GPA's, GRE's, XTRA's, ACCEPTANCES

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Major: Psychology
Overall GPA: 3.3
GRE Scores: Q154, V158 AW4.5

Volunteer Hours: ~800 hours in 6 types of settings; working as PT aide currently
LOR: 2 PTs and 1 professor

Applied: Hunter, CSI, Touro, Stony Brook, NYU, Downstate, Upstate, LIU, Rutgers North, Rutgers South, NYIT, U St. Augustine
Interviews Offered: Hunter, CSI, Touro, Stony Brook, NYU, Downstate (withdrew app), LIU, Rutgers North, Rutgers South, U St. Augustine (withdrew app)
Acceptances: Hunter, CSI, Stony Brook, LIU, Rutgers South, Touro
Waitlisted at Rutgers North
Rejections: NYIT

Members don't see this ad.

First time posting... ah, I guess here goes! :eek:

Minor: N/A
Overall GPA: 4.0 (both W/UW)
GRE Scores: Q159, V163, AW4.5

Volunteer Hours: ~200; mostly outpatient ortho, peds. I only had ~10 hours inpatient
LOR: 2 PTs (ortho, peds) and 1 professor
Extra-Curricular: Supervisor at on-campus job

Applied: Drexel, Arcadia, GW, UMB, UNT
Interviews: Drexel, GW, UMB, UNT (declined)
Acceptances: Drexel (w/ scholarship), GW(w/ scholarship), UMB, Arcadia (w/ scholarship)
Rejections: N/A

Open to anyone's opinions/experiences with Drexel, Arcadia, GW, UMB!

I can only speak for Drexel but I was blown away by their program. personally, I really liked how their curriculum was set up as well as the plethora of research and volunteer opportunity. As well as access to the cadaver lab less than a block away would be a great benefit. When I was there and from what I heard from current students I have talked to is that they really help you throughout the whole program that staff is very experienced and attentive. Their stats speak for themselves with board pass rate, it seems like an amazing program to be a part of. But keep in mind there is a 150-mile minimum travel distance for one of the full-time clinical and a chance of other clinicals being located far as well so if you have to move to the city you would have to sublet which can be hard. I know that is a factor for me as I decide between Drexel and my other programs. Hope this helps, good luck with your decision!!

Reactions: 1 user
Overall GPA: 3.3
GRE Scores: Q154, V158 AW4.5

Volunteer Hours: ~800 hours in 6 types of settings; working as PT aide currently
LOR: 2 PTs and 1 professor

Applied: Hunter, CSI, Touro, Stony Brook, NYU, Downstate, Upstate, LIU, Rutgers North, Rutgers South, NYIT, U St. Augustine
Interviews Offered: Hunter, CSI, Touro, Stony Brook, NYU, Downstate (withdrew app), LIU, Rutgers North, Rutgers South, U St. Augustine (withdrew app)
Acceptances: Hunter, CSI, Stony Brook, LIU, Rutgers South, Touro
Waitlisted at Rutgers North
Rejections: NYIT
Congratulations!!! What program are you thinking of attending?

Members don't see this ad :)
I can only speak for Drexel but I was blown away by their program. personally, I really liked how their curriculum was set up as well as the plethora of research and volunteer opportunity. As well as access to the cadaver lab less than a block away would be a great benefit. When I was there and from what I heard from current students I have talked to is that they really help you throughout the whole program that staff is very experienced and attentive. Their stats speak for themselves with board pass rate, it seems like an amazing program to be a part of. But keep in mind there is a 150-mile minimum travel distance for one of the full-time clinical and a chance of other clinicals being located far as well so if you have to move to the city you would have to sublet which can be hard. I know that is a factor for me as I decide between Drexel and my other programs. Hope this helps, good luck with your decision!!

Thanks for your insights!!! Congrats on Drexel! Do you mind me asking what other schools you're considering?

With Drexel, I'm not sure how much I would like the quarter system, and I actually don't know how long each clinical is. I know there are three, for a total of 32-33 weeks... is each 11 weeks long? I think it would be cool to ask a current student for a sample schedule of their week, but unfortunately, I don't have the contact info of any current students!

Thanks for your insights!!! Congrats on Drexel! Do you mind me asking what other schools you're considering?

With Drexel, I'm not sure how much I would like the quarter system, and I actually don't know how long each clinical is. I know there are three, for a total of 32-33 weeks... is each 11 weeks long? I think it would be cool to ask a current student for a sample schedule of their week, but unfortunately, I don't have the contact info of any current students!

No problem, I hoped I helped a little with this hard decision. I was fortunate enough to be accepted a few other places. I was accepted to Drexel, Rutgers south, Arcadia, Jefferson, Stockton, Widener and waiting to hear from Kean and Seton Hall. I am really torn between Drexel and Stockton currently. Stockton is close enough for me to commute and cheaper but I really liked Drexel's program while I was there. At Drexel everyone that I talked to said it was not bad to adapt to the quarter system that it broke up the information and kept it more fast paced than the semester system. I believe they are around 11 weeks because at the interview they said about 3 months for each full time clinical so that would make sense. As far as their schedule I am not so sure, if I remember correctly from interview day most days are 8 or 9-5 but they leave certain afternoons free for ICE experiences for certain semesters.

University: Skidmore College
Major: Health and Exercise Sciences
Overall GPA: 3.42
Pre-Req GPA (science and math): 3.15
GRE: 155v/ 150q/ 4.0aw

Extra-Curric: Peer Health Educator (4 years), Basketball Coach (3 years), PE teaching assistant (2 years), 8th/7th Grade Math Teacher (Summer Progam), Athletic Training Assistant (1 year)

Observation hours: outpatient 800+

Acceptances: Samuel Merritt

Rejections: Pacific University (Oregon) (did not meet min. science/math GPA)

Interviews: UCSF/SFSU (Feb 1), University of Colorado (declined)

Waiting on University of Washington (Seattle)

Hi, sorry for such late reply. hopefully you see this. Nice GRE scores! However, I didn't even get a 150 on either verbal or quant, so I honestly don't think GRE is that important. Your grades can improve (cumulative GPA should be at least 3.5 to be competitive is general rule). But in my opinion, from what you've shared here your application lacks most in extracurriculars and observations. PT schools wants to see that you actually have been exposed to a lot of PT type settings and actually go out of your way to get exposure to a lot of different things. This doesn't just mean shadowing a therapist, it can be a lot of different things. You have to think and do what other applicants are not doing to improve your chances. For me, this meant spending two months to perfect my personal statement. That's another thing I find it likely very overlooked by a lot of people. You really get a good platform to express yourself as an individual by means of essays/ supplemental essays that school require when applying. This is also why I say GRE and grades are not that important, but you should at least be at average (3.5 gpa, 300 GRE). Try to improve at a couple of those things especially extracurriculars, exosures/ experiences with PT/ healthcase, and your essays when applying. Maybe retake a science course or something if you didn't do well in one. Hopefully that helps. Message me if you want! Good luck.

i have an interview at E+H coming up! any advice you could give me? Thanks in advance and congrats
My interview wasn't the best, but from what I understand from other prospective students is that most interviewers are going to be warm and want to genuinely learn about you. My interviewer read my resume to me and asked me cursory questions about it and seemed really uninterested in my answers. My advice is to go in ready to take the initiative in showing off your skills, experiences, and achievements because you may have to do more of the leg work in the interview than you expect. All of the interviewers really like to answer questions about the program though so try to take advantage of that part of the interview to get them talking. Best of luck with your interview!!

My interview wasn't the best, but from what I understand from other prospective students is that most interviewers are going to be warm and want to genuinely learn about you. My interviewer read my resume to me and asked me cursory questions about it and seemed really uninterested in my answers. My advice is to go in ready to take the initiative in showing off your skills, experiences, and achievements because you may have to do more of the leg work in the interview than you expect. All of the interviewers really like to answer questions about the program though so try to take advantage of that part of the interview to get them talking. Best of luck with your interview!!
Hey! Did you have to bring a resume?

Hi, sorry for such late reply. hopefully you see this. Nice GRE scores! However, I didn't even get a 150 on either verbal or quant, so I honestly don't think GRE is that important. Your grades can improve (cumulative GPA should be at least 3.5 to be competitive is general rule). But in my opinion, from what you've shared here your application lacks most in extracurriculars and observations. PT schools wants to see that you actually have been exposed to a lot of PT type settings and actually go out of your way to get exposure to a lot of different things. This doesn't just mean shadowing a therapist, it can be a lot of different things. You have to think and do what other applicants are not doing to improve your chances. For me, this meant spending two months to perfect my personal statement. That's another thing I find it likely very overlooked by a lot of people. You really get a good platform to express yourself as an individual by means of essays/ supplemental essays that school require when applying. This is also why I say GRE and grades are not that important, but you should at least be at average (3.5 gpa, 300 GRE). Try to improve at a couple of those things especially extracurriculars, exosures/ experiences with PT/ healthcase, and your essays when applying. Maybe retake a science course or something if you didn't do well in one. Hopefully that helps. Message me if you want! Good luck.

thank you!!

what other type of PT type settings did you do to stand out, if you dont mind me asking?

University: Pennsylvania State University
Major: Kinesiology
Undergrad GPA: 3.4
Pre-req GPA: ~3.3
GRE: 156V, 152Q, 4.0W

Extracurriculars/Experiences: Neurology research lab undergrad, THON committee member, R.F.K.C. camp counselor, Varsity boys assistant soccer coach, PT aide
Awards: Dean’s List
Volunteer/Observation Hours: 2450 outpatient hours in 5 settings (I work as a pt aide), 25 inpatient hours
Certifications: Adult & pediatric CPR, AED, and first aid
LORs: 3 PT, 1 Prof

Applied: Youngstown State, Chatham, Maryland - Baltimore, West Virginia, RMUoHP, Wheeling Jesuit, High Point, Hampton, Pitt, Emory & Henry, Gannon, Walsh, Brenau, Seton Hall, and Messiah (I applied to a lot since my stats aren’t that impressive)
Interviews: Wheeling Jesuit (11/12), Emory & Henry (11/17), High Point (12/3), Messiah (1/9), Brenau (1/11), Walsh (1/18)
Acceptances: Seton Hall (1/7)
Rejections: RMUoHP
Waitlist: Youngstown State, Wheeling Jesuit, High Point, Emory & Henry, Gannon

University: Pennsylvania State University
Pre-req GPA: ~3.3
GRE: 156V, 152Q, 4.0W

Extracurriculars/Experiences: Neurology research lab undergrad, THON committee member, R.F.K.C. camp counselor, Varsity boys assistant soccer coach, PT aide
Awards: Dean’s List
Volunteer/Observation Hours: 2450 outpatient hours in 5 settings (I work as a pt aide), 25 inpatient hours
Certifications: Adult & pediatric CPR, AED, and first aid
LORs: 3 PT, 1 Prof

Applied: Youngstown State, Chatham, Maryland - Baltimore, West Virginia, RMUoHP, Wheeling Jesuit, High Point, Hampton, Pitt, Emory & Henry, Gannon, Walsh, Brenau, Seton Hall, and Messiah (I applied to a lot since my stats aren’t that impressive)
Interviews: Wheeling Jesuit (11/12), Emory & Henry (11/17), High Point (12/3), Messiah (1/9), Brenau (1/11), Walsh (1/18)
Acceptances: Seton Hall (1/7)
Rejections: RMUoHP
Waitlist: Youngstown State, Wheeling Jesuit, High Point, Emory & Henry, Gannon
Congrats on the acceptance to Seton Hall! How dod you feel about there program?

Members don't see this ad :)
hey thanks so much for your response! By "reading your resume" does that mean you handed them one? Or was this based off of your application? And could you i guess give me more detail by what you mean by them just reading your resume back? Like maybe an example question? Im not asking you to give me a list of what they asked, but more trying to understand. Is it more like "why did you not do as well on this class" or "how was your experience at ____ clinic?"

Congrats on the acceptance to Seton Hall! How dod you feel about there program?

I like the post-graduation possibilities of their location and the wide array of faculty research interests. But I don’t like that all of the clinical are during the final year and the price is a bit high

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Has anyone heard from KUMC, or know anything about the typical stats of people who get accepted?

what other type of PT type settings did you do to stand out, if you dont mind me asking?

I've been a personal trainer for over a year. I lead an exercise class for an older population through a program at my university. volunteered at local animal shelters for years, had different jobs previously like lifeguarding/ customer service in which I related to PT, research assistant in a Kinesiology lab on campus and completed own study project in the lab.

At first when completing my application, I wasn't sure if I should include some things on my application because I didn't think they were 100% relevant to PT like volunteering at animal shelters. But I figured it wouldn't hurt, so I recommend to anyone torn whether they should include a certain thing on their application, just do it but make sure it is at least somewhat relatable and translatable to PT. I even included things like when I used to be a lifeguard and my current jobs I work at at my university.

Last edited:
Update
Overall GPA: 3.29
Pre-Req GPA: 3.4 - 3.6ish
GRE: 152 V 151 Q 4.0 W

Extra-Curric: personal trainer, home health aide, physical therapy aide, fundraisers, played rugby, president of powerlifting club, etc etc

1500 hours of paid outpatient, 25 hours of pediatric school setting, and 50 inpatient hospital

Applied to: NYU, LIU, CSI, Drexel, Thomas Jefferson, Stony Brook, NYIT, Seton Hall, Touro and Marist

Acceptances: Drexel, Stony Brook, LIU, Touro

Rejections: Thomas Jefferson

Waitlisted: NYIT, CSI

Interviews: NYIT (10/26), Stony Brook (11/30), Drexel (11/9), CSI (12/3), LIU (12/4), Marist (declined)

I'm basically choosing between drexel, stony brook and csi (if i get in). stony brook seems amazing but its the most expensive at $125k :(
csi is cheap at $40k but doesn't seem like anything special...

if anyone has info on CSI let me know! thanks & good luck

ACCEPTANCE UPDATE WOOOOOO

Major: Exercise Science Pre-PT
Overall GPA: 3.83
Pre-Req GPA: 3.81-3.87
GRE Scores: Q 151 V 146 AW 4.0
Hours: 1050 outpatient, 500 inpatient
LOR: 2 PT, 1 professor

Applied: Seton Hall, Utica College, SUNY Downstate, Hunter College, College of Staten Island, D'Youville, Nazareth Rochester,
Interviews: Hunter College (11/13), Nazareth (Declined), College of Staten Island (11/29), Utica College (Declined)
Acceptances: SUNY Downstate (01/09)
Rejections:
College of Staten Island (12/19)

I honestly thought I wouldn't get into school this cycle especially one that is in my top list and only 30 mins away as my GRE scores were extremely low. I hope this gives hope to those with low GRE scores-- make sure you have an above average GPA, seriously prepare for the interview, and show that you are dedicated to PT by exposing yourself to PT observations! I can finally go to sleep peacefully now!! Good luck to all!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

Applied: Seton Hall, Utica College, SUNY Downstate, Hunter College, College of Staten Island, D'Youville, Nazareth Rochester,
Interviews: Hunter College (11/13), Nazareth (Declined), College of Staten Island (11/29), Utica College (Declined)
Rejections:

I honestly thought I wouldn't get into school this cycle especially one that is in my top list and only 30 mins away as my GRE scores were extremely low. I hope this gives hope to those with low GRE scores-- make sure you have an above average GPA, seriously prepare for the interview, and show that you are dedicated to PT by exposing yourself to PT observations! I can finally go to sleep peacefully now!! Good luck to all!
Congrats!!! I have similar GPA and GRE scores as you and I’ve been accepted to 2 schools!! Don’t give up hope everyone if you have a low GRE score. Just make sure you have a good GPA and do well on an interview!

Rejections:

Congrats on your acceptance!! How was your interview and kind of questions did they ask?

Congrats on your acceptance!! How was your interview and kind of questions did they ask?
Do you have an interview? The interview was amazing, I think it was a big part of my acceptance. It was so down to earth and conversational. I interviewed with Dr. Katz, she was so sweet. She really asked one or two questions, and others was just going with the flow. Questions she asked, what do I know about Downstate? am I prepared to participate in professional touching with both genders?

I've been a personal trainer for over a year. I lead an exercise class for an older population through a program at my university. volunteered at local animal shelters for years, had different jobs previously like lifeguarding/ customer service in which I related to PT, research assistant in a Kinesiology lab on campus and completed own study project in the lab.

At first when completing my application, I wasn't sure if I should include some things on my application because I didn't think they were 100% relevant to PT like volunteering at animal shelters. But I figured it wouldn't hurt, so I recommend to anyone torn whether they should include a certain thing on their application, just do it but make sure it is at least somewhat relatable and translatable to PT. I even included things like when I used to be a lifeguard and my current jobs I work at at my university.

how did you relate it to PT settings. Because I did a few things before i decided to go into PT

*Second time applying
Updates

University: Arizona State University
Major: Kinesiology (Dec. 2016)

cGPA: 3.34
Pre-req GPA: 3.08-3.57
Science GPA: 2.95 (includes 2 very bad Organic Chemistry grades....)

GRE: V:146, Q:153, AWA: 4.0 *I will take suggestions on how to improve verbal.

Experience: 2000+ hours outpatient
*135 hours from an Internship as a Rehab Tech at a Physical Medicine clinic.
*Approximately 8 months as a PRN OT Tech at an outpatient Hand Therapy clinic.
*Full time outpatient PT Tech since November 2017 with a good combo of ortho, neuro, hand, and geriatric patients.
33 hours of inpatient shadowing (20 acute care, 13 neuro rehab).

Extra-Curricular: Competitive BMX racer, collegiate cyclist for 2 years on scholarship, 1+ years experience as a Mobile Personal Trainer. Dean's List for my last 2 semesters, and a cycling-relating "Academic All-Star" award, BLS provider from AHA.

LORs: 2 PTs (worked with both as a tech that I built great relationships with), 1 academic advisor, 1 OT that also serves as a supervisor/employer (also worked with as a tech and built a great relationship with).

Strong Personal Statement, at least says my buddy who is an RN.

Applied: U of Toledo, CSUN, Bellarmine, UTC, U of FL, Franklin Pierce (AZ), Nazareth, UTEP, UCF, Regis, KUMC, UK, Touro Nevada, A.T. Still, EWU, ETSU, University of OK, West Coast U

Acceptances: N/A
Interviews: A.T. Still (10/30)
Waitlist: U of Toledo for interview (11/5), UTC (11/14), Touro Nevada (11/20), A.T. Still (12/17), UTEP (1/10)
Rejections: Regis (12/12), U of Toledo (12/15), Franklin Pierce AZ (1/7), EWU (1/13)

Got confirmation of completion e-mails from all except for Bellarmine.

PTCAS Submitted: 9/3/18

Last edited:
University: University of Washington
Major: Biochemistry
Undergrad GPA: 3.28
Postbacc GPA: 3.96
Pre-requisite GPA: 3.67ish
GRE: 156V, 159Q, 4.5 W

Extra-curriculars/Experiences:
Research Assistant, Hospital Volunteer, Ministry Experience
Volunteer/Observation Hours:
2500+ Outpatient
40 SNF
30 Pediatrics

LORs:
2 PT's, 1 Prof, 1 Supervisor

Applied: Samuel Merritt, MGHIHP, Northern Arizona, University of Illinois - Chicago, Northwestern, Boston University, University of Washington, UPS, UNLV, NYMC, Regis, St. Augustine, USC, Florida

Interviews: NYMC, USA-San Marcos, Regis, UNLV
Waitlist: Northwestern, UIC, Samuel Merritt
Acceptances: NYMC, USA - San Marcos, MGHIHP, Boston U, USC

Attending:
Rejections: NAU
when did you hear from USC?

University: California State University, Long Beach
Major: Kinesiology, Exercise Science
Overall GPA: 3.84
Pre-Req GPA: 4.00
GRE: 151V 158Q 4.5W

Volunteer: 800+ outpatient, 100 inpatient
LOR: 2 physical therapists; 1 CSULB professor

Applied: Chapman University, CSU Northridge, CSU Sacramento, Northern Arizona University, Mayo Clinic, USC
Interviews: Mayo Clinic (declined), NAU, CSU Sacramento (declined)
Acceptances: NAU, CSUN
Rejections:
when did you hear back from CSUN?

I did practice sets with verbal question so 20 questions and timed myself like the actual exam and went through a lot of vocab words. And of course, I did practice tests as well I did alright by getting 155 and 160 on verbal.

University: University of California, San Diego (2006)
Major: International Studies, Minor: Spanish Literature
Overall GPA: 3.7
Pre-Req GPA: 4.0
GRE: 162 v/ 156q / 5.5 aw

Extra-Curric: 12+ years work experience in various professional offices (including hospital PT dept), 6 years concurrently teaching fitness classes, TA for Biology Department Chair

Volunteer: 130 hours in 2 different PT clinics (outpatient ortho, and specialty hospital: cancer related, pelvic floor, lymphedema)

LORs: 1 PT (Lead PT); 2 profs (including 1 that I TA'd for who was dept chair)

Applied: Chapman University, USC, CSULB, Pacific University, West Coast University, CSUN, SDSU, UCSF/SFSU

Acceptances: Chapman University

Rejections:

Interviews: UCSF/SFSU (Feb 1); Pacific U. (declined), West Coast U.

Update!

University: College of Charleston '14
Major: Biology (minors in Spanish and Mathematics)
Overall GPA: 3.43
Pre-Req GPA: around 3.3/3.4
GRE: 157Q/161V/4.5 Writing
LOR: 2 PTs, 1 major professor, 1 supervisor

Extra-Curric: AmeriCorps member, worked after college at a homeless shelter, on a farm, with migrant/seasonal farmworkers, and on a research study

1. 14 hours inpatient rehab
2. 15 hours neuro oupatient (still some in progress)
3. 15 hours sports outpatient
4. 12 hours pediatric

Applying: Drexel, Arcadia, MUSC, MGH Institute, Western Carolina, UVM, WashU
Interviews: Western Carolina University 12/7, Interview Waitlist Drexel
Acceptances:
Washington University in St. Louis 11/8, MGH-IHP, Arcadia (18K scholarship)
Waitlist: MUSC, Western Carolina University
Rejections:

UPDATE! Interviews

Undergraduate:
Western Michigan University | Bachelor of Science in Exercise Science
Overall/Cumulative GPA: 3.59
GRE: 150V 150Q 3.0W
LORs: 2 from PTs that I shadowed, 1 from undergraduate Exercise Science professor

Extracurriculars/Experiences: Recipient of a full athletic scholarship and Division I student-athlete (tennis) at Western Michigan University, Deans list for nearly all semesters of my undergraduate studies, Academic All-MAC honors, All-MAC Second Team honors, Mid-American Conference Player of the Week honors, Worked 80+ hours as a Certified Nursing Assistant, Dog-sitter through Rover for over 3 years, Adult and Pediatric First Aid/CPR/AED Certification through the American Red Cross

Volunteer: Volunteered at the Color Run, Volunteered at local downtown church for an entire weekend preparing and serving meals to the homeless and poor, Volunteered as a student-athlete at a local middle school

Observation Hours: 450 hours outpatient at sports medicine clinic with two different therapists. Consisted of a variety of patient populations and diagnoses such as: sports/athletics, geriatric, neurological, pediatric and orthopedic/musculoskeletal.
30 hours inpatient shadowing a physical therapist in an acute rehab unit at a hospital and saw a lot of the following: geriatrics, orthopedic/musculoskeletal, cardiovascular/pulmonary, integumentary (wound management).

Applied: Ohio State, Toledo, Ohio U, Walsh, Wheeling Jesuit, Marshall, West Virginia, Grand Valley State, Western Michigan, UIndy, Rosalind Franklin, Gannon (Erie), Thomas Jefferson, Temple, George Washington, MGHIHP, New England, South College, High Point, MUSC, Maryland (Baltimore), Midwestern (AZ)

Yes, I realize I applied to a ton of schools. This was my first time applying and I had pretty average GRE scores, so I wanted to give myself a better chance at being accepted.

Interviews: West Virginia University (1/5), Walsh University (1/18), Wheeling Jesuit University, Western Michigan University (2/11, but will likely turn down), South College
Acceptances: West Virginia University (1/12)!!!!! :)
Waitlist: UIndy
Rejections: Ohio State, Toledo, Ohio U, Marshall, Grand Valley State, Thomas Jefferson, Temple, MGHIHP, MUSC
Still waiting to hear back from: Rosalind Franklin, Gannon (Erie), George Washington, New England, High Point, Maryland (Baltimore), and Midwestern (AZ)

I am pretty young and this is my first time/cycle applying. I doubted myself from the very beginning just seeing other peoples’ stats, GRE scores, etc. I was so nervous that I would never get in anywhere, but I am so thankful that I did and I truly cannot believe it!!!! WVU was one of my top schools too, so I am ecstatic to have gotten in say the least! :)

I wish you all the best of luck! We can do this!

Last edited:
Undergraduate: Western Michigan University | Bachelor of Science in Exercise Science
Overall/Cumulative GPA: 3.59
GRE: 150V 150Q 3.0W
LORs: 2 from PTs that I shadowed, 1 from undergraduate Exercise Science professor

Extracurriculars/Experiences: Recipient of a full athletic scholarship and Division I student-athlete (tennis) at Western Michigan University, Deans list for nearly all semesters of my undergraduate studies, Academic All-MAC honors, All-MAC Second Team honors, Mid-American Conference Player of the Week honors, Worked 80+ hours as a Certified Nursing Assistant, Dog-sitter through Rover for over 3 years, Adult and Pediatric First Aid/CPR/AED Certification through the American Red Cross

Volunteer: Volunteered at the Color Run, Volunteered at local downtown church for an entire weekend preparing and serving meals to the homeless and poor, Volunteered as a student-athlete at a local middle school

Observation Hours: 450 hours outpatient at sports medicine clinic with two different therapists. Consisted of a variety of patient populations and diagnoses such as: sports/athletics, geriatric, neurological, pediatric and orthopedic/musculoskeletal.
30 hours inpatient shadowing a physical therapist in an acute rehab unit at a hospital and saw a lot of the following: geriatrics, orthopedic/musculoskeletal, cardiovascular/pulmonary, integumentary (wound management).

Applied: Ohio State, Toledo, Ohio U, Walsh, Wheeling Jesuit, Marshall, West Virginia, Grand Valley State, Western Michigan, UIndy, Rosalind Franklin, Gannon (Erie), Thomas Jefferson, Temple, George Washington, MGHIHP, New England, South College, High Point, MUSC, Maryland (Baltimore), Midwestern (AZ)

Yes, I realize I applied to a ton of schools. This was my first time applying and I had pretty average GRE scores, so I wanted to give myself a better chance at being accepted.

Interviews: West Virginia University (1/5), Walsh University (1/18), Western Michigan University (2/11)
Acceptances: West Virginia University (1/12)!!!!! :)
Waitlist: UIndy
Rejections: Ohio State, Toledo, Ohio U, Marshall, Grand Valley State, Thomas Jefferson, Temple, MGHIHP, MUSC
Still waiting to hear back from: Wheeling Jesuit, Rosalind Franklin, Gannon (Erie), George Washington, New England, South College, High Point, Maryland (Baltimore), and Midwestern (AZ)

I am pretty young and this is my first time/cycle applying. I doubted myself from the very beginning just seeing other peoples’ stats, GRE scores, etc. I was so nervous that I would never get in anywhere, but I am so thankful that I did and I truly cannot believe it!!!! WVU was one of my top schools too, so I am ecstatic to have gotten in say the least! :)

I wish you all the best of luck! We can do this!

wow this is so motivating. Sometimes i doubt myself a lot but seeing this gives me some kind of hope with all my extracurricular activities may help me.

UPDATE!

University :
Illinois State University
Major: Exercise Science
Pre-req GPA: 3.2-3.6
Post-Bacc: 3.57
GRE: 152 V, 154 Q, 3.5 W
Extra-curricular Activities:
1 year as Volunteer Coordinator for Exercise Science Club, 2 years ESC member, Independent study with Illinois Central College Women's basketball team, Men's DII Rugby athlete, 2 years as Personal Trainer, Pre-professional internship in Exercise Physiology Lab

~400 outpatient as exercise specialist
55 outpatient (shadow in 3 clinics)
70 inpatient (acute hospital)

Certification: CPR/AED/ First Aid

LORs: 1 PT, 1 professor, 1 exercise physiologist

Applying: Midwestern-Glendale & Downers Grove, St. Augustine (Austin, TX), Des Moines U, Creighton, Regis U, Franklin Pierce (NH), Rosalind Franklin U

Interviews: Midwestern-Glendale (12/21), St. Augustine (Austin) (12/7), Rosalind Franklin (1/5)
Wait-list: Creighton, Regis, Midwestern (Glendale) (1/8), Rosalind Franklin (1/11)
Acceptances: Franklin Pierce (12/14), St. Augustine-Fall 2019 (12/20)
Rejections:
DMU

Will be attending St. Augustine University in Austin, TX for Fall 2019!!!

Last edited:
You got this! I keep telling myself that everything happens for a reason -- I believe in you! :)

Thank you, I just worry about my undergrad GPA is really low because i didnt know what i wanted to do with my life. Do schools look at undergrad GPA or just mostly prereq. GPA?

UPDATE!

University :
Illinois State University
Major: Exercise Science
Pre-req GPA: 3.2-3.6
Post-Bacc: 3.57
GRE: 152 V, 154 Q, 3.5 W
Extra-curricular Activities:
1 year as Volunteer Coordinator for Exercise Science Club, 2 years ESC member, Independent study with Illinois Central College Women's basketball team, Men's DII Rugby athlete, 2 years as Personal Trainer, Pre-professional internship in Exercise Physiology Lab

~400 outpatient as exercise specialist
55 outpatient (shadow in 3 clinics)
70 inpatient (acute hospital)

Certification: CPR/AED/ First Aid

LORs: 1 PTs, 1 professor, 1 exercise physiologist

Applying: Midwestern-Glendale & Downers Grove, St. Augustine (Austin, TX), Des Moines U, Creighton, Regis U, Franklin Pierce (NH), Rosalind Franklin U

Interviews: Midwestern-Glendale (12/21), St. Augustine (Austin) (12/7), Rosalind Franklin (1/5)
Wait-list: Creighton, Regis, Midwestern (Glendale) (1/8), Rosalind Franklin (1/11)
Acceptances: Franklin Pierce (12/14), St. Augustine-Fall 2019 (12/20)
Rejections:
DMU

Will be attending St. Augustine University in Austin, TX for Fall 2019!!!

was this your first time applying?

University: University of Arizona
Major: Physiology
Overall GPA: 3.68
Pre-Req GPA: 3.4-3.6 ish (Depending)
GRE: 155Q 158V 4.0W

Extra-Curric: Division 1 Rugby-Volunteering with kids through the team (Big sisters/Big brothers) in Tucson. Kappa Alpha Order Fraternity Executive Board member as well as volunteer/community service coordinator for Muscular Dystrophy Association.

Volunteer: 75 Hours Outpatient

Applied: NYMC, Simmons, USciences, UNE, Springfield, George Washington, Vermont, High Point, MCPHS

Acceptances: Simmons Univeristy, USciences, Vermont

Rejections:

Interviews: UNE, High Point(declined), Usciences(1/8)

**P.S** I'll note that my freshman year I messed up and have a academic dishonesty infraction on my record that I had to disclose on my applications. Albeit the infraction was a small participation related problem, I didn't think I had any shot of getting in this cycle and was prepared for next cycle when the infraction is expunged from my record. If you have doubts about your application there is always hope! Have confidence in yourself!

Last edited:
Update
Overall GPA: 3.29
Pre-Req GPA: 3.4 - 3.6ish
GRE: 152 V 151 Q 4.0 W

Extra-Curric: personal trainer, home health aide, physical therapy aide, fundraisers, played rugby, president of powerlifting club, etc etc

1500 hours of paid outpatient, 25 hours of pediatric school setting, and 50 inpatient hospital

Applied to: NYU, LIU, CSI, Drexel, Thomas Jefferson, Stony Brook, NYIT, Seton Hall, Touro and Marist

Acceptances: Drexel, Stony Brook, LIU, Touro

Rejections: Thomas Jefferson

Waitlisted: NYIT, CSI

Interviews: NYIT (10/26), Stony Brook (11/30), Drexel (11/9), CSI (12/3), LIU (12/4), Marist (declined)

I'm basically choosing between drexel, stony brook and csi (if i get in). stony brook seems amazing but its the most expensive at $125k :(
csi is cheap at $40k but doesn't seem like anything special...

if anyone has info on CSI let me know! thanks & good luck

Hello,
Congratulations on your acceptance!I would be choose CSI. Check a student's loan calculator, and than
Stony Brook won't be amazing!!

Update

University: Texas A&M University

Major: Kinesiology; Psychology Minor

Overall: 3.20
Pre-req: 3.25 - 3.4
GRE: 150Q 154V 4.0

Extracurricular: Undergrad PT club VP, Group Leader - The Big Event - Nations Largest Student-lead Community Improvement Event, Volunteer - Special Olympics

Volunteer Hours: Inpatient (28), Outpatient (84)

LOR's: (1) PT (2) Prof's

Employment: Student Library Assistant, Counselor - After School Program.

Applied: Includes UTEP

Interview: St Augustine Austin (9/21/18), Angelo State (11/10), University of Mary(11/19/18 - declined), Marshall University (1/4/18)
Waitlist: Angelo State (11/27/18)
Denied:
Accepted:
St Augustine Austin Spring 2019 (10/1/18), Southwest Baptist University (11/1/18 declined), Angelo State (1/16/19) Accepted (off wait list)

Last edited:
Posting this to encourage those who don't have a lot of shadowing hours...I only had about 70 hours and still got in so don't feel like you're unqualified if you don't have hundreds of hours! Good luck!!

University:
UConn
Overall GPA: 3.7
Pre-Req GPA: 3.6 - 3.7 (depending on school)
GRE: 152Q 154V 4.0

LOR: 1 PT, 2 Professors

Volunteer: 2 outpatient clinics, 70 hours total

Applied (7): UVM, URI, Simmons, UNE, Springfield College, BU, Husson
Interviews: URI, UNE
Acceptances: URI, Simmons, UNE, Springfield College
Waitlist:
Rejections: BU

New poster! I have been following this forum for a while now and figured I would post my stats. I'm an older-ish (26) non-traditional student who is making the career change to PT.

University: Ouachita Baptist University
Masters Degree: California University of Pennsylvania
Major: Masters of Science in Exercise Science
Pre-req GPA: 4.0 (2 classes remaining)
GRE: 148Q, 151V, 4.0 writing

LOR: 2 PTs, 1 Chemistry Professor

Volunteer: 100 outpatient, 16 inpatient (hospital), 20 pediatric (outpatient/school)

Extracurriculars: 4 year student athlete on the women's soccer team, Kinesiology Club, Special Olympics volunteer and I volunteer at church. Since graduating I worked as a personal trainer for 2 years, a Lab Manager Assistant in a chemistry lab part-time while I took pre-reqs, and I am currently a teaching assistant in a developmental preschool in an ASD classroom.

Applied: University of Central Arkansas, Harding University, Southwest Baptist University
Interviews: University of Central Arkansas(12/7), Harding University(11/16)
Acceptances: Harding University(12/3 - will be attending!)
Waitlist: University of Central Arkansas
Denied: N/A

So excited to post in here! Wanted to share my stats esp for those who don't have a lot of shadowing hours like me!

University:
UNC Chapel Hill
Major: Exercise and Sports Science
Overall GPA: 3.71
Pre-Req GPA: 3.85
GRE: 159Q 156V 4.0

LOR: 2 PTs from the inpatient clinic I worked at for a year, my boss/community director, 1 professor that I do my research with

Volunteer: 1 inpatient clinic, 3 outpatient clinics 120 hours total

Extra Curriculars - Working for my 3rd year as an RA at UNC, heavily involved in the department of housing, research student/volunteer for 3 years and working on an individual research project

Applied (5): Duke, Elon, USC Columbia, Western Carolina, Winston-Salem State
Interviews: Duke(ED), Elon, Western Carolina
Acceptances: Elon, USC Columbia, Western Carolina
Waitlist:
Rejections: Duke

Still waiting on Winston Salem State, but I am super excited to make my decision!!

So excited to post in here! Wanted to share my stats esp for those who don't have a lot of shadowing hours like me!

University:
UNC Chapel Hill
Major: Exercise and Sports Science
Overall GPA: 3.71
Pre-Req GPA: 3.85
GRE: 159Q 156V 4.0

LOR: 2 PTs from the inpatient clinic I worked at for a year, my boss/community director, 1 professor that I do my research with

Volunteer: 1 inpatient clinic, 3 outpatient clinics 120 hours total

Extra Curriculars - Working for my 3rd year as an RA at UNC, heavily involved in the department of housing, research student/volunteer for 3 years and working on an individual research project

Applied (5): Duke, Elon, USC Columbia, Western Carolina, Winston-Salem State
Interviews: Duke(ED), Elon, Western Carolina
Acceptances: Elon, USC Columbia, Western Carolina
Waitlist:
Rejections:
Duke

Still waiting on Winston Salem State, but I am super excited to make my decision!!

When did you interview at western Carolina?

University: University of Washington
Major: Physiology
Minor: Nutrition
Overall GPA: 3.72
Pre-req GPA: 3.67
GRE: 161Q, 163V, 4.0 writing

LOR: 2 PTs, 1 Prof, 1 Volunteering Supervisor

Volunteer: 2000 outpatient, 6 inpatient (hospital), 5 aquatic, 25 SNF, 5 inpatient w/ PA, 5 shadowing orthopedic surgeon

Extracurriculars: Volunteer yoga instructor, volunteer basketball coach. Volunteer in-home trainer for client with CP. I conducted independent research through my university and presented at the Undergrad Research Symposium.
Applied: U of Washington, Eastern Washington U, Pacific U, George Fox U, Rocky Mountain U of Health Professionals, Regis U, UNLV
Interviews: Pacific U (Declined), Rocky Mountain U (1/11), Regis U (Declined), UNLV (Declined)
Acceptances: Eastern Washington U, Rocky Mountain U
Waitlist: George Fox
Denied: N/A

Waiting on UW