5.0AW

Extra-Curric: Lead student at parking enforcement job (~15-20 hrs/week for 3 years), UCLA marching band (1 year)

Volunteer: 115 hours Pediatric outpatient (unpaid), 650+ hours Sports/Ortho outpatient (paid/Head aide), 250 as a hospital intern (non PT related). Also looking to get 30-50 hours at a SNF this summer

LOR: 1 PT (head clinical PT at the clinic I am work for), 1 professor (foreign language prof who I had 1 year of class with), 1 supervisor (from parking job)

Planning to apply: Cal State Northridge, UCSF/SFSU, Samuel Merritt, USC, NYMC, Rosalind Franklin, Stony brook, LIU Brooklynn, Touro Nevada.

Acceptances: N/A

Rejections: N/A

Interviews: N/A

15. hopefuldpt286

Hi all! I started my application for the 2018-2019 cycle last week, and I'd appreciate any input about my chances of getting in to any of these schools.

University: University of Pittsburgh
    Major: Athletic Training
    Overall GPA: 3.75
    Pre-requisite GPA: ~3.6-3.7
    GRE: 155V, 157Q, 4.0W

Extra-curriculars/Experiences: Pitt Dance Ensemble choreographer for two years, Panther Swim Club member for four years, Lambda Sigma Honors Society Selections Committee Member, Pitt Make a Difference Day, CMU Special Olympics, Pitt Summer Health Careers Guest Lecturer, ALS Walk Volunteer, SHRS (Pitt's Health School) Open House Presenter, Pittsburgh Ballet Theater Student Athletic Training Volunteer, clinical experience with Pitt's women's basketball; baseball; and football teams (high school sports clinical experience as well)

Volunteer/Observation Hours:

-500+ outpatient ortho clinic (rehab aide job)
    -40 inpatient rehab

LORs:
    -1 upper level professor/academic advisor
    -1 PT
    -1 athletic training preceptor

Planning to apply: Pitt, Ohio State, University of Miami, Temple, Gannon-Erie

Thanks for any advice you can give, and good luck to everyone applying. This is a stressful process, but it will be rewarding in the end.

16. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

17. Wazzudpt

What's up everyone, Hope the application process is going well, I would just like some input on what schools you would think I could get into in case I am not early accepted?!

University: Washington State Unviersity
    Major: Kinesiology Minor: Spanish
    Overall GPA: 3.81
    Pre-requisite GPA: 3.94
    GRE: 151V, 154Q, 4.0W

Extra-curriculars/Experiences/Certifications: Pt club president and officer/member for 3 years, Personal trainer/Crossfit Coach for over a year, Biomechnaics lab intern, WSU girls club soccer coach, youth coach/referee, Plant lab tech at a bio company, anatomy TA, Volunteer a bunch of places (Free clinics, Hospitals, red cross, ACA, etc.) ACE, CSCS, M|WodS, CF L-1 certs with a couple coaching related ones

Volunteer/Observation Hours:

100 outpatient
    64 inpatient rehab

LORs:
    -2 Professors
    -1 PT
    -1 supervisor

Planning to apply: Early decision Duke

Thanks for any advice you can give, best of luck to all of you and remember we each bring a different perspective that can enhance this profession.