This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Choice_

Reaction score
Hi all,

I am an aspiring dentist and will be applying to grad school (most likely an MS in biology) to help further strengthen my application before applying to dental school. While I do enjoy biology, I really am applying just to further bolster my credentials as a dental applicant. I've been working with a hometown dentist since high school and have developed quite the connection with her. Upon asking her for a letter of recommendation for grad school, she happily accepted but told me I would have to do most of the writing myself since her English isn't that great.

If I am applying to a biology program but am receiving the letter from a dentist while having the true intention of still wanting to become a dentist as the end game, how would I go about writing this letter of recommendation? Should I even include my intentions of using grad school as a stepping stone or should I omit part this completely? I'm just a bit confused as to what the narrative of my letter should be.

I.E. Narrative of "Applicant worked with me because he used to want to be a dentist but now he wants to pursue biology, I'm still sure he'll still do great things in the field"

or

I.E. Narrative of "Applicant worked with me and shows strong dedication of wanting to be a dentist but he wants to gain more experience in biology before applying to dental school"

TLDR I am applying to Biology grad to boost credentials before applying to dental school. Am receiving a letter of rec for grad program from a dentist who tells me I can write it myself. Should I make it known in the letter that I am using the grad program as a stepping stone to dental school or not? Not sure if saying I intend on becoming a dentist afterwards will hurt my chances.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

In my personal opinion, I would first look at what the master's program asks for. Most of the ones I looked at asked for science professors and that is it. The next thing to do if they want a professional letter would be to look at what the program is geared for. For instance, here at Midwestern, it is well understood that you are coming to this program as a stepping stone. Thus a letter talking about your future goals might not be a bad option. If, however, you are applying to a strong research program it might make you a less attractive candidate as you are not "interested" in the field.

First thing though is look at what letters they are looking for.