GPA's, GRE's, XTRA's, ACCEPTANCES

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Update: First acceptance! Franklin Pierce NH!!! :soexcited:
Congratulations!! This is my top choice school as well! Did they say in the email when you had to give them an answer? (Like whether or not you’ll attend). also, do you remember when you submitted your app to them? I’m anxiously awaiting to hear from them.

Members don't see this ad.

Congratulations!! This is my top choice school as well! Did they say in the email when you had to give them an answer? (Like whether or not you’ll attend). also, do you remember when you submitted your app to them? I’m anxiously awaiting to hear from them.
We have til January 15th to submit everything

Reactions: 2 users

January 15!
I believe I submitted my app to both campuses on 10/31 (the day before the deadline), and I got confirmation that they were received on 11/1.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey! I was accepted to NYU in 12/5. Went to the 11/10 interview . I already paid my deposit
Congrats! I still have yet to hear anything from them. I interviewed 11/9 and it was a rare occasion for me in which I walked away from it feeling I actually nailed it so I am a little disappointed I havent heard anything at all. I've been keeping in frequent touch with them but they just keep saying until the end of February. On one hand I want to keep my hopes up, but realistically I also know my chances are dwindling with each day I dont hear back. I'd like to think I'm on some pseudo-waitlist at this point, but I'm also not trying to wait around up to another two and a half months just for a 'yes' or 'no'.

Congrats! I still have yet to hear anything from them. I interviewed 11/9 and it was a rare occasion for me in which I walked away from it feeling I actually nailed it so I am a little disappointed I havent heard anything at all. I've been keeping in frequent touch with them but they just keep saying until the end of February. On one hand I want to keep my hopes up, but realistically I also know my chances are dwindling with each day I dont hear back. I'd like to think I'm on some pseudo-waitlist at this point, but I'm also not trying to wait around up to another two and a half months just for a 'yes' or 'no'.

Definitely don't give up, people give up their spots. And unfortunately you kind of don't have a choice in terms or the waiting games. Kind of just have to wait it out. Im sure when others see the 151k price tag and decline, they'll be reaching out to people not accepted in the first wave. Keep ya head up!

University: College of William & Mary
Major: Kinesiology & Health Sciences
Overall GPA: 3.78
Pre-Req GPA: 3.6
GRE: 159V, 155Q, 4.5W

Extra-Curric:
Alpha Phi Omega Service Fraternity
Anatomy Cadaver Lab Teaching Assistant
Resident Assistant
Certified Yoga Instructor

Volunteer:
100 ortho clinic
140 inpatient

Applied: VCU, ODU, Shenandoah, Duke, Pitt, WashU

Acceptances: VCU, ODU

Rejections: N/A

Interviews: Shenandoah (12/18)

Last edited:
University: College of William & Mary
Major: Kinesiology & Health Sciences
Overall GPA: 3.78
Pre-Req GPA: 3.6
GRE: 159V, 155Q, 4.5W

Extra-Curric:
Alpha Phi Omega Service Fraternity
Anatomy Cadaver Lab Teaching Assistant
Resident Assistant

Volunteer:
100 ortho clinic
140 inpatient

Applied: VCU, ODU, Shenandoah, Duke, Pitt, WashU

Acceptances: VCU

Interviews: Shenandoah

Congrats on getting into VCU! When did you submit and when did you hear back? Is VCU your top choice? I was accepted into WashU in November! Do you have a review date?

Congrats on getting into VCU! When did you submit and when did you hear back? Is VCU your top choice? I was accepted into WashU in November! Do you have a review date?
Thanks! I submitted VCU on October 1 and heard back on December 14. It's probably my top choice so I am very excited.
I don't have a review date with WashU, how long did they take to respond to your application?

Thanks! I submitted VCU on October 1 and heard back on December 14. It's probably my top choice so I am very excited.
I don't have a review date with WashU, how long did they take to respond to your application?

That's amazing good for you! I submitted to WashU at the beginning of August and was notified in October that my review date would be November 12th. I got a call about 2 weeks after my review date with an offer. Good luck with the rest of your schools!

UPDATES :)

University
: UCLA
Major: Biology
Overall GPA: 3.77
Pre-Req GPA: 3.7-3.81 depending on program
Post-Bac GPA: 4.0
GRE: 164 V, 159 Q, 3.5 W

Extracurriculars/Experiences: Editor for undergraduate art journal for 2 and a half years, UCP Wheels for Humanity volunteer building and refurbishing wheelchairs, Rock N' Roll Marathon medical volunteer, 7 on 7 adult coed soccer league (Victorious Secret is our name ;)), Intern for nonprofit serving at-risk youth, Treasurer then Vice President of PT/OT Club, Hosted international students through Global Siblings program at UCLA, KEEN LA athletic sessions with special-needs youth, Life Rolls On, Study abroad, Anatomy Lab Leader, Research assistant for three studies working with obese, opioid-addicted, and HIV+ patients

Volunteer Hours: Outpatient Clinic- 150; Outpatient Pediatric - 34; Outpatient Hospital - 112; Inpatient SNF- 35 hours

LORs: One from physical therapist, one from English professor who I have a great mentoring relationship with, one from supervisor, one from PI

Applied: UCSF/SFSU, Chapman University (Fall Cohort), USC, CSUN, CSULB, Duke, Boston U, UIC, Northwestern, Emory, NYU, UNTHSC
Interviews: Duke (11/30), NYU (12/7), Emory (1/11), UCSF/SFSU (2/1-2/2)
Waitlisted: N/A
Rejected: Duke (12/14)
Accepted: Northwestern University (10/1), USC (12/11), UIC (12/13)

Expected a rejection from Duke. First interview went really well (she was awesome!), though the second faculty member just made me feel uncomfortable and unheard. Strange day there. Anyone have a similar experience?
Hello! Just curious, when did you submit your Duke application? I'm trying to gauge when I'll hear back.

University: Louisiana State University
Major: Kinesiology
Overall GPA: 3.57
Pre-Req GPA: 3.7
GRE: 158 Q 143 V, 4.0 AW

Extra-Curric: Student Governemnt, Kinesiology club, homecoming marketing committee, High school tutor, worked with a high school football and basketball team, PT tech for 2 years.

Volunteer: 2000 hours Outpatient ortho, 100 inpatient

Applied: LSU Shreveport, LSU New Orleans, TWU, University Of Arkansas (UAMS), and MUSC

Acceptances: none yet

Rejections: none yet

Interviews: UAMS, LSU Shreveport, LSU New Orleans

Waitlisted: UAMS, MUSC

Somebody please have some faith in me and accept me!!

University: Marshall University
Overall GPA: 3.46 (UG) 3.63 (Grad)
Pre-Req GPA: 3.8
GRE: 146 Q 160 V, 4.5 AW

Extra-Curric: Graduate Teaching Assistant

Volunteer: 88 outpatient

Applied: Marshall University, Wheeling Jesuit, Marymount, Shenandoah, Lynchburg, Vermont, South College, Emory and Henry

Acceptances: None Yet

Rejections: Shenandoah

Interviews: Marymount (12/1), Wheeling Jesuit (11/16), South College (Declined), Emory and Henry (Declined), Marshall (1/4)

Waitlisted: Wheeling Jesuit, Marymount (Top Tier waiting)

Update
Major: Psychology
Overall GPA: 3.29
Pre-Req GPA: 3.4 - 3.6ish
GRE: 152 V 151 Q 4.0 W

Extra-Curric: personal trainer, home health aide, physical therapy aide, fundraisers, played rugby, president of powerlifting club, etc etc

1500 hours of paid outpatient, 25 hours of pediatric school setting, and 50 inpatient hospital

Applied to: NYU, LIU, CSI, Drexel, Thomas Jefferson, Stony Brook, NYIT, Seton Hall, Touro and Marist

Acceptances: Drexel (11/21)

Rejections: Thomas Jefferson

Waitlisted: NYIT, CSI, LIU

Interviews: NYIT (10/26), Stony Brook (11/30), Drexel (11/9), CSI (12/3), LIU (12/4), Marist (I declined)

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello! Just curious, when did you submit your Duke application? I'm trying to gauge when I'll hear back.

Hey there! I submitted my app back in August and interviewed in November. They emailed their decision two weeks after the interview. I will warn you that I did not find the faculty to be warm and welcoming, though.

Anybody from the 12/14 Columbia interview section get a decision yet?

Long time lurker here, thought it was time to share the good news!

University:
University of Arizona
Major: Physiology
Overall GPA: 3.62
Pre-Req GPA: ~3.69
GRE: Q157 V158 AW4.0

Observation Hours: ~250 hours at the time of submitting applications at 2 outpatient clinics

Applied to: Northern Arizona University, A.T. Still, Texas Tech, UT Southwestern, Regis University

Interviews: Northern Arizona University (12/1), Texas Tech (12/7), UT Southwestern (1/7, declined), Regis (2/4, declined)

Acceptances: Texas Tech (12/17) :clap:

Waitlist:
Northern Arizona University (12/13)

Rejections: None

Reactions: 1 users
First acceptance!!!

Undergraduate: University of Alabama
Minor: Art
Overall GPA: 3.52
GRE Scores: Q158, V162, AW4.0

Volunteer Hours: 185; mix of inpatient, outpatient (mix of neuro, ortho, peds)
LOR: 2 PT and 1 professor
Extra-Curricular: Tri-beta social media coordinator, AED, Pre PT society, ER volunteer, Dean's list (3 semesters)

Applied: FGCU, FIU, UCF, UF, UNF, Army Baylor
Acceptances: UCF
Interviews: UCF, UNF, FGCU
Rejections: Army Baylor

Acceptance update!

Reactions: 1 users
Acceptance update!

Congrats on UCF! I interviewed with them last week and fell in love with the program, so if you do end up there then you’re definitely in good hands! When did you hear back from them?

Congrats on UCF! I interviewed with them last week and fell in love with the program, so if you do end up there then you’re definitely in good hands! When did you hear back from them?
I heard back from them this morning! After my interview there, it became my top choice of programs.

UPDATE!!

University
: University of Louisiana at Lafayette
Major: Exercise Science
Undergrad GPA: 3.43
Pre-requisite GPA: 3.1-3.4 depending on school
GRE: 1st test: 149V, 150Q, 3.5W, 2nd test: 150V, 148 Q (A few schools I applied to super-score the GRE if you took it more than once so that’s why I included both.)

Extracurriculars/Experiences: Office Of Orientation camp mentor, Personal Trainer through my University, Activity Coordinator for Recreational sports division, Exercise Physiology Subject x2 in published research study (Blood/glucose level & Bod Pod as well as VO2 Max Test), D.R.E.A.M.S Foundation Volunteer, Officer in Sigma Chi Fraternity, The Big Event school-wide day of service volunteer, Habitat for Humanity Volunteer

Awards/Achievements: Dean’s List x4, President’s List x1

Volunteer/Observation Hours: ~1200 Hours outpatient Orthopedic Clinic

Certification: Adult and pediatric CPR, AED, and first aid

LORs: 2 PT ‘s, 1 Mentor

Applying: FranU, LSUHSC Shreveport, St. Augustine (Austin, TX), Texas Tech, USC, Nova Ft. Lauderdale, William Carey, Alabama State University, University of South Alabama

Interviews: St. Augustine (Austin,TX) 11/16

Acceptances: St. Augustine (Austin,TX) 05/13 !!!!!

Rejections:
LSUHSC Shreveport, Alabama State University (on a technicality of observation hours.) Texas Tech, Nova Ft. Lauderdale

WILL BE ATTENDING ST. AUGUSTINE (AUSTIN,TX) THIS UPCOMING MAY!!! :soexcited:

Hey everyone! I was wondering if anyone has heard anything from the George Washington 11/16 interview? I have a deposit for another school coming up and would really like to know if I got in to GWU before I deposit somewhere else!

Hello Everybody! I'm getting ready to apply for the third time. I applied first in the 2014-2015 cycle and then again this cycle, the 2017-2018 cycle. The reason for the gap is I struggled to find a job after moving home following graduation and then had to have ACL/Meniscus surgery that all set me back financially. I obviously haven't gotten in either of the first two times I applied, but am still on the waitlst for the 2017-2018 cycle at Methodist University in Fayetteville, NC. I am working on several different things to improve my application this time. Here are my stats:
Undergrad: Appalachian State University (GO APPS)
Major: Exercise Science
Overall GPA: 3.44
Prereq GPA: 3.5-3.7 (currently depending on the program) I am currently retaking Anatomy & Physiology I and plan to retake II and Physics I this fall.
GRE Scores: V162, Q152, AW 4.5
Observation Hours: 1200 hours (1140 in out patient clinic that see ortho, neuro, wound care, and geriatric, 30 in in-patient, 30 in aquatics) Planned 384 more hours in rehabiliation hospital.
Extracurriculars: 2 different jobs, Health Professions Club (several leadership roles), Exercise Science Club, Governing Board for Residence Hall first two years, SEP at UNC-Chapel Hill Participate, Research in Exercise Science Lab for 3 years, Journal Club, 60 hours at on-campus therapy clinic (not counted above because it was overseen by Athletic Trainers), and volunteering during the summer in PT clinic. Currently working full-time, retaking classes, and volunteering at a rehabilitation hospital.
LOR: 3 PTs, 1 Professor
Planning to Apply: Duke, George Washington University, UNC-Chapel Hil, University of Maryland-Baltimore, Methodist University, Eastern Tennessee State University, Elon University, and Winston-Salem State University.
UPDATE: I got pulled off the waitlist at WSSU on 9/24 from last cycle. I ended up pulling my application from UMB, ETSU, Elon, and UNC. I also received invited for GW and Methodist that I turned down.

ACCEPTANCE UPDATE! :soexcited:

UPDATE :)

University: UCSD
Major: Human Development
Undergrad GPA: 3.01
Post Bacc: 3.4
Overall GPA: 3.21
Pre-Req GPA: ~3.4
GRE: 149V, 148Q, 5.0AW
LORs: 2 Outpatient PTs [1 is a supervisor, 1 has 30+ years experience], 1 Professor [Physics]

Extra-Curric: Pre-PT club, Kaibigang Pilipino, Hospice Volunteer

Work: Activity Assistant at Nursing Home, Outpatient Physical therapy aide, Acute Rehab Tech, Behavioral Technician

Observation: Acute Rehab (190 Hrs), Outpatient PT Department (1800+ Hours), Pediatric Outpatient (40), Adult Day Health Center PT (70 Hours),

Applied/Applying: CSU Northridge, Chapman, Murphy Deming, AT Still, University of Mary, University of Pacific, Franklin Pierce Arizona, Wheeling Jesuit, University of St. Augustine - San Marcos, Emory & Henry, Regis, Northern Arizona,

Interviews:
University of Mary [10/24], Wheeling Jesuit [Phone Interview-11/9], University of St. Augustine (Fall/Residential) - San Marcos [12/13], Emory & Henry [01/12]

Acceptances: University of St. Augustine, San Marcos! :D
Waitlist:
Northern Arizona (waitlist to interview), University of Mary [10/24]
Rejections: Franklin Pierce, Wheeling Jesuit [11/19], UOP, Regis,

So glad to see so many people on this thread receive acceptances! Congrats everyone, we made it to pt school.

Reactions: 3 users
University: Iowa State University
Major: Kinesiology/ Pre-PT
Overall GPA: 3.64
Pre-Req GPA: not entirely sure, depends on school. Around 3.5
GRE: 153, 157, 4.5

Extra-Curric: Involved in a couple kinesiology/pt clubs, special olympics volunteer, undergrad research assistant for a physical activity and aging study, work part time

Observation hours: 100 hours in a wide variety of inpatient/outpatient settings, helped a paraplegic man do his therapy after his insurance ran out

Acceptances: St. Ambrose University

Rejections: None yet

Interviews: Des Moines University (10/5)

Applied to: Des Moines University, University of Iowa, St Ambrose, Univ of Colorado, Univ of Indianapolis, Clarke University, University of Kansas, Northern Arizona University

Hi there! I have been invited to interview at Des Moines University and I was wondering if you could provide any insight on how they are conducted? Any info helps! :) Feel free to message me also! Thanks in advance.

In reply to you referring to deposit time windows... Just so all students on this thread know. FOR ALL DPT PROGRAMS, YOU ARE NOT REQUIRED TO PUT A DEPOSIT DOWN UNTIL JANUARY 15TH, 2019. If a school tells you a date before that, it is a lie. Schools are known to do this so it's easier for them to fill their class faster. It is also beneficial to students so that if they receive another offer of acceptance elsewhere, they can choose their options without losing money. Refer to these updated traffic rules updated 2016=2017. Also, if a school does tell you that you are required to pay a deposit before Jan. 15th, 2019 or else they may withdraw your offer of acceptance, you should contact the APTA and tell them what school it is. Some schools have gotten in trouble with this in the past few years thus why these new updated policies were proposed.

https://acapt.org/docs/default-sour...-approved823bdf70d79d6aa08906ff0000592408.pdf

Is this for real!? I felt cornered with Azusa Pacific and asked for an extension to which they declined. They start in January so I am not sure if the rule applies to them still

Is this for real!? I felt cornered with Azusa Pacific and asked for an extension to which they declined. They start in January so I am not sure if the rule applies to them still
PTCAS has a page on the ACAPT Admissions Traffic Rules that says, “While all PT programs and applicants are expected to abide by these rules, APTA and PTCAS cannot comment on, or enforce them.” But it seems reasonable for APU to require a deposit due earlier than this deadline since the start date is earlier than most programs.

PTCAS has a page on the ACAPT Admissions Traffic Rules that says, “While all PT programs and applicants are expected to abide by these rules, APTA and PTCAS cannot comment on, or enforce them.” But it seems reasonable for APU to require a deposit due earlier than this deadline since the start date is earlier than most programs.

Yes I figured this. $1.2k is kind of absurd though, for a christian school

UPDATE. One more interview before I call it quits for them because my top two choices are Rosalind Franklin and Governors State.
Hi, I also am a Kinesiology major at UIUC and have about the same prereq GPA as you. Did you take a GAP year/do you have any advice for me? I've been waitlisted/rejected from almost everywhere -- still waiting to hear back from Rosalind Franklin & Midwestern. Need any advice/tips if you could maybe tell me what you've been doing throughout your experience. Thanks!

Hi, I also am a Kinesiology major at UIUC and have about the same prereq GPA as you. Did you take a GAP year/do you have any advice for me? I've been waitlisted/rejected from almost everywhere -- still waiting to hear back from Rosalind Franklin & Midwestern. Need any advice/tips if you could maybe tell me what you've been doing throughout your experience. Thanks!
Hi! Just thought I'd jump in here if that's ok because my PTCAS calculated GPA is also 3.69 which is close. Last year I applied to 10 schools, only received interviews at 2, and ended up getting waitlisted at both. I was forced to take a gap year. At first I cried (lol) but that gap year turned out to be exactly what I needed- For both my application and personally. It has been so nice not having to focus solely on school and just getting to work, and getting to enjoy time with friends and family without that stress. I was able to re take a class online to bring up my GPA and prerequisite GPA for some schools, and I finally got to focus on studying for the GRE like I had never gotten to do before because I was so worried about passing classes. I also had time to get a full-time tech job that has been the best experience I could ask for and really feel like it will help me in PT school. The point of this is, don't be discouraged and don't be scared of having to take a gap year! I've never heard of anyone that has hated doing it lol. I was able to reapply this year to 8 schools and this time I was invited to interview at 7 out of the 8 programs I applied. I was waitlisted at the first one I went to, then was accepted at my 2nd! Schools value dedication and improvement and a gap year is perfect to show them how much PT school really matters to you! :)

Hi! Just thought I'd jump in here if that's ok because my PTCAS calculated GPA is also 3.69 which is close. Last year I applied to 10 schools, only received interviews at 2, and ended up getting waitlisted at both. I was forced to take a gap year. At first I cried (lol) but that gap year turned out to be exactly what I needed- For both my application and personally. It has been so nice not having to focus solely on school and just getting to work, and getting to enjoy time with friends and family without that stress. I was able to re take a class online to bring up my GPA and prerequisite GPA for some schools, and I finally got to focus on studying for the GRE like I had never gotten to do before because I was so worried about passing classes. I also had time to get a full-time tech job that has been the best experience I could ask for and really feel like it will help me in PT school. The point of this is, don't be discouraged and don't be scared of having to take a gap year! I've never heard of anyone that has hated doing it lol. I was able to reapply this year to 8 schools and this time I was invited to interview at 7 out of the 8 programs I applied. I was waitlisted at the first one I went to, then was accepted at my 2nd! Schools value dedication and improvement and a gap year is perfect to show them how much PT school really matters to you! :)
This was super helpful! Thank you so much for giving me your insight. A gap year may seem to be in the works for me as well, but there are definitely several positive things that come out of it. Thank you again, and good luck to you!

Reactions: 1 user

Hello! I have not taken a gap year, currently a senior at U of I. It is very hard to get a sense of how you can improve your application without knowing how yours looks. If you can fill these in, I can try to help.

Cumulative GPA:
Pre-requisite GPA
:
GRE:
Extra-curriculars/Experiences:
Volunteer/Observation Hours:
LORs:
Applied:
Interviews:
Acceptances:
Rejections:

University of Alabama: advertising major, creative writing minor
Cumulative GPA: 3.65
Pre-requisite GPA: 3.4

GRE: 151 quant 163 verbal 4.5 writing
Volunteer/Observation Hours: 200 in patient/outpatient (obs nero, pediatrics, general outpatient ortho, wound care, cardiopulmonary)
LORs: 3 PTs 1 prof
Applied: Touro, Emory and Henry, Washington, UTEP, Drexel, Regis, Nova Southeastern, Armstrong, Thomas Jefferson
Interviews: Emory and Henry
Acceptances: UTEP WHOOOO
Rejections: Nova Southeastern, Armstrong

Waitlist: Emory and Henry, Drexel, Regis, Jefferson

I am SO EXCITED to say that I will be attending UTEP DPT program in May!!!!!!!!

University of Alabama: advertising major, creative writing minor
Cumulative GPA: 3.65
Pre-requisite GPA: 3.4
GRE: 151 quant 163 verbal 4.5 writing
Volunteer/Observation Hours: 200 in patient/outpatient (obs nero, pediatrics, general outpatient ortho, wound care, cardiopulmonary)
LORs: 3 PTs 1 prof
Applied: Touro, Emory and Henry, Washington, UTEP, Drexel, Regis, Nova Southeastern, Armstrong, Thomas Jefferson
Interviews: Emory and Henry
Acceptances: UTEP WHOOOO
Rejections: Nova Southeastern, Armstrong
Waitlist: Emory and Henry, Drexel, Regis, Jefferson

I am SO EXCITED to say that I will be attending UTEP DPT program in May!!!!!!!!
i have an interview at E+H coming up! any advice you could give me? Thanks in advance and congrats

Hello! I have not taken a gap year, currently a senior at U of I. It is very hard to get a sense of how you can improve your application without knowing how yours looks. If you can fill these in, I can try to help.

Got it!
Cumulative GPA: 3.44
Pre-requisite GPA: 3.20 - 3.45 depending on the school
GRE: 150 Verbal, 157 Quant., 5.0 Writing
Extra-curriculars/Experiences: On the exec board of my sorority and a few clubs, research assistant for Kinesiology lab, teaching assistant for a kinesiology course
Volunteer/Observation Hours: ~80 hours in outpatient, ~30 in inpatient
LORs: 1 from physical therapist, 1 from advisor, and 1 from kinesiology professor
Applied: Rosalind Franklin, Midwestern, Governors State, Des Moines University, University of Indianapolis, and MGH IHP
Interviews: None
Acceptances:
Waitlisted:
University of Indianapolis, MGH IHP
Rejections: Governors State, Des Moines University

I’m here to offer hope to anyone applying in future cycles who scoured these message boards like I did for any stories that would give me a glimmer of encouragement cause seriously I thought I had no hope of even getting into a school.

Summary Stats/Results: 3.0 cGPA/low pGPA and got into/waitlisted at: Columbia, UCSF, Northwestern, MGH, etc.

Graduated in 2015 w/ a cGPA of 2.82. I was pursuing PA, didn’t really like it, and spent my time building a volunteer organization. I had 3 years off w/ 2.5 years retaking classes. 1st year I was still pursuing PA and got grades in the A-/B+ range for about 10 classes. I was told by an advisor to not retake pre-reqs but rather “higher versions” of a class. Bad idea. RETAKE YOUR PREREQUISITES! Once I decided on PT I got straight A’s (about 10 classes worth). I already wasted a bunch of time though so the only prerequisites I got to retake were Physics 1 and Chem 1.

——————————————————————————

cGPA: 3.04
pGPA: 2.92-3.3
GRE: 159 V, 162 Q, 4.0 AWA (I studied for about a month while taking a light course load, didn’t do as well as I would have liked cause I was super sick on the day of the test and spent half the time wanting water and the other half wanting to pee)
Extracurriculars in College: Founded first west-coast collegiate branch of the world’s largest service organization Lions Club International (4 years and awarded President’s Volunteer Service Award), 2 years in student run clinic (officer in my last year), 2 one-week medical mission trips, ~6 months volunteering at a medical center (4-6 hrs/wk), 1 year volunteering at hospital(4-6 hrs/wk), misc things (2 jobs about 7 months each, Entertainment Council, Photography Club)
Extracurriculars after College: 2 years as a health coach at low-income clinic (10-20hrs/week), 3 years as shift coordinator at non-profit holistic health clinic (4-5 hrs/month), Peer Advisor for PA & PT (2 years), TA for Psych Professor (1 year), Rehab Tech (8 months)
PT Volunteer Hours: 4 hrs outpatient dance clinic, ~700 hrs rehab tech at SNF (paid), ~100 hrs at outpatient orthopedic, ~70 hrs at outpatient pediatrics
Certification: BLS

------------------------

Applied: So damn many. I didn’t think I’d get in anywhere so I applied to soooooooo many places. And it was not necessary.
-Briar Cliff, AT Still, Northwestern, Rocky Mountain University, Columbia, Augusta University, UCSF/SFSU, Mount Saint Mary’s, Samuel Merritt, University of Mary, Touro College, CSU Northridge, Touro University Nevada, University of Rhode Island, University of Saint Mary, MGH Institute, Creighton University, Mount St. Joseph University, CSU Fresno, Chapman University, Mercy College, Rosalind Franklin, Hunter College

Offered Interviews that I Accepted : Augusta University (10/19), University of Mary (10/24), Columbia (11/2), UCSF (2/1)
Offered Interview but I Declined: University of St. Mary, Mt. St. Joseph, University of Rhode Island, AT Still, Mercy College

Accepted: Columbia (11/5), Touro University Nevada (11/20), Augusta University (12/3), Samuel Merritt (12/13), MGH Institute (12/17), UCSF (2/15)
Waitlist: Northwestern (11/30), University of Mary (10/24-my online interview was plagued by bad internet connection, I didn’t expect much)
Rejected: Creighton University, Rocky Mountain University, CSU Fresno, Hunter College

As of now I've chosen Columbia which was my top pick along with Samuel Merritt & Augusta. I am giving UCSF a look though since I never got to visit.

——————————————————————————

Every school counselor I met with except 1 said I wouldn’t get into school period. I met the Program Directors of both Columbia and Northwestern when I was about 1.5-2 years after graduating (when my grades were already quite a bit better) and explained my grade situation. Both were really sweet but told me I basically had no chance with my grades. They even went as far as offering other school suggestions. But I can now say I was accepted into one and waitlisted in the other and I applied to both.

My biggest tips:
1) Retake prereqs
2) Do well on your GRE (they say it doesn’t super matter but if you have low grades it seems like they use it as a basic “are you somewhat academically competent” meter.
3) Blow them away with your personal statement: I had my idea done within a few days but spent 2 months perfecting it. I strongly believe my essays were a huge contributing factor to my acceptances.
4) Make sure your letters of ref stand out. Talk to the people who are writing your letters about what each school is looking for. I even typed up lists of things I did w/ that advisor that demonstrated those traits. It’s nerve-wracking and I’m not a very self-promoting person, but trust they want the best for you and you can word it as “I’m applying for __school name___. They like applicants that exhibit __traits____. Here’s some examples of when I believe I demonstrated __traits______. If you are comfortable, can you work it in?”

Most importantly DON’T GIVE UP! I seriously never thought I’d get into a single school versus multiple top ranking schools. My TLDR moral is: don’t bother applying to a butt ton of school just cause your GPA is low/you may have more hope than you think + apply to schools even if you think you’re not gonna get in. Good luck future PT’s! I really hope this offers some hope to people out there.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
Hi, everybody! I am currently in the top 10 alternate list at UTHSC (Memphis). To anyone who has been in this situation before, did you end up getting accepted? The program accepts 65 students, so I was wondering if I still had a good shot of getting in. This is my number-one school of choice! TIA!

Has anyone not heard anything from NYU or stony brook? I applied back in October and have still heard nothing at all.

UPDATED:

University: Kent State University
Major: Exercise Science/Pre Physical Therapy
Cumulative GPA: 3.81
PreReq GPA: 3.9
GRE: Verbal 148 Quant 152 Writing 4.5
Extra Curricular: Service Chair of Honors Fraternity, worked in an exercise science research lab, a student ambassador for 2 semesters, dance team for 1 semester, volunteer @ the Barber National Institute.

Volunteer/Work Experience: 500 + hours working as a PT Tech, 20 hours @ outpatient children's clinic, 8 hours @ inpatient acute care.

LORs: 2 PTs I work with, 1 Professor, 1 former boss

Applied: Chatham, Gannon (Erie), Slippery Rock, Ohio State University, Radford

Interviews: Chatham (11/03), Radford (11/16)

Accepted: Gannon (11/14), Radford (11/20), Chatham (11/21), Slippery Rock (12/14)

Rejected: OSU

Attending: Chatham University!!

Updates!!!

Undergraduate:
University of Alabama

Extra-Curricular: Tri-beta social media coordinator, AED, Pre PT society, ER volunteer, Dean's list (3 semesters)

Interviews: UCF (12/13), UNF (declined), FGCU (declined), FIU (declined)

Will be attending UCF!!!

First time posting... ah, I guess here goes! :eek:

Major: Psychology
Minor: N/A
Overall GPA: 4.0 (both W/UW)
GRE Scores: Q159, V163, AW4.5

Volunteer Hours: ~200; mostly outpatient ortho, peds. I only had ~10 hours inpatient
LOR: 2 PTs (ortho, peds) and 1 professor
Extra-Curricular: Supervisor at on-campus job

Applied: Drexel, Arcadia, GW, UMB, UNT
Interviews: Drexel, GW, UMB, UNT (declined)
Acceptances: Drexel (w/ scholarship), GW(w/ scholarship), UMB, Arcadia (w/ scholarship)

Open to anyone's opinions/experiences with Drexel, Arcadia, GW, UMB!

Updates!!!

Undergraduate:
University of Alabama

Interviews: UCF (12/13), UNF (declined), FGCU (declined), FIU (declined)

Will be attending UCF!!!

Congrats! I was accepted before the holiday as well and plan on attending :)

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile