GPA's, GRE's, XTRA's, ACCEPTANCES

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hi guys! Is anyone applying to Kean University in Union, NJ?

Members don't see this ad.

We have similar stats and AT Still is my first choice.. I haven’t heard back and submitted my secondary about 2 weeks ago. When did you apply and hear back?
We

Applied on 9/25 and got verified 10/4 and got an interview invite 10/27. Stoked and nervous at the same time!! You should be hearing back from them soon!! Where else have you applied to?

Stats are really not as important as people make it seem. ATSU made it clear that they mark points based on personal statement strength and LOR strength. Just make sure your grade trend is going uphill. They called me out on my terrible sophomore year and praised me on how I finished undergrad.

My app was verified 9/7/18, probably sent my secondary the same day and heard back for an interview on 10/3/18.

Congrats!! How did the interview go?? Any pointers?

Members don't see this ad :)
Applied on 9/25 and got verified 10/4 and got an interview invite 10/27. Stoked and nervous at the same time!! You should be hearing back from them soon!! Where else have you applied to?
Good luck!!!! I hope so. And I’ve applied to Sage, thinking about seton hall, but that’s really it so far. I haven’t taken the gre

Does anyone who applied to Washington University in STL have any idea when we may hear back from them? I know there is no interview, so I was curious when they start accepting students.

Can anyone tell me what they used to study for the GRE. I’m retaking mine at the end of this month and would like to raise my score by at least 4 points minimally, but I’d like more! More so for the verbal/quantitative sections!

Thanks in advance!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Can anyone tell me what they used to study for the GRE. I’m retaking mine at the end of this month and would like to raise my score by at least 4 points minimally, but I’d like more! More so for the verbal/quantitative sections!

Thanks in advance!

I took the in person Kaplan classes, they are pricey but really helped me! I got a 150V 140Q 4 AWA. My concern was math, but I am never going to be good at math. They taught tips, tricks and strategies and it helped by being in a classroom.

Reactions: 1 user

Thanks in advance!

I also took a Kaplan class, but online! The instructors are really good and make sure you stay engaged. They also give you so many resources, so it was definitely worth the price! I actually enjoyed "going" to class, the instructors were that good. I got a 157V 154Q 4.5AW!

Hey everyone! Anyone know what my chances are/what schools give good scholarships?

University: Brandeis University
Major: Neuroscience
Overall GPA: ~3.9
Pre-req GPA: 4.0
GRE: 165Q/ 160V/ 5W

Applied: NYU, Kean, Seton Hall, Tufts, MGH, Thomas Jefferson, UNE, Sacred Heart

I don't know much about all the schools you applied to except MGH, they do merit scholarships and based on your GPA and amazing GRE scores I can see them offering you one. If you haven't decided on TUFTS and attend MGH interview I think you may like the program while it is newer than the rest I really did enjoy interviewing there and would have chosen that school if I had received a scholarship. Best of luck!

Thanks in advance!

I used Magoosh. If you don't mind online programs versus the physical books to study I think it is one of the best GRE study tools. It is easy to follow and shows you your progress and what areas you need to work on. There are also mock exams you could take however if you're not scoring as well as you would like don't feel discouraged as I would usually score 4-5 points lower than what I actually made on the exam. They also have a free app for vocab but I didn't like that as much as the actual website.

University: Stony Brook University
Major: Psychology
Overall GPA: 3.42
Pre-Req GPA: Different for every school but Downstate calculated it to be 3.83
GRE: Didnt take it!

Extra-Curric: Volunteered at a local animal shelter for 25 hours, helped build a school for underprivileged children in Honduras for a week, was a research assistant for a semester in a psychology lab on campus

Volunteer: 24 hours volunteering in an outpatient OT clinic, 20 hours volunteering in a hand therapy clinic, 36 hours volunteering in a SNF (80 total observation hours)

Applied: Stonybrook University, Downstate University, NYIT, Hofstra, D'Youville, Gwynedd Mercy University, Stockton University

Acceptances: NYIT!

Rejections: N/A

Interviews: NYIT (accepted), Hofstra

I wanted to make this post because this forum has helped me so much with the application process and OT in general. Just wanted to share and give back to the community here! :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey Guys here are my stats!

GPA: 3.39 (after this semester it will be 3.47)
GRE: (TERRIBLE!) v147 q144 , 4.0

I am only applying to USC, and I really have no hope in getting accepted, but I extremely want to.

what do you guys think?

and I have a question, I am turning in my application this month, if I take my GRE anytime after and send it to USC, will they consider my new score?

Thanks guys! :nailbiting::nailbiting:

Hey Guys here are my stats!

GPA: 3.39 (after this semester it will be 3.47)
GRE: (TERRIBLE!) v147 q144 , 4.0

I am only applying to USC, and I really have no hope in getting accepted, but I extremely want to.

what do you guys think?

and I have a question, I am turning in my application this month, if I take my GRE anytime after and send it to USC, will they consider my new score?

Thanks guys! :nailbiting::nailbiting:

I would highly advise you to apply to more than one school. If your new GRE score gets to them before they rank their candidates they will consider it, if not I doubt it.

I would highly advise you to apply to more than one school. If your new GRE score gets to them before they rank their candidates they will consider it, if not I doubt it.

USC is the only school I want. :(

USC is the only school I want. :(

I totally understand that. My first time I applied, I only applied to “the school I wanted”, and then I didn’t get in. I was super bummed out. Then I realized that being in OT school anywhere was more important than staying in my hometown where I’m comfortable. When I applied my gpa was a 3.67, and I didn’t even get an interview, then last year I finally got an interview and then didn’t get selected.

Do whatever you want! It’s your education. But don’t bank on getting in to your first choice school. This is an extremely competitive field, with excellent candidates.

Reactions: 3 users
Has anyone heard about an interview for Chatham yet? I applied there and have not heard anything yet!

Has anyone heard about an interview for Chatham yet? I applied there and have not heard anything yet!

They reached out to me on 10/12 but I just declined the interview so hopefully someone gets an invite soon!

What are your stats like?!

UCSD - Human Development/Psychology
GPA: 3.4 (graduated with a 2.9, postbacc brought me up to a 3.4 - I literally tried pulling my GPA out from the grave lmao)
PrereqGPA: 3.7 - 4.0
GRE: VQ- 300, A- 5.5
Observations: ~260 (spinal cord injury, skilled nursing facility, hand therapy, ped, outpatient rehab)
Extra-Curr/Other: +1000 service hours throughout SD, 40 hours human dev research in first grade class
LOR: Research Prof from undergrad, 2 OTs, Anatomy Instructor
Work experience: Lead Behavior Therapist, Behavior Interventionist (1.5 years), Teacher - mainly Montessori (1 year), Student Lead - on campus dining (1 year)

I also had so many ppl revise my PS bcus I knew my GPA and VQ scores weren’t as competitive as others out there!

UCSD - Human Development/Psychology
GPA: 3.4 (graduated with a 2.9, postbacc brought me up to a 3.4 - I literally tried pulling my GPA out from the grave lmao)
PrereqGPA: 3.7 - 4.0
GRE: VQ- 300, A- 5.5
Observations: ~260 (spinal cord injury, skilled nursing facility, hand therapy, ped, outpatient rehab)
Extra-Curr/Other: +1000 service hours throughout SD, 40 hours human dev research in first grade class
LOR: Research Prof from undergrad, 2 OTs, Anatomy Instructor
Work experience: Lead Behavior Therapist, Behavior Interventionist (1.5 years), Teacher - mainly Montessori (1 year), Student Lead - on campus dining (1 year)

I also had so many ppl revise my PS bcus I knew my GPA and VQ scores weren’t as competitive as others out there!

Wow! I just gotta say, you did a great job resurrecting your GPA! Hope you get in!

I have officially applied to 6 programs via OTCAS. Here are my stats:
Applying to: TWU, UTMB, UTEP, TTech, ACU, ATSU
Major: Psychology Minor: Medicine and Society
Overall GPA: 3.58
Prerequisite GPA: 3.88-4.0 depending on program
GRE: 150V, 150Q, 4.0AW
Observation hours: 31 home health pediatrics, 34 inpatient brain injury rehabilitation
Volunteer: Children's Hospital Volunteer (30hours), Equestrian therapy (30 hours)
Work: Therapeutic recreation assistant at an adaptive recreation center exclusively serving individuals with disabilities
5 LORs: 1OT, 1 Cota, 2 Recreation therapists (my bosses), 1 A&P Professor

This is such an exciting, yet nerve-wracking process! I will keep you guys posted in regards to interview processes and possible acceptances!

UPDATE: I received an email this morning notifying me that I was accepted into the Texas Tech program!!

Reactions: 1 users
Just heard I was accepted to Washington University’s MSOT program! Has anyone else been accepted there?

University: University of South Carolina
Major: Public Health
Overall GPA: 3.61
OTCAS GPA: 3.47
Pre-Req GPA: 3.6-3.8 depending on school
GRE: 156 V, 148 Q, 4.0 Writing

Extra-Curric:
USC Marching Band - 4 years with leadership experience
Best Buddies - 2 years
-Foster one-to-one friendships with peers on campus or in the community with intellectual or developmental disabilities.
Dream Outside the Box- 1.5 years
-Educate the local youth about higher education options and future possible careers.

Work Experience:
1.5 years as a Recreation Assistant in an assisted living facility working with older adults and residents in the memory care unit.

Volunteer:
12 hours in a Geriatric Skilled Nursing Facility
31 hours in Pediatrics

Applied: MUSC, Brenau, Wingate, Univ. of Oklahoma, Univ. of Florida, Stanbridge

Acceptances:

Rejections:

Interviews:

Looking for feedback!

Hi you have pretty solid stats but the one thing I would do is maybe take the GRE again to raise your qualitative score. I know with UF you need a minimum 152 for that section and many schools have a similar requirement as well. Some schools may not even look at your application if you do not meet the minimum requirements

University: Virginia Tech
Major: Human Development (Minors: Psychology and Medicine & Society)
Overall GPA: 3.67 (OTCAS Verified)
Pre-Req GPA: 3.81
GRE: Verbal - 155; Quantitative - 150; Writing - 4.0

Extra-Curric: Ultimate Frisbee, Food Justice, Students for Sustainable Practice, VTU

Volunteer: Field Study with Adult Day Services (290 Hours)
Shadowing at: Peds - 28 Hours; Skilled Nursing Facility - 18 Hours; Hospital - 7 Hours
Research: ~200 Hours with an HD professor

Applied to:... VCU

Acceptances:

Rejections:

**I've heard a lot of things about GREs, so I'm nervous my scores aren't good enough. I really didn't want to retake it though. Also, I definitely did not shadow 100+ hours like I've seen a lot of people have!! Is anyone else applying to VCU and heard back about anything? I got an email today that my application is now in the review pile.

@capegstudent @future_OT_to_be Congrats on your acceptances! How did you decide to accept the offer? I was also accepted to WashU (OTD) and it sounds like a great program, but I am apprehensive about the cost of tuition.

Last edited:
@capegstudent @future_OT_to_be Congrats on your acceptances! How did you decide to accept the offer? I was also accepted to WashU (OTD) and it sounds like a great program, but I am apprehensive about the cost of tuition.
Congratulations!! For me, Wash U is the closest to my home (only 35 minute drive) so it is very convenient. It is also the #1 OT program in the nation, so convenience and the quality of the school makes up for the price in my opinion. Wash U also allows MSOT and OTD students to switch between the masters and the doctorate degree at the end of the first year. I have been contemplating between the MSOT or OTD, and this program gives me the option to decide which is best for me later on. Because it is such an accomplishment to be accepted to one of the most competitive and top schools in the nation, I think I would regret turning down the opportunity. If you are questioning though, I would highly recommend visiting the program if you can, or I think they do online tours as well!

University: Rutgers University NB
Major: Exercise Science (Minor in Psychology)
Overall GPA: 3.58
Pre-req GPA: ~3.93
GRE: 158Q/ 153V/ 4.5W

Applying: Columbia, NYU, Kean, Thomas Jefferson, Temple
Observations: 130 in Acute Care, ~270 outpatient
Extra-Curr/Other: President of a fitness club on campus, involvement in multiple cultural clubs, volunteer organization, worked in campus gym
LOR: Prof from undergrad, 1 OTs, and former employer

What are my chances :)!?

@aliafrat
Congratulations!! For me, Wash U is the closest to my home (only 35 minute drive) so it is very convenient. It is also the #1 OT program in the nation, so convenience and the quality of the school makes up for the price in my opinion. Wash U also allows MSOT and OTD students to switch between the masters and the doctorate degree at the end of the first year. I have been contemplating between the MSOT or OTD, and this program gives me the option to decide which is best for me later on. Because it is such an accomplishment to be accepted to one of the most competitive and top schools in the nation, I think I would regret turning down the opportunity. If you are questioning though, I would highly recommend visiting the program if you can, or I think they do online tours as well!
WashU is also about 30 minutes from my parents' house so it is convenient for me as well. However, I agree with what @capegstudent said about the program's ranking. It is a highly competitive program and that comes at a price. I'd encourage you to weigh the cost of tuition versus the benefits down the road. Everyone has their own priorities so just think about what's important to you :) I also recommend a tour if possible, as you get to see the facilities and meet with students who can maybe help you better answer the questions relating to cost of tuition. Congrats to both of you on your acceptances!

@aliafrat

WashU is also about 30 minutes from my parents' house so it is convenient for me as well. However, I agree with what @capegstudent said about the program's ranking. It is a highly competitive program and that comes at a price. I'd encourage you to weigh the cost of tuition versus the benefits down the road. Everyone has their own priorities so just think about what's important to you :) I also recommend a tour if possible, as you get to see the facilities and meet with students who can maybe help you better answer the questions relating to cost of tuition. Congrats to both of you on your acceptances!
Does anyone know how much annual tuition is for Wash U's program??

Does anyone know how much annual tuition is for Wash U's program??
I'm not sure how it breaks up annually, but it's about 130K for the OTD program and I think just under 100K for the masters.

Does texas tech notify you about interviews via email or through letter? I am also wondering if the class is full by now since I have seen some people list that they have been accepted or invited for interviews. I was told over email that they still have my application and would be notified of interview decisions once they are done reviewing my app.

Congratulations on Tufts! I have my TJU interview in January; how was it? I'm not sure if I should follow through with it if I get accepted to other schools before then, but yeah.
Good luck at the interview! I liked TJU and the interview experience was pretty nice! My only issue was that it seemed very hospital oriented and I wasn't so keen on living in the city.

Hi! I am currently a third year in college and was wondering if my stats were looking good to apply for OT school next fall? I am worried schools may look at me as too young.
Major: Double in Public Health & Education
Overall GPA: 3.75
Pre-Req GPA: 3.8
GRE: currently studying, will take soon
Extra-Curric:
  • Recruitment chair of sorority
  • Academic advisor
  • working at fitness center in student housing
  • Pre-OT club
  • Research on autism in students and developing the most effective individualized education plan
  • youth ministry leader
  • dance coordinator for youth ministry
Volunteer:
  • Psychology intern for after school childrens club 120 hours
  • 100 hours volunteering at pediatric therapy clinic (hands-on, instructing kids on social skills)
  • 100 hours shadowing OT in senior nursing center
Top Schools (hopefully): Loma Linda, USC, Virginia Commonwealth, Temple, NYU,
Do I have a strong chance to get in? What should I work on?
Your stats look goods, as do your extra-curriculars and observation hours. Don't worry about your age. I was recently accepted into Midwestern's OT program (IL). I was 18 years old at the time of the interview, and I turned 19 just recently and will be 19 when I start OT school.

Has anyone heart from PITT yet?
I heard back from them on November 13 (accepted)! I'm pretty sure they do a rolling admissions process though, and I submitted apps in mid-October. I hope you hear back soon if you haven't yet!

University: Stony Brook University
Major: Psychology
Overall GPA: 3.42
Pre-Req GPA: Different for every school but Downstate calculated it to be 3.83
GRE: Didnt take it!

Extra-Curric: Volunteered at a local animal shelter for 25 hours, helped build a school for underprivileged children in Honduras for a week, was a research assistant for a semester in a psychology lab on campus

Volunteer: 24 hours volunteering in an outpatient OT clinic, 20 hours volunteering in a hand therapy clinic, 36 hours volunteering in a SNF (80 total observation hours)

Applied: Stonybrook University, Downstate University, NYIT, Hofstra, D'Youville, Gwynedd Mercy University, Stockton University

Acceptances: NYIT!

Rejections: N/A

Interviews: NYIT (accepted), Hofstra

I wanted to make this post because this forum has helped me so much with the application process and OT in general. Just wanted to share and give back to the community here! :)

Hi, I applied and interviewed for Hofstra, have you heard back?

Your stats look goods, as do your extra-curriculars and observation hours. Don't worry about your age. I was recently accepted into Midwestern's OT program (IL). I was 18 years old at the time of the interview, and I turned 19 just recently and will be 19 when I start OT school.
19 when you start OT school? Does Midwestern not require some sort of Bachelor's degree to enroll in their program? I am just confused about how you are so young if you don't mind me asking.

Does texas tech notify you about interviews via email or through letter? I am also wondering if the class is full by now since I have seen some people list that they have been accepted or invited for interviews. I was told over email that they still have my application and would be notified of interview decisions once they are done reviewing my app.

I was notified via email about an interview. I have not heard back and I interviewed Nov 16th. I know they are doing multiple interviews and accept people as late as the day before class starts. If you are anxious or if its been awhile you could contact admissions. They are all very nice.