Graduated from Jordan, interested in Australia

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ahmad moq

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey, Im about to graduate from Jordan this summer..
thinking alot about doing medical residency in Australia, a relative doctor works there and he advised me come there..

I read alot about Australia but as I read more details I get more confused..

I really wanna hear what do I have to do to come there, i know there are two exams, mcq and clinical one.. but i would like to know more about the exam

And after im done with the exam, what then? Intern for one, two years? And how would i choose my speciality, what are the available speciality options for a foreign medical student like me? The ones I don’t have to wait too many years to get.. and other options just to be clear, and how about general surgery speciality there and its subs? How about the minors like ophthalmology?

And its okay to do one year internship in my country after graduation then come to Australia?

Then, the lifestyle and the outcome will it be enough to live there?
Please add whatever more info you find helpful too.. im really confused

Thanks in advance

Members don't see this ad.

Hey, scroll down this forum to two threads:
1. "IMG moving to Australia" started by Adnan123456789.
2. Scroll waaaaay down to a thread started by a poster that goes by CP, an American doctor who immigrated to Australia a few years back.
They are places to start.

Surgery - would on avrg have to wait till PGY5-6. Ophthalmology - is like the most competitive of them all. Any surgical field requires PR in your current situation as a fresh grad or soon to be one. Google Royal College of Surgeons Australia.

Quickest - rural family medicine or rural generalist. Psychiatry maybe.

after intern years its resident years. after that, it's registrar years on a training program. best to Google becoming a doctor by AMA (Australian Medical Association).

Reactions: 1 user
Hey, scroll down this forum to two threads:
1. "IMG moving to Australia" started by Adnan123456789.
2. Scroll waaaaay down to a thread started by a poster that goes by CP, an American doctor who immigrated to Australia a few years back.
They are places to start.

Surgery - would on avrg have to wait till PGY5-6. Ophthalmology - is like the most competitive of them all. Any surgical field requires PR in your current situation as a fresh grad or soon to be one. Google Royal College of Surgeons Australia.

Quickest - rural family medicine or rural generalist. Psychiatry maybe.

after intern years its resident years. after that, it's registrar years on a training program. best to Google becoming a doctor by AMA (Australian Medical Association).

Thanks a lot :)
What are the available easy specialities there beside family medicine?

Members don't see this ad :)
So, you would still have to do resident years and pass the AMCs first. Maybe focus on that rather what is 'easy' to get into. As you wouldn't be able to obtain access anything without those hurdles.

But depending on what hospital hires you, rehab medicine, internal medicine or psychiatry. Things that are not surgical. Emphasis on it depends on state and hospital, because in some places all competitive. If you go rural then it is easier to get into something, there's a need for doctors there. It is much harder in the cities.

So, you would still have to do resident years and pass the AMCs first. Maybe focus on that rather what is 'easy' to get into. As you wouldn't be able to obtain access anything without those hurdles.

But depending on what hospital hires you, rehab medicine, internal medicine or psychiatry. Things that are not surgical. Emphasis on it depends on state and hospital, because in some places all competitive. If you go rural then it is easier to get into something, there's a need for doctors there. It is much harder in the cities.

I know about the AMC exams, but i heard i can do the first then the second i can do it while doing my general year(s), is that right?

I really don’t know much about the Australian residency and how it affects everything, I will be thankful if you can direct me into something related

I know about the AMC exams, but i heard i can do the first then the second i can do it while doing my general year(s), is that right?

I really don’t know much about the Australian residency and how it affects everything, I will be thankful if you can direct me into something related
You can get limited registration with just the AMC1. I would double check with CP - who was an IMG and has gone through the whole process. Whereas - you're relying on my second hand opinion I'm afraid (I'm not an IMG).

What does residency affect? I can't tell what you're asking. Look up or Google "Becoming a doctor" by the Australian Medical Association. It outlines the training process here in detail.

You can get limited registration with just the AMC1. I would double check with CP - who was an IMG and has gone through the whole process. Whereas - you're relying on my second hand opinion I'm afraid (I'm not an IMG).

What does residency affect? I can't tell what you're asking. Look up or Google "Becoming a doctor" by the Australian Medical Association. It outlines the training process here in detail.

Thank you very much
I will look it up