GPA's, GRE's, XTRA's, ACCEPTANCES

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
**UPDATED 2/28/19**

Concordia University St. Paul
Major: Health and Physical Education
Overall GPA: 3.12
Last 60 - 3.77
Pre-Req GPA: 3.91
GRE: 307 Writing 4.5

Extra-Curric: Pre-Therapy Student Association, Honors Society, Inter-varsity Lead Team, Social Justice Committee President, Track team captain (senior year), Tennis team captain (senior year), Drumline, Marching band, Cross-country, Student council

Work experience - Middle school health and physical education teacher, Personal Care Assistant for special needs kids, Junior High tennis coach, Community Education Tennis coach, Homeschool teacher, Math tutor, Nanny, Barista

Awards - Deans List x4, Student of the Year in Health and Physical Education (2013/2014)

Volunteer: 160 hours - pediatric, hospital, SNF, IP/OP OT settings, 30 hours Special Olympics, worship team member at local church, Sunday school teacher,

Applied: St. Catherine University, Brenau University, Gannon University, FGCU, Methodist University, Midwestern University, FIU, Barry, Concordia University Wisconsin, Huntington University

Interviews: FGCU (2/8), FIU (2/16), Methodist (2/19) declined, Huntington (3/1) declined, Gannon University (3/29) declined, Barry (3/24) declined

Rejections: Brenau (2/5) St. Catherine (3/10)

Acceptances: Concordia University Wisconsin (2/5), FGCU (2/15), FIU (2/22)

ATTENDING: FGCU Class of 2021!!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
University: BMCC (AA), Hunter College (BA 2014), LaGuardia CC (Post-Bacc)
Major: Film
Overall GPA: OTCAS 3.45
Pre-Req GPA: 3.7 - 3.9
GRE: Didn't take

Extra-Curric: Chinese Christian Fellowship (Vice Pres'13 & Secretary '12), Panel Speaker for Language as Social Justice Conference ('17)

Work Exp: A&P Tutor (2 yrs) Media Prod Team (5 mos) Swimming instructor (2 yrs), After-school tutor (3 yrs), Freelance photographer/videographer

LOR: 1 OT & 2 Professors

Volunteer: 50 hrs Outpatient Peds/Adult, 58 hrs SNF, Sunday School Teacher & other roles at church, (8 yrs), Videographer at Christian Camp (3 yrs), Soup Kitchen (1 yr), Art/music therapy assistant for peds w/ special needs (2 mos)

Applied: D'youville, Clarkson, LIU, Columbia, NYU, Mercy ('18 cycle)
Acceptances: D'youville (2/21), Clarkson (1/31)
Rejections: Mercy ('18 cycle), Columbia (3/1)
Waitlist: LIU, NYU

Last edited:
University: Florida A&M
Major: Occupation and Wellness
Overall GPA: 3.2
Pre-Req GPA: 2.9ish
GRE: 292
Volunteer hours: 40
Applied: FAMU, FGCU, FIU
Accepted: FAMU

I have been reading various articles on this website and I am very honored to be able to post my acceptance. Do not be discouraged because admissions criteria varies. My GPA is not in the same hemisphere as many ppl I see posting on this site. If you are dedicated and have a genuine passion for OT you will be admitted, assuming you are within reach of the req. of the program. I , like every prospective OT student, spent time stressing about getting into school. My best advice to everyone is to remain calm and continue to pursue your dream to the best of your ability. Remain dedicated and I guarantee you will ultimately be accepted. I wish you all the best of luck and I will continue to visit this site to offer any advice I can. #MSOTFall2014
I just got accepted into FAMU and I was wondering if you have any pros and cons about the MSOT program ?

Members don't see this ad :)
Wanted to give everyone any update!

University: Florida A&M University
Major: Pre-occupational therapy
Overall GPA: 3.1 (3.02 overall according to OTCAS)
Last 60 GPA: 3.4
Pre-Req GPA: 3.1-3.5 depending on school
GRE: V:143 Q:143 W:4

Extra-Curric: National Counsel of negro women, big sister little sister, campus actives board

Volunteer: 57 hours skilled nursing, 27 hours outpatient, 20 hours inpatient, Goodwill, The arc Jacksonville

Applying: Texas Tech University, Texas Womens University, Brenau University, Chatham University, University of Sciences, Nova Southeastern University, Winston-Salem University, American International University Florida Gulf Coast University, Howard University

Rejections: Texas Tech, Brenau, Chatham, University of Sciences, Winston-Salem, Florida Gulf Coast

Waitlisted: Texas Womens, Nova

Interviews: Texas Womens, Nova, Howard

Acceptances: American International College, Nova, Howard

Attending: HOWARD!

I had a low low GRE but it is possible to get in with lower stats!

Hello,
I just got accepted into Howard for fall 2019, do you have any feedback on how the program is going ?

University: Molloy College
Major: Psychology
Overall GPA: 3.15
Last 60 GPA: 3.44
Pre-Req GPA: 3.11
GRE: did not take

Extra-Curric: Hospital PEACE volunteer for neuro rehab patients (1 year), high school student mentor (4 months)

Volunteer: 120 hours outpatient clinic, 40 hours nursing home

Applying: Hofstra University, Clarkson University, Stony Brook University, Touro College

Rejections: Hofstra University

Waitlisted: Touro College

Interviews: Stony Brook University

Accepted: Clarkson Univeristy, Stony Brook Univeristy

Attending: Stony Brook University!!

Reactions: 1 user
Are you hoping to come off the MUSC waitlist? Just wondering why you declined a school that accepted you.

Update 3/7/2019
University: University of South Carolina
Major: Public Health
Overall GPA: 3.61
OTCAS GPA: 3.47
Pre-Req GPA: 3.6-3.8 depending on school
GRE: 156 V, 148 Q, 4.0 Writing

Extra-Curric:
USC Marching Band - 4 years with leadership experience
Best Buddies - 2 years
-Foster one-to-one friendships with peers on campus or in the community with intellectual or developmental disabilities.
Dream Outside the Box- 1.5 years
-Educate the local youth about higher education options and future possible careers.

Work Experience:
1.5 years as a Recreation Assistant in an assisted living facility working with older adults and residents in the memory care unit.

Volunteer:
12 hours in a Geriatric Skilled Nursing Facility
31 hours in Pediatrics

Applied: MUSC, Brenau, Wingate, Univ. of Oklahoma, Univ. of Florida, Stanbridge

Acceptances: Stanbridge (declined offer)

Waitlist: MUSC (2/21)

Rejections: Univ. of Florida (3/6)

Interviews: MUSC (2/1) Stanbridge (2/15) Brenau (3/4)
Are

Are you hoping to come off the MUSC waitlist? Just wondering why you declined a school that accepted you.

Are
The school I declined is in California and I live on the east coast and after I visited I knew I didn’t want to move all the way out there even if it meant having to apply again next year. I am hoping to get off the MUSC waitlist but I still have a few other schools to hear back from as well.

Anyone heard from Brenau?

At my interview on March 4th they said it was going to take 3-4 weeks for everyone to hear back. I’m not sure if she just meant the people who had interview that specific day or not though

Members don't see this ad :)
At my interview on March 4th they said it was going to take 3-4 weeks for everyone to hear back. I’m not sure if she just meant the people who had interview that specific day or not though
Ugh!! That’s such a long time to wait for everyone lol

That’s so long!! I interviewed in November

Major: Philosophy and Psychology
Undergraduate GPA: 3.4
Pre-Req GPA: 3.8-4.0
GRE: Q 158 V 158 AW 4.0

Extra-Curric: Student government (elections committee chair), honor fraternity (secretary and webmaster), volunteer at elementary school for 200+ hours, after school center english and math tutor
Observation hours: 190 hand clinic outpatient, 160 pediatric outpatient, 45 neuro outpatient, 65 inpatient care
References: 2 OTs (1 from peds, 1 from hand clinic), 1 professor, 1 student government advisor
Applied: Indiana Weslyean University, Salus, Clarkson, Brenau, Le Moyne,
Interview: Salus, Breanu
Acceptances: Clarkson

University: Concordia University Texas
Major: Psychology, Minor- Kinesiology
Overall GPA: 3.93
Pre-Req GPA: 4.0
GRE: None

Extra-Curric: Co-founder of Universities Veteran organization, Academic Tutor for 10 courses, Army Medic 4 years, Undergrad Researcher, Deans List recipient (2016, 2017, 2018), 2x Honors Convocation Awardee, Leadership & Dean's list Scholarships (2016, 2017, 2018) Major writing Portfolio, Psi Chi Honor Society, Alpha Chi Honor Society

Volunteer: Inside Books, Self 2 Independence, 100 hours shadowing. 50 Peds, 50 hand therapy

Acceptances: NYU

Rejections: Waitlist Abilene Christian University

Interviews: None

Stilllll nothing from Brenau. I am losing my sanity:dead:

University: Ohio Wesleyan University (+ some prerequisites at community college)
Major: Bachelor of Fine Arts
Overall GPA: 3.88
Pre-Req GPA: Ranging from 3.94 to 4.0 depending on the school
GRE: V: 160 | Q: 167 | AW: 4.0

Extra-Curricular: College lacrosse & Interfaith House Member

Work Experiences: I have been a nanny for 2 years. My past experience is very diverse, I tried out a lot of different things before finding OT and I explained this in my personal statement. (This included art internships, nonprofit work, and physical labor.)

Shadowing:
-
52 hours at an outpatient pediatric clinic
- 32 hours at an inpatient rehabilitation clinic (geriatrics)
- 4 hours at an elementary school

Essay: I wrote about my spunky little sister who is on the spectrum and my own dyslexia & ADHD. For anyone struggling with how to format their essay in an interesting way, I found these med school essays really helpful
https://www.usnews.com/education/be...-school-essays-that-admissions-officers-loved
Medical School Personal Statement Samples

Applied: University of Puget Sound, University of Washington, Eastern Washington University, Pacific University, Dominican University of California, Colorado State University, Ohio State University, Rush University, St. Catherine University (not by early admission), College of St. Scholastica

Interviews: Ohio state (12/8), Rush (12/14), Dominican (2/8), Pacific (2/9), EWU (phone 2/11)

Acceptances: Ohio State (1/30), Rush (2/5), Scholastica (2/8), UPS (2/14), Dominican (2/15), EWU (2/21), Pacific (3/1), UW (3/7)

Rejections: St. Catherine (by mail 3/5) & Colorado State (3/14)

Attending: Currently trying to decide between UPS, EWU, and UW.

Reactions: 2 users
Last school I am waiting on is Columbia. Is anyone else waiting on them or do you know when the latest we will hear back by is?

Very confused about which school to choose: looking for advice
I am accepted to Towson OTD- Towson has old reputation and connections
and University of St. Augustine OTD Miami campus- which has new facility; new state of the art tech etc.....
Any advice as to which is the better decision?

Major: Philosophy and Psychology
Undergraduate GPA: 3.4
Pre-Req GPA: 3.8-4.0
GRE: Q 158 V 158 AW 4.0

Extra-Curric: Student government (elections committee chair), honor fraternity (secretary and webmaster), volunteer at elementary school for 200+ hours, after school center english and math tutor
Observation hours: 190 hand clinic outpatient, 160 pediatric outpatient, 45 neuro outpatient, 65 inpatient care
References: 2 OTs (1 from peds, 1 from hand clinic), 1 professor, 1 student government advisor
Applied: Indiana Weslyean University, Salus, Clarkson, Brenau, Le Moyne,
Interview: Salus, Breanu
Acceptances: Clarkson

Update:
Interview:
Salus, Breanu, Le Moyne, IWU (declined)
Acceptances: Clarkson, Le Moyne, Salus

I applied really late in the cycle (submitted end of February and was verified 3/1) and got a few acceptances, so for those who are in the same boat don't give up hope!

Major: Exercise and Movement science (ug) health and exercise science (masters)
Undergraduate GPA: 3.85
Pre-Req GPA: 3.75
GRE: Q 152 V 150 AW 4.5

Extra-Curric: Volunteer at ELL, ASL Club, Exercise as medicine club, exercise for psychiatric people, volunteer at hospital, oxfam, asb

Observation hours: 250+: snf, long term care, out patient, peds, hand clinic
References: 1 OTs, 1 professor, 1 advisor
Applied: BU, MCPHS, tufts, Springfield college, wash u, CSU, Uw-Madison, Ithaca college
Interview: BU
Acceptances: accepted to all, yet to hear from Tufts
Update: put deposit down at Springfield and BU

This was round 2 for me and I decided I was going to move on with my life if I didn't get accepted this year but I was. :joyful:! I'm so relieved this part of my life is over. I hope my statistically average scores are a source of encouragement to those in doubt.

Undergraduate: UC Irvine
Degree: Sociology and Public Health Science
Cumulative GPA: 3.25
Prerequisite GPA: 4.0
GRE: 150Q 153V 4.0AW

Work Experience:
5 years Administrative Assistant/ Customer Service

Volunteer/Extracurriculars:
3 years American Red Cross
2 years Serve Ministry
1 year Youth Ministry

Observation experience (total- 222+ hours):
102 hours outpatient at a rehab hospital
120+ hours private pediatric clinic

References:
1 Physiology professor
2 Occupational therapists (adult rehab & pediatric)
1 American Red Cross supervisor

Applied: CSUDH, Loma Linda University, Stanbridge University, West Coast University, USC
Interviews: Loma Linda University (11/6/18), Stanbridge University (12/14/18)
Admitted: Stanbridge University (12/21/18, accepted), Loma Linda University (1/18/19, declined)

University: University of California, Davis
Major: Economics (2009)
Overall GPA: OTCAS 2.76 (low GPA alert for those worried about that!)
Last 60 credits GPA: 3.8
Pre-Req GPA: 3.8-4.0 (depending on the school)
GRE: 155V, 150Q, 4.5W

Work: Personal Fitness Trainer (8 years)

Observation/Volunteer hours: 120 hours Hospital, 40 hours PEDS, 40 hours community health workshop volunteer

LOR: OTR/L from Keck, Psych prof, former manager

Applied to: SJSU, Pacific U, Columbia, SUNY Downstate, TJU

Acceptances: SJSU (will be attending)

Rejections: TJU, Pacific U, Columbia

Interviews: None (oddly, never heard back from SUNY)

For anyone who is over 30 and/or has a low overall GPA, there is hope if you worked hard on your applications and applied with a certain strategy in mind. If you are in that boat, don't hesitate to PM me and I'll do my best to help :)
congrats on the gre scores. How did you prepare?

congrats on the gre scores. How did you prepare?

I used Magoosh. Oddly enough, I was getting somewhere between 155-160 on quant and 148-153 on verbal for the practice tests I took. For AWA, I suggest googling "how to get a 6.0 AWA". You'll get some GMAT threads but they're pretty much the same format. Since I didn't practice much for it, I ended up with a 4.5 with basic understanding of the format from those threads and magoosh.

Reactions: 1 users
School: University of California Santa Barbara
Major: B.A Economics/Mathematics & B.S. Statistics with an Actuarial Emphasis
B.A. & B.S. GPA: 3.14 (beautiful number to math nerds; not that helpful when applying to competitive schools)

School: San Francisco State University
Major/Emphasis: Single Subject Teaching Credential

Cumulative GPA: 3.33
Last 60 Units GPA: 3.95
Pre Req GPA: 4.0
GRE: 156V, 155Q, 4.0 Writing (this was my second attempt and my first attempt: I scored 147V, 152Q 3.5 W)

Volunteer:
100+hrs in a community-based setting participating in horticultural and gardening-related activities with: homeless veterans in a mental health facility, adults, teens, and children in a school-based garden program with adults, teens, and children, inpatient stroke rehabilitation clients in a skilled nursing hospital, and Spanish-speaking ex-convict women in recovery at a women's shelter.

100+hrs in a community-based setting at various community service events with the MOA Foundation: volunteered at Special Olympics, participated in a Boy Scouts tree planting project, facilitated in a flower arranging craft booth at a therapy farm, and fundraised and participated in National Alliance for Mental Illness (NAMI).

100+hrs at a specialized therapeutic school that serves publicly and privately sponsored students with complex learning challenges in grades K-12.

Not related to working with OTs but I have several hundred hours leading and facilitating groups with mindfulness practices, yoga, and/or engaging in some way through having conversations, making bars of soap, making food, etc. I have done this for housing groups as well as for support groups for parents of children with developmental disabilities.

TOTAL: 300 hours

LORS
: DSPS (Disabled Students Programs and Services) counselor I worked with, Physiology professor, OT I worked with at DIR/Floortime summer camps, OT I worked with and volunteered with, English Professor where I did a research paper on DIR/Floortime vs ABA Therapy

Job: Mathematics and Art High School Teacher at Comprehensive High Schools as well as Alternative/Continuation High Schools, and Specialized Schools with students with complex learning challenges, Academic and Executive Function Coordinator and Sensory-Enhanced Yoga Instructor at a center for young adults on the spectrum with co-occurring diagnoses, DIR/Floortime Developmental/Play Therapist for autistic children in homes, schools, during OT/Speech sessions, playgrounds, etc., three summers in a row I have traveled to Seattle from the Long Beach area to work at an amazing DIR/Floortime summer camp with phenomenal OTs, therapists, and autistic campers (life changing place to work).

Extras: Multiple yoga trainings (prison yoga training, trauma-informed yoga trainings sensory-enhanced yoga trainings for warriors at ease), California Single Subject Teaching credential,

Rejections: CSUDH (Nov. 2015 & 2018), Loma Linda (Jan. 2019)

Acceptances: USC

I’m posting this for those with low undergraduate GPAs like mine and for those that lose hope from time to time (as I did):

In 2015 when I applied to CSUDH, I thought I was going to be accepted because I had met the requirements. I had no idea how competitive it was until I spoke with the head of the OT department. She pulled out a list of applicants from a 14 page document and was looking for my name. I was on page 7. PAGE 7!!!! They had over 600 applications that year and I was probably ranked right in the middle at #300. I did not understand why this was the case given that I had great work and volunteer experience and given that I had a letter of recommendation from an OT professor whom I worked with and who taught at CSUDH! She explained that, due to the overwhelming amount of applicants, they do not look at candidates holistically and have had to come up with a system to narrow down the applicants. They focus on GRE scores, undergraduate GPA, and prerequisite GPA. It did not seem fair to me (I was in my feelings). I had two bachelor's degrees and a post bacc degree (teaching credential) and I thought those things were not fairly accounted for (again, I was in my feelings). The department chair said that the only way I can make myself more competitive is to increase my GRE score to at least 311 and to increase my writing score to a 4.0 but preferably a 4.5.

I was not able to work on my GRE until a few years later given how much I worked (I was holding down at times 3 jobs and one year I had 240 students on top of working after school and on weekends). There were times when I thought maybe I should just continue teaching and forget about pursuing my dream of being an OT but I knew I would not be 100% happy because I wanted to work 1:1 and I wanted to address more than academics. I ended up retaking the GRE in October of 2018 and received a higher score which would make me competitive at CSUDH. CSUDH rejected me. I applied to Loma Linda. I had an interview and did well on the interview but was rejected due to my low GPA. This left me confused. Why would Loma Linda put me through an interview when they could have rejected me prior to that if my GPA was not sufficient? This was in Jan 2019.

I felt defeated again but quickly came up with a new game plan which was to continue to apply to the competitive schools in California as well as schools outside of California which had lower GPA requirements. I never considered applying to USC due to the price tag. I also figured since they were ranked #3 in the US (talk about competitive) that I would not get in. I recently went to USC for a volunteer orientation at Keck Hospital because I wanted to expand my volunteer experience to hospital settings. I was blown away by what I saw and experienced at the orientation. People were happy to be there and there were graduate students sitting next to me from USC telling me how amazing their experience has been at USC. When I went to the Stanbridge orientation, the graduate students from one of the several programs yelled things like, "get out while you can" and "don't come here. It sucks." It was unsettling.

Something clicked in me that day at USC and that experience during orientation changed me. I was determined to get into USC and I knew I had to apply ASAP because my prerequisites were expiring for the next cycle (2020). I thought my chances of getting in were slim since I was applying late. I spent hours writing my personal statement and spent a couple of hours updating my resume and soon after turned in my application. Within a week, I was sent an acceptance letter! I am so overjoyed and cannot believe the hunt for finding an OT school has come to an end. I know USC comes with a huge price tag but I have been looking at ways to make it work. For instance, there are companies or hospitals that may offer to pay a chunk of your student loans for you. I have also looked into loan forgiveness programs which I participated in when I was a teacher and that seems doable.

Due to these experiences, I 100% believe that it is possible to get into OT school even if you have a low GPA. Here are my recommendations if you have a low GPA:

1. If your school requires the GRE, increase your score well-above the minimum GRE score for said school. Make your GRE competitive and ask the school what those numbers look like to be competitive.

2. Increase your GRE score by using platforms such as Magoosh and make a plan for when you will study and for how long. Break this task down into small manageable chunks like you would do for a student that you may be working with or with someone who has difficulties with executive functions.

3. If you get rejected, contact the school or the department head and set-up a face-to-face meeting if possible (I understand this is not feasible and if this is the case then have a phone or zoom/skype meeting) to find out the specifics as to why you were rejected if this is not written in your rejection letter.

4. Apply to several schools (not just competitive schools, or schools that are only in a specific geographic location, or the cheapest schools, etc.). You'll need to do research to find out which schools look at applicants holistically, which schools look at the last 60 units to calculate your GPA,and the like. Get specific.

5. Ask people on here for help/guidance. There are several people on this website that have struggled and have had to problem solve to figure out how to overcome said challenge. You are not alone in this.

6. Put yourself in challenging situations: take a class that is going to challenge you even if you do not need to take it. I took public speaking. I am comfortable speaking in front of my students but I would often times have difficulty speaking in front of my peers and this class helped make the experience much more enjoyable despite it being challenging.

7. Make all of this fun if possible and have a team of people that support you like friends or family or even people on this platform. We are social people, even introverts, and it is through our connections that we can become stronger and more resilient.

Good luck everyone! Fight on! Please feel free to reach out to me for any questions.

Last edited:
Reactions: 8 users
B.A. & B.S. GPA: 3.14 (beautiful number to math nerds; not that helpful when applying to competitive schools)

GRE: 156V, 155Q, 4.0 Writing (this was my second attempt and my first attempt: I scored 147V, 152Q 3.5 W)

Volunteer:
100+hrs in a community-based setting participating in horticultural and gardening-related activities with: homeless veterans in a mental health facility, adults, teens, and children in a school-based garden program with adults, teens, and children, inpatient stroke rehabilitation clients in a skilled nursing hospital, and Spanish-speaking ex-convict women in recovery at a women's shelter.

100+hrs in a community-based setting at various community service events with the MOA Foundation: volunteered at Special Olympics, participated in a Boy Scouts tree planting project, facilitated in a flower arranging craft booth at a therapy farm, and fundraised and participated in National Alliance for Mental Illness (NAMI).

100+hrs at a specialized therapeutic school that serves publicly and privately sponsored students with complex learning challenges in grades K-12.

Not related to working with OTs but I have several hundred hours leading and facilitating groups with mindfulness practices, yoga, and/or engaging in some way through having conversations, making bars of soap, making food, etc. I have done this for housing groups as well as for support groups for parents of children with developmental disabilities.

LORS
: DSPS (Disabled Students Programs and Services) counselor I worked with, Physiology professor, OT I worked with at DIR/Floortime summer camps, OT I worked with and volunteered with, English Professor where I did a research paper on DIR/Floortime vs ABA Therapy

Job: Mathematics and Art High School Teacher at Comprehensive High Schools as well as Alternative/Continuation High Schools, and Specialized Schools with students with complex learning challenges, Academic and Executive Function Coordinator and Sensory-Enhanced Yoga Instructor at a center for young adults on the spectrum with co-occurring diagnoses, DIR/Floortime Developmental/Play Therapist for autistic children in homes, schools, during OT/Speech sessions, playgrounds, etc., three summers in a row I have traveled to Seattle from the Long Beach area to work at an amazing DIR/Floortime summer camp with phenomenal OTs, therapists, and autistic campers (life changing place to work).

Extras: Multiple yoga trainings (prison yoga training, trauma-informed yoga trainings sensory-enhanced yoga trainings for warriors at ease), California Single Subject Teaching credential,

I’m posting this for those with low undergraduate GPAs like mine and for those that lose hope from time to time (as I did):

In 2015 when I applied to CSUDH, I thought I was going to be accepted because I had met the requirements. I had no idea how competitive it was until I spoke with the head of the OT department. She pulled out a list of applicants from a 14 page document and was looking for my name. I was on page 7. PAGE 7!!!! They had over 600 applications that year and I was probably ranked right in the middle at #300. I did not understand why this was the case given that I had great work and volunteer experience and given that I had a letter of recommendation from an OT professor whom I worked with and who taught at CSUDH! She explained that, due to the overwhelming amount of applicants, they do not look at candidates holistically and have had to come up with a system to narrow down the applicants. They focus on GRE scores, undergraduate GPA, and prerequisite GPA. It did not seem fair to me (I was in my feelings). I had two bachelor's degrees and a post bacc degree (teaching credential) and I thought those things were not fairly accounted for (again, I was in my feelings). The department chair said that the only way I can make myself more competitive is to increase my GRE score to at least 311 and to increase my writing score to a 4.0 but preferably a 4.5.

I was not able to work on my GRE until a few years later given how much I worked (I was holding down at times 3 jobs and one year I had 240 students on top of working after school and on weekends). There were times when I thought maybe I should just continue teaching and forget about pursuing my dream of being an OT but I knew I would not be 100% happy because I wanted to work 1:1 and I wanted to address more than academics. I ended up retaking the GRE in October of 2018 and received a higher score which would make me competitive at CSUDH. CSUDH rejected me. I applied to Loma Linda. I had an interview and did well on the interview but was rejected due to my low GPA. This left me confused. Why would Loma Linda put me through an interview when they could have rejected me prior to that if my GPA was not sufficient? This was in Jan 2019.

I felt defeated again but quickly came up with a new game plan which was to continue to apply to the competitive schools in California as well as schools outside of California which had lower GPA requirements. I never considered applying to USC due to the price tag. I also figured since they were ranked #3 in the US (talk about competitive) that I would not get in. I recently went to USC for a volunteer orientation at Keck Hospital because I wanted to expand my volunteer experience to hospital settings. I was blown away by what I saw and experienced at the orientation. People were happy to be there and there were graduate students sitting next to me from USC telling me how amazing their experience has been at USC. When I went to the Stanbridge orientation, the graduate students from one of the several programs yelled things like, "get out while you can" and "don't come here. It sucks." It was unsettling.

Something clicked in me that day at USC and that experience during orientation changed me. I was determined to get into USC and I knew I had to apply ASAP because my prerequisites were expiring for the next cycle (2020). I thought my chances of getting in were slim since I was applying late. I spent hours writing my personal statement and spent a couple of hours updating my resume and soon after turned in my application. Within a week, I was sent an acceptance letter! I am so overjoyed and cannot believe the hunt for finding an OT school has come to an end. I know USC comes with a huge price tag but I have been looking at ways to make it work. For instance, there are companies or hospitals that may offer to pay a chunk of your student loans for you. I have also looked into loan forgiveness programs which I participated in when I was a teacher and that seems doable.

Due to these experiences, I 100% believe that it is possible to get into OT school even if you have a low GPA. Here are my recommendations if you have a low GPA:

1. If your school requires the GRE, increase your score well-above the minimum GRE score for said school. Make your GRE competitive and ask the school what those numbers look like to be competitive.

2. Increase your GRE score by using platforms such as Magoosh and make a plan for when you will study and for how long. Break this task down into small manageable chunks like you would do for a student that you may be working with or with someone who has difficulties with executive functions.

3. If you get rejected, contact the school or the department head and set-up a face-to-face meeting if possible (I understand this is not feasible and if this is the case then have a phone or zoom/skype meeting) to find out the specifics as to why you were rejected if this is not written in your rejection letter.

4. Apply to several schools (not just competitive schools, or schools that are only in a specific geographic location, or the cheapest schools, etc.). You'll need to do research to find out which schools look at applicants holistically, which schools look at the last 60 units to calculate your GPA,and the like. Get specific.

5. Ask people on here for help/guidance. There are several people on this website that have struggled and have had to problem solve to figure out how to overcome said challenge. You are not alone in this.

6. Put yourself in challenging situations: take a class that is going to challenge you even if you do not need to take it. I took public speaking. I am comfortable speaking in front of my students but I would often times have difficulty speaking in front of my peers and this class helped make the experience much more enjoyable despite it being challenging.

7. Make all of this fun if possible and have a team of people that support you like friends or family or even people on this platform. We are social people, even introverts, and it is through our connections that we can become stronger and more resilient.

Good luck everyone! Fight on! Please feel free to reach out to me for any questions.
Fight on! This is a wonderful inspirational story. I look forward to joining you at USC :)

Hello, I am just another student trying to get into school! can someone please tell me if my stats are good. or should I wait till next year?
Cum GPA 3.1
Pre-REQ 3.6
Observation hours: 20hr( HandT), 150 ( Hospital) 150 in Pediatric T
Work experience: Special Education Aide for 3 years, Camp counselor for kids- adults with mental disabilities. Volunteered in Autism Awareness walk 3 years.

I believe my personal statement is really good
I have 4 recommendation: 2 DR and 1 supervisor and 1 OT

Applying: Midwestern, Westcoast,UNE, Pacific, Standbridge, University of Missouri,

Please HELP ME!
Hey I hope all is well. Are there any schools that you may be attending?

So I can finally post in here since I have finally been accepted and will be attending a program in the spring!

Cumulative GPA: 3.09
Last 60 Units GPA: 3.45
Pre Req GPA: 3.2-3.7 depending on school
GRE: 144V, 149Q, 4.0 Writing

Volunteer:
44 SNF
30 Hand therapy
3 Pediatrics Social Skills Group
75 Pediatrics – specialization feeding therapy
401 Paid Job at Pediatric OT Clinic as an instructor leading groups of kids in fine and gross motor skills program
18 Pediatric OT mentorship, program is ran outdoors, called Outdoor kids OT
TOTAL: 571 hours

LORS
: OT I worked with at the Peds clinic, Physiology professor
Job: Registered Behavior Technician for kids on the Autism Spectrum 1.5 years
Extra:CPR Certified , RBT Certification
Autism Speaks Walk 2017

Rejections: Pacific University, Midwestern, A.T. Still, University of the Sciences, West Coast University

Waitlisted: Samuel Merritt

Acceptances: Samuel Merritt (off the waitlist), University of St. Augustine - Austin, TX

Attending: University of St. Augustine - Austin Spring 2019!!!

I’m just posting this for those with low GPAs like mine. It’s very possible to get acceptances. I suggest re taking pre reqs with C grades and get As in any pre reqs you have left to complete. Also get great letters of rec and write an outstanding personal statement. It was very disheartening to get so many denials and I initially thought Samuel Merritt was my number one choice school, but that changed after seeing University of St. Augustine. Also I had refused to take the GRE and only applied to programs that didn’t require the exam. After so many denials, I decided to just take the test and see what happens. My score wasn’t great but it allowed me to apply to USA, without the exam I wouldn’t have been able to apply and that is the program I will be attending! Keep going, don’t give up, it all works out the way it’s supposed to in the end!!
Hey, what program were you accepted to?

Volunteer:

LORS

Congrats! I'm a non-traditional, career-changing applicant hoping to start USC in 2020. My cumulative GPA is not the best (3.44), so this gives me hope! My last 120 hours are 3.89, but it's hard to recover from 5 Fs that I got almost 20 years ago. I'm hoping that USC's holistic approach takes my 20 years of active military service and life experience into account :)

Congrats! I'm a non-traditional, career-changing applicant hoping to start USC in 2020. My cumulative GPA is not the best (3.44), so this gives me hope! My last 120 hours are 3.89, but it's hard to recover from 5 Fs that I got almost 20 years ago. I'm hoping that USC's holistic approach takes my 20 years of active military service and life experience into account :)

Thank you! I can relate to receiving a few bad grades in undergrad. Your work experiences as well as life experiences sound just what USC is looking for and highlight those in your personal statement. Let yourself shine in your statement. Spend several hours on your personal statement and have a few people read it. I am rooting for you! :)

Stats:
Overall GPA: 3.32
Prereq GPA: 3.5
GRE: Verbal 163, Quant 153, Writing 5

Volunteer/Work:
OT Aide at Hand Therapy Clinic: ~400 hours (paid)
Pediatrics: 14
Outpatient Geriatric: 20
School for children with disabilities: 20

Other Experience:
Health/wellness intern at assisted living facility
PT aide at physical therapy clinic - 1300+ hours

LOR:
1 OT, 1 work employer, 2 professors

what are my chances of getting into OT programs?

Hi everyone! I am applying this cycle and I am really scared because no one I know has been through it so I have had to figure everything out on my own. Any advice/tips would really help!

Major: Double Major in Public Health and Elementary Education
Overall GPA: ~3.75 (A- average on my university's grading scale)
Pre-Req GPA: 4.0
GRE: Taking in September
Schools: USC, Loma Linda, CSUDH, Dominican, Pittsburgh, NYU, Columbia, looking at more schools in the Midwest/South/East Coast that do not require the GRE (would love any suggestions)!
Volunteer hours: 250 as a lead volunteer at a OT based karate clinic, 150 hours as the summer lead teacher at the Boys and Girls Club
Shadowing: 60 pediatric, 60 outpatient
Related experience: Presented my research about effective therapies for children with ASD at a symposium, currently working on another project on children with ASD, over 200 hours of research experience
EC: Campus tour guide, greek life, first aid team for youth camps (serving over 1000 kids), university student government, worked for/ represented student housing for 3 years

brenau doesnt require the GRE!

Hey everyone! I've been creeping for over a year now, and it's finally time I post. I'm an older, non-traditional college student who jumped on the OT path about a year and a half ago. I've had to work really hard to get to where I am, and am really nervous.. reply with any advice please! I can handle it.

University: University of Louisville
Overall GPA: ~3.5
Last 60 hours: ~3.8-3.87
Pre-req GPA: ~3.8-4.0 depending on school
GRE: retaking - scored low on Q. 138Q/ 154V/ 4.5W

Observation: 120 hours (geriatric home health, mental health/psych, SNF, public schools, pediatric outpatient, inpatient neuro)
Work: Rehab Tech at a Rehab Inpatient Hospital (started this last month) / I also waitress full time at night at a steakhouse downtown
Volunteer: volunteer at a foster care facility for medically fragile children (nonverbal, ventilators, trach tubes, etc.). (about 200 hours)
Leadership: president and founder of the Allied Health Club on campus (help students with networking, live discussions with professional, grad school application prep, etc.)
Research: Infant Cognition Lab (infant development) undergrad research assistant.
Honors: Psi Chi Psychology honor society/ Dean's list entire time at UofL undergrad.
LOR: 1 from OT/ 1 from research professor/ 1 from adviser of my club and teaches A+P plus biomechanics

Intended Schools: University of Washington (seattle), Puget Sound, st. Augustine (san marcos and Austin), Colorado State, University of Illinois at Chicago, North Central College, and maybe a few more..

UPDATE:
Acceptances: North Central College, St. Augustine- San Marcos (waiting to hear from all others)
Did you get in with or without the new GRE score?

Hello everyone, I will begin applying this cycle! And I just want some input on my stats

University: University of West Georgia
Major: Psychology with a minor in Sociology
Overall GPA: 3.57
Pre-Req GPA: 3.71
GRE: Low and I’m a bad standardized tester, so I’m applying to schools that don’t require it.

Extra-Curric: 400+ hours nannying a child with Rett Syndrome, 150+ hours working at a day care, volunteer of The Brian T. Rounds Youth Association for five years, Dean’s List (3x) since being in college, a member of The National Council of Negro Women, Honors College, University Ambassador, and a member of the Black Student Alliance. Created my own foundation that donated female hygiene products to churches and women’s shelters.

Observation/Volunteer: 170+ hours between hand therapist, pediatric therapist (where we used the neurosuit), and SNF.

LOR: Employer(Mother of child with Rett Syndrome), SNF Occupational therapist, and Pediatric occupational therapist

Acceptances: Applying to Lenoir-Rhyne University, Cox College, Brenau University and Gannon University (Ruskin campus)

Rejections:

Interviews:

How do I look so far? Thanks guys!

Last edited:
Hello everyone, I will begin applying this cycle! And I just want some input on my stats

University: University of West Georgia
Major: Psychology with a minor in Sociology
Overall GPA: 3.57
Pre-Req GPA: 3.71
GRE: Low and I’m a bad standardized tester, so I’m applying to schools that don’t require it.

Extra-Curric: 400+ hours nannying a child with Rett Syndrome, 150+ hours working at a day care, volunteer of The Brian T. Rounds Youth Association for five years, Dean’s List (3x) since being in college, a member of The National Council of Negro Women, Honors College, University Ambassador, and a member of the Black Student Alliance. Created my own foundation that donated female hygiene products to churches and women’s shelters.

Observation/Volunteer: 170+ hours between hand therapist, pediatric therapist (where we used the neurosuit), and SNF.

LOR: Employer(Mother of child with Rett Syndrome), SNF Occupational therapist, and Pediatric occupational therapist

Acceptances: Applying to Lenoir-Rhyne University, Cox College, Brenau University and Gannon University (Ruskin campus)

Rejections:

Interviews:

How do I look so far? Thanks guys!

Your stats look good!! You have a unique volunteer experience with your own foundation that i think is an excellent talking point. I have no doubt that you’ll atleast get an interview at most of your schools. Now just kill it at those and you’ll be golden!! :)

Your stats look good!! You have a unique volunteer experience with your own foundation that i think is an excellent talking point. I have no doubt that you’ll atleast get an interview at most of your schools. Now just kill it at those and you’ll be golden!! :)

Thank you so much! I needed this push!! I was getting scared!

Thank you so much! I needed this push!! I was getting scared!

This process is super stressful! My stats were just average last year but I got offered an interview at every school I applied to. Just be yourself in your interview and i’m sure you’ll be great! Best of luck! :)

Hey everyone! I am currently deciding on if I should apply this cycle. I am looking for some feedback on my stats and input on how I could make my application stronger.

Undergrad degree: BS in Health & Exercise Science
Graduate degree: MS in Athletic Training
cGPA: 3.21
pGPA: 3.11
Last 60: 3.91
GRE: V - 152, Q - 158, AW - 4.0
** retaking a couple of science courses this summer to increase my GPA

Observation hours: 240 (ortho/sports outpatient, subacute hospital, pediatric hospital), and should get about 280 more at the outpatient facility where I work as a PT aide; also have 1000+ athletic training hours

LOR: 2 PTs from the outpatient facility that I work at, 1 from the program director of my athletic training program

Extracurriculars: I work as a personal trainer at a health/wellness facility, was an RA at my undergrad university, have worked as camp counselor for a sports camp, volunteer for the Special Olympics, volunteer at a local animal shelter, volunteered for a program that taught parents of children with intellectual and physical disabilities how to engage in physical activity with their children, student ambassador for my undergrad and graduate universities, and was vice president of my undergrad's exercise science club.

Applying to: Temple University, Widener University, Rutgers South, SUNY Upstate, Marymount University, and Howard University (maybe a few others).

Any input or advice would be greatly appreciated! Good luck to everyone applying this cycle!

I’m going through the cycle as well so I’m not experienced at all but the fact that you have a Bachelor’s and Master’s in exercise fields means you have to know your stuff and LOVE your stuff and I think they would love that about you. Plus, you have a lot of experience and volunteer work. I did some extra classes this summer too to give my GPA a boost, so that’s going to help a lot too. Good luck!!